Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

01-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #45
ddmerino
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Honda

ED available by August 2012

Great News! If ED is available in August, then I may have the chance to drive the M5 to Provence in southern France to see fields of Lavender in bloom.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 03:01 PM   #46
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmerino View Post
Great News! If ED is available in August, then I may have the chance to drive the M5 to Provence in southern France to see fields of Lavender in bloom.
It is. Please see what we just posted:

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=637220

Looks like you'll get to see the fields of lavender
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 01:02 AM   #47
mrhonest
Oil pump waitlister
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Frozen Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWNA_MGuy View Post
The technical debate between M-DCT and 6MT was concluded long ago (M-DCT is technically superior with Launch Control, perfect shifts, and the chance to left-foot brake when needed), but that's irrelevant because technical advantage is not the point of offering the 6MT.

6MT offers an "M Pure," fully-involved driving experience, especially for drivers legally held below 80mph as in North America, except when visiting a race track. Furthermore, driving an M5 (all M cars, in fact) was traditionally a manual transmission experience and many North American customers savor the chance to maintain the skills they developed to drive M cars. We proudly serve those customers with the 6MT option on this car. Driving a manual transmission is seen by many BMW owners as a way to reduce distraction and improve focus while driving.

Having driven a few thousand miles in the M5 with both M-DCT and 6MT configurations, I've been telling people that the M5 feels "...like a 150% scale 1 Series M Coupe, but with sharper response, more feedback, and even better stability." To complete the experiential connection to the 1M, a driver would obviously need the 6MT. That is also the "full M5 experience."
This is probably the most logical argument I have heard in recent times over the whole manual vs DCT debate. While manual is definitely not for me after having driven cars like the GTR, I can certainly support the argument put forth above. Well said sir
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 05:46 AM   #48
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

I will add another advantage to stick that some of you don't know of - its called "winter driving". Not sure what it is really but I find that winter driving with stick is so much easier and controllable then any other transmission. I am sure manufacturers have made improvements with traction and plus ways you can do this is DCT/Auto but its just natural in MT. I think it has something to do with the engine braking; when you release the gas, rather then coast (natural fuel effecient action) and look for you to slow via hitting brakes the car actually gradually slows down controllably using the engine rotation and apply equal friction to each wheel in a very predictable manner.