M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

08-27-2019, 02:16 PM   #1
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Funny things you've seen at the gym...

So I posted this in another thread, but figured it might make an interesting topic as I'm sure we've all all seen some crazy stuff as most of us are seasoned vets. Apologies if something like this already exists!
      08-27-2019, 02:17 PM   #2
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I will go first.

There was this guy at the gym a few months back who apparently didn't have his wireless earbuds setup right just literally jamming to Taylor Swift while he was in the gym. He didn't even know it was playing over his phone.

Imagine seeing a guy checking himself out in the mirror pseudo flexing while listening to "shake it off". (I think that's the name of the song).
      08-28-2019, 10:45 AM   #3
Spgm5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Singapore grey 14 m5

Gardening gloves!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
King Rudi13147.00
Rmtt8206.00
      08-28-2019, 10:52 AM   #4
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

I watched a lady using the assisted chin-up/pull-up machine by stepping on the pad that you are supposed to put your knees on. Then she proceeded to push down the pad alternating her feet like she was using it as a leg press. Everyone in proximity was staring and looking around at each other with baffled looks on their faces. To go a step further, she only had 10 pounds on it.

I see all kinds of crazy misuse of equipment. I'll start making mental notes and sharing them here.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      08-28-2019, 02:47 PM   #5
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
I watched a lady using the assisted chin-up/pull-up machine by stepping on the pad that you are supposed to put your knees on. Then she proceeded to push down the pad alternating her feet like she was using it as a leg press. Everyone in proximity was staring and looking around at each other with baffled looks on their faces. To go a step further, she only had 10 pounds on it.

I see all kinds of crazy misuse of equipment. I'll start making mental notes and sharing them here.

Seen something similiar...but involved a man and he had around 100lbs of assisted weight pinned on it. Anyways he stepped off at the bottom steps and the pad flew up nailing him right in the balls.

Nobody knew what to do as I guess they didn't want to embarrass him further, so anyone close to him just scattered as he lay in the floor for awhile!
      08-28-2019, 03:15 PM   #6
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

No matter how many times I see this I chuckle everytime ...guys who go to the gym wearing those mask that make them look like Bane from Batman
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
F32Fleet3524.50
      08-28-2019, 03:27 PM   #7
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

I've seen people use the pull up assist as a single leg press, I also will use it as a tricep press down move and it's fairly effective.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      08-28-2019, 03:48 PM   #8
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Seen something similiar...but involved a man and he had around 100lbs of assisted weight pinned on it. Anyways he stepped off at the bottom steps and the pad flew up nailing him right in the balls.

Nobody knew what to do as I guess they didn't want to embarrass him further, so anyone close to him just scattered as he lay in the floor for awhile!
Too damn funny!! I see people sit on the pad and stradle it with both legs hanging over the sides. It just looks awkward. I also watched a new guy trying to show off in front of his wife the other night. I'm assuming that he didn't understand the mechanics of the machine. The less weight you have pinned the more of your own body weight you're pulling up. He had all the weight pinned, got on the pad and it didn't lower at all. He kept trying until it lowered slowly, I imagine it was roughly his body weight. He did around 5, then got off the thing and strutted around with his chest all pumped out. The guy next to me and myself were dying laughing. Congrats buddy, you just lifted nothing 5 times. I don't know how he didn't catapult himself through the drop ceiling.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      08-28-2019, 03:54 PM   #9
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
I've seen people use the pull up assist as a single leg press, I also will use it as a tricep press down move and it's fairly effective.
Interesting. Never thought of that. I will raise the bar to the top peg on the smith machine, move the bench to where the handle of the bench is slightly behind the bar, load up the weights, then step on the handle of the bench with my toes only and have my heels hanging off, position myself under the bar like I'm doing squats and do my calf extensions this way. I get a much better range of motion versus using the calf extension machine. I also don't have to wait on the people that love using the calf extension machine to sit on while they play with their phone.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 05:35 PM   #10
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Must consider that seated primarily works the soleus while standing stiff leg moves work the gastrocnemius because it inserts above the knee. Should do both moves not that I have enviable calves.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 04:46 AM   #11
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
Interesting. Never thought of that. I will raise the bar to the top peg on the smith machine, move the bench to where the handle of the bench is slightly behind the bar, load up the weights, then step on the handle of the bench with my toes only and have my heels hanging off, position myself under the bar like I'm doing squats and do my calf extensions this way. I get a much better range of motion versus using the calf extension machine. I also don't have to wait on the people that love using the calf extension machine to sit on while they play with their phone.
I do something similar, but we have this little metal stand that is about 8"-10" high, and about 4" wide on top. It's base is pretty broad, so you don't have to worry about tipping it over.