M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

02-19-2019, 02:25 PM   #23
hilld
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 Z4, 18 X1, 22 Rivian R1T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
Correct. I'm on a calorie deficiency. Between 1500-1800/day, don't eat past 5 p.m. and gym 5 days a week. This is how I dropped the weight so quickly.
That is quite impressive. I would have to be chained to something to not want something to eat after 5. Most night my wife doesn't even come home from work until 7:30p. She is not happy with me if we don't eat dinner together.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 02:42 PM   #24
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Correct. I'm on a calorie deficiency. Between 1500-1800/day, don't eat past 5 p.m. and gym 5 days a week. This is how I dropped the weight so quickly.
Gym days consist of weight resistance and cardio after. Weights for about an hour focusing on only a few groups each session doing drop sets and then cardio for about 65 -80 minutes usually around 4-4.5 miles and burn between 850-975 calories per session depending on how I feel.

Now that I'm actually close to what the national standards for ideal weight are for my height (155 @ 5' 9") I'm still jiggly in the ab area and would like more muscle definition. I wanted to drop the weight first as I see all these guys at the gym that are big, but have a lot of body fat. Sure they may be strong or can lift big weight, but they just look fat regardless. I wanted to be lean so I went with dropping the fat and then trying to build the muscle. I do realize that I went the hard way but I'm not afraid to put in the extra work to get exactly what I want.

I do feel like I need to be eating more at this point but the thought of gaining the weight back that I've spent the past 3 months working my ass off to drop is kind of depressing. I'm thinking eat more, lift more weight, do less cardio. Does this sound about right?
Damn thats a long workout! Not a bad thing haha. Completely understandable dropping the weight first, It is how most prefer to do it. I wouldn't change every variable especially if you're concerned with gaining the weight back. If you're comfortable with doing that much cardio every day it's fine I just wouldn't over do it. I think it's best to slowly change things that way you are aware of what is causing which result.

I would start by increasing your caloric intake a little bit, maybe 200-300 calories(since you're attempting to gain muscle I'd shoot for around 1g protein per lb body weight). You could change up your weight routine a little, instead of drop sets shoot for 1-2 warmup sets followed by 2 working sets for each exercise, but all things considered diet and sleep are going to be your key contributors. If you aren't noticing much of a change after a week or so(positive or negative change) you could up the calories again.

If I am on a deficit I don't progress much in the gym. I would say I am close to 3000 calories every day. Personally I want to be as close to that line as possible without going over. If you're in too much of a deficit you won't progress much in terms of gaining muscle, if you go into the red you'll gain unnecessary weight.

Just how I go about it though, fitness/health advice is the most difficult to give lol everyone's different.

Also I'd recommend eating later in they day that way you're not going catabolic and eating away at your muscles! Casein protein is a consumer favorite, I prefer 3 eggs w/ ham cheese an hot sauce haha.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13147.00
      02-19-2019, 02:45 PM   #25
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilld View Post
That is quite impressive. I would have to be chained to something to not want something to eat after 5. Most night my wife doesn't even come home from work until 7:30p. She is not happy with me if we don't eat dinner together.
Appreciate it. The will power is there because I was just tired of being fat. The problem was breaking bad habits. I went from drinking sodas and snacking in the bed at night with the girlfriend while watching movies to watching her snack and being totally cool with it. A mental change came with all this. I have a tendency now to see commercials for restaurants or food now and think to myself "these advertising geniuses are preying on the weak and obese." Speaking of the girlfriend, she eats whatever she wants and looks freaking amazing, disturbs me.

I've come to realize that damn near anything processed, comes in a can or in a box is basically bad for me. Don't get me wrong I still eat junk on occasion but usually only about twice a month and small portions. French fries has been my biggest obstacle to overcome. Going hard on cardio in the beginning is what brain washed me. The first time I stepped on an elliptical and saw how long it took to burn off the calories from just one can of soda is what broke me. I then equated caloric value with the amount of effort it took to burn it off. I changed my eating habits quickly after that.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 02:49 PM   #26
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Damn thats a long workout! Not a bad thing haha. Completely understandable dropping the weight first, It is how most prefer to do it. I wouldn't change every variable especially if you're concerned with gaining the weight back. If you're comfortable with doing that much cardio every day it's fine I just wouldn't over do it. I think it's best to slowly change things that way you are aware of what is causing which result.

I would start by increasing your caloric intake a little bit, maybe 200-300 calories(since you're attempting to gain muscle I'd shoot for around 1g protein per lb body weight). You could change up your weight routine a little, instead of drop sets shoot for 1-2 warmup sets followed by 2 working sets for each exercise, but all things considered diet and sleep are going to be your key contributors. If you aren't noticing much of a change after a week or so(positive or negative change) you could up the calories again.

If I am on a deficit I don't progress much in the gym. I would say I am close to 3000 calories every day. Personally I want to be as close to that line as possible without going over. If you're in too much of a deficit you won't progress much in terms of gaining muscle, if you go into the red you'll gain unnecessary weight.

Just how I go about it though, fitness/health advice is the most difficult to give lol everyone's different.

Also I'd recommend eating later in they day that way you're not going catabolic and eating away at your muscles! Casein protein is a consumer favorite, I prefer 3 eggs w/ ham cheese an hot sauce haha.
Appreciate the advice, this pretty much sums what what I've been thinking and reading.
Appreciate 1
JP102461.00
      02-19-2019, 03:51 PM   #27
s14_kev
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, E30 M3

Anyone have positive/negative experience with working Jefferson Curls into a powerlifting regimen?

I have recently started doing them as a warmup before heavy deadlifts or squats. It seems to be helping with flexibility and lower back pain, which was getting pretty bad at one point. Are there any drawbacks to doing them? I'm being very careful with form and weight.
      02-19-2019, 05:29 PM   #28
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Gym days consist of weight resistance and cardio after. Weights for about an hour focusing on only a few groups each session doing drop sets and then cardio for about 65 -80 minutes usually around 4-4.5 miles and burn between 850-975 calories per session depending on how I feel.

Now that I'm actually close to what the national standards for ideal weight are for my height (155 @ 5' 9") I'm still jiggly in the ab area and would like more muscle definition. I wanted to drop the weight first as I see all these guys at the gym that are big, but have a lot of body fat. Sure they may be strong or can lift big weight, but they just look fat regardless. I wanted to be lean so I went with dropping the fat and then trying to build the muscle. I do realize that I went the hard way but I'm not afraid to put in the extra work to get exactly what I want.

I do feel like I need to be eating more at this point but the thought of gaining the weight back that I've spent the past 3 months working my ass off to drop is kind of depressing. I'm thinking eat more, lift more weight, do less cardio. Does this sound about right?

Damn! that's a pretty low calorie deficit. I almost feel like your actually doing more harm than good because of the very low calorie deficit. like someone mentioned here I would up that calorie intake from 300-400 calories at least. your body needs that to get through the day than going to the gym 5 days a week including cardio which consist of 4-4.5 miles. are you taking any supplements? how do your workouts feel cause if I don't eat my workouts suck balls! 5'9 155lbs? from a physical point of view are you tone, muscular? I'm 5'5 165lbs semi built and I still feel like I need maybe 20lbs of more muscle and than I think i'm koscher!

Mid 40's yo!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 2
JP102461.00
King Rudi13147.00
      02-19-2019, 07:30 PM   #29
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

I've been working out at home on my rowing machine and Wahoo KickR trainer over the winter. My weight has hit a plateau at 210lbs. I was well on my way to hitting my goal of 185lbs when winter set in and forced me indoors. But now that spring is coming and I'll be able to ride outside again, I expect the weight loss will pick up again. At least I'm maintaining and not gaining. And some of that (hopefully) is muscle developing due to the rowing.

This afternoon I rowed hard for 30 minutes and then rode hard for another 30 minutes. 4.5 miles on the rower and a bit over 10 on the bike. When I ride outside, I usually do 22-25 miles and burn close to 1000 calories. Indoors I average around 650-700 for an hour of working out. I also find it easier to eat lighter in the warm weather and I certainly drink a lot more water.

I guess it all comes down to discipline, but exercising outdoors just seems easier and more efficient to me.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13147.00
      02-19-2019, 07:33 PM   #30
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Headed to gym later than normal today, almost to the gym my girlfriend texts me says "you forgot your earphones" damnit I was pissed, unwilling to go to the gym without them I turned around and then had to fight some traffic going home to get them(nothing crazy just turned a 5min drive in a 10, but just insult to injury). Just not my day. I couldn't bear to be in the gym without my earphones, especially around 5pm, too many conversations and too many people.
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13147.00
      02-19-2019, 08:22 PM   #31
harris69
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1997 M3/4, 1984 533i,1997 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPatsFan View Post
I am shocked at the amount of you guys that use gloves?!?!?. I seriously didn’t think ppl used them anymore.

I have been seriously lifting/training 30 years and never used them. I have always used chalk or liquid chalk(no mess) or a spray that prevents my hands from sweating. I have no crazy calluses or beat up hands.

I get much better contact/grip and a more pure/real connection of whatever it is I am holding. Equaling better lifts.

*My wedding ring is silicone and is no issue while training
This guy....I am 41 (well almost) and I train balls to walls without gloves or straps. Use chalk, and hook grip only..But my recovery is shit but that's for another day. I am not against using straps but only on the last set and when I absolutely need to. Same applies for belt...
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2019, 09:01 PM   #32
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Headed to gym later than normal today, almost to the gym my girlfriend texts me says "you forgot your earphones" damnit I was pissed, unwilling to go to the gym without them I turned around and then had to fight some traffic going home to get them(nothing crazy just turned a 5min drive in a 10, but just insult to injury). Just not my day. I couldn't bear to be in the gym without my earphones, especially around 5pm, too many conversations and too many people.
Done this many times! Get distracted sometimes trying to get the family ready to go and I'm heading out the door realizing I forgot my Dre Beats only having to turn around back to the house to get them. Like you too many people talking and the lousy gym music!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harris69 View Post
This guy....I am 41 (well almost) and I train balls to walls without gloves or straps. Use chalk, and hook grip only..But my recovery is shit but that's for another day. I am not against using straps but only on the last set and when I absolutely need to. Same applies for belt...
Our gym doesn't allow chalk because people don't know how to clean up their shit. Really annoying when that shit gets all over the floor, bar, plates and the equipment which than gets on me
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 10:27 PM   #33
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by harris69 View Post
Right on brother!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 10:29 PM   #34
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Done this many times! Get distracted sometimes trying to get the family ready to go and I'm heading out the door realizing I forgot my Dre Beats only having to turn around back to the house to get them. Like you too many people talking and the lousy gym music!

Our gym doesn't allow chalk because people don't know how to clean up their shit. Really annoying when that shit gets all over the floor, bar, plates and the equipment which than gets on me
1. Then it’s not a real gym, it’s a Fitness center
2. It’s just chalk, it wipes right off

Last edited by FlaPatsFan; 02-19-2019 at 10:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 10:54 PM   #35
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

Quote:
I am shocked at the amount of you guys that use gloves?!?!?. I seriously didn’t think ppl used them anymore.

I have been seriously lifting/training 30 years and never used them. I have always used chalk or liquid chalk(no mess) or a spray that prevents my hands from sweating. I have no crazy calluses or beat up hands.

I get much better contact/grip and a more pure/real connection of whatever it is I am holding. Equaling better lifts.

*My wedding ring is silicone and is no issue while training
I see quite a few people wearing gloves around the gyms I’ve been too. I used to wear them too. I agree with you on the grip; there seems to be better grip and control of whatever you’re lifitng or holding onto without gloves unless you have an issue with sweating which is my problem. My hands sweat profusely, but I’ve ditched the gloves a while ago despite still having this issue. It was a struggle not wearing them at first, but it has forced my grip to get much stronger and my forearms got much larger as result.

Only time I wear any type of grip assist gear is on back day of my forearms give out before my back does.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 10:58 PM   #36
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

Haven’t been to the gym in 4 months though... Feels shitty. Still having piriformis issues (or something around that region that likes to stay sore) along with an issue around my right shoulder area that causes popping/crunching when I swing my arm up. Feel like a broken machine.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 07:11 AM   #37
harris69
Lieutenant
Rep

Gold's Gym has signs all over about stuff such as chalk, and gym etiquette. I use regular chalk but I only apply chalk in my gym bag so there is minimal mess. Most idiots at my gym don't rack weights and that's my biggest pet peeve. Besides that I don't sanitize equipment. (I don't have time to sanitize every piece of equipment that I get on)
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 07:12 AM   #38
harris69
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
1. Then it’s not a real gym, it’s a Fitness center
2. It’s just chalk, it wipes right off
Couldn't agree with you more.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 07:20 AM   #39
harris69
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Appreciate the advice, this pretty much sums what what I've been thinking and reading.
Rule of thumb with bulking is to add 300-400 calories (for clean bulk) but have the carbs up and protein around .76-.80g per lean lb of body weight, and slightly higher protein (1g) if you are cutting. Most people consume way too much protein which is fine but it is really not serving any purpose.
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13147.00
      02-20-2019, 07:28 AM   #40
harris69
Lieutenant
Rep

And since we are on the subject of GYM TALK if you are new to whole working out thing, please stay the hell away from machines. I see way too many new guys on the machines and bad habits they develop on the machines stay with them forever.

For new comers I strongly suggest/recommend compound movements only. I see too many people trying to do 90 lbs on the preacher curl machine with backs twisted in all different directions and no idea of form.
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13147.00
      02-20-2019, 07:51 AM   #41
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Damn! that's a pretty low calorie deficit. I almost feel like your actually doing more harm than good because of the very low calorie deficit. like someone mentioned here I would up that calorie intake from 300-400 calories at least. your body needs that to get through the day than going to the gym 5 days a week including cardio which consist of 4-4.5 miles. are you taking any supplements? how do your workouts feel cause if I don't eat my workouts suck balls! 5'9 155lbs? from a physical point of view are you tone, muscular? I'm 5'5 165lbs semi built and I still feel like I need maybe 20lbs of more muscle and than I think i'm koscher!

Mid 40's yo!
The reason for such a low calorie deficiency is due to my job. I work 10 hour days and most of it is sitting behind a computer. I do get the opportunity to be a little more active during the day in warmer months when the projects I plan during the winter start. I based my caloric intake off 2200 calories/day to stay the same size and factored my actual daily physical activities during the 10 hour work day. If I were in a more physically demanding position I would definitely up my caloric intake.

I wouldn't consider what I take as supplements but I have replaced my morning coffee with some pre-workout as it's less calories WAY more caffeine. I eat around 250-300 calories for breakfast, usually eggs with green peppers and spinach or steel cut oats and protein shake along with the pre. For lunch it's usually some form of grilled chicken, veggies and some form of a good carb. Right before the gym I'll eat a protein around 200 calories around 5:00, then some pre then the gym.

As for my workouts, due to the pre, when I get to the gym I'm ready to run in circles and set the floor on fire! I go hard and fast on weights and then make the elliptical my bitch.

I've only been going to the gym for almost 4 months now, but I can definitely see a change in my physique. I looked like a pear when I started and have the V shape now, broader shoulders, larger biceps, tri's, lats, etc. so I would say tone but not ripped.....yet.

I did get on the scale this morning after going hard at the gym last night. I'm down to 158 and dropped 1.5% body fat. I'm going to keep going at the pace that I am until I'm where I want to be.
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2019, 08:09 AM   #42
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Strange I've never taken my phone or headphones to gym or used gloves before.
Appreciate 2
overcoil3066.50
      02-20-2019, 08:14 AM   #43
Teufel_Hunden
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 6MT LMB ZCP

Here are the gloves I use. Now that I use them, I'll never go without. I also wear a mouthguard because I have a bad habit of biting down. I actually like to wear it now.

I just turned 48, so I don't go heavy very often. I mostly stick with good form and doing circuits. For instance yesterday, I did 5 sets of deadlifts at 225lb x 10; Pull ups x 10; Walking lunges 100lb x 12 (50lb dumbbell in each hand); and Chin ups x 10. I complete this in a circuit.

I really mix things up a lot, some weeks I may do a traditional ppl or muscle group workout and other weeks it's more crossfit focused with thrusters, clean and press, etc.

Now that I'm older, I'm trying to incorporate more functional movements (walking lunges have definitely made my knees feel much better. I've also had knee issues from my time in the infantry, fast roping, etc.)

Steel Sweat Weightlifting Gloves with 18-inch Wrist Wrap Support for Workout, Gym and Fitness Training - Best for Men and Women Who Love Weight Lifting - Leather ZED Camo Large https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07193MVZG..._E3vBCbDMS8G3H
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-20-2019, 09:04 AM   #44
harris69
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Strange I've never taken my phone or headphones to gym or used gloves before.
Yeah! I never really understood the headphone craze...
Appreciate 0