Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

07-27-2018, 01:39 AM   #1
Vancouver_M440
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 M5 Sedan

Buying 2012 M5 and need help deciphering service history

I found a good deal on a used Monte Carlo Blue 2012 at the local BMW dealer. I am hoping this is my way back to BMW M cars since I sold my M3 a couple of years ago. I am missing it badly. I got 6 years of service records for the M5 from the dealership and a few items scare me. Maybe you good folks here can shed some light on it and let me know if you've had this issue or it's just fluke random issues. I'm most worried about the big gotchas. Any advice would appreciated. Anyway, here we go.

The first year was pretty uneventful with the standard break-in service at 2000kms and diff oil change. Though I noticed the dealer was topping up oil every 2 months for about 6 months there after. Is the this the dreaded oil consumption? Does it continue forever or does it get better with mileage? How much oil are you guys consuming regularly?

Annual oil change was done more or less after 1 year followed by the 2nd oil change about another year after. Then it's just usual, cabin filter change, brake fluid change. First unscheduled fix was the rear stratification controller possibly due to a leak in the B-pillar. It said the fresh air grill was swapped and the part was the Fresh Air Grill Center. Anyone have leaky B pillars? The recall for heat protection mat for the coolant lines were also done at the end of that year.

In 2015, year 3, I saw the first spark plug change at 34000 km. Maybe scheduled? My M3 didn't change for quite a while. I think I only had to change it once in 5 years but my mileage was low even though I dailied it.

Mid 2015 saw the biggest fix which was the cylinder head cover gasket leak. That looked expensive but under warranty of course. Then followed by the a brake pad check because computers were miscalculating. I'm guessing this affected multiple car models. Not worried about this.

In year 4, 2016, most of the crap when down. It was brought in for misfires and poor idling quality. They did an ABL. What is that? They changed the spark plugs again as part of the diagnosis which was just changed 8 month earlier. In the same service there was a leak with the coolant lines for the turbocharger and they were changed. A few months later the HDP High pressure fuel pump had a permanent malfunction. They replaced the left one. Should I be concerned that the right one wasn't replaced? Is this eventual?

Year 5, 2017, was relatively tame in comparison and mostly standard fluids and oil. Only non scheduled was some fresh air nozzle leaking. Not sure what it was leaking but they discharged and refilled the A/C.

At this point the owner traded the car back in and they did a certification pass to check the car in April of 2018 and found a few issues. Somehow the DCT was not displaying its gear properly on the instrument cluster. Looks like it was mainly fixed with just a reflash and no parts. Charge air temp sensor, air pressure sensor died and was replaced. Based on part number it's the MAP sensor. Finally for some reason headlight lens had to be replaced along with the whole control module for the adaptive headlight because water had gotten in.

Car overall looks to be in great shape consider it's 6 years old and has 72,000 kms (44,000 miles) on it. I test drove it and the DCT seemed normal or at least as normal as my M3 DCT used to be. Paint is pretty immaculate with no door dings and only about a handful of small rock ship/dents in the front bumper and the standard scratched under side where the bumper is lowest. I admittedly did the same in the M3 a few times. Not a single rim ding on any of the wheels. Interior is pretty great except for a rough scratchy spot on the very top center of the steering wheel. Options wise it's loaded and has the sunroof instead of the carbon top which is fine cause I'm not tracking the car. It doesn't have the B&O but I don't think they offered it in 2012. It even has the Night Vision camera.

Price is good and I'm hoping this works out after my wife test drives it tomorrow. Is there anything here too out of wack? Is this a good specimen or should I run away and keep looking for another deal? I do love the blue paint. Any thoughts or concerns would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 01:49 PM   #2
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

For my M6, I also had coolant leaks. Overall you should expect to have coolant and oil line leaks for any turbo car. For it to happen in the first 3 years is concerning...but again, it's par for the course for the S63.

The fuel pump I believe now has an extended 10 year parts warranty, so that shouldn't be of any concerns going forward.

When I was looking to buy a preowned M6, I noticed there was no single clean record for any dealership car. Not one. And I'm not just talking about recalled items. I picked the car where the non-recall items appears to be a result of a nit-picky owner and not any major defect of the car. I've seen records of owners getting interior trim pieces replaced or adjusted and things like that. Even when I got my car, I requested one nit-picky fix just to get it done before the bumper to bumper warranty was over - it was to address a foul odor from the A/C.

Some of the stuff you listed are fairly common occurrence that you'll see in records of any M5/6 out there. If anything I think the car got the issues out of the way, so you're getting a cleaner car than a car that didn't experience these issues. I would say the only thing unique about your car's history is that air nozzle, air vent and B pillar issue, and the ignition issues which is the first time I've heard of these items. Some of those issues are so endemic that the car will have nagging related problems for the rest of its life.

IMO, I would skip on this car. The rap sheet is just way too long for my comfort. I would hold out for a 2014 (various updates have been made) and look for one with better options (ZCP).

There's going to be some price compression for 2013s and 2014s in the future, meaning there will be minimum pricing difference between the two model years, but with dramatically different equipment/options and recorded issues with the two model year cars.

If anything, I would hold out for a 2015.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 07-27-2018 at 01:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 01:54 PM   #3
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

btw, I too owned a E90 M3. It was the single most reliable car I've ever owned. The only issue I had was the throttle actuators. You should have never sold. The 2011 E90 will be a hot commodity.
      07-27-2018, 06:52 PM   #4
Craze
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5 E60, M5 F10, X5 50i

I own a 2005 and 2012 m5
Both had some history

Neither of those cars has cost me money on unexpected repairs and ive owned 1 for 3 yrs and the other for almost a year

I have however managed to spend 10"s of thousands on maintenance and brakes and tires haha

Everyone said dont get the first release but ive had no issues

The only thing both cars had is full service history
As long as it doesnt have serious accident or documented issue i would buy it if price is right
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 12:02 AM   #5
Vancouver_M440
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 M5 Sedan

Thanks Flying Ace. That's informative. I spoke with a service agent today and I was most curious about the spark plug replacements. I didn't see any issues past the 3 year regarding any misfires or rough idle. The last spark plug change was at 60000kms which sounds to me like the standard replacement interval. The SA explained it to me as the service department trying the cheapest way to fix an issue. Sparkplugs were the cheapest thing to do so they always try that first. I test drove the vehicle a second time today and while I didn't wring it out to redline, the engine seemed smooth and eager. Also those other things I listed about the AC and the b pillar hasn't happened again since the service so it was a one time glitch now fixed.

I totally agree with getting a 2014 and newer car, but the cost is prohibitive for me. This is just an opportunistic buy of a car that suddenly dropped in price. For reference, the car only has 45,000 miles and the asking price is below $35K USD. There is nothing approaching that price and mileage that I could find. Most US cars are cost prohibitive with the exchange as it is. Most 2014 and 2015 US cars are hitting close to $60K CAD equivalent. So I suppose you get what you pay for. I am most likely getting a third party warranty that will cover all major issues should any arise. A spark plug replacement service alone will run $850 CAD after taxes.

I agree also with the M3's reliablity. It was rock solid in the time that I owned it except for the DCT transmission which had grown a bit rough in the last year before I sold, or at least not the same as new. I suppose it could run that way indefinitely but I didn't want to chance a failure. I think if I had known more about third party warranties, I would have just bought a warranty and kept it. I do miss it dearly which is why I'm trying to get back in an M5. That said the M5 is smoother and more relaxed cruiser than the M3. The 5 has the option to be a luxury car and a bruiser at the press of button.
Appreciate 0