M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

10-03-2019, 07:27 AM   #23
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Other things I'd suggest avoiding would be the 'biggest loser' style competitions - these seem good on the surface, but often provoke the type of dieting that will end up rebounding (regaining the weight), and the PC issues noted above.

And as long as you don't dress like the prancercise woman I guess it's all good.
This!!! I bitched at the HR girl last year for how they were pushing the biggest loser contest. We ended up with a team that collectively lost a bunch of weight, even though there was chicanery with the initial weigh in. We had employees that didn't work out and did a low carb diet, they basically starved themselves for 3 months. Once the contest was over, they gloated, there were some jealous employees throwing shade over how much weight they lost; but with in two months after the contest was over, you could see physically that they were fatter then they were before the contest began.

I tried explaining the mentality behind this to HR and stating that they were only hurting the employees by pushing this as hard as they were. I refused to take part of the contest. I felt that if I was going to lose weight, I was going to do it right and do it for me rather than to win prizes. In my opinion, a person only needs to lose about 1 pound to 2 pounds (this is pushing it) a week. Anything beyond that, you are doing yourself harm. Losing weight due to making healthier food choices and incorporating some form of physical activity regularly is great. Pushing employees to drop a bunch of weight in an any means necessary fashion is counterproductive. At a rate of max 2 pounds a week (that's 7,000 calories a week deficiency or calories burned doing cardio - that's a lot!) each person should only expect to lose 25 pounds (MAX!) total during the contest. We had some people that lost 50-60. Those are the individuals who are bigger now than they were before.

I honestly hadn't thought about the prancercise lady. Perhaps I should give my Richard Simmons look a break and alternate between the two.

Last edited by King Rudi; 10-03-2019 at 07:37 AM..
Appreciate 1
Maynard3768.50
      10-03-2019, 07:43 AM   #24
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Our plant did that as well as part of a "step" challenge. The Shipping and Receiving guys figured out that they could make it looked like they were walking if they mounted it on their forklifts.

They were turning in ridiculously high numbers each week....everyone knew they were up to something.

I guess I'm kind of the snob of our facility as I never take part in the challenges. Plus the other people at work said it wasn't fair because I stayed in shape.

Personally I don't really care aside from having the lower insurance rates!
There are always those guys. Our facility is full of them.

I've refused to participate in any of our incentives here aside from the annual health risk appraisals. I will say that I took great delight in the facial expression of the lady that reviewed my numbers from the previous year to this years results. She couldn't believe it and thought there was an error, until I showed her a picture of me from a year ago. It also made me smile when the lady, that took my blood sample got excited over how vascular my forearms are.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      10-03-2019, 08:14 AM   #25
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

what line of work are you in?

One of my past employers did a month long competition for steps. Every week you turned in your step count, and each weekly winner got a small prize. at the end of the month, the overall winner got a bigger prize.

My current company created a workout room in our warehouse and we have done a few of the workout video programs. each person who did every workout for the program got a shirt, and we did them during business hours so we got paid to work out. We've also done biggest loser competitions as well.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13147.00
      10-03-2019, 08:29 AM   #26
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
what line of work are you in?

One of my past employers did a month long competition for steps. Every week you turned in your step count, and each weekly winner got a small prize. at the end of the month, the overall winner got a bigger prize.

My current company created a workout room in our warehouse and we have done a few of the workout video programs. each person who did every workout for the program got a shirt, and we did them during business hours so we got paid to work out. We've also done biggest loser competitions as well.
I'm a Project Coordinator for 200 year old Japanese company. If you've eaten mustard that wasn't French's or Heinz in the past 30 years, odds are, it came from our facility. We also produce and bottle vinegar for damn near everyone who has a vinegar label.

I would love to have an onsite gym. A marketing company that I worked for years ago had a gym on the 4th floor that we were allowed to use during business hours. I rarely used it, but it was great. If a customer pissed you off, you were encouraged to go upstairs and throw some weight around or wail on a punching bag. It was great stress relief for about 5 minutes, then you were out of breath, sweaty and tired.

I see quite a few people mentioning the step counting thing. I'll mention this and see what kind of reaction I get from corporate.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      10-03-2019, 08:39 AM   #27
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
There are always those guys. Our facility is full of them.

I've refused to participate in any of our incentives here aside from the annual health risk appraisals. I will say that I took great delight in the facial expression of the lady that reviewed my numbers from the previous year to this years results. She couldn't believe it and thought there was an error, until I showed her a picture of me from a year ago. It also made me smile when the lady, that took my blood sample got excited over how vascular my forearms are.
That's about where I am at now. I participate just enough to get my rates reduced. Our current nurse is used to seeing my weight swing 25+lbs in both directions depending on the time of year....so she just asks me if I'm okay and says see you next time.

It's nice to be able to show such a dramatic change. I applaud you for putting in the work. Getting there is the hard part. Now you are at a place where you can play and experiment with your diet and exercise, and you can see the impact almost immediately. That's when it becomes fun.

On a side note, they now measure us with a handheld BF scanner. Years ago when we had a different plan...they used calipers and did like a 7 site "pinch".

I remember the exam falling right before I was going on vacation. The last test was for BF, and the nurse who was in her 50's told me to strip down to my shorts (we were instructed to wear shorts as they would be doing this)....and she turned away digging in her bag to get her calipers out.

When she turned back around...she kind of gasped and said.."Oh My".

I think that day I was easily in the 6% range. At the time, I was going at the gym pretty hard and could have probably walked onstage for a show with a little water manipulation.

The rest of my appointment was her asking me what she needed to do to lose weight, about diet, etc. I wanted to tell her that she was supposed to be the expert....and there to tell me how I was to improve my health.
      10-03-2019, 09:22 AM   #28
Watching The World Burn
Lengthy but not a Girthy Member
Rep
Drives: 1971 Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
Deloitte? Your details are correct and it was a decent program. I outfitted my home gym with that.
Yup
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 09:28 AM   #29
Watching The World Burn
Rep

Quote:
I'm a Project Coordinator for 200 year old Japanese company. If you've eaten mustard that wasn't French's or Heinz in the past 30 years, odds are, it came from our facility. We also produce and bottle vinegar for damn near everyone who has a vinegar label.
Right then, given your contributions to the "dropping a deuce at work" thread, I whole heartedly appreciate this information. French's / Heinz are safe to buy since ignorance is bliss, stay away from rest of the mustard, and don't buy vinegar.

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 09:47 AM   #30
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watching The World Burn View Post
Right then, given your contributions to the "dropping a deuce at work" thread, I whole heartedly appreciate this information. French's / Heinz are safe to buy since ignorance is bliss, stay away from rest of the mustard, and don't buy vinegar.

I don't recall my contributions to the "making brown at work" thread consisting of anything detrimental to our product. Hell, I very rarely even make it out to the production floor.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2019, 10:27 AM   #31
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Quote:
I trust that you aren't operating in any supervisory role in this day and age are you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
I have an employee who lost a significant amount of weight. She got all bent because someone made a very positive, non-sexual, comment to her that she "looked great." She took that as meaning that she "looks great" now as opposed to NOT looking great before. IOW, "you used to be fat and ugly" is how she interpreted a casual compliment. There's no winning these days; you're F-d no matter what you do.
Well - I'm winning in the sense that I don't get my panties in a wad worrying about someone else.

Not like fat molecules have hidden warlock potential, it can't disguise itself in some other way... If you're fat, you're fat, is what it is. Get up off your lazy ass, not saying anything wrong
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
King Rudi13147.00
      10-03-2019, 11:11 AM   #32
Watching The World Burn
Rep

Quote:
I don't recall my contributions to the "making brown at work" thread consisting of anything detrimental to our product. Hell, I very rarely even make it out to the production floor.
Not so much you in particular as it was comments with respect to the rest of the employees all taking dumps...that do work on the floor.

And while I don't believe you specifically mentioned it, I'm going to surmise that at least one of them, but probably more than one, probably feels that they don't need to wash their hands after either. Because there always seems to be at least one of these persons at any given place.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 12:09 PM   #33
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Not so much you in particular as it was comments with respect to the rest of the employees all taking dumps...that do work on the floor.

And while I don't believe you specifically mentioned it, I'm going to surmise that at least one of them, but probably more than one, probably feels that they don't need to wash their hands after either. Because there always seems to be at least one of these persons at any given place.

I do realize that your comments are meant in jest, however; I'm not sure that I appreciate the cut of your jib sir. This thread is in regards to what other members employers, or former employers, offered as employee wellness incentives, not about people not washing their hands at work in a food manufacturing facility. We take these things very seriously here and it seems that you are eluding to slandering our good name based off assumptions that you have made yourself, not something that I have stated. Yes, people work here and people poop. No way around that. They aren't pooping in the production area. By this rationale should no one ever eat in restaurant again because people who poop work there?

For the record, there are multiple hand wash stations throughout our facility. All employees are required to wash their hands before they enter the production area. This is a non negotiable standard in GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices) and also one that we are audited on regularly. After each break, including lunch, employees are lined up at hand washing stations before they enter the production area. I can assure you that there is no danger in fecal matter contaminating our product. If we were in the practice of demonstrating poor GMP's, our company would not have survived the last 200 years.

Please elaborate on what comments that I made, in respect to the rest of the employees at this facility, in regards to pooping at work that you feel justifies slandering our facility? Enlighten me. If you have nothing to share in regards to the topic of this thread, please take your assumptions somewhere else.

Last edited by King Rudi; 10-03-2019 at 12:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      10-03-2019, 03:05 PM   #34
Watching The World Burn
Rep

Quote:
I do realize that your comments are meant in jest,
Very true.

Quote:
however; I'm not sure that I appreciate the cut of your jib sir. .
You are entitled to feel this way. It is also inconsequential. Neither of us really matter here.

Quote:
This thread is in regards to what other members employers, or former employers, offered as employee wellness incentives, not about people not washing their hands at work in a food manufacturing facility. .
Agreed. It is however in OT. And as seasoned members are aware, threads rarely stay on topic. This has had over 72 hours on topic, which is a rarity you should feel relatively good about IMO.

Quote:
We take these things very seriously here and it seems that you are eluding to slandering our good name based off assumptions that you have made yourself, not something that I have stated. Yes, people work here and people poop. No way around that. They aren't pooping in the production area. By this rationale should no one ever eat in restaurant again because people who poop work there?

For the record, there are multiple hand wash stations throughout our facility. All employees are required to wash their hands before they enter the production area. This is a non negotiable standard in GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices) and also one that we are audited on regularly. After each break, including lunch, employees are lined up at hand washing stations before they enter the production area. I can assure you that there is no danger in fecal matter contaminating our product. If we were in the practice of demonstrating poor GMP's, our company would not have survived the last 200 years.

Please elaborate on what comments that I made, in respect to the rest of the employees at this facility, in regards to pooping at work that you feel justifies slandering our facility? Enlighten me. If you have nothing to share in regards to the topic of this thread, please take your assumptions somewhere else.
You have asked to be enlightened, being the ever courteous soul that I am, I'd like to provide the following points as a roadmap towards your path to enlightenment:

1. Slander is an untrue defamatory statement spoken orally. Libel on the other hand is the same defamatory statement, but written. Libel would have been a better word.

2. Defamation (or defamatory statements) are statements presented as fact that causes injury or damage to the character of the person it is about. I did not name any names, nor do I know the company you work for. Accordingly, I fail to understand how the character of your company specifically has been impugned.

3. Intent is also a crucial piece of the puzzle in order to successfully argue defamation. Intent suggests that I made a statement with the knowledge it was untrue or with reckless disregard for the truth (meaning I questioned the truthfulness, but said it anyhow). My statement was that I surmise at least one employee probably doesn't wash their hands. Surmise is to "suppose something is true without having evidence to confirm it". In other words, a guess. With that word there, an argument for intent sort of falls flat on its face.

I tend to choose my words carefully. I wish others would do the same.

So....feeling enlightened? Or are you just raging?

Think of it this way - use this as fuel to hit the gym.

References
https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/d...nder-and-libel
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 03:52 PM   #35
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Very true.

You are entitled to feel this way. It is also inconsequential. Neither of us really matter here.

Agreed. It is however in OT. And as seasoned members are aware, threads rarely stay on topic. This has had over 72 hours on topic, which is a rarity you should feel relatively good about IMO.

You have asked to be enlightened, being the ever courteous soul that I am, I'd like to provide the following points as a roadmap towards your path to enlightenment:

1. Slander is an untrue defamatory statement spoken orally. Libel on the other hand is the same defamatory statement, but written. Libel would have been a better word.

2. Defamation (or defamatory statements) are statements presented as fact that causes injury or damage to the character of the person it is about. I did not name any names, nor do I know the company you work for. Accordingly, I fail to understand how the character of your company specifically has been impugned.

3. Intent is also a crucial piece of the puzzle in order to successfully argue defamation. Intent suggests that I made a statement with the knowledge it was untrue or with reckless disregard for the truth (meaning I questioned the truthfulness, but said it anyhow). My statement was that I surmise at least one employee probably doesn't wash their hands. Surmise is to "suppose something is true without having evidence to confirm it". In other words, a guess. With that word there, an argument for intent sort of falls flat on its face.

I tend to choose my words carefully. I wish others would do the same.

So....feeling enlightened? Or are you just raging?

Think of it this way - use this as fuel to hit the gym.

References
https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/d...nder-and-libel
This is hilarious. Thank you for taking the time to point out the difference between slander and libel. Although I should have chosen my words more carefully, your reply above does not remove the fact that you insinuated that you should stay away from our product based off of "contributions" in another thread that were not made.

In response to your diversion posted above, you did not enlighten me on what I posted that gave you the notion that you should not purchase our product. You did pick up on the use of the word slander used in the form of a noun, when I used it as a verb. They are different. Fact is, I said nothing in another thread that would make one assume that our product is unsafe for consumption and rather than answer my question to point out what I said, that reflects this notion, you diverted while making an ass of yourself.

Raging? Nah, I don't get upset over what random strangers have to say on the internet. For you to assume that it upsets me or that I can/will use it for fuel for the gym is comical.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 04:34 PM   #36
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

The CEO once had me change a setting on our external spam filter that would allow his email to originate from outside our network. Within a few hours people were complaining that he was spamming them to take açaí berry and lose weight

Modified the rule so it could only come from Crackberry servers
Rmtt8206.00
      10-04-2019, 09:09 AM   #37
Watching The World Burn
Rep

Quote:
This is hilarious. Thank you for taking the time to point out the difference between slander and libel. Although I should have chosen my words more carefully, your reply above does not remove the fact that you insinuated that you should stay away from our product based off of "contributions" in another thread that were not made.

In response to your diversion posted above, you did not enlighten me on what I posted that gave you the notion that you should not purchase our product. You did pick up on the use of the word slander used in the form of a noun, when I used it as a verb. They are different. Fact is, I said nothing in another thread that would make one assume that our product is unsafe for consumption and rather than answer my question to point out what I said, that reflects this notion, you diverted while making an ass of yourself.

Raging? Nah, I don't get upset over what random strangers have to say on the internet. For you to assume that it upsets me or that I can/will use it for fuel for the gym is comical.
While I can't help but feel there is a little bit of a bitter undertone in both your replies, I truly hope I'm wrong and that you are indeed finding this hilarious. For I too am greatly enjoying myself.

And wouldn't it be nice if neither of us held any animosity to the other? I can assure you that's the case on my end, and it won't change despite your reply. I understand I'm repeating myself, but this is because neither of us really matter online. I believe there are some relationships that people have from this site, but for the majority of members, if you were to stop posting, you'd be quickly forgotten by everyone, except for those perhaps who have your email / cell. It doesn't matter whether you think you are well known here or not, you will be forgotten. The same applies in all work environments. Leave, and all the employees will quickly forget you. Move away from friends and they'll forget you. Family is about the only thing where hopefully you matter. And even that isn't a given sadly.

The initial post was made purely in jest, I do wonder if you were having a bad day / outside factors, as normally you would pass such stuff by if it wasn't funny, but this time you decided to attack which suggests to me you either feel much more protective about a company you were joking about leaving not long ago due to office space reconfigurations, or there were outside factors contributing to a bad day and you decided to let off a little steam in this direction.

Your response just piques the simple curiosity I have which causes me to try to analyze (wrongly at times and perhaps this was one of them) why people acted in a certain way in a given situation and whether there are other factors at play than those at the surface. But it doesn't trigger any animosity.

I'm not defending my statement, I cannot be more clear, it was made in jest, there is no defense.

You can always put me on your ignore list though if you'd prefer!
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13147.00
      10-04-2019, 09:29 AM   #38
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
While I can't help but feel there is a little bit of a bitter undertone in both your replies, I truly hope I'm wrong and that you are indeed finding this hilarious. For I too am greatly enjoying myself.

And wouldn't it be nice if neither of us held any animosity to the other? I can assure you that's the case on my end, and it won't change despite your reply. I understand I'm repeating myself, but this is because neither of us really matter online. I believe there are some relationships that people have from this site, but for the majority of members, if you were to stop posting, you'd be quickly forgotten by everyone, except for those perhaps who have your email / cell. It doesn't matter whether you think you are well known here or not, you will be forgotten. The same applies in all work environments. Leave, and all the employees will quickly forget you. Move away from friends and they'll forget you. Family is about the only thing where hopefully you matter. And even that isn't a given sadly.

The initial post was made purely in jest, I do wonder if you were having a bad day / outside factors, as normally you would pass such stuff by if it wasn't funny, but this time you decided to attack which suggests to me you either feel much more protective about a company you were joking about leaving not long ago due to office space reconfigurations, or there were outside factors contributing to a bad day and you decided to let off a little steam in this direction.

Your response just piques the simple curiosity I have which causes me to try to analyze (wrongly at times and perhaps this was one of them) why people acted in a certain way in a given situation and whether there are other factors at play than those at the surface. But it doesn't trigger any animosity.

I'm not defending my statement, I cannot be more clear, it was made in jest, there is no defense.

You can always put me on your ignore list though if you'd prefer!
Initial response was in fact a bit bitter. Off day. Forgive my lack of whimsical personality that usually have. I hold no animosity toward you. I agree completely with everything you've stated concerning relationships. I've found this to be true the hard way. This is why I don't let things bother me too much these days. In the end most things are irrelevant.

We're good sir. I don't have anyone one here on ignore. Again, forgive my arrogance and dryness yesterday.....it was an off day.
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2019, 09:36 AM   #39
Watching The World Burn
Rep

Quote:
Initial response was in fact a bit bitter. Off day. Forgive my lack of whimsical personality that usually have. I hold no animosity toward you. I agree completely with everything you've stated concerning relationships. I've found this to be true the hard way. This is why I don't let things bother me too much these days. In the end most things are irrelevant.

We're good sir. I don't have anyone one here on ignore. Again, forgive my arrogance and dryness yesterday.....it was an off day.
I wasn't offended before, so nothing to forgive sir. Intrigued, yes, but not offended. We're all good!
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13147.00
      10-04-2019, 06:01 PM   #40
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Get a fucking room, geez
      10-13-2019, 04:39 AM   #41
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
My hospital offers free asbestos as an incentive for breathing treatment.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13147.00