M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

09-26-2019, 10:52 PM   #1
tenblade2001
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 White/Red 6MT

Intermittent Fasting

Anyone else doing Intermittent Fasting? What's your regimen? What do you think?
I've been doing it for about 2mo and have lost 15lbs, I usually fast for 18-20hrs/day.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 11:42 PM   #2
arkie6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I do a ketogenic diet and intermittent fasting. I started the keto diet around the first of the year and started intermittent fasting about 3 months ago after seeing my wife's results on it. I usually go ~18 hours without eating. The wife does one-meal-a-day (OMAD). I've lost ~45 pounds so far this year. I've got a few more pounds to lose, but I'm sticking with it primarily for the health benefits (autophagy) and the way I feel.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 11:53 PM   #3
fanatic1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 CS

Garage List
2019 M4CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie6 View Post
I do a ketogenic diet and intermittent fasting. I started the keto diet around the first of the year and started intermittent fasting about 3 months ago after seeing my wife's results on it. I usually go ~18 hours without eating. The wife does one-meal-a-day (OMAD). I've lost ~45 pounds so far this year. I've got a few more pounds to lose, but I'm sticking with it primarily for the health benefits (autophagy) and the way I feel.

Exactly when I am doing.

biggest challenge is coffee in the morning. For Autophagy, in my opinion coffee breaks the fast.

Do you follow Dr Peter Attia?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 12:04 AM   #4
tenblade2001
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
GREAT result! I tried OMAD, but I end up feeling hungry the next day during my fast. For, me I.F. is just a lot easier to maintain than counting macros, specific diet.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 05:43 AM   #5
eugenecp
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Convertible

Garage List
I do mostly 16 hours, 8pm to noon. Weekends I don't. lost 5 lbs.

I still take coffee around 8 am but only Americano or espresso and just black
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2019, 06:26 AM   #6
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenecp View Post
I do mostly 16 hours, 8pm to noon. Weekends I don't. lost 5 lbs.

I still take coffee around 8 am but only Americano or espresso and just black
I've been doing this for about a month, I've lost 10 lbs, I was hungry for the first week or so but can easily go 16-18 hours now. Don't stick to it n the weekend either.

I drink my coffee black so from what I understand that has zero impact.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 07:24 AM   #7
hz_diesel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335ix

I've been doing it for two years now. I don't feel like it's negatively impacted my energy levels or my performance. I go pretty hard at the gym and my numbers have gone up since. While I didn't do the IF to lose weight, I have happily maintained my weight at 170#. I have tried to do IF + keto, I didn't like how dehydrated I felt(I drink plenty of water).

I do 18 hours no food on the weekdays and 16 hours on the weekend but typically it doesn't matter because I'll have my meal before I sleep and the day will reset. I do drink black coffee in the morning, I don't believe it breaks the fast either.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 08:03 AM   #8
tenblade2001
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hz_diesel View Post
I've been doing it for two years now. I don't feel like it's negatively impacted my energy levels or my performance. I go pretty hard at the gym and my numbers have gone up since. While I didn't do the IF to lose weight, I have happily maintained my weight at 170#. I have tried to do IF + keto, I didn't like how dehydrated I felt(I drink plenty of water).

I do 18 hours no food on the weekdays and 16 hours on the weekend but typically it doesn't matter because I'll have my meal before I sleep and the day will reset. I do drink black coffee in the morning, I don't believe it breaks the fast either.
I agree with everyone here, I don't think black coffee is a breaker.
Are there any "gurus" or youtube channels y'all like i.e. Thomas DeLauer or Fledge Fitness?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 09:42 AM   #9
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I started about 4 weeks ago so I could get down on the weight and be able to still run. 200+ was just murdering my lower extremities, and I almost quit soccer (I still LOVE playing) because the Saturday morning plantar fasciitis was BRUTAL.

I lost 10 real quick, then have hit a plateau. Dinner is normally done by 6, 6:30 then I eat again at noon.

I'm insulin-dependent diabetic, so it was kinda scary for me to "skip" a meal, and I found that even with a fasting bs in a good range, I still need to take a small bolus around 8 if I wanted to maintain that respectable bs.

In the morning I have a cup of decaf with some creamer, and a yakult.

I was hungry the first couple days, but soon I adjusted and then was hangry for lunch. Had to concentrate on SLOWLY eating that first meal. Energy actually went up, I wasn't tired all the time at work.

This week, I regressed. I'm on my 3rd foofy caramel macciato this week, and actually had a breakfast sandwich with that on Monday. Oh, and I dozed off a few times that morning. . .
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 10:36 AM   #10
tenblade2001
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I started about 4 weeks ago so I could get down on the weight and be able to still run. 200+ was just murdering my lower extremities, and I almost quit soccer (I still LOVE playing) because the Saturday morning plantar fasciitis was BRUTAL.

I lost 10 real quick, then have hit a plateau. Dinner is normally done by 6, 6:30 then I eat again at noon.

I'm insulin-dependent diabetic, so it was kinda scary for me to "skip" a meal, and I found that even with a fasting bs in a good range, I still need to take a small bolus around 8 if I wanted to maintain that respectable bs.

In the morning I have a cup of decaf with some creamer, and a yakult.

I was hungry the first couple days, but soon I adjusted and then was hangry for lunch. Had to concentrate on SLOWLY eating that first meal. Energy actually went up, I wasn't tired all the time at work.

This week, I regressed. I'm on my 3rd foofy caramel macciato this week, and actually had a breakfast sandwich with that on Monday. Oh, and I dozed off a few times that morning. . .
Hang in there, it gets a lot better. I've heard a couple studies actually show better bs control with IF.
https://diabetesstrong.com/intermitt...pe-1-diabetes/

Last edited by tenblade2001; 09-27-2019 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: added info
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 12:15 PM   #11
arkie6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanatic1 View Post
Exactly when I am doing.

biggest challenge is coffee in the morning. For Autophagy, in my opinion coffee breaks the fast.

Do you follow Dr Peter Attia?
From what I have read, black coffee (nothing added whatsoever), which is what I drink in the morning, doesn't break the fast nor does it affect autophagy. Do you have evidence to the contrary?

The following link and associated references suggests coffee has the opposite effect - it enhances autophagy.

https://lifeapps.io/fasting/coffee-i...and-autophagy/

I am not familiar with Dr. Peter Attia.

These are doctors I subscribe to and follow on youtube that promote a ketogenic diet + intermittent fasting:

Dr. Jason Fung
Dr. Sten Ekberg
Dr. Eric Berg
KenDBerryMD
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 12:40 PM   #12
arkie6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenblade2001 View Post
GREAT result! I tried OMAD, but I end up feeling hungry the next day during my fast. For, me I.F. is just a lot easier to maintain than counting macros, specific diet.
I don't really count macros, but rather just limit or avoid foods that stimulate a large insulin release. No grains of any kind, period. I also try to get plenty of healthy fats in things like locally grown eggs from pasture raised chickens, beef, pork and wild caught salmon and sardines. I eat lots of salads with avocados throw in to get extra fat intake and plenty of olive oil based dressing. I never count how many carbs are in a salad as the fiber far outweighs the digestible carbohydrate in green leafy vegetables. We cook with coconut oil, olive oil, and lard that I render at home. We avoid seed oils like soy and corn oil.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 12:55 PM   #13
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
I did IF for 3 months while I was cutting weight, lost 30 lbs. I stuck to an 8-hour eating window (many times less) and made sure that the very first thing I ate was a banana (with nuts) every day.

Worked wonders for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 01:01 PM   #14
tenblade2001
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
From what I have read, black coffee (nothing added whatsoever), which is what I drink in the morning, doesn't break the fast nor does it affect autophagy. Do you have evidence to the contrary?

The following link and associated references suggests coffee has the opposite effect - it enhances autophagy.

These are doctors I subscribe to and follow on youtube that promote a ketogenic diet + intermittent fasting:

Dr. Jason Fung
Dr. Sten Ekberg
Dr. Eric Berg
KenDBerryMD
Life app is great. I think Fung is one of the leading "thinkers" in IF.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 02:59 PM   #15
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Hang in there, it gets a lot better. I've heard a couple studies actually show better bs control with IF.
https://diabetesstrong.com/intermitt...pe-1-diabetes/
Well, if nothing else I just found an app that connects to my glucose tester. Thank You!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 04:09 PM   #16
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

I try to make it thru the night while sleeping does that count.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      09-27-2019, 08:03 PM   #17
tenblade2001
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
I try to make it thru the night while sleeping does that count.
To paraphrase a buddy of mine... " I fast during night, and carb load during the day"
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 09:58 PM   #18
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
To paraphrase a buddy of mine... " I fast during night, and carb load during the day"
I'm down with that.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2019, 12:56 AM   #19
fanatic1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 CS

Garage List
2019 M4CS  [0.00]
Quote:

Dr. Jason Fung
Dr. Sten Ekberg
Dr. Eric Berg
KenDBerryMD
Familiar w Fung, but also check out Rhonda Patrick. The real challenge, no objective measurement of autophagy yet, but a lot of good research in that direction.

https://podcastnotes.org/2019/04/04/...sting-attia-1/
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 05:58 AM   #20
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

If I don't eat for 8 hours straight I'm pretty sure I'd just keel over lol. After sleeping for 7hrs my body is screaming at me for food, literally.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 06:30 AM   #21
EricVR4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

I started it about a year ago after I was diagnosed with Crohn's. It helps a ton too, and keeps me off of the biologic medication for IBD. I stick to a 16/8 fast during the week and on the weekends I usually break from it.

I'm also mostly on the carnivore diet as anything with fiber and most vegetables now puts me on the floor in pain. That's also helped a lot.
      11-14-2019, 09:20 AM   #22
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

I do somewhat of intermittent fasting. I tend to stick with the 16/8 method, but due to my schedule and when I go to the gym, the only calories consumed in the evening come in the form of a protein shake post-work workout with about 5mg of creatine added. I loosely stick to this eating plan. Some weeks, I'm on it daily and stay within 15-50 calories +/- of my 500 kcal/day deficit. Some weeks, it's impossible to stick to as I work in an office where lunch is catered several times a month and I have a girlfriend that likes to cook for me. I'm not going to be an asshole and not eat what people cook for me, so some days it works; some days it doesn't.

I also pay crazy attention to the number of calories I take in, in a day, as well as my macros. From November 10th of last year, I've lost 71 pounds and somewhere around 13-14% body fat.
Appreciate 1
arkie6397.00