M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

02-21-2019, 04:59 PM   #67
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Hook grip? Over over dead is that what you guys do? Weird.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 12:42 AM   #68
adolfneedham
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: -

I wanted to go to gym all the time but I don't .

I don't know its my routine which is kind of making me lazy to do things I really want to do or it's just that I am not sure as if I want to do this or not.

Couldn't find any motivation seriously , it makes me sad how people are so serious about the gym thing
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 02:38 AM   #69
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
I use a hook grip as well.....only break the straps out on weighted pull-ups, or deadlifts and rack pulls when I'm going really heavy and or pushing reps.

I've seen to many ruptured biceps from people doing deadlift with an alternate grip.
I also use hook grip, and it is rough when first implementing it. Your thumbs take a beating! (Nubs thumb protectors help). I will only bust out straps (DLs and Clean Pulls) when at 85%+ of my 1rm. Double overhand! No alternate grip!!!! Same goes for the belt with squats. Multiple pairs of wrist/strength wraps. I’m knee sleeve junkie and have various pairs for different things. I also use “Lifters” Nike Romaleos (the best) when squatting or doing cleans. I truly believe in having the right gear for the job, especially being older. Other then a arthritic left shoulder (thanks CrossFit) my body is in very good shape.

*Most importantly...a mouth piece when squatting or Deadlifting heavy

Last edited by FlaPatsFan; 02-22-2019 at 03:06 AM..
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      02-22-2019, 05:53 AM   #70
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Yeah....takes a while to get to used to it, but your hands/palms strengthen very quickly and before you know it, it's second nature.

The problem with an alternating grip is that most people don't learn properly from the start. They continue that bad form as they progress into heavier weights.

I have witnessed many ruptured bicep tendons because of the uneven torsion from an alternate grip deadlift.

Not saying that this applies to you as you know what you are doing. But the newer generation of lifters we see coming into our gym think they know it all, and don't want to listen to you.

There are so many subtleties to setting up most of the big lifts, that it takes awhile to perfect. If they would drop their egos and learn the right way, they minimize their chance of injury down the road greatly.
      02-22-2019, 05:54 AM   #71
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPatsFan View Post
I also use hook grip, and it is rough when first implementing it. Your thumbs take a beating! (Nubs thumb protectors help). I will only bust out straps (DLs and Clean Pulls) when at 85%+ of my 1rm. Double overhand! No alternate grip!!!! Same goes for the belt with squats. Multiple pairs of wrist/strength wraps. I’m knee sleeve junkie and have various pairs for different things. I also use “Lifters” Nike Romaleos (the best) when squatting or doing cleans. I truly believe in having the right gear for the job, especially being older. Other then a arthritic left shoulder (thanks CrossFit) my body is in very good shape.

*Most importantly...a mouth piece when squatting or Deadlifting heavy

You know I never used to use a mouth piece until I seen my training partner crack a tooth during a workout.

I have veneers, so I wear one religiously now!
      02-22-2019, 07:54 AM   #72
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adolfneedham View Post

I don't know its my routine which is kind of making me lazy to do things I really want to do or it's just that I am not sure as if I want to do this or not.

Couldn't find any motivation seriously , it makes me sad how people are so serious about the gym thing
Well anyone can be motivated to do things they want. It's what you do when you dont want to that shows character. Or try this do it often enough so that you enjoy it so much it doesnt require the same motivation, you want to do it then.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 08:14 AM   #73
harris69
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1997 M3/4, 1984 533i,1997 328i

Quote:
I use a hook grip as well.....only break the straps out on weighted pull-ups, or deadlifts and rack pulls when I'm going really heavy and or pushing reps.

I've seen to many ruptured biceps from people doing deadlift with an alternate grip.
That's what I kept hearing but really didn't have that issue besides for annoying tennis elbow. Also now my left shoulder pops from years of using left underhand. Anytime I do widegrip pullups my left shoulder makes this awful sound. So I stick with bodyweight wide-grip pullups.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 08:21 AM   #74
harris69
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hook grip is when your thumb wraps around the bar, and then fingers. Watch Omar Isuf's video on it. I can't do conventional grip for 300+ lb deadlifts so use hook, and in extreme cases straps.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 08:37 AM   #75
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

I use alternate over under grip of a lefty with my right under even though I'm right handed.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 09:41 AM   #76
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by adolfneedham View Post

It's about setting goals. In the long terms going to the gym is going to promote good health, fitness and overall a positive attitude. The gym isn't only for guys who wanna build muscle and get huge as F but it's also for people who wanna keep in shape and live a healthy life style. The hardest step is going to the gym for the first week. The 2nd hardest thing is motivating yourself not to quit. There's a reason why we mention and talk about the New Year Resolutioners who make it about a month or two than quit. Just keep going at it and you'll be alright next thing you know a years gone by
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 10:11 AM   #77
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Hey now!! Round IS a shape!!!
      02-22-2019, 10:49 AM   #78
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I haven't deadlifted in a good while, but when I did it was alternate grip, never was about using a belt. I was only pulling around 465 though. Unfortuantely I avoid going crazy heavy anymore, fucked up my right leg a while back(not gym related). Still have some pretty sharp hip pain when I'm deep in a squat. I should probably get it checked out haha.

Agree with everyone elses comments regarding motivation to get to the gym, before you know it it becomes second nature. Personally it's probably one of my favorite things to do, very relaxing and satisfying!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 11:55 AM   #79
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
I haven't deadlifted in a good while, but when I did it was alternate grip, never was about using a belt. I was only pulling around 465 though. Unfortuantely I avoid going crazy heavy anymore, fucked up my right leg a while back(not gym related). Still have some pretty sharp hip pain when I'm deep in a squat. I should probably get it checked out haha.

Agree with everyone elses comments regarding motivation to get to the gym, before you know it it becomes second nature. Personally it's probably one of my favorite things to do, very relaxing and satisfying!
I agree......it sets the tone for the rest of my day. That's why I go so early in the morning.....I fell put through the ringer after my workout, but about an hour later I get a feeling of euphoria that kicks in, and I'm energetic the rest of the day!

Plus the gym is "my time". It's my chance to unleash all of my frustration from whatever is going on in my life. Best stress killer there is!

Pulling 465 isn't nothing to sneeze at. People put too much emphasis on weight in my opinion anyway. Body types play a huge role.

I'm a short guy (5'7") that happened to be blessed with the right mechanics to move some serious weight. But my range of motion is probably about half of a lot of you guys one here even though I do use a full range.

I've benched 4 plates, and Dead-lifted/Squatted 5 plates + change.

But if I see a guy who is 6'+ doing 3-4 plates respectively, my "hat is off" to him as he has a lot longer range to work through than I do.....and I know he had to bust his ass to get there.
      02-22-2019, 01:17 PM   #80
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Yeah being over 6 ft makes it tougher for those main moves
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 09:19 PM   #81
harris69
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

That's what I hear.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 04:18 AM   #82
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah being over 6 ft makes it tougher for those main moves
Honestly...the only power exercise that I've seen a tall person have a natural affinity for is the deadlift because they typically have long arms.

Now if your tall and have "T-Rex" arms....your SOL!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 07:38 AM   #83
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

T rex arms would help me have 20s though, right?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 09:16 AM   #84
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

T rex arms lol!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 09:34 AM   #85
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Leg day, gonna try some things dont normally do. Box squats, goblet squats then some walking lunges Romanian deads see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 10:55 AM   #86
Teufel_Hunden
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 6MT LMB ZCP

Quote:
Leg day, gonna try some things dont normally do. Box squats, goblet squats then some walking lunges Romanian deads see what happens.
Love walking lunges. My knees feel so much better now that I've been doing them at least once a week. And great cardio as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 10:57 AM   #87
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

It is Sunday my dudes. Get some.
Attached Images

02-24-2019, 11:06 AM   #88
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Curls? Put lot of volume in. Added extensions, calves and prone body lift for hams.

Last edited by 1MOREMOD; 02-24-2019 at 11:39 AM..
Appreciate 0