Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

04-27-2019, 07:21 PM   #23
AddyDaddy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 M60, M5's, 535.335, M550i

Garage List
On any forum you only hear negatives, I'll be the first to post if my engine seized up. You don't hear from all the others who don't have issues, that's why we post here, for our highs and lows.

No one posts a post to say everything is ok.
2019 M550 686BK Black Chrome 20"wheels, filters, Evolve Stage 1, Res delete
2024 i5 M60 Cape York Green
Appreciate 5
      04-27-2019, 09:11 PM   #24
E93M3ofSFL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 F10 , 2008 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddyDaddy View Post
On any forum you only hear negatives, I'll be the first to post if my engine seized up. You don't hear from all the others who don't have issues, that's why we post here, for our highs and lows.

I spoke to Troy Jeup yesterday and he is loaded with M5's and M6's from all over the country that are failing at around 50k to 70k miles ...
All engine rebuilds !!

That says a lot to me ... these engines are not reliable at all ... it's a joke ....

Now he promised me new rebuild will be bulletproof.... he makes a lot of technical changes ... and reinforces crucial components...
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 09:43 PM   #25
Blaxwil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93M3ofSFL View Post
Quote:

I spoke to Troy Jeup yesterday and he is loaded with M5's and M6's from all over the country that are failing at around 50k to 70k miles ...
All engine rebuilds !!

That says a lot to me ... these engines are not reliable at all ... it's a joke ....

Now he promised me new rebuild will be bulletproof.... he makes a lot of technical changes ... and reinforces crucial components...
So you're saying Troy Jeup is doing what BMW couldn't do? Build a powerful yet reliable platform. Wow. That's saying a lot.

Wonder if you can save time and money by giving Troy an engine that's running versus waiting on the inevitable.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 09:59 PM   #26
E93M3ofSFL
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaxwil View Post
Quote:
Quote:

All engine rebuilds !!

So you're saying Troy Jeup is doing what BMW couldn't do? Build a powerful yet reliable platform. Wow. That's saying a lot.

Wonder if you can save time and money by giving Troy an engine that's running versus waiting on the inevitable.
That's a good question... I think nothing can be done unless you open up the engine and start changing weak parts . Also he mentioned 5w50 should be the correct motor oil to use on these engines ... otherwise disaster will come sooner ...
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 10:07 PM   #27
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Most likely rod bearing failure on OP's original post. Oil pump failures are quite rare. BMW replaced all defective pumps from 2012.

If it were me and I had an M5/M6 past 50,000 miles, I would just go ahead and do a rod bearing change with the ones that Troy Jeup or Steve Dinan uses on his Carbahn motors.

This will most likely ensure greater peace of mind for owners. The fact is that the S63tu still faces the same engineering design flaw as the S85 motors, BMW really doesn't care to build these engines with better reliability in mind, they want you to buy a new M5 when your warranty is up on your old M5. And I'm pretty sure that BMW is still using the same rod bearings from the S63tu F10 M5 in the S63tu4 in the F90 M5. The F90's suffer the same fates in a few years time as well.

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 10:11 PM   #28
E93M3ofSFL
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Most likely rod bearing failure on OP's original post. Oil pump failures are quite rare. BMW replaced all defective pumps from 2012.

If it were me and I had an M5/M6 past 50,000 miles, I would just go ahead and do a rod bearing change with the ones that Troy Jeup or Steve Dinan uses on his Carbahn motors.

This will most likely ensure greater peace of mind for owners. The fact is that the S63tu still faces the same engineering design flaw as the S85 motors, BMW really doesn't care to build these engines with better reliability in mind, they want you to buy a new M5 when your warranty is up on your old M5. And I'm pretty sure that BMW is still using the same rod bearings from the S63tu F10 M5 in the S63tu4 in the F90 M5. The F90's suffer the same fates in a few years time as well.
Agree 100% and that is unacceptable from such a major player in the car industry worldwide ...
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 10:34 PM   #29
mister2d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:

When you say "BMW" you should understand the difference between the BMW engineers and the BMW bean counters.

Basically, an engineer is reflected in what a concept car looks like. A bean counter is more reflected in what actually gets produced. If it were up to the engineers as to how the engine would be in production, it would be over engineered to the hilt because that's how they think.

Unfortunately when a design has to come to fruition and goes through the process of manufacturing, some things have to be reworked to meet the target price and audience.

So, to say that person X is doing something BMW couldn't do is a bit short sighted. It isn't that BMW couldn't make the engines more reliable. They just built it to a set of requirements.

Any engine builder can make the S63 bulletproof. Just because BMW puts a bunch of plastic parts around their engine doesn't make it holy and infallible.

Steve Dinan's company rebuilds these engines right now as a service to what they should have been from the start.
Appreciate 2
      04-27-2019, 11:05 PM   #30
BMWM5NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 Monte Carlo Blue M5

https://www.bbb.org/us/mi/jenison/pr...623/complaints

https://www.google.com/search?q=troy...obile&ie=UTF-8
      04-27-2019, 11:35 PM   #31
mister2d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Good eye. I'd stick with a reputable builder like Carbahn.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 12:27 AM   #32
Blaxwil
Captain
Rep

Boy. Some serious complaints against Troy Jeup. His shop sounds like Hospice for M5's. Send your beloved car/engine to him to die.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 12:49 AM   #33
Jasoneo5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997 TTs, GS-F, RS6, M6 GC-sold

Man this sounds brutal but I hear you. Best to get a blackstone analysis every oil change

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 01:19 AM   #34
GlenM5
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 F10 LCI CP

Interested in this.

Will an oil analysis help show the impending failure of the rod bearings?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 01:32 AM   #35
E93M3ofSFL
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenM5 View Post
Interested in this.

Will an oil analysis help show the impending failure of the rod bearings?

Thanks
Troy , told me that oil analysis could come up good and your engine would still fail next day ...
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 01:39 AM   #36
E93M3ofSFL
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Boy. Some serious complaints against Troy Jeup. His shop sounds like Hospice for M5's. Send your beloved car/engine to him to die.
Have you dealt with him to be so drastic ?? 1 or 2 complaints won't scare me ... haven't seen 1 complaint yet where an engine he built failed and that's what I want a bulletproof engine at a fair price . I don't need all the theater around a high overhead builder to pass on to me...so I end up paying $20k for a build .

You sound like you are his competition ...
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 03:06 AM   #37
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister2d View Post
Well...heres to another 78k.

Likely the last BMW I buy. I'll either lease another and give it up at the end or just stay with Porsche. Just too risky to own a modern ///M.
Porsche have their own weak engine timing shaft bearing problem in some engines but hey..give up on M? not on your nelly.I'd rather take the bus than drive any other. M FOREVER
Appreciate 2
      04-28-2019, 06:51 AM   #38
Blaxwil
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Have you dealt with him to be so drastic ?? 1 or 2 complaints won't scare me ... haven't seen 1 complaint yet where an engine he built failed and that's what I want a bulletproof engine at a fair price . I don't need all the theater around a high overhead builder to pass on to me...so I end up paying $20k for a build .

I sound like his competition? I'm mechanically inclined but wouldn't touch anything mechanical on an M. I just came out of warranty at 50K miles so the thread topic peaked my interest. Hardly his competition.

I do however get it as my comments were drastic. Bottom line, if he builds a bulletproof engine like you say, he would be found through someone's research should if they need to go down that road. The 2 complaints certainly didn't imply he's a crappy builder so I take that back. Customer service just wasn't up to par.

I'm assuming you used him used him in the past with great results??
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 06:58 AM   #39
E93M3ofSFL
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I sound like his competition? I'm mechanically inclined but wouldn't touch anything mechanical on an M. I just came out of warranty at 50K miles so the thread topic peaked my interest. Hardly his competition.

I do however get it as my comments were drastic. Bottom line, if he builds a bulletproof engine like you say, he would be found through someone's research should if they need to go down that road. The 2 complaints certainly didn't imply he's a crappy builder so I take that back. Customer service just wasn't up to par.

I'm assuming you used him used him in the past with great results??
Well , I can deal with crappy service if the end results are satisfactory... you know what ... time will tell ... keep you guys posted on what's going on ...

Feel confident he is the right guy ...
Appreciate 2
      04-28-2019, 07:21 AM   #40
M5Rick
General
Rep

I can quote a well known poster who drifts his M5 f10 in the Middle East regularily.At 75000mi or thereabouts he had his rod bearings replaced as a precaution and surprisingly the old ones were hardly worn in fact they were perfect.He says the secret to S63TT engine longevity is to gradually to warm up the engine then have the fun. When finished a gradual cool down drive to get the temps down before switching off makes a lot of sense to me and I am employing these tactics also as I plan on keeping my '13 for quite a while.
Who knows the engine builders may start complaining
Appreciate 4
      04-28-2019, 07:24 AM   #41
E93M3ofSFL
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
I can quote a well known poster who drifts his M5 f10 in the Middle East regularily.At 75000mi or thereabouts he had his rod bearings replaced as a precaution and surprisingly the old ones were hardly worn in fact they were perfect.He says the secret to S63TT engine longevity is to gradually to warm up the engine then have the fun. When finished a gradual cool down drive to get the temps down before switching off makes a lot of sense to me and I am employing these tactics also as I plan on keeping my '13 for quite a while.
Who knows the engine builders may start complaining
As I heard the motor oil you use can play a big rol as well ... 5w50 redline is the one Troy Jeup recommends
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 07:36 AM   #42
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
As I heard the motor oil you use can play a big rol as well ... 5w50 redline is the one Troy Jeup recommends
I'll look into that oil if that is suitable for the climate here.
(By the way slightly off the subject we had a great holiday recently on Miami Beach hotel on Collins Ave,great place and Ocean Drive was out of this world.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 07:46 AM   #43
E93M3ofSFL
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
Quote:
I'll look into that oil if that is suitable for the climate here.
(By the way slightly off the subject we had a great holiday recently on Miami Beach hotel on Collins Ave,great place and Ocean Drive was out of this world.
I am sure it was , Miami Beach is off the hook ... right ?
Appreciate 1
M5Rick59633.00
      04-28-2019, 08:08 AM   #44
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
I am sure it was , Miami Beach is off the hook ... right ?
The free buses came in handy and we visited the massive Bramar BMW dealer.I've never seen such a big dealer just floors and floors of cars but guess what there were no M5 f10's left for sale at the time.All sold out like hot cakes.
Appreciate 0