M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

10-11-2019, 12:11 PM   #45
Devils41
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 Competition Xdrive

Garage List
I started doing Krav Maga about 6 months ago, liking it so far. Have zero background in Martial arts, ex baseball player so not much transfers lol. What would you guys suggest for practice equipment at home?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 12:28 PM   #46
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils41 View Post
I started doing Krav Maga about 6 months ago, liking it so far. Have zero background in Martial arts, ex baseball player so not much transfers lol. What would you guys suggest for practice equipment at home?
Heavy bag if you can hang one, and you can also get the small canvas bags that you fill with sand and other media that "zippers" shut to hang on the wall or on something with some substance behind it.

Those small bags were very instrumental in conditioning your hands and elbows, and also to practice your range with.
      10-11-2019, 09:09 PM   #47
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Those small bags were very instrumental in conditioning your hands and elbows
Conditioning? I use a tree (I have a favourite one on a seashore I go to in summer) and a solid (concrete?) wall (besides the hard floor) at home for hand conditioning. On the seashore I also use wooden sun shade posts on a beach (occasionally, when there are not many people around ) to condition my shins, forearms and finger joints. I also like rocks but it's difficult to find a smooth surface to avoid just damaging, ripping off the skin. I believe bags are actually useful to practice hard blows without damaging oneself due to lack of condition.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 07:23 AM   #48
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Hard core. But in his words...he is just starting out. Don't think he would want to be punching concrete walls and rocks at this point.
      10-12-2019, 08:50 AM   #49
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Hard core. But in his words...he is just starting out. Don't think he would want to be punching concrete walls and rocks at this point.
It's better to start early: it takes plenty of time to advance. Depending on how hard one trains, of course, but there's still an obvious limitation of injury risk (and those body hardening processes speed) anyway. Another limitation might be the looks: if one intends to advertise hand cream of something he'd better skip these exercises. Although I saw knuckle callus "advertisement" on YouTube and boys were exited in comments (it's like a boxer's signature broken nose or a wrestler's signature broken ears , but harder to achieve ).
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 02:47 PM   #50
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
It's better to start early: it takes plenty of time to advance. Depending on how hard one trains, of course, but there's still an obvious limitation of injury risk (and those body hardening processes speed) anyway. Another limitation might be the looks: if one intends to advertise hand cream of something he'd better skip these exercises. Although I saw knuckle callus "advertisement" on YouTube and boys were exited in comments (it's like a boxer's signature broken nose or a wrestler's signature broken ears , but harder to achieve ).

I've got the broken nose although it isn't noticble aside from deviated septum issues. But as you said, it comes with the territory.

I think everyone should learn to defend themselves, but we also live in a different world now.

Unfortunately....I have a bullet still in me from a guy who couldn't let things go and had to get even. That was my wake-up call. What was once a means to an end is now a fascination with history if other cultures.

I used to train with a guy who was raised in Thailand. He told me he had to kick fruit trees for months to show dedication before being even allowed to join a school. I know his shins could prove his claims.

So yes....there are some hardcore people out there. I'm all for it if that's what they want to do.

But I also tell people like that who have came through various schools I have taught and trained at to read about the Boxer Rebellion and take everything with a "grain of salt".
      10-12-2019, 05:25 PM   #51
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
I've got the broken nose although it isn't noticble aside from deviated septum issues.
I have a deviated septum without a broken nose. Damn, I just think I should take care about it, it's so fragile!

Quote:
I think everyone should learn to defend themselves, but we also live in a different world now.
I think everyone should learn to behave reasonably. Winning a fight can cause more trouble than losing it. But it's nice to have a choice.

Some can be perfectly ready for a hospital, cemetery or jail (especially if they don't realize that) but those who see their future differently have to avoid being involved into those stupid games.

Most annoying aggressors possess no physical threat these days. They explore your patience and mental agility rather than determination and fighting ability.

For me, Martial Arts differ from those fighting systems in that they aren't about fighting. They are about not fighting.

Quote:
I used to train with a guy who was raised in Thailand. He told me he had to kick fruit trees for months to show dedication before being even allowed to join a school. I know his shins could prove his claims.
I think it's ridiculous to destroy yourself rather than your enemy with your blows. But a more important point is developing fortitude, ability to overcome a discomfort to achieve your goal. Mind over body.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      10-13-2019, 11:33 AM   #52
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Here's some equipment shown. There are softer, "armless" dummies if you like. (I even heard there were female ones. ) A large mirror can also be useful to watch your form (stance(s), movements).

Quote:
ex baseball player so not much transfers lol
Don't forget your bats. When you can break them with your bare arms/legs you'll know you're doing fine.

Last edited by No one; 10-13-2019 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: Another note/link added.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 04:11 AM   #53
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalpuerh View Post
Anyone who practice kungfu martials ?
I've done Wing Chun, but have practiced Yang Style Tai-Chi...and also dabbled in Baguazhang. But I used to practice the 2 softer styles for health purposes.

They really focused on movement through breath....and that translated to any other arts I practiced. So it was a win-win.
      10-26-2019, 10:12 PM   #54
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Anyone who practice kungfu martials ?
Everyone should. They say "Kung Fu" means "concentrated effort", "dedication" (not necessarily about Martial Arts). They also say "old school" Martial Arts involve extremely hard exercises to train properly. Like standing on one leg for an hour, running a few miles holding on a horse's tail, etc.

There's no style for a weak. A buddy of mine who was interested in Aikido shared he was shocked to discover he could not grab a senior student's wrist with one hand. Skills allow to use one's strength most effectively. But when there's none there's just nothing you can do.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 09:58 AM   #55
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your explaination to "Kungfu martials". But do you know why there are many people trying to learn that every year?
No I don't. I don't even care. But you are still welcome to share it if you know.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 09:13 AM   #56
Nitus
Registered
Rep
Drives: audi

In my childhood I had boxing training in Italy while living in my property in Lake Como here. One year ago I started doing aikido so I hope I'll be good at it. I'm quite a beginner now.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 08:19 AM   #57
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
I got my black belt in Tang So Do, but unfortunately that's where I stopped. Some plates and screws and replaced ligaments later (totally unrelated to martial arts), I don't think it's something I could return to.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      04-10-2020, 09:23 AM   #58
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
I got my black belt in Tang So Do, but unfortunately that's where I stopped. Some plates and screws and replaced ligaments later (totally unrelated to martial arts), I don't think it's something I could return to.
Nice....my first Black Belt was Tang So Do. Chuck Norris's original style!
      04-21-2020, 05:55 PM   #59
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

I always wonder what level people are when they respond to stuff like this.

It's like a casual talk with coworkers and they mention an interest that is similar to yours, however, you come to find out they are passively interested in it while it nearly controls you, haha.

(I was never in martial arts, but always loved watching videos on it. )
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 05:14 AM   #60
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
I always wonder what level people are when they respond to stuff like this.

It's like a casual talk with coworkers and they mention an interest that is similar to yours, however, you come to find out they are passively interested in it while it nearly controls you, haha.

(I was never in martial arts, but always loved watching videos on it. )
I find that the ones doing the most talking around you about this stuff haven't been in it too long. ANd you are right...it's all they talk about. Enthusiastic I guess?

Most of the people I know or work with don't have a clue of what I have trained in..or currently train in.

Most of the questions I get are about diet and lifting weights.
      04-22-2020, 04:36 PM   #61
No one
Major
Rep

“Those who know do not speak. Those who speak do not know.” ― Lao Tzu

There's a lot in it, so, narrowing it to the discussion point , I recall Chuck Norris sharing he had plenty of MA talk with Bruce Lee when they first met and Bruce Lee, reportedly, hardly missed a chance to offer a discussion/inquiry to a MA expert. Enthusiasm might lead into something. I guess bullshitters talk about their own achievements/competence while true enthusiasts wonder about others' (to learn/develop from, not just compare ).
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 10:43 AM   #62
RMNB
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 440xi CPE BSM

I got all my skills from Kung Fu Panda! Every time I try a scissor kick I fall down and it hurts. Nun chuk thingys...black eye and a fat lip. I stopped.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 05:05 PM   #63
JasonDot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4, X3 and 330e

It's impressive to see everyone's years of experience and variety. Holy shit the variety!

My 6 years is boxing and Muay Thai. If anyone near San Diego County wants to, I'd like to hold pads for ya!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 05:51 PM   #64
TKDbilly
Private (and reserved, existential)
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M40i; 2001 Z3

Garage List
2001 Z3  [0.00]
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Great thread

For me:
Dad was Golden Gloves - Chicago; taught us to box on canvas bag without tape at age 5, similar to Rmtt
Earned a 2nd Dan in TaeKwonDo taught to us by GM Yung Chul Ra, I was age 40
Shifted to more 'self-defense' and earned 1st Dan in Combat Hapkido
Hold several NRA certs to teach firearms including concealed

Teach mostly now and enjoy helping folks feel confident with whatever 'tools' they choose.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 03:43 AM   #65
atzepeng1984
Rep
Drives: X1 F39

I do!
Used to do Krav Maga for a while but had to change (moved and no club available). Have been doing Ving Tsun Kung Fu/ Wing Chun Kung Fu for six years now, love it
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 08:41 AM   #66
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

I have a BB in TKD, Orange in Aikido, and took Krav when it was first big in the US. No belts then, but I took it for a few years. Each has its own merits.

I was ready to start taking Kenpo when Coronavirus hit.
Appreciate 0