M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-09-2013, 11:49 PM   #1
bm5bullit
Lieutenant
bm5bullit's Avatar
United_States
54
Rep
579
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW M5
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

AMS Catted DP's

I got the AMS catted downpipes installed at the dealer today and they were able to get the job done fairly quickly. I went by to pick the car up this afternoon and check out their work.

I started it up in their customer delivery area and I was just flat amazed by the sound difference. Instantly reminded me of the older Turbo 911's with regards to the slightly raspy sound and turbo noises. It is, without a doubt, the single best performance mod out there, IMO, for the F10 M5. While I was busy paying the install bill, an M3 owner and a couple of the Service employees asked me to start it and rev the car. They were equally blown away by the sound from just the catted DP's. The Service Mgr. also asked me to start and fully agreed with our impression of the exhaust sound.

Thanks, Nate, for giving me all of the information I needed to make the decision between the catted and catless. I am an older hotrodder and I can tell you that this exhaust sound fills my needs. Roll down your window when you want to hear that nasty turbo growl or roll it up when you don't. Again, the best performance mod for the buck.
__________________
2017 Audi A8L - her car
2013 M5, AW, black extended merino, AMS DP's, BEL Sti-R, Laser Blinder, RKT lip, MSR CAI, Corsa, SSP Spec R mods
2018 Chev. ZR2 truck, Daily Driver
2008 E60 M5 - Gone
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 12:07 AM   #2
Grayblack
Captain
Grayblack's Avatar
118
Rep
901
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 LRP
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (8)

Congrats. Are you running this with the stock exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 12:37 AM   #3
The_Phil
New Member
1
Rep
20
Posts

Drives: M6 E63
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

What's with the stock exhaust pops and cracks, are they still there and louder by now? with the most aftermarket exhaust they will be gone.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 12:48 AM   #4
Grayblack
Captain
Grayblack's Avatar
118
Rep
901
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 LRP
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Phil View Post
What's with the stock exhaust pops and cracks, are they still there and louder by now? with the most aftermarket exhaust they will be gone.
I'm running the 3D Design axle back, which maintains the cracks still. The catless downpipes magnify the cracks. Just check out RPiM5's videos.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 02:30 AM   #5
Rob///M5
Major
Rob///M5's Avatar
47
Rep
1,342
Posts

Drives: 2013 M5 SSII
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Phil
What's with the stock exhaust pops and cracks, are they still there and louder by now? with the most aftermarket exhaust they will be gone.
Most exhausts retain pops and cracks
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 02:32 AM   #6
Rob///M5
Major
Rob///M5's Avatar
47
Rep
1,342
Posts

Drives: 2013 M5 SSII
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bm5bullit
I got the AMS catted downpipes installed at the dealer today and they were able to get the job done fairly quickly. I went by to pick the car up this afternoon and check out their work.

I started it up in their customer delivery area and I was just flat amazed by the sound difference. Instantly reminded me of the older Turbo 911's with regards to the slightly raspy sound and turbo noises. It is, without a doubt, the single best performance mod out there, IMO, for the F10 M5. While I was busy paying the install bill, an M3 owner and a couple of the Service employees asked me to start it and rev the car. They were equally blown away by the sound from just the catted DP's. The Service Mgr. also asked me to start and fully agreed with our impression of the exhaust sound.

Thanks, Nate, for giving me all of the information I needed to make the decision between the catted and catless. I am an older hotrodder and I can tell you that this exhaust sound fills my needs. Roll down your window when you want to hear that nasty turbo growl or roll it up when you don't. Again, the best performance mod for the buck.
Congrats! What performance characteristics have changed?

Did you say dealer, as in BMW service dept, did install? That seems weird. How many hours of work?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 03:46 AM   #7
h4nh
Major
h4nh's Avatar
United_States
191
Rep
1,086
Posts

Drives: 09 SC E90 M3 / 13 F10 M5
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 E90 M3 (superc ...  [5.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob///M5 View Post
Congrats! What performance characteristics have changed?

Did you say dealer, as in BMW service dept, did install? That seems weird. How many hours of work?
yeah I'm wondering the same thing. Removing cats is illegal and most exhaust shops wont even do it. lol
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 05:30 AM   #8
boots
Curve Thrasher
boots's Avatar
422
Rep
3,624
Posts

Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Cypress Tx

iTrader: (0)

Congrats. Video when you get a chance.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 05:31 AM   #9
boots
Curve Thrasher
boots's Avatar
422
Rep
3,624
Posts

Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Cypress Tx

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4nh View Post
yeah I'm wondering the same thing. Removing cats is illegal and most exhaust shops wont even do it. lol
He said he bought the catted version.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 07:29 AM   #10
Nate@IND
Nate@IND's Avatar
1693
Rep
11,160
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (19)

Thanks again for everything! I would love to hear a video of the AMS Downpipes + OEM exhaust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4nh View Post
yeah I'm wondering the same thing. Removing cats is illegal and most exhaust shops wont even do it. lol
The catted AMS Downpipes are CARB approved in 48 states. The cats they use also come from the 1000hp GTR program.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 01:10 PM   #11
bm5bullit
Lieutenant
bm5bullit's Avatar
United_States
54
Rep
579
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW M5
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayblack View Post
Congrats. Are you running this with the stock exhaust?
Yes, I am running the stock exhaust with the flaps wired open. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Phil View Post
What's with the stock exhaust pops and cracks, are they still there and louder by now? with the most aftermarket exhaust they will be gone.
The pops and cracks are still there but it is louder. Sounds great with the window rolled down and still fairly quiet inside the cabin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob///M5 View Post
Congrats! What performance characteristics have changed?

Did you say dealer, as in BMW service dept, did install? That seems weird. How many hours of work?
Thanks. The dealer did the install and one more local forum member, Protious, will have his done by the dealer by Monday. They are catted which is why they were able to install them. They charged me for 6.5 hours of labor which is about what Nate said that they would take.

The result is that the throttle tip-in is what is much easier to do from a dead stop. Now you can hear the exhaust and easily tell when you are having wheelspin due to the revs changing tone. Breaks the tires loose easier now in first, second and third. Very, very happy with the results. As I stated before, sounds a lot like the raspy exhaust on the olders air-cooled Porsche Turbos. I will try to do a video/sound clip today or tomorrow.
__________________
2017 Audi A8L - her car
2013 M5, AW, black extended merino, AMS DP's, BEL Sti-R, Laser Blinder, RKT lip, MSR CAI, Corsa, SSP Spec R mods
2018 Chev. ZR2 truck, Daily Driver
2008 E60 M5 - Gone
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #12
MasterDank
Boats & Hoes
MasterDank's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
345
Posts

Drives: 13 F10 M5 Sakhir Orang,Chohiba
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: K-Town HI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm5bullit View Post
The result is that the throttle tip-in is what is much easier to do from a dead stop. Now you can hear the exhaust and easily tell when you are having wheelspin due to the revs changing tone. Breaks the tires loose easier now in first, second and third. Very, very happy with the results. As I stated before, sounds a lot like the raspy exhaust on the olders air-cooled Porsche Turbos. I will try to do a video/sound clip today or tomorrow.
True you are much more aware of rpm's with a louder exhaust... With the 6MT I really felt a big improvement in smoothness from the DP's.

Aloha
Alex
__________________
Change is inevitable Progress Is optional
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #13
h4nh
Major
h4nh's Avatar
United_States
191
Rep
1,086
Posts

Drives: 09 SC E90 M3 / 13 F10 M5
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 E90 M3 (superc ...  [5.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
He said he bought the catted version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate@IND View Post
Thanks again for everything! I would love to hear a video of the AMS Downpipes + OEM exhaust.



The catted AMS Downpipes are CARB approved in 48 states. The cats they use also come from the 1000hp GTR program.
ah I misread for cat-less
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #14
boots
Curve Thrasher
boots's Avatar
422
Rep
3,624
Posts

Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Cypress Tx

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4nh View Post
ah I misread for cat-less

No worries, that's what we're all here for.
Now, I want to hear one with an aftermarket exhaust besides the indy one. On the Indy video, you can hear the turbo spool up pretty good. Is is the same with the stock exhaust?
__________________
2013 Bmw M5-Alpine White/Black-Oem gloss blk powder coated wheels-Expel clear bra-35% tint-Rpi Gtm Exhaust-Rpi Downpipes-Rpi Scoops-Halim Cazimi Performance Tune-KwV3 coilovers

Country run
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 04:43 PM   #15
bm5bullit
Lieutenant
bm5bullit's Avatar
United_States
54
Rep
579
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW M5
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
No worries, that's what we're all here for.
Now, I want to hear one with an aftermarket exhaust besides the indy one. On the Indy video, you can hear the turbo spool up pretty good. Is is the same with the stock exhaust?
The catted models are not quite as loud, I imagine, and yes, you can still hear the turbos spool on the catted.
__________________
2017 Audi A8L - her car
2013 M5, AW, black extended merino, AMS DP's, BEL Sti-R, Laser Blinder, RKT lip, MSR CAI, Corsa, SSP Spec R mods
2018 Chev. ZR2 truck, Daily Driver
2008 E60 M5 - Gone
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #16
boots
Curve Thrasher
boots's Avatar
422
Rep
3,624
Posts

Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Cypress Tx

iTrader: (0)

bm5built chk your pm
__________________
2013 Bmw M5-Alpine White/Black-Oem gloss blk powder coated wheels-Expel clear bra-35% tint-Rpi Gtm Exhaust-Rpi Downpipes-Rpi Scoops-Halim Cazimi Performance Tune-KwV3 coilovers

Country run
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #17
h4nh
Major
h4nh's Avatar
United_States
191
Rep
1,086
Posts

Drives: 09 SC E90 M3 / 13 F10 M5
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 E90 M3 (superc ...  [5.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
I would love a cat-less down pipe but I don't want another car that makes me nauseous from exhaust fumes for a daily. haha
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 06:04 PM   #18
Vic55
Brigadier General
Vic55's Avatar
943
Rep
3,996
Posts

Drives: 2017 Audi R8 V10
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: THE Orange County

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm5bullit View Post
I got the AMS catted downpipes installed at the dealer today and they were able to get the job done fairly quickly. I went by to pick the car up this afternoon and check out their work.

I started it up in their customer delivery area and I was just flat amazed by the sound difference. Instantly reminded me of the older Turbo 911's with regards to the slightly raspy sound and turbo noises. It is, without a doubt, the single best performance mod out there, IMO, for the F10 M5. While I was busy paying the install bill, an M3 owner and a couple of the Service employees asked me to start it and rev the car. They were equally blown away by the sound from just the catted DP's. The Service Mgr. also asked me to start and fully agreed with our impression of the exhaust sound.

Thanks, Nate, for giving me all of the information I needed to make the decision between the catted and catless. I am an older hotrodder and I can tell you that this exhaust sound fills my needs. Roll down your window when you want to hear that nasty turbo growl or roll it up when you don't. Again, the best performance mod for the buck.

Sounds awesome---- sorry if I read too quickly but did you get a CEL with these?
__________________
2018 BMW M5 First Edition
2018 Porsche GTS Cabriolet Carmine Red
2017 Audi R8 V10 Suzuka Gray
2016 AMG GTS Edition 1 Selenite Grey
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 07:36 PM   #19
Protious
Private First Class
16
Rep
157
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW M5
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

I just got mine installed today, I do not have a CEL after 30 miles.

Here is a video clip, of both my M5 and BM5BULLIT's

My M5


BM5BULLIT'S M5


This is a video of my M5 before AMS Downpipes:



Keep in mind this was taken on a normal microphone, so you can't hear everything. You can definitely hear the turbo, and the sound is amazing. Completely (in my opinion) wakes the beast up.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 07:48 PM   #20
Protious
Private First Class
16
Rep
157
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW M5
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Pictures of installation process..









Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #21
Vic55
Brigadier General
Vic55's Avatar
943
Rep
3,996
Posts

Drives: 2017 Audi R8 V10
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: THE Orange County

iTrader: (8)

Protious thanks for the vids---- what exhaust system, if any, are you running?
__________________
2018 BMW M5 First Edition
2018 Porsche GTS Cabriolet Carmine Red
2017 Audi R8 V10 Suzuka Gray
2016 AMG GTS Edition 1 Selenite Grey
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 08:22 PM   #22
Protious
Private First Class
16
Rep
157
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW M5
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Stock exhaust, charcoal filter delete, and exhaust valves are wired open.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:25 PM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST