M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

06-16-2019, 02:50 PM   #1
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 / M5

Weight/Mass gain for athletes?

Just turned 16 year old that is currently 6'3 and 225lbs. He has a shot at DL/DE and needs to gain 30 lbs before 18. No matter how much he eats, he does not gain weight.

Any suggestions on shakes and or companies that put out quality?

He is heading into season so going to burn a lot of calories soon.

Thanks in advance...
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 05:51 PM   #2
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I know you said no matter how much he eats he doesn't gain weight, but the fact of the matter is he isn't eating enough that's why he's not gaining weight. Add a ton of peanut butter to his diet. Throw it in whenever and wherever you can. If he's currently drinking protein shakes add in globs of it. Eat meals in between his meals, peanut butter jelly's are easy to down. Thankfully I never was dline so didn't have to deal with this issue, but had plenty of buddies in this route. They would be eating during each period of high school. During the summer when they had manual labor jobs like on the farm or multching they would be downing sandwiches every two hours. It's a job, you gotta just keep eating, it becomes exhausting after awhile but you gotta keep eating haha.

You can add creatine in an attempt to add some mass, but if hydration is a concern I wouldn't recommend it. Weight gainers will have a lot of calories, but I recommend getting those calories from actual food. Lots of carbs, lots of protein.

He obviously doesn't need to eat this much but just to give you some ideas; https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.bus...lories-2018-10
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      06-16-2019, 06:19 PM   #3
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

I'd second the peanut butter also did a lot of milk with it before bed. Carb him up like a sumo wrestler also
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 12:18 PM   #4
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
I'd second the peanut butter also did a lot of milk with it before bed. Carb him up like a sumo wrestler also
When I was bulking, I would drink a half gallon of milk each day. My meal before sleeping was a peanut butter sandwich with a huge helping of peanut butter washed down with a large glass of whole milk.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 01:12 PM   #5
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

You could start him on beer also?
Appreciate 1
vtown99.00
      06-24-2019, 01:55 PM   #6
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
When I was bulking, I would drink a half gallon of milk each day. My meal before sleeping was a peanut butter sandwich with a huge helping of peanut butter washed down with a large glass of whole milk.

If his digestive system can handle it, the GOMAD plan is a stereotype for a reason.

If he's not gaining weight, he's not taking in enough calories. Period.

Try meal replacement shakes in addition to the actual food he's eating.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      06-24-2019, 02:02 PM   #7
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Try one lb bacon sandwiches as a snack.

Mct oil before bed.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 02:46 PM   #8
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_COLD View Post

If his digestive system can handle it, the GOMAD plan is a stereotype for a reason.

If he's not gaining weight, he's not taking in enough calories. Period.

Try meal replacement shakes in addition to the actual food he's eating.
Exactly.

I can't tell you how many people that I would have log their calories for just two weeks when I used to do personal training on the side that thought they were eating plenty.

When we would average it out, most would never even be batting over 2500-2800 calories a day.

Hell......I'm dieting for the beach right now and still eating around 3300 calories a day!

And if they are looking just to add weight at that age fighting that metabolism....they are going to have to eat "dirty". Eating clean 90% of the time isn't going to cut it.
      06-24-2019, 02:56 PM   #9
RS DAVE
Banned
Rep
Drives: E91 335D M SPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyBuzzard View Post
Just turned 16 year old that is currently 6'3 and 225lbs. He has a shot at DL/DE and needs to gain 30 lbs before 18. No matter how much he eats, he does not gain weight.

Thanks in advance...
Look at and listen to Frank Zane, thank me later!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 03:15 PM   #10
TNTMYM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW e90 M3

Quote:

Thanks in advance...
Pretty ambitious goal. Assuming the goal is 30lb of muscle, in two years, this would be my strategy:

Measure Base Metabolic Rate - This is measured at your local gym using a breath monitoring device to determine how many calories you are burning in idle. The estimate of how many calories you are burning per day includes this the sum of this value plus the value determined by your daily exercise routine.

Nutrition Pre-Bulk Primer
Daily Caloric Intake= (1000 calories above BMR from calc above, recalc every 3 mos)
July 2019 - Sep 2019 50/35/15 Ratio of Proteins/Carbohydrates/Fat(poly/mono unsat)
6 meals per day with majority of carbohydrates around your training)
Protein shakes are not meals but can be used for meal replacement when not available or timing is a challenge (I.E. pre-workout, before bed, in between major meals)
Sleep 8-10 quality hours, no skipping, no makeup naps.
1gal of water throughout the day, Ice your joints
60 min weight training in the early morning
3-4 days/week Push/pull/legs 12-15 reps 4sets 70% max, fast tempo

Bulk
Daily Caloric Intake= (1000 calories above BMR from calc above, recalc every 3 mos)
Oct 2019 - Dec 2020 50/30/20 Ratio of Proteins/Carbohydrates/Fat(poly/mono unsat)
7 meals per day with majority of carbohydrates around your training)
Shakes are not meals but can be used for meal replacement when not available or timing is a challenge (I.E. pre- workout, before bed, in between major meals)
1gal water throughout the day, Ice your joints
60-75 min weight training in the early morning
4days/week 5x5 Training 8-10 reps 4sets 85% max, slow tempo

Maturation
Daily Caloric Intake= (750 calories above BMR from calc above, recalc every 3 mos)
Jan 2020 - March 2020 45/40/15 Ratio of Proteins/Carbohydrates/Fat(poly/mono unsat)
6 meals per day with majority of carbohydrates around your training)
Shakes can be used for meal replacement when not available or timing is a challenge (I.E. pre-workout, before bed, in between major meals)
45-60 min weight training in the early morning
3-4 days/week Push/pull/legs 8 reps 4sets 90% max, slow tempo down, fast tempo up

Strength
Daily Caloric Intake= (500 calories above BMR from calc above, recalc every 3 mos)
April 2020 - May 2020 40/40/20 Ratio of Proteins/Carbohydrates/Fat(poly/mono unsat)
5 meals per day with majority of carbohydrates around your training)
Shakes can be used for meal replacement when not available or timing is a challenge (I.E. pre-workout, before bed, in between major meals)
60-75 min weight training in the early morning, 45 min cardio at night
3days/week Push/pull/legs 10-12 reps 4sets 85% max, get a spotter push a few more

Cut the Fat
Daily Caloric Intake= (calories at BMR from latest calc, recalc every 3 mos)
June -July 2020 50/35/15
5meals
8-10 hrs sleep
1gal water
3days - 45 min weight training early morning 80%
45 min light volleyball/CrossFit/Plyometrics/Football/Swim at night
Have fun, get a tan, take photos, send me PayPal etc.

Repeat year 2 but skip Bulk Primer and go straight into Bulk until the end of December. Re-calculate your MBR, your body fat levels should be lower by end of July.

There are much simplified versions of this annual nutrition cycle, which include major meal doubling and simply adding two extra meals. This is effective for a temporary period (beginner gains) until your body MBR increases and you discover that your gains have stalled.

Last edited by TNTMYM3; 06-24-2019 at 05:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 03:22 PM   #11
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

seems his threshold is higher and he can try mass gainers..
      06-24-2019, 03:32 PM   #12
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

He is d-line, that 30lbs doesn't have to be muscle. Not like hes a d-end or some shit. Just pack on the lbs. Honestly if you're talking D1 he's going to have to be bigger then 255.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      06-24-2019, 04:34 PM   #13
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
He is d-line, that 30lbs doesn't have to be muscle. Not like hes a d-end or some shit. Just pack on the lbs. Honestly if you're talking D1 he's going to have to be bigger then 255.

I'm friends with the Renfrow family. My daughter went to Clemson with Hunter for 3 years and got very close to a lot of them even going on family vacations with them. I have done business with his family's company for longer than I can remember....and currently with our company all the time.

When he walked onto the field as a freshman, you would never guess he would ever play. They added a solid 20 lbs on him throughout the program.

I was talking with his family the other day, and told them now that he's signed....look for the transformation they make with him! He will come out of camp an animal!

Humble kid and it couldn't happen to anyone better.

I know it's tough, but imagine not having to do anything but what someone has laid out for you in regards to diet and training and just following the program.
      06-24-2019, 06:08 PM   #14
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Exactly.

I can't tell you how many people that I would have log their calories for just two weeks when I used to do personal training on the side that thought they were eating plenty.

When we would average it out, most would never even be batting over 2500-2800 calories a day.

Hell......I'm dieting for the beach right now and still eating around 3300 calories a day!

And if they are looking just to add weight at that age fighting that metabolism....they are going to have to eat "dirty". Eating clean 90% of the time isn't going to cut it.
Got me curious now. Think I'm close to 4k a day but since I'm not eating nearly as much crap as before seems hard to get there.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 10:07 AM   #15
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Primary is D-end so 255 with foot speed is fine until college. He is still getting taller so bulk is tough. Drinks 1000+ calorie shakes in addition to 2 meals of everything.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 10:47 AM   #16
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

easily can down 30-40 on these bad boys and damn albeit the sugar; but nuts are the kind of mass gain with obvs protein
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2019, 11:24 AM   #17
Webby12
Rep
Drives: Red

5 PB sandwiches along with my regular meals help me put on some serious weight.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 11:35 AM   #18
TNTMYM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW e90 M3

Quote:
Primary is D-end so 255 with foot speed is fine until college. He is still getting taller so bulk is tough. Drinks 1000+ calorie shakes in addition to 2 meals of everything.
Maintaining foot speed is a challenge while bulking, quick weight gain multiplies force applied to underdeveloped tendons/ligaments, which can cumulatively lead to injury/downtime.However, if you are methodical/patient and cycle winter bulk diet and training with a spring maturation and strength training cycle, you cover all the required leg tendon/ligament/muscle structural needs and avoid common injuries such as, Quad/Hamstring tear, ACL/MCL strain/sprain/rupture not to mention the less common but more severe Achilles injuries. Most athletes will experience strains and sprains on a regular basis and just work through them, the scar tissue builds up, aids inflammation and inevitably decreases their performance on the field.

Last edited by TNTMYM3; 06-25-2019 at 11:42 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2019, 12:29 PM   #19
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Didn't read your original post clear enough, my fault. 255 is plenty for d-end
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2019, 01:49 PM   #20
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTMYM3 View Post
Quote:
Maintaining foot speed is a challenge while bulking, quick weight gain multiplies force applied to underdeveloped tendons/ligaments, which can cumulatively lead to injury/downtime.However, if you are methodical/patient and cycle winter bulk diet and training with a spring maturation and strength training cycle, you cover all the required leg tendon/ligament/muscle structural needs and avoid common injuries such as, Quad/Hamstring tear, ACL/MCL strain/sprain/rupture not to mention the less common but more severe Achilles injuries. Most athletes will experience strains and sprains on a regular basis and just work through them, the scar tissue builds up, aids inflammation and inevitably decreases their performance on the field.
You are spot on. He is at one of the top OC football programs that has a legit weight trainer and nutritionist. Cycle appropriately. Just keeping him on track is the challenge. Forgot how stubborn and dumb 16 was.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 06:47 PM   #21
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

16@ 225? holy fackkkk that's a big boy.

tntm3, thank you for taking the time to write that up. i'll piggyback off this thread.

besides peanut butter and milk, what else can one incorporate to add in some cals (for someone on the go during the day)?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 07:28 PM   #22
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Nuts, chug mct oil?
Appreciate 0