M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

08-30-2019, 08:52 AM   #1
Paul567
Rep
Drives: Nissan Sentra 2005

Electric ATV Riding

Any electric ATV experts? My son is getting 12 and he's asking for his first ATV. He got pedal kart a few years ago, now he wants more and faster so we are thinking of ATV. Does anyone get this vehicle? Is it safe for a small boy? How long is battery life? What brand would you recommend?

Well, I decided to update my post just FYI. So I've been looking for an electric ATV which my wife would like and it was not so hard as we expected. After reading dozens of forums and posts I found an interesting blog https://www.kidsatvsale.com/electric-atvs-for-kids/ that reviews the most popular brands on the market. Soon after we decided to buy a Razor bike with hand brakes that looks like a real ATV. If my son goes well with electric ATV, we gonna but a gas one a bit later. We've got a local park where we gonna take a test drive. Hope it's firm enough to last for ages

Last edited by Paul567; 09-11-2019 at 04:46 AM.. Reason: new
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 09:15 AM   #2
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
I'm pretty sure he's going to get bored with an electric ATV. They arent there yet as far as fun factor goes.

Just get a gas powered one

I started doing motorcross when I was 8, progressed to "adult" size bikes when I was 13. Starting racing ATV's when I was ~ 19. Theres nothing like the sound of a 2/4 stroke between your legs. You'll never reproduce that feeling with an electric motor.

My 2 cents. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 11:29 AM   #3
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul567 View Post
Any electric ATV experts? My son is getting 12 and he's asking for his first ATV. He got pedal kart a few years ago, now he wants more and faster so we are thinking of ATV. Does anyone get this vehicle? Is it safe for a small boy? How long is battery life? What brand would you recommend?
I thought you wanted to get him a go kart?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 05:32 AM   #4
Paul567
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
I thought you wanted to get him a go kart?
I'm considering both variants as I got 2 boys
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2019, 06:33 AM   #5
Paul567
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
I'm pretty sure he's going to get bored with an electric ATV. They arent there yet as far as fun factor goes.

Just get a gas powered one

I started doing motorcross when I was 8, progressed to "adult" size bikes when I was 13. Starting racing ATV's when I was ~ 19. Theres nothing like the sound of a 2/4 stroke between your legs. You'll never reproduce that feeling with an electric motor.

My 2 cents. Good luck!
Thanks a lot for your advice. We're thinking of gas ATV as well but they are pretty noisy. We'd like to start riding in our neighborhood so it's an important issue. And I was told electric ATVs are much safer, especially for beginners.
Appreciate 0