M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding

12-21-2012, 02:35 PM   #45
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toy

Garage List
If I could have opted for B&O in my E92 M3, I would have done it in a heartbeat!
Sold - 2003 E46 M3 LSB SMG
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #46
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6-Spd Manual MCB M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis1981 View Post
I personally ordered my car without the B&O, i was looking however for some feedback (as i will be ordering a new car soon) from those on the forum who have the upgraded sound-system.
Any thoughts so far? Was it worth it the 3700 USD? pros and cons?
Thanks in advance for the feedback and happy holidays.
If you are asking if there is difference, then the answer is that there simply is. As an example, if I play an ALAC/FLAC music encoded file (which is not lossy thereby file size is tremendous, a 4MB MP3 can be 400+MB ALAC/FLAC file) as opposed to a highly compressed MP3 in my M5 B&O system, I can tell which is encoded in ALAC (as an example I used Shostakovitch's Symphony #1), however if I play those same pieces of music (MP3 and ALAC) in my friends M5 non upgraded sound system, I could not tell the difference. It seems that the high end music system (non B&O) performs some clipping in the music it reproduces. I usually concentrate on the "attacks" of music transients and decays to tell the difference which seems to get thrown out by the non-B&O system. So my advice to those who are thinking of getting the B&O system, you should also consider the media you will be playing. If you think you will only be playing MP3 files or streaming via bluetooth (where data will be highly compressed as a result) there will be no difference in the reproduced sound.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #47
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybimmerfan View Post
If you think you will only be playing MP3 files or streaming via bluetooth (where data will be highly compressed as a result) there will be no difference in the reproduced sound.
I would take this even further. There WILL be a difference...the compressed audio will sound WORSE on the B&O than stock (US) system.

I can't bring myself to use bluetooth audio in the car for very long, and forget about Sirius (except talk radio).
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 12:16 AM   #48
RKJ10
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Space Grey

Satellite blows despite the B & O upgrade. However, if you are an audiophile and can appreciate better sound quality, go for it! At the price of the car, it's not that much more!!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 04:54 PM   #49
stevewilm
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2103 M6 Coupe

Puffysheep or others, can you share your eq settings. I don't know the sound of the V10, but I had a E39 (manual), a E55, and a 550i (lucky I had a 911 C4S for fun) and now a M6. The engine (exhaust) sounds pretty good, but I'd like to dial in my B & O settings from someone who didn't go to college in the late 70's and can stil here.

Help?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #50
darkrabbit
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '19 F36 440i GC, '03 E46 M3

I know this is an older thread but I wanted to chime in. I was trying to decide on whether to get the B&O, so I went and listened to the B&O with my own music off of an iPod in an M6 and compared directly with the premium sound in a 7 series (same as we get in the M5). I have to say, this move probably cost me $4900.

TL;DR: B&O is far and away better than premium and I'll be getting it.

Long version. Keep in mind I have an ear for this sort of thing

The B&O system is NIGHT AND DAY better than the premium. It's not even close. I listened to a Focal demo disc to test clarity, range and capability, some rock / metal as I listen to that, some new age, as well as some Deadmau5, Eric Prydz, etc. I set both systems to similar EQ settings as I wanted a fair judgement, as much as I could anyway. Took the surround off both as well as that's just processing which I'd expect the B&O to excel with. I also kept the volume low until the end when I wanted to see if either system would start to struggle (neither did).

I couldn't test imaging and staging as much as I would have liked, but as far as clarity it's a no brainer. I didn't have my IASCA test disc but the Focal disc did the job (they both have similar songs but the IASCA has imaging and staging tests). Well it brought out the highlights of the B&O and the faults of the premium right away. The premium is quite muddy when you get into lower frequencies. When a bass is playing and the vocalist uses a low pitch, they start to blend. Not good. In the B&O there is NO question where the vocals and the bass are, and there is distinct separation. The snare has a fantastic 'snap' to it that the premium cannot reproduce well. The kick drum kicks you in the B&O with a nice sharpness while the premium just sort of thumps and rolls off. In one song, the bassist is using a standup bass and there is fret buzz which you can hear near the beginning which isn't obvious unless you have a system which can really pick it up. The B&O shined. In higher frequencies the B&O was very precise, great detail and didn't have any tinny sound. I'd go into more detail but you get the idea.

Moving on to 'normal every day' music, the B&O was in one word - exciting! You couldn't wait to hear that next note, the next riff, the next chorus from a female vocalist... it took all my effort to not tell my sales guy to leave me alone for an hour lol. I had to drag myself away from it. The premium was in one word - adequate. There was nothing wrong with it per se, however I just didn't care. The lower frequency notes sounded muddy, the bass just didn't have that kick and had more of a rumble, the vocals were fine but they weren't prominent, and the highs sounded more 'hissy'. There was a clear lack of accuracy. The B&O you didn't want to turn off, you wanted to stay and listen to it all. The premium I could walk away from without a thought. And for me personally, that's not what I want in my M5.

Throughout the entire range the B&O was able to separate vocals and instruments much better than the premium, and the detail of the B&O was excellent. The last system I had that was this good had thousands of dollars of Focal gear in it with a great deal of sound staging and amplification behind it as well as a DSP / crossover with enormous precision in adjustment. You could absolutely put in an aftermarket system that would be better than the B&O, no problem at all. But it would be north of $8-10k once it's all said and done (speakers, amps, crossovers, install, etc) and wouldn't look nearly as good. Plus I don't want to rip my car apart.

If anyone considers themselves really into audio this is definitely a worthwhile option to think about and I'll be putting it in. I can't NOT have this. It's not for everyone, no question, and I am sure there are those who won't notice the difference or won't care worth $4900 / $3700US. The premium, properly equalized, could also be improved I am sure and sound great. But the B&O is just that next level, and when properly equalized as well I am sure would be that much better. And I LOVE to mess with settings

In the end, it is definitely a matter of preference, and the B&O isn't perfect, but it is definitely worth it IMO.
2016 Ford F250 Diesel - Carries things
2019 BMW F90 M5C - Sold and I regret it
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 10:06 PM   #51
bobafettt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaym3smg View Post
I know this is an older thread but I wanted to chime in. I was trying to decide on whether to get the B&O, so I went and listened to the B&O with my own music off of an iPod in an M6 and compared directly with the premium sound in a 7 series (same as we get in the M5). I have to say, this move probably cost me $4900.

TL;DR: B&O is far and away better than premium and I'll be getting it.

Long version. Keep in mind I have an ear for this sort of thing

The B&O system is NIGHT AND DAY better than the premium. It's not even close. I listened to a Focal demo disc to test clarity, range and capability, some rock / metal as I listen to that, some new age, as well as some Deadmau5, Eric Prydz, etc. I set both systems to similar EQ settings as I wanted a fair judgement, as much as I could anyway. Took the surround off both as well as that's just processing which I'd expect the B&O to excel with. I also kept the volume low until the end when I wanted to see if either system would start to struggle (neither did).

I couldn't test imaging and staging as much as I would have liked, but as far as clarity it's a no brainer. I didn't have my IASCA test disc but the Focal disc did the job (they both have similar songs but the IASCA has imaging and staging tests). Well it brought out the highlights of the B&O and the faults of the premium right away. The premium is quite muddy when you get into lower frequencies. When a bass is playing and the vocalist uses a low pitch, they start to blend. Not good. In the B&O there is NO question where the vocals and the bass are, and there is distinct separation. The snare has a fantastic 'snap' to it that the premium cannot reproduce well. The kick drum kicks you in the B&O with a nice sharpness while the premium just sort of thumps and rolls off. In one song, the bassist is using a standup bass and there is fret buzz which you can hear near the beginning which isn't obvious unless you have a system which can really pick it up. The B&O shined. In higher frequencies the B&O was very precise, great detail and didn't have any tinny sound. I'd go into more detail but you get the idea.

Moving on to 'normal every day' music, the B&O was in one word - exciting! You couldn't wait to hear that next note, the next riff, the next chorus from a female vocalist... it took all my effort to not tell my sales guy to leave me alone for an hour lol. I had to drag myself away from it. The premium was in one word - adequate. There was nothing wrong with it per se, however I just didn't care. The lower frequency notes sounded muddy, the bass just didn't have that kick and had more of a rumble, the vocals were fine but they weren't prominent, and the highs sounded more 'hissy'. There was a clear lack of accuracy. The B&O you didn't want to turn off, you wanted to stay and listen to it all. The premium I could walk away from without a thought. And for me personally, that's not what I want in my M5.

Throughout the entire range the B&O was able to separate vocals and instruments much better than the premium, and the detail of the B&O was excellent. The last system I had that was this good had thousands of dollars of Focal gear in it with a great deal of sound staging and amplification behind it as well as a DSP / crossover with enormous precision in adjustment. You could absolutely put in an aftermarket system that would be better than the B&O, no problem at all. But it would be north of $8-10k once it's all said and done (speakers, amps, crossovers, install, etc) and wouldn't look nearly as good. Plus I don't want to rip my car apart.

If anyone considers themselves really into audio this is definitely a worthwhile option to think about and I'll be putting it in. I can't NOT have this. It's not for everyone, no question, and I am sure there are those who won't notice the difference or won't care worth $4900 / $3700US. The premium, properly equalized, could also be improved I am sure and sound great. But the B&O is just that next level, and when properly equalized as well I am sure would be that much better. And I LOVE to mess with settings

In the end, it is definitely a matter of preference, and the B&O isn't perfect, but it is definitely worth it IMO.
Excellent summary! I am glad I chose to get it. I listen to music nearly the whole day long. Also, B&O custom builds and tests its systems for each vehicle it it installed in (Aston, BMW, Audi, and AMG). I just hope they fix the custom lighting for the speakers.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 04:01 PM   #52
scottiekay
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2013 M5

I got the B&O that was the only option other then the 20" wheels that I went for and I am thrilled with it. Excellent clarity at high volume and very powerful. I'd say it was worth it. I came from a 2010 C63 AMG with a Harmon Kardon system which was pretty good also.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #53
DietCokeOfEvil
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Last weekend I ran into another F10 M5 owner at the grocery story and we looked over each other's cars. I opted for the B&O and he went with the HK. The difference was clear and he was wishing he had ordered the B&O.

But it's an over-priced option. My thinking was "if I am spending this much ON a car" and "I love music" and "if I am spending this much IN a car".... might as well get it and not regret it.
Appreciate 0