BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

09-27-2019, 02:02 AM   #1
ianm5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Tyre - MOT dangerous

I had a recent MOT fail, there was a bit of confusion and I wonder if anyone here can tell me if I was right. I don’t really know what I’m talking about my knowledge is just google.

My car was perfect but there was a bulge in a rear sidewall. A pain really, I look after my tyres and they had 4mm left. I know when it happened, it had been there for maybe 6months.

The main dealer called an MOT failure, I asked if the fault was minor, serious or dangerous and they just said ‘fail’. They said I could take it away to get new tyres, but I would have to sign a disclaimer.

There was a lot of to and fro, I was convinced that if they fail was dangerous that I couldn’t actually drive the car, they seemed reluctant to make that distinction. It would make the difference between Costco MSS tyres at 2x 220quid or bmw MSS tyres at 2x310 quid (buying and taking to bmw was an option that would take a week)

In the end I had to force the issue and they called ‘dangerous’ so I couldn’t move the car and bought the BMW taxed tyres.

I might come across as a complete muppet, but as I saw it, in the unlikely event something happened on that post fail MOT journey to sort tyres, I would have been mega-screwed.

I was confused why the MOT tester was reluctant to make the grading of fail. Is the guidance vague?

In fairness the dealership themselves were confused but extremely considerate and helpful, and even reduced the BMW tax a little.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 02:49 AM   #2
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianm5 View Post
I had a recent MOT fail, there was a bit of confusion and I wonder if anyone here can tell me if I was right. I don’t really know what I’m talking about my knowledge is just google.

My car was perfect but there was a bulge in a rear sidewall. A pain really, I look after my tyres and they had 4mm left. I know when it happened, it had been there for maybe 6months.

The main dealer called an MOT failure, I asked if the fault was minor, serious or dangerous and they just said ‘fail’. They said I could take it away to get new tyres, but I would have to sign a disclaimer.

There was a lot of to and fro, I was convinced that if they fail was dangerous that I couldn’t actually drive the car, they seemed reluctant to make that distinction. It would make the difference between Costco MSS tyres at 2x 220quid or bmw MSS tyres at 2x310 quid (buying and taking to bmw was an option that would take a week)
*I take the car for MOT one month before it's due so if there's an issue like tyres I still have that 4 week leeway with MOT still in force and plenty of time to look around for a good deal.

In the end I had to force the issue and they called ‘dangerous’ so I couldn’t move the car and bought the BMW taxed tyres.

I might come across as a complete muppet, but as I saw it, in the unlikely event something happened on that post fail MOT journey to sort tyres, I would have been mega-screwed.

I was confused why the MOT tester was reluctant to make the grading of fail. Is the guidance vague?

In fairness the dealership themselves were confused but extremely considerate and helpful, and even reduced the BMW tax a little.
Costco will have the Michelin tyre if it's the 20 inch usually the next day.With these they have to be made,not available off shelf.
Care to say what dealership you used and where it was, we post our experiences with dealerships on here to do with service and MOT.
*I take the car in for MOT one month before so if there is an issue like with a tyre there's plenty of time to sort something with the MOT still in force.

Last edited by M5Rick; 09-27-2019 at 04:04 AM.. Reason: change
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 12:20 PM   #3
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

Why would you buy tyres from a BMW dealership they are nearly twice the price of Blackcircles for example

I also wouldn't drive a car especially one like an M5 knowing it had a tyre bulge
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2019, 06:12 AM   #4
ianm5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

I don't think anyone would willingly buy tyres from a dealer, if you reread then you'll understand that was the underlying point, the car was essentially stuck and Costco were looking at 3-4 days to get the tyres.

I think I'm trying to understand whether serious/dangerous is a judgement call by the tester, and if serious is driveable, dangerous is illegal.

The dealer was one of the Halliwell Jones group. They were really good otherwise, everything on time, car immaculate, nice coffee. In the past I was hemorrhaging money to a Lotus dealer (Esprit) who would behave like they were doing you a favour, so its nice to see service commensurate with the price.
Appreciate 2
OneExtra809.50
M5Rick58903.50
      09-28-2019, 07:30 AM   #5
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianm5 View Post
I don't think anyone would willingly buy tyres from a dealer, if you reread then you'll understand that was the underlying point, the car was essentially stuck and Costco were looking at 3-4 days to get the tyres.

I think I'm trying to understand whether serious/dangerous is a judgement call by the tester, and if serious is driveable, dangerous is illegal.

The dealer was one of the Halliwell Jones group. They were really good otherwise, everything on time, car immaculate, nice coffee. In the past I was hemorrhaging money to a Lotus dealer (Esprit) who would behave like they were doing you a favour, so its nice to see service commensurate with the price.
Yeah the saying usually runs true with Lotus's, loads of trouble usually serious
The tester didn't want to stick his neck out on the tyre as it could turn into a loose cannon if the bulge would blow so you probably did the right thing not driving it.
Appreciate 0