M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

07-01-2019, 08:30 PM   #1
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
The Master Cleanse

Has anyone done this besides me? I finished a 10 day round last Wednesday. I lost a total of 19.47 lbs. over that interval and transitioned back to a low carb diet. I feel amazing, look great and sleep much better. I'm going to lose another 10-15 to get back to my freshman year of college weight.

A little background:

"The Master Cleanser is a liquid diet that provides a healthy amount of calories and nutrients specifically suited for cleansing, all while resting the digestive system and allowing the body to heal naturally. The Master Cleanse has been tested and approved since 1940 by millions of people all around the world and is constantly reported as the most successful diet of its type.
Over the years, The Master Cleanse has gone by many names such as The Lemonade Diet, The Cayenne Pepper Diet, The Maple Syrup Diet (all from ingredients in the Lemonade). The Lemonade Diet is also known as the Beyonce Diet, thanks in part to the fame Beyonce brought to the cleanse when she did the diet to lose weight for the movie Dreamgirls."

Because a large part of this is a salt-water cleanse on a daily basis, your gut gets cleaned out completely. Not to get too gnarly, but you will have epic explosive diarrhea and for the first two or three days anything you ate in the 1990s and early 2000s will make it's last noxious appearance. After that you'll pretty much pass water. The first 3 days you'll find out the meaning of the word starvation but it becomes easier until day 9 when you can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Day 10 was anticlimactic.

Here's a link: http://themastercleanse.com
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 10:05 AM   #2
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

So now the Russians are also trying to decimate the population????

Were you an insulin-dependent diabetic, what would your take be on this? Things like this and keto appeal to me until I think about adjusting my insulin and hypoglycemia. I don't LIKE hypoglycemia!!
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      07-02-2019, 10:26 AM   #3
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
So now the Russians are also trying to decimate the population????

Were you an insulin-dependent diabetic, what would your take be on this? Things like this and keto appeal to me until I think about adjusting my insulin and hypoglycemia. I don't LIKE hypoglycemia!!
You are well beyond my pay grade and level of competence to discuss this. Diabetes is WAY too complex for me to even begin an educated guess on the impact of the cleanse on the disease state. I'd suggest speaking to your physician after you've read all of the relevant information.

Let me know what you've uncovered.
Thanks-mk
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 10:38 AM   #4
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Why not just wait until you get a colonoscopy. Every 5 years your good to go. And it only takes 2-days
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      07-02-2019, 10:44 AM   #5
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
You are well beyond my pay grade and level of competence to discuss this. Diabetes is WAY too complex for me to even begin an educated guess on the impact of the cleanse on the disease state. I'd suggest speaking to your physician after you've read all of the relevant information.

Let me know what you've uncovered.
Thanks-mk
Fine, just kick the crutch to my fat ass right out from under me without even making a tiny bit of effort. Lazy bastage

Serious, luckily you have never experienced an insulin-induced hypoglycemic event. Few things (puppies, rainbows, long walks on the beach) bring me to utter tears and crumple me to the floor like a hypo. And the accompanying lack of control and frustration . . . I haven't wanted to punch something since that time I let my youngest fall out of the shopping cart, TWICE (to put it in perspective you might understand)

From a Dr/discussion standpoint, I can't remember the last time I saw a Dr. long enough to be able to even remember that I had a question like this, never mind actually having the discussion.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 11:58 AM   #6
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

I would be kind of hesitant to try something like this without talking to your Dr. first like MK suggested.

I've done that cleanse a few times years ago. Like mentioned... the first few days are the hardest. But near the end...it's kind of euphoric feeling and I felt like I could go days longer with no problems.

Plus with not having to worry about eating...you get so much more done in other areas.

But with being diabetic, it's hard to say as you respond differently to how it would impact your blood glucose levels.

At what point have you noticed you start feeling uncomfortable?

I mentioned in the past I grew up with both parents having it. So I had plenty of time to experiment on myself with sticking my fingers, and seeing what certain dietary changes would do. As I also mentioned before...I'm kind of a nerd in that aspect. Always interested in the effects of diet on the body's hormonal processes.

I remember going weeks in the past with BG numbers in the 40's with no adverse reactions or even feeling bad. However if one of my parent's levels were to drop that low....they would be in a world of hurt!

Last edited by Rmtt; 07-03-2019 at 05:22 AM..
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      07-02-2019, 08:11 PM   #7
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

40 in mg???

I begin to feel euphoric/manic about 75 There is a window before I start to lose motor control where EVERYTHING is so clear. I can't remember what it was I was contemplating though
Below about 55 is where I start crumpling on the kitchen floor, hopefully with milk or juice

Since my brain is only working at the lizard level, some of those controls in place slip and I can be Mean
      07-02-2019, 08:58 PM   #8
irishbimmer
Banned
Rep
Drives: Silverstone M6 CP, Bulldozer,

MK; I could lose the weight but can you blend in some chardonnay instead of the lemon juice?
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34171.50
UncleWede17809.50
      07-03-2019, 05:38 AM   #9
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
40 in mg???

I begin to feel euphoric/manic about 75 There is a window before I start to lose motor control where EVERYTHING is so clear. I can't remember what it was I was contemplating though
Below about 55 is where I start crumpling on the kitchen floor, hopefully with milk or juice

Since my brain is only working at the lizard level, some of those controls in place slip and I can be Mean
Yeah....it was something I worked towards when I was testing out Keto diets. I wanted to see at what BG levels my body started producing ketones...and how deep I could take it.

I can't recall the exact number, but I know that the brain requires an almost certain set-point of sugar in the system to function. It won't burn fat, so it turns to glycogen stored in the liver....then starts using ketones as fuel once that is depleted.

Then it will rely upon gluconeogenesis and actually convert protein to sugar through various pathways. That to me was the biggest downfall of Keto diets. If you weren't getting enough protein, your body would start breaking down muscle tissue to get the Amino Acids it needed for the process.

Not optimal if trying to body-build. Now for someone needing to lose a ton of weight and get their insulin sensitivity back in check pretty quickly...it's not a bad plan as long as you try to get most of your fats in the form of healthy fats. But that is very hard to do on true keto diets. (80%F, 20%P)

You see a big drop in LDL, LLDL, Triglycerides. Unfortunately over the years, through my testing and looking at tons of blood-work.....it seems that raising HDL levels are only slightly impacted by diet. HIIT cardio seems to work best at that.

But cholesterol is a whole other subject that is be re-evaluated at the moment. Dr.'s are seeing people with what would be high cholesterol levels come back with tests that show very low inflammation and arterial plaque levels.

And at the other side of the spectrum, they are sometimes seeing the opposite in athletes who have healthy cholesterol levels...but higher inflammation and arterial plaque levels.

Just goes to show that practicing medicine is just that....practicing!
      07-03-2019, 10:09 AM   #10
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

^ My cholesterol #s are on the low side total, pretty good HDL. But I can still see that one xray that they took for my shoulder. "WTF are those lines running down my arm???" I have some serious plaque build-up.

In my worrying, I know I won't have time for cancer to kill me, it will be MI. I always had the number 55 since being diagnosed at 14 as my age at death. 3 years left come August.

MK, I'm thinking of just doing the SWF at this point. Don't want to go out like Elvis!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 10:13 AM   #11
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbimmer View Post
MK; I could lose the weight but can you blend in some chardonnay instead of the lemon juice?
I'm not touching this one!!
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2019, 11:01 AM   #12
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
^ My cholesterol #s are on the low side total, pretty good HDL. But I can still see that one xray that they took for my shoulder. "WTF are those lines running down my arm???" I have some serious plaque build-up.

In my worrying, I know I won't have time for cancer to kill me, it will be MI. I always had the number 55 since being diagnosed at 14 as my age at death. 3 years left come August.

MK, I'm thinking of just doing the SWF at this point. Don't want to go out like Elvis!

Have you ever had a stress test and ejection fraction test done just for peace of mind since you are worried about MI?

My dad has had two heart attacks, open heart surgery with 4 by-passes, about 6 stents, and surprisingly his ejection fraction is actually pretty good.

What it proves is that diabetes attacks the vascular system and if you can stave that off and keep the muscle healthy...you stand a lot better chance of surviving an event.
      07-03-2019, 11:47 AM   #13
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

The basic stress test was done years ago. Since no other testing shows anything, I've never been refered for additional tests. Will have to WEbMD the EFT.

My dad had a quad when he had his MI around the age of 65. 90%+ blockage at teh time. Drove himself to the ER. . .
Within a few weeks I was helping him rebuild a fence on one of his rentals and kept asking: "Can *I* take a rest, and get something to drink???" He just kept going. But nowadays he has one of those pill cases with 10-20 for each day. And the edema in his lower legs is something I don't want to have anything to do with in my lifetime. But I see in myself a progression I saw in his legs at over the last several decades. The hair is now gone from ankle to about top of 1/4 socks. Starting to see some varicose veins creeping up the shins and topping the knees.

That extreme variation (40-400) in BS does horrible damage to small capillaries. It was always something I worried about right after diagnosis. Didn't want to go blind (at least not from THAT) or lose my feet. I did have a few leaks in one eye, but a quick shot of laser light about a decade ago and no new leaks.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 12:47 PM   #14
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The basic stress test was done years ago. Since no other testing shows anything, I've never been refered for additional tests. Will have to WEbMD the EFT.

My dad had a quad when he had his MI around the age of 65. 90%+ blockage at teh time. Drove himself to the ER. . .
Within a few weeks I was helping him rebuild a fence on one of his rentals and kept asking: "Can *I* take a rest, and get something to drink???" He just kept going. But nowadays he has one of those pill cases with 10-20 for each day. And the edema in his lower legs is something I don't want to have anything to do with in my lifetime. But I see in myself a progression I saw in his legs at over the last several decades. The hair is now gone from ankle to about top of 1/4 socks. Starting to see some varicose veins creeping up the shins and topping the knees.

That extreme variation (40-400) in BS does horrible damage to small capillaries. It was always something I worried about right after diagnosis. Didn't want to go blind (at least not from THAT) or lose my feet. I did have a few leaks in one eye, but a quick shot of laser light about a decade ago and no new leaks.
Just a measurement of how effective the heart chambers are pumping and shows what condition the heart muscle itself is in.

My dad had the laser on his eye awhile back too.

As for the edema, hopefully you are already taking something preventatively such as HCTZ which is a very mild diuretic. My dad didn't go that route...now has to rely on Lasix...but that can screw up other levels of things if not careful.
      07-03-2019, 04:34 PM   #15
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

No edema for me yet. But by the other changes, I'm about 20 years behind where my dad was. He was 24 when I was born, so. . .

So, MK. I'm of Irish decent as well. This whole "no alcohol" part could be difficult. I'm curious how you handle a date.
"So, would you like a drink? I'm going to have a lemon drop martini, hold the gin"
"I had a late lunch, you enjoy a nice meal. I'm going to have another lemon drop where the barkeep dropped the gin"
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34171.50
      07-03-2019, 05:25 PM   #16
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

You drink enough booze already that will sterilize things dont worry
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 05:34 PM   #17
BS_CS
No Armrest club
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 CS / 2014 BMW X5

I thought this stuff was just made up from an episode of The Office. Turns out this is legitimately something people do? Not for me man, no way, nope, not having it. Best of luck peeing out your butt though, hope it's worth it.

07-03-2019, 10:22 PM   #18
irishbimmer
Banned
Rep
Drives: Silverstone M6 CP, Bulldozer,

MK-I had some friends doing this back in the early 2000's and they were amazed that I did not due to my condition. My thing was eating healthy and exercise, which understandably is not possible under many work environments.
I think fasting is great for the body and I no longer do that since I'm off the competitive list.
However, I'd like to say that if your body is normal, the belief that this potion clears out years of stuff from the colon is a fallacy. Its excreted quite frequently. That just isn't the way things work, but I am glad you feel so great!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 04:15 AM   #19
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbimmer View Post
MK-I had some friends doing this back in the early 2000's and they were amazed that I did not due to my condition. My thing was eating healthy and exercise, which understandably is not possible under many work environments.
I think fasting is great for the body and I no longer do that since I'm off the competitive list.
However, I'd like to say that if your body is normal, the belief that this potion clears out years of stuff from the colon is a fallacy. Its excreted quite frequently. That just isn't the way things work, but I am glad you feel so great!!!

I agree. Just make sure you are getting enough fiber in your diet everyday, and you should be golden. Back in my competitive days, I figured with all the protein I eat......what could it hurt especially since I know I wasn't getting enough fiber.

But I have known guys who went in and got "roto-rooted" about a week before a show. It did drastically cut down on any bloat they had going on in their mid-section.
      07-08-2019, 03:02 PM   #20
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
No edema for me yet. But by the other changes, I'm about 20 years behind where my dad was. He was 24 when I was born, so. . .

So, MK. I'm of Irish decent as well. This whole "no alcohol" part could be difficult. I'm curious how you handle a date.
"So, would you like a drink? I'm going to have a lemon drop martini, hold the gin"
"I had a late lunch, you enjoy a nice meal. I'm going to have another lemon drop where the barkeep dropped the gin"
See...I know you and you are leaving off the part after, "hold the gin", which is, "in another glass so I can have it for a shot later".

And in the second example, similarly, "dropped the gin, in another glass so I can have it for a shot later".

I know you too well.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 10:34 AM   #21
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
I know you too well.
Which is why I was asking what YOU would do on a date. I'm secretly hopeful I'm never in the whole date situation again.

Gin shots, it's been a L O N G while <shudders>
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      07-09-2019, 10:40 AM   #22
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Which is why I was asking what YOU would do on a date. I'm secretly hopeful I'm never in the whole date situation again.

Gin shots, it's been a L O N G while <shudders>
I just have a Coke zero or a non-alcoholic beer. Easy peasy lemon squeezy...but no gin!

Shots. Ugh. The last time was years ago and was the reason we coined the phrase, "I didn't wake up, I came to." Worst. Day. EVER.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00