Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

Yesterday, 12:02 PM   #1
AKRM2C
Just an F Series Owner
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Competition

Questions post valve cover gasket replacement

Hi everyone. Had my m5 f10 in for a service. Replaced all lower pan gaskets, and valve cover gaskets.

However, after everything is installed back on, i noticed a thick white smoke on the very first start that lasted for about 2 -5 seconds.

Asked the mechanic, they said its just cleaner residue that they used when cleaning the insides my cams and etc when my valve covers is removed. Is it actually fine and normal?

Also, after the first start, my high pressure fuel pump on bank 2 snapped and break. Ordered new ones (2pcs) and its coming in this week.

Mechanic said, one of the reason that white smoke appears can also be from the broken high pressure fuel pump.

Ps. Mechanic stated some high pressure fuel pumps do break due to aging. Car is currently 12 years old.

Asked several different workshops, and they said its completely normal regarding the smoke on first start after a valve cover gasket replacement. From the cleaners used to clean them.

Hopefully someone here can help assuring me that everything is fine.

And also, is there any way to check the work of the installation of valve cover gaskets? Like if it has been installed perfectly? Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:34 PM   #2
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

I don't think its anything to worry and the smoke should stop soon, was it an engine drop job or could it be done with it in situ..
Appreciate 1
AKRM2C22.00
      Yesterday, 07:41 PM   #3
AKRM2C
Just an F Series Owner
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Competition

M5Rick hi, no its not an engine drop job, just purely a gasket replacement with the engine still with the vehicle.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick60013.50