M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

02-20-2019, 10:03 AM   #45
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by harris69 View Post
Yeah! I never really understood the headphone craze...
Me either. I wear small wireless ear buds. But those huge home theater headphones in the gym seem so impractical to me.

As for the chalk talk....keep chalking up fellas! If you’re not chalkn you’re not lifting!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 10:29 AM   #46
harris69
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1997 M3/4, 1984 533i,1997 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPatsFan View Post
Me either. I wear small wireless ear buds. But those huge home theater headphones in the gym seem so impractical to me.

As for the chalk talk....keep chalking up fellas! If you’re not chalkn you’re not lifting!
Yep
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 11:10 AM   #47
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
The reason for such a low calorie deficiency is due to my job. I work 10 hour days and most of it is sitting behind a computer. I do get the opportunity to be a little more active during the day in warmer months when the projects I plan during the winter start. I based my caloric intake off 2200 calories/day to stay the same size and factored my actual daily physical activities during the 10 hour work day. If I were in a more physically demanding position I would definitely up my caloric intake.

I wouldn't consider what I take as supplements but I have replaced my morning coffee with some pre-workout as it's less calories WAY more caffeine. I eat around 250-300 calories for breakfast, usually eggs with green peppers and spinach or steel cut oats and protein shake along with the pre. For lunch it's usually some form of grilled chicken, veggies and some form of a good carb. Right before the gym I'll eat a protein around 200 calories around 5:00, then some pre then the gym.

As for my workouts, due to the pre, when I get to the gym I'm ready to run in circles and set the floor on fire! I go hard and fast on weights and then make the elliptical my bitch.

I've only been going to the gym for almost 4 months now, but I can definitely see a change in my physique. I looked like a pear when I started and have the V shape now, broader shoulders, larger biceps, tri's, lats, etc. so I would say tone but not ripped.....yet.

I did get on the scale this morning after going hard at the gym last night. I'm down to 158 and dropped 1.5% body fat. I'm going to keep going at the pace that I am until I'm where I want to be.
same here. i work pipeline operations so i sit behind a computer for 12 hours and every now and than go out in the yard and swing some valves. so i eat clean through out the day and enough carbs for my gym workouts!

keep it up! if you feel fine and it's working keep doing it
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13147.00
      02-20-2019, 12:02 PM   #48
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Yeah! I never really understood the headphone craze...

If I could unappreciate a post I would to you and 1moremod lol. I need the headphones.

I would assume OP would be a headphone guy as his tolerance for annoyance seems lower then most so I am a little surprised lol.

Side note didn't want to drive through the blizzard this afternoon so took the girlfriend's car, but I had to rush because she needed the car relatively soon. Only left me an hour at the gym and I was sore so I skipped the lifting. Havent done much cardio lately, and havent ran in a week so I got a 5mile run in and half a mile on incline treadmill. Stamina felt pretty solid, each mile pace was ~7:30.

*Edit* I wear earbuds, I was assuming headphones was being used vaguely as you don't listen to any music
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2019, 01:10 PM   #49
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
If I could unappreciate a post I would to you and 1moremod lol. I need the headphones.

I would assume OP would be a headphone guy as his tolerance for annoyance seems lower then most so I am a little surprised lol.

Side note didn't want to drive through the blizzard this afternoon so took the girlfriend's car, but I had to rush because she needed the car relatively soon. Only left me an hour at the gym and I was sore so I skipped the lifting. Havent done much cardio lately, and havent ran in a week so I got a 5mile run in and half a mile on incline treadmill. Stamina felt pretty solid, each mile pace was ~7:30.

*Edit* I wear earbuds, I was assuming headphones was being used vaguely as you don't listen to any music
actually before I started wearing my DreBeats Studios I wore the Beats that wrap around your ear and than goes into your ear. even with all the different tips you can use they would always keep popping out of my ear and throughout my workout I found myself always pushing them in after every set. so I decided to give the head phones a shot and to my surprise I liked them a lot. the headphones really eliminated 90-95% of the noise from people talking and all the clanking of weights and equipment. when i'm working out i'm really zoned into my workout and try...and I mean try not to have any conversations with anyone at the gym. I need my music to motivate me and just get my mind set on one thing...to go to war with these weights!

I will say the only thing that throws my workouts off are all these hot chicks walking around in super tight yoga pants and all this Gym Shark Attire! I love me some eye candy but damn! also, since i'm on the topic of chicks is it me or do some of the hot chicks don't look so great in regular clothes? this one chick looks hot in her yoga pants and sports bras. but when she comes out of the locker and into her street clothes she looks like a normal chick

I think so far this thread sparks a lot of people's likes and dislikes and that's another reason I created this thread. good to know both sides. hopefully you guys this thread stays with respect for one another without getting out of hand because some people like things while other people don't. anyways keep the thread alive DAILY! I've been eating pretty good today so i'm looking forward to a good lower arm workout (legs!) Seth Feroce
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 01:38 PM   #50
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
actually before I started wearing my DreBeats Studios I wore the Beats that wrap around your ear and than goes into your ear. even with all the different tips you can use they would always keep popping out of my ear and throughout my workout I found myself always pushing them in after every set. so I decided to give the head phones a shot and to my surprise I liked them a lot. the headphones really eliminated 90-95% of the noise from people talking and all the clanking of weights and equipment. when i'm working out i'm really zoned into my workout and try...and I mean try not to have any conversations with anyone at the gym. I need my music to motivate me and just get my mind set on one thing...to go to war with these weights!
I hear ya, if your earbuds pop in and out it is a major distraction. I use to use JBL endurance sprint, which is similar to the beats wrap around earbuds you mentioned, but they always came lose. Been using Jaybird Tarahs the last few weeks and they don't move at all in my ear, I'm a big fan. The sound could be a little better, but regardless its pretty damn good. I mean I did hella cardio today and I don't think I had to adjust them even once and I was sweating my ass off to boot. The reason I don't do the headphones is due to sweating too much lol. I have a pair of Bose QC15s for the office.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 03:07 PM   #51
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:

Look into David goggins thoughts on this. Basically it's a crutch and what music is on or none or distractions should have no effect on your performance unless you are weak minded and need someone else to get you motivated.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 03:57 PM   #52
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Look into David goggins thoughts on this. Basically it's a crutch and what music is on or none or distractions should have no effect on your performance unless you are weak minded and need someone else to get you motivated.
I wouldn't say that I listen to music for motivation, but rather seclusion. I guess I understand the grounds behind that thought, I don't know if I agree or disagree. I'd have to give it some thought, but I think that would definitely be person dependent. I'm not one to have to have the best pump up song to get some reps in, regardless I know I'm going all out.

If I didnt have earbuds listening to pointless conversations would annoy the shit out of me, has it ever effected my workout? Yeah probably has, but not for lack of motivation but rather frustration of my surrounding. I would say my motivation in there is undaunting, if I am there I am motivated lol, the music is just to mellow me out a little.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13147.00
      02-20-2019, 05:24 PM   #53
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

That's cool not calling you out just something to think about really. Gloves on the other hand seem wimpy af to me.
Appreciate 1
JP102461.00
      02-20-2019, 08:18 PM   #54
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I wouldn't say that I listen to music for motivation, but rather seclusion. I guess I understand the grounds behind that thought, I don't know if I agree or disagree. I'd have to give it some thought, but I think that would definitely be person dependent. I'm not one to have to have the best pump up song to get some reps in, regardless I know I'm going all out.

If I didnt have earbuds listening to pointless conversations would annoy the shit out of me, has it ever effected my workout? Yeah probably has, but not for lack of motivation but rather frustration of my surrounding. I would say my motivation in there is undaunting, if I am there I am motivated lol, the music is just to mellow me out a little.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
That's cool not calling you out just something to think about really. Gloves on the other hand seem wimpy af to me.
I think when I go to the gym tomorrow I'm going to try and workout with no headphones and no gloves. Actually I'll wear the gloves cause I know my workout will just suck so I'll do without the headphones and see how my workout goes. Taking in the awful gym music and all the yip yapping from everyone and I bet I'll be shocked to hear all the guys grunting and breathing like a damn machine to see how annoying it will be to me.

Edit: forgot to add when I was at the gym tonight a couple of guys walking around thinking they had huge lats as they walked around with their arms about shoulder height
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 08:20 PM   #55
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Oh snap you gonna break yourself!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 07:00 AM   #56
harris69
Lieutenant
Rep

Call me old-school but I don't waste my money on expensive gym clothing, or headphones. I have 3-4 pair of PUMA sneakers that I have had for a while, my squatting Nike's, and that's it. In my gym bag I keep chalk, straps, grips that you put on dumbells (can't think of the name now), and Rogue squat belt. I have a set of cheap earbuds that I keep in the bag but don't remember the last time i used them.

But to each their own I guess.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 07:28 AM   #57
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

I've just bought my first protein powder:

Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey Protein Powder with Glutamine and
Amino Acids Protein Shake by ON - Chocolate Peanut Butter, 27 Servings, 891 g

Can anyone suggest how often i should be taking it?
Can it be used as a meal replacement?

Thank you kindly.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 07:44 AM   #58
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The0pportunist View Post

Thank you kindly.
I use to take that protein but switched to BSN Syntha 6 Milk Chocolate.

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 02-21-2019 at 08:08 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2019, 07:46 AM   #59
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Thank you kindly.
Most tend to use it after their workout, but you can use the powder anyway you would like. In my eyes its just a cheap(depending on how you buy it) way to get a lot of protein. In the past I blended it with my coffee and used it as my first meal of the day. Often I'll mix powder and peanut butter into oatmeal for a solid meal/snack. Can't go wrong blending up powder, Peanut butter, and a banana.

Regarding how often, that is completely up to you and should be determined based on how much protein you're trying to take in. Like I mentioned early in this thread I try to get 1g of protein per lb(.45kg) of body mass, so 200g a day for myself. So If I know that I haven't met that quota then I'll maybe have another protein shake before bed.

I usually use MyProtein Impact Whey because it is crazy cheap(I believe a UK based company). I dont believe in all of the hyped up protein brands/blends. I think I got 100 servings for less then $30 last month.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2019, 07:46 AM   #60
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

hands down, best and longest lasting, most comfortable glove i've ever used.
https://www.sears.com/weider-profess...1&blockType=G1
      02-21-2019, 08:10 AM   #61
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

I have a full gym in my basement, so I don't have to worry about any of the typical gym idiosyncrasies. I installed a nice four speaker sound system, so no ear buds needed and I can play the music I want (unless my six year old daughter is "working out" too).

Yes, I wear gloves and have for years. Again, as many have said, it's not good to have hard, crusty hands when you go to the office or a client. Plus, the wife and daughter don't appreciate being touched by sandpaper.
I train for Spartan Races (I do six per season) so I'm doing a ton of cross-training that includes weight lifting/strength training, agility exercises, yoga, trail running and core work. I usually finish in the top 10% of finishers overall.
I'm 6'1" and weigh 177lbs. I've been this size essentially from high school on and I'm going to be 50 in October. I also play ice hockey, mountain bike, swim and "wrestle" with my six year old daughter LOL! I call it beating daddy up. Most people think I'm in the early to mid thirties.

I've read earlier comments about working out with a bad back. I do not have a bad back and want to keep it that way, so I've read quite a bit about training and the back.
Most moves put undue stress on your lower back. Over time, this causes issues as the discs and surrounding muscles become damaged. It's so important to isolate your back from these movements and train your core and lower back properly without causing undue stress.
I've been watching some of these guys videos to learn how to safely workout. I know it sounds funny and like an "old man", but as I said, I want to keep my back safe and workout to make gains and not lose something in the process.
https://www.youtube.com/user/physica...pyvideo/videos
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2019, 12:10 PM   #62
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:

Thank you kindly.

Shakes are good, but can be a crutch if you depend on them too much. I workout fasted at about 3:30-4:00am in the morning.

I have about 10 grams of EAA's as an "Intra" that I sip on with water to stay hydrated during my workout...and then I use either Muscle Feast or True Nutrition's form of Hydrolyzed protein within about 15 minutes of training.

After that I am typically eating real food the rest of the day.

As for requirements, everyone is different. When I'm in the off-season bulking, I'm taking in about 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight. But my carbs are much higher as it is well documented that carbs can be protein sparing.

When it's time to "cut", the carbs start to slowly come out of my diet and my protein increases to 1.5 grams...sometimes more per lb of body weight.

Also if you plan to use that as a meal replacement, Like JP said... mix some other stuff in with it...especially "Good Fats". It will slow down the glycemic response and give you more of a "Casein Protein" effect in which it releases Amino Acids more slower into your system.

You want protein synthesis to be occurring as often as possible, and any isolate or concentrate is going to be relatively quickly entering the body which starts this process...but will taper off very quickly as well while leaving your insulin levels elevated which is really only something that you want to happen post-workout when you are using it to your advantage to push nutrients into the muscles.

But again...I'm an older guy that has been doing this for many years...a few years as a professional at it. So I may be going a little OCD about things.
      02-21-2019, 12:28 PM   #63
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Call me old-school but I don't waste my money on expensive gym clothing, or headphones. I have 3-4 pair of PUMA sneakers that I have had for a while, my squatting Nike's, and that's it. In my gym bag I keep chalk, straps, grips that you put on dumbells (can't think of the name now), and Rogue squat belt. I have a set of cheap earbuds that I keep in the bag but don't remember the last time i used them.

But to each their own I guess.

Possibly Fat Gripz. It's what I have in my bag. Other than that...straps for when my deadlifting session gets into the higher weight ranges, and a belt for squats when I get above a certain weight.

I remember a time of never using a belt, even when going above 315 for squats. One advantage to building your core that way was that when summertime rolled around, I always had abs without having to do any specific abdominal workouts!
      02-21-2019, 02:46 PM   #64
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

I've never used straps for deads. I also rarely do higher reps with that move
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 04:17 PM   #65
harris69
Lieutenant
Rep

I use hook grip combined with chalk. So never really have a need for straps. But hook grip is tough, and took me a long time to practice, and fully implement. Used to use alternate grip but developed tendinitis in my left elbow and had to change things up. I used to be able to do squats without belt close to 300 lbs but it's been a couple of years since I have messed around with 300+ lb weight

Yep, fat gripz. Only used them a couple of times and now they just sit in d gym bag. Another thing I forgot to mention earlier is compression sleeves. I wear them whenever I squat.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 04:52 PM   #66
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I use hook grip combined with chalk. So never really have a need for straps. But hook grip is tough, and took me a long time to practice, and fully implement. Used to use alternate grip but developed tendinitis in my left elbow and had to change things up. I used to be able to do squats without belt close to 300 lbs but it's been a couple of years since I have messed around with 300+ lb weight

Yep, fat gripz. Only used them a couple of times and now they just sit in d gym bag. Another thing I forgot to mention earlier is compression sleeves. I wear them whenever I squat.

I use a hook grip as well.....only break the straps out on weighted pull-ups, or deadlifts and rack pulls when I'm going really heavy and or pushing reps.

I've seen to many ruptured biceps from people doing deadlift with an alternate grip.
Appreciate 0