M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

06-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #45
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
I drove an M6 Gran Coupe with the Carbon Ceramic Brakes on it and I gotta say they didn't stop the car any better than the steel rotors did. I did many hard braking tests to see if I could feel a difference and I honestly couldn't. Although not having any more brake dust would sure be nice!
Ceramic brakes aren't supposed to magically reduce your stopping distance as much as reduce brake fade over time after repeated hard stops. But that doesn't seem to stop people from wanting the upgraded brakes and claiming all of a sudden that they can stop on a dime compared to people with regular brakes.

However, even a properly designed and sized steel brake setup can resist fade nearly as well or just as well as ceramics. That setup isn't what typically comes OEM of course, but for example most people using a StopTech BBK setup find that it renders brake fade at the track a total non-issue. I have an ST60 kit going on my car in a month or so for my next track event in September. But in any case, that's one of the reasons for the Porsche people switching back to steel I mentioned above. The weight savings of ceramics just aren't worth the added penalties if you can get equivalent performance from steel with much lower maintenance costs.

As for ceramics on the next M3, I think I'd still prefer a BBK for the cost reasons, though perhaps the next-gen's steel brakes will be good enough out of the box. But then again I don't see myself being tempted by the next M3. I think the REAL weight savings will come in the generation AFTER the F80, judging by the rumors that heavy use of carbon fiber in the next-gen 7 will make that car lighter than the F10 5 Series. And all else being equal, the lighter the car, the less heat generated by the brakes and therefore the less need for carbon ceramics.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 06-18-2013 at 03:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #46
alexey21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NlckyBlack View Post
The 991 S took a dump on the M6 even with about 150hp or so not in its favor

I saw that and i gotta say, it seemed staged.

I agree that the first part of the test where they did the speed run the Porsche wins hands down.

BUT how does the Porsche make a better drift car than the RWD M6? That left me with the intention, bad driver, or staged. A heavy RWD car with so much torque and power and it doesnt drift... we all know that bs.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 04:19 PM   #47
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Ceramic brakes aren't supposed to magically reduce your stopping distance as much as reduce brake fade over time after repeated hard stops. But that doesn't seem to stop people from wanting the upgraded brakes and claiming all of a sudden that they can stop on a dime compared to people with regular brakes.

However, even a properly designed and sized steel brake setup can resist fade nearly as well or just as well as ceramics. That setup isn't what typically comes OEM of course, but for example most people using a StopTech BBK setup find that it renders brake fade at the track a total non-issue. I have an ST60 kit going on my car in a month or so for my next track event in September. But in any case, that's one of the reasons for the Porsche people switching back to steel I mentioned above. The weight savings of ceramics just aren't worth the added penalties if you can get equivalent performance from steel with much lower maintenance costs.

As for ceramics on the next M3, I think I'd still prefer a BBK for the cost reasons, though perhaps the next-gen's steel brakes will be good enough out of the box. But then again I don't see myself being tempted by the next M3. I think the REAL weight savings will come in the generation AFTER the F80, judging by the rumors that heavy use of carbon fiber in the next-gen 7 will make that car lighter than the F10 5 Series. And all else being equal, the lighter the car, the less heat generated by the brakes and therefore the less need for carbon ceramics.
Agreed. But I think they are going to implement some of that new Carbon Reinforced Plastic into the M4. I'm just guessing though.

As for brake fade. Has anyone tried to install Racing Brake Fluid in their F10 M5 yet? I think this might be my next mod. I put it in my E60 M5 and I NEVER had a problem with brake fade for the rest of the 40,000miles that I owned the car, and you should all know how hard I drive my M5's by now.

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 04:21 PM   #48
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexey21 View Post
I saw that and i gotta say, it seemed staged.

I agree that the first part of the test where they did the speed run the Porsche wins hands down.

BUT how does the Porsche make a better drift car than the RWD M6? That left me with the intention, bad driver, or staged. A heavy RWD car with so much torque and power and it doesnt drift... we all know that bs.
Yeah something looked a little fishy to me as well, but I can't put my finger on it. Other than that, I thought it was one of the best videos I've seen. I mean Sabine driving the new ///M6?! It's like my dream come true!

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 08:00 PM   #49
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

^ That should be the first mod for any car that sees any track time. I use Castrol SRF personally. Way more expensive than Super Blue or Motul, but it doesn't have to be bled between flushes (which should happen every 12-18 months), and if you don't bleed your own fluid, the savings on labor more than outweigh the cost of the fluid.

Super Blue and Motul should be bled every few months or few track days, whichever comes first, though if you only do 1-2 track days per year you may be able to get away with not bleeding at all. I'd change it at LEAST every 2 years regardless though. Can't believe BMW is now recommending 3-year intervals rather than 2 without any change to the fluid. My M3 was the first production month that change took effect.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0