M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding

10-21-2020, 05:41 PM   #111
A3ch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 X5 M, 14 BMW M5

@SCD-1983 where is your US contact located? I'm just wrapping my arms around the logistics of shipping and programming, etc
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 06:48 PM   #112
SCD-1983
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 Frozen Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by A3ch View Post
@SCD-1983 where is your US contact located? I'm just wrapping my arms around the logistics of shipping and programming, etc
He is located in Miami, Florida. I will share more details once we programmed a display key successfully.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 10:22 PM   #113
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

I messaged a guy on Facebook advertising his key fob replacements and programming. He said he can do it for me for $300. I even told him it's a 2016 M5 and showed him it's a display key.

I asked about remote programming and he said it can be done, but it's somewhat hard. He would need your car's FEM (Body Control Module), a working key fob, and the new key fob. You send him that and he will do it for $150 and send it back the same day.

Now I have no idea what an FEM is, but I'm assuming it's not so easy to take out since he's charging me $300 vs $150? Idk.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 11:26 PM   #114
SCD-1983
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_Raz View Post
I messaged a guy on Facebook advertising his key fob replacements and programming. He said he can do it for me for $300. I even told him it's a 2016 M5 and showed him it's a display key.

I asked about remote programming and he said it can be done, but it's somewhat hard. He would need your car's FEM (Body Control Module), a working key fob, and the new key fob. You send him that and he will do it for $150 and send it back the same day.

Now I have no idea what an FEM is, but I'm assuming it's not so easy to take out since he's charging me $300 vs $150? Idk.
I apologize for the lengthy post upfront, I will guide everyone through the exact process:

First of all, our display key is not an original BMW part. If you order an original BMW key, it will come preprogrammed to your car and all you need to do is to adapt the new key to your car. No additional programming required, but it's expensive and you can only get the same key you already have. If you lost all your original keys, it's often necessary!

Secondly, our display key cannot be an original BMW part, otherwise it would not be possible to adapt it to our cars. The original display key as only offered on selected 2018+ vehicles, like G30.
The aftermarket display key I offer here consists of 2 parts: the display key itself and a communication module. The communication module allows the display key to communicate with the headunit and obtain data, like fuel range, battery voltage, alarm status. It is directly connected to the headunit via the iDrive knob or the dome light area. I will provide pictured instructions on the installation of this communication module, it's an easy task. But it cannot open your car, lock your car or start your car. That's where the key programming comes into play.

I will pause here for a moment...so, after hooking up the communication module, our display key will already show a lot of information and the display works. The information display is totally independent from the key programming, this part will work immediately, since it's just reading data!!!

Ok, now the most important part: in order to pair our aftermarket display key to our cars, key programming is required. This procedure requires the removal of the CAS4, I will provide instructions for the F10 platform. It's in an awkward position under the steering column, but it can be done, no special skills needed. The CAS4 and 1 original key are necessary for 2 reasons: the CAS4 will be programmed to add the new display key and the original key will be copied, so the new key works just like the original key. Even the saved key profile, e.g. seat position, radio stations, climate control settings, will be the same.

Summary: I removed the CAS4 myself and shipped it, together with 1 original key and the new display key, to my locksmith and he returned all items via mail. Then I installed my CAS4 again and initiated the display key according to my BMW manual and it works since. If I add postage, I paid $125 total, so $150 seems absolutely reasonable!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 11:32 PM   #115
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCD-1983 View Post
Quote:

I apologize for the lengthy post upfront, I will guide everyone through the exact process:

First of all, our display key is not an original BMW part. If you order an original BMW key, it will come preprogrammed to your car and all you need to do is to adapt the new key to your car. No additional programming required, but it's expensive and you can only get the same key you already have. If you lost all your original keys, it's often necessary!

Secondly, our display key cannot be an original BMW part, otherwise it would not be possible to adapt it to our cars. The original display key as only offered on selected 2018+ vehicles, like G30.
The aftermarket display key I offer here consists of 2 parts: the display key itself and a communication module. The communication module allows the display key to communicate with the headunit and obtain data, like fuel range, battery voltage, alarm status. It is directly connected to the headunit via the iDrive knob or the dome light area. I will provide pictured instructions on the installation of this communication module, it's an easy task. But it cannot open your car, lock your car or start your car. That's where the key programming comes into play.

I will pause here for a moment...so, after hooking up the communication module, our display key will already show a lot of information and the display works. The information display is totally independent from the key programming, this part will work immediately, since it's just reading data!!!
So a summary:

1. Install communication module for receiving car information on the display key.

2. Have someone program the display key to lock and unlock the car.

Is that correct?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 04:13 AM   #116
SCD-1983
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So a summary:

1. Install communication module for receiving car information on the display key.

Is that correct?
Absolutely correct!!!

The display itself will work without any programming, this part is DIY.

The pairing with the car requires key programming via CAS4, since the new key must be added. This task can only be performed by a professional with the appropriate equipment.

$300 is overpriced, $150 including shipping is fair!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 10:16 PM   #117
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So a summary:

Is that correct?
Absolutely correct!!!

The pairing with the car requires key programming via CAS4, since the new key must be added. This task can only be performed by a professional with the appropriate equipment.

Unfortunately I will have to opt out of the buy, it's not worth the hassle for me. I am sure these guys won't be able to install the communication module. Not even sure about the key tbh. Thank you all for trying to make this work.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 12:48 AM   #118
SCD-1983
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So a summary:

Is that correct?
Absolutely correct!!!

Unfortunately I will have to opt out of the buy, it's not worth the hassle for me. I am sure these guys won't be able to install the communication module. Not even sure about the key tbh. Thank you all for trying to make this work.
I understand the hesitation, but I didn't hesitate to jump in the cold water to purchase these keys!
The installation of the communication module is a breeze in LCI F10 models, here are the instructions, takes only 10 minutes tops and everyone can do it.
The removal of the CAS4 is rather easy as well, it's held in place by one single screw, see picture below.

To sum it up, after performing every single step myself:

1. Connect communication module
2. Remove CAS4
3. Ship CAS4, new display key & 1 original key to locksmith
4. Re-install CAS4 and enjoy!!!

Changing plugs might be a challenge on these cars, but certainly not having a nice display key.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 06:55 AM   #119
SCD-1983
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

@all: another update

The displays keys were dispatched just yesterday, COVID affected my source and his supply chain, but they are on the way now. I know it takes longer than promised, I will post pics once they are here.
Furthermore, I ordered a key programming kit for the US based technician, its firm delivery date is 11/3 at my house. Once the kit arrived, it will be checked and then sent to the US. So a reliable key copy solution should be available shortly.

If there are any questions, please let me know.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 02:45 PM   #120
NZ-M340ixDrive
Private First Class
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
I understand the hesitation, but I didn't hesitate to jump in the cold water to purchase these keys!
The installation of the communication module is a breeze in LCI F10 models, here are the instructions, takes only 10 minutes tops and everyone can do it.
The removal of the CAS4 is rather easy as well, it's held in place by one single screw, see picture below.

2. Remove CAS4

Changing plugs might be a challenge on these cars, but certainly not having a nice display key.
Hi there

Just seeing if this retrofit is easily done on a pre lci f10?
I’m keen, plus I saw the kies motorsport to install but no link to where to buy?
I know I’m slightly late to the table but any help would be great
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 12:37 AM   #121
SCD-1983
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji335i View Post
Quote:

2. Remove CAS4

Hi there

I’m keen, plus I saw the kies motorsport to install but no link to where to buy?
I know I’m slightly late to the table but any help would be great
It's quite an easy installation, just a little bit more wiring work than in LCI models. All 07/13 and up models with NBT simply require a plug connection directly to the iDrive controller. All pre-LCI models require a hook-up in the dome light area, but it's DIY.
Finding display keys online is rather easy, but locating a high quality version that can be successfully programmed to our cars is a huge challenge. I purchased several display keys before I found a reliable source.
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2020, 12:39 AM   #122
NZ-M340ixDrive
Private First Class
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

2. Remove CAS4

Hi there

I'm keen, plus I saw the kies motorsport to install but no link to where to buy?
I know I'm slightly late to the table but any help would be great
It's quite an easy installation, just a little bit more wiring work than in LCI models. All 07/13 and up models with NBT simply require a plug connection directly to the iDrive controller. All pre-LCI models require a hook-up in the dome light area, but it's DIY.
Finding display keys online is rather easy, but locating a high quality version that can be successfully programmed to our cars is a huge challenge. I purchased several display keys before I found a reliable source.
Who was your reliable source buddy?
Appreciate the explanation I'm unfortunately CIC
M340i xDrive Top Mount big single in the works
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 12:58 AM   #123
SCD-1983
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

2. Remove CAS4

Hi there

I'm keen, plus I saw the kies motorsport to install but no link to where to buy?
I know I'm slightly late to the table but any help would be great
Who was your reliable source buddy?
Appreciate the explanation I'm unfortunately CIC
I'm working with a professional from Europe, but he only sells larger quantities. I actually had to order 10 keys and start this group buy, he doesn't sell single keys anymore. And CIC is not an issue at all, it will still work flawlessly. I can offer to either get you on this group if people drop out or arrange another group buy. And my offer $269 plus shipping is a group buy deal!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 08:38 AM   #124
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

Anyone even get one in their hands? Seems like big scam...
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 09:06 AM   #125
SCD-1983
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyGerman View Post
Anyone even get one in their hands? Seems like big scam...
Big scam? What are you saying? I have one in my own hands and the keys offered here are on its way via FedEx, so no scam at all. I paid upfront and they will arrive next week, as communicated. Please read the whole thread before judging me and my group buy. I set up this group buy after finding a working solution for our platform, that's all. If you are interested in such a key or have specific questions, please contact me directly.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 10:26 AM   #126
A3ch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Naw not yet. I don't think its a scam. I think we all underestimated the programming side of it. I'm still willing to buy a key and if others on the list still want one I was supposed to be the POC for the American buyers. I just need a clear step 1, 2 etc process. I don't know this car extremely well so im leary about pulling anything off the car to get something "programmed". So yeah I just need a clear understanding of what's involved.
Appreciate 1
SCD-1983575.50
      11-01-2020, 11:42 AM   #127
SCD-1983
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by A3ch View Post
Naw not yet. I don't think its a scam. I think we all underestimated the programming side of it. I'm still willing to buy a key and if others on the list still want one I was supposed to be the POC for the American buyers. I just need a clear step 1, 2 etc process. I don't know this car extremely well so im leary about pulling anything off the car to get something "programmed". So yeah I just need a clear understanding of what's involved.
Thank you for jumping in, I'm not scamming anyone, I bought the goods upfront. We will get the key programming sorted out, I will receive the display keys and key programming kit next week and I will post pics for sure. Thank you for not letting me down, I totally underestimated the programming capabilities in the US. It was a breeze here, but we will build a reliable source in the US as well. Display keys for everyone 💪
Appreciate 2
pmatias03119.00
G80_Jef20.50
      11-01-2020, 09:29 PM   #128
A3ch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Looking forward to the solution.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 08:29 AM   #129
G80_Jef
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW F10 M5 (sold)

If this is still available I am also interested.
Appreciate 1
SCD-1983575.50
      11-04-2020, 10:52 AM   #130
SCD-1983
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex_F10 View Post
If this is still available I am also interested.
Thank you for your interest. Once we establish a programming source for the F10 platform in the US, we will offer more display keys. The key works flawlessly, but we still need a reliable and reasonably priced tech to perform the key copying.
Appreciate 1
G80_Jef20.50
      11-09-2020, 12:58 PM   #131
SCD-1983
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Dear all:

10 display keys finally arrived today and I performed the basic programming as well as pre-check already, adding the BMW M logo on the startup screen
5 keys are 315 MHz (US) and 5 keys are 868 MHz (Europe), I ordered 10x 315 MHz, but the seller sent a mix due to inventory issues and returning is not an option.

Anyway, I just sold one key to a valued forum member in the UK, it will ship shortly

So, I have 5 US keys and 4 Europe display keys on hand, ready for a new home!
The programming deal is not finalized yet, but I wanted to proof the purchase of 10 keys, since this group buy was called a scam at one point!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
pmatias03119.00
Blaxwil627.00
      11-09-2020, 04:54 PM   #132
Hasser
Major
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Quote:
Dear all:

10 display keys finally arrived today and I performed the basic programming as well as pre-check already, adding the BMW M logo on the startup screen
5 keys are 315 MHz (US) and 5 keys are 868 MHz (Europe), I ordered 10x 315 MHz, but the seller sent a mix due to inventory issues and returning is not an option.

Anyway, I just sold one key to a valued forum member in the UK, it will ship shortly

So, I have 5 US keys and 4 Europe display keys on hand, ready for a new home!
The programming deal is not finalized yet, but I wanted to proof the purchase of 10 keys, since this group buy was called a scam at one point!
Hopefully can get this programmed. There is a mobile key company where I live. He comes to you and sorts your keys out.

Will let you all know how I get on.
M235i - sold
Activehybrid 5 - sold
Appreciate 0