M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

10-31-2022, 11:17 PM   #23
Lo-ball
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

I do not think it is a Rod knock, but perhaps you could let us know if you figure out what it was?

My 2013 M5 is doing the same thing. I went to a BMW shop and they (confirmed by other mechanics) follow BMW recommendation that the most likely cause is a leak in exhaust caused by manifold bolts in the V that back out. I had several backed out 10mm and they were replaced along with all of the gaskets there. They replaced breather hoses, heat shields,, oil lines and coolant lines related to the inter coolers.
They indicated when they shut down fuel and spark to #1 the noise stopped.
They had no other recommendations for me and failed to diagnose.

I took the car home, replaced all of the plugs, ignition coils and the injector in #1.

I changed the oil using Liquid Moly Hydraulic lifter fluid additive and ran for a few hundred miles.

I followed old videos recommendation to have car at temp and run past 3k RPM for 3-4 minutes.

The noise continues. At this point I'll either drive it until it breaks something, or take to a shop to replace lifter #1.

Did you ever get yours fixed?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 03:00 PM   #24
DiskoSleaZe
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i 2013 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo-ball View Post
I do not think it is a Rod knock, but perhaps you could let us know if you figure out what it was?

My 2013 M5 is doing the same thing. I went to a BMW shop and they (confirmed by other mechanics) follow BMW recommendation that the most likely cause is a leak in exhaust caused by manifold bolts in the V that back out. I had several backed out 10mm and they were replaced along with all of the gaskets there. They replaced breather hoses, heat shields,, oil lines and coolant lines related to the inter coolers.
They indicated when they shut down fuel and spark to #1 the noise stopped.
They had no other recommendations for me and failed to diagnose.

I took the car home, replaced all of the plugs, ignition coils and the injector in #1.

I changed the oil using Liquid Moly Hydraulic lifter fluid additive and ran for a few hundred miles.

I followed old videos recommendation to have car at temp and run past 3k RPM for 3-4 minutes.

The noise continues. At this point I'll either drive it until it breaks something, or take to a shop to replace lifter #1.

Did you ever get yours fixed?
Any updates on this, anyone? I have a 13 M5 as well...and I just noticed this noise as well. It's a kind of higher pitched noise, and only upon hard acceleration...and NOT all the way through the RPMs. Just between 3-5k. Doesn't sound like rod knock...it def sounds like a old chevy valve ticking noise from a stuck lifter or something.

For reference, I'm a mechanic and pretty anal about oil and changes. Always chamge between 3-5k using Amsoil 5w-40, also oil analysis every second change.
Appreciate 0