M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding

09-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #1
vishwen
Private First Class
Mauritius
Rep
Drives: MCB M5

Iphone 4s

Hi Guys

Order the Snap i adapter for my 4S , one question is that when i snap the phone in the snap in adapter will i be able to see the songs list on my idrive or should connect it with the Y cable.

thks
330i M sport (2001) SOLD
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 09:54 AM   #2
TobiasMUC
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Coupe E92

Garage List
2009 BMW M3 E92  [10.00]
I have the "BMW Apple iPhone Media Snap In Adapter". All songs and playlists are available on the idrive.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #3
vishwen
Private First Class
Mauritius
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiasMUC View Post
I have the "BMW Apple iPhone Media Snap In Adapter". All songs and playlists are available on the idrive.
do have the part number?
330i M sport (2001) SOLD
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 10:14 AM   #4
TobiasMUC
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Coupe E92

Garage List
2009 BMW M3 E92  [10.00]
http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductDet...ProductId=3276
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 10:29 AM   #5
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

^ Correct. The Media snap-in handles audio and video directly. And in fact not only is there no way to connect a Y-cable while the phone is in the cradle, the Y-cable isn't even used anymore. Now you just connect via the normal white Apple USB cable to get (digital) audio, control, and even album art.

The ONLY extra benefits of the Media cradle over USB are PlugIn (native iPod interface on the iDrive display) and playback of videos stored on your phone -- the latter only works while stopped. Some people have claimed improved reception, but that's dicey on an iPhone because it doesn't have an actual external antenna connector like a BB, so any benefits would be inductive through the baseplate. And of course using the cradle frees up your USB port for something else to connect and charge too.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #6
Rohardi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Q50S Hybrid

So what do you do when you upgrade to the iPhone 5 (or what ever it will be called). do you just by a new dock for the phone?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 10:57 AM   #7
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohardi View Post
So what do you do when you upgrade to the iPhone 5 (or what ever it will be called). do you just by a new dock for the phone?
Yep, which is why these cradles are so dumb IMHO. They're crazy expensive, and if you're lucky they MIGHT work with two successive phone generations if Apple doesn't change the physical shape, like the 3G/3GS and 4/4S pairs. But there's no guarantee of that, and given how long it takes BMW to release a cradle for a given phone, you may already be thinking about your next phone by the time it's available. The iPhone 4 cradle came out about 8 months after the 4, only to be immediately recalled and then re-released about 3 months later. If Apple hadn't slipped on the 4S launch by several months, BMW would have been releasing a cradle for one phone almost exactly when Apple replaced it with their next one.

And all of this just to get PlugIn, video playback (only while parked, mind you), and the ability to use your USB jack for some other device?

I suppose you MIGHT be able to use the 4S cradle with a 5 with a cable like this: http://www.amazon.com/Ziotek-ZT13115...xp_grid_pt_0_0. That would run the phone through the cradle's electronics to get PlugIn and video without requiring the phone to physically fit into the cradle, but that assumes the electronics in the 4S cradle will work with the 5.

EDIT: Nope, the above solution won't work for the iPhone 5, nor will Apple's extension cord-style Lightning adapter, which is confirmed not to support video.

Gone but not forgotten:

Last edited by jphughan; 09-17-2012 at 05:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 10:58 AM   #8
vishwen
Private First Class
Mauritius
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
^ Correct. The Media snap-in handles audio and video directly. And in fact not only is there no way to connect a Y-cable while the phone is in the cradle, the Y-cable isn't even used anymore. Now you just connect via the normal white Apple USB cable to get (digital) audio, control, and even album art.

The ONLY extra benefits of the Media cradle over USB are PlugIn (native iPod interface on the iDrive display) and playback of videos stored on your phone -- the latter only works while stopped. Some people have claimed improved reception, but that's dicey on an iPhone because it doesn't have an actual external antenna connector like a BB, so any benefits would be inductive through the baseplate. And of course using the cradle frees up your USB port for something else to connect and charge too.

Thks

How do i play video on i drive?
330i M sport (2001) SOLD
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 11:00 AM   #9
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

^ While the phone is in the cradle, go to Multimedia > External Devices and select your phone. Then on the button stack on the left edge where you'd select your music library, skip tracks, etc, you'll see a Videos button. But you have to be using the Media cradle (not Music) and it only works for videos actually stored in your Videos library on the phone, i.e. you can't use it with the YouTube app or any third-party video apps on the phone.

You might also need to have the handbrake on and be in Park (assuming you have DCT).

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #10
AGS
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Quote:
Yep, which is why these cradles are so dumb IMHO. They're crazy expensive, and if you're lucky they MIGHT work with two successive phone generations if Apple doesn't change the physical shape, like the 3G/3GS and 4/4S pairs. But there's no guarantee of that, and given how long it takes BMW to release a cradle for a given phone, you may already be thinking about your next phone by the time it's available. The iPhone 4 cradle came out about 8 months after the 4, only to be immediately recalled and then re-released about 3 months later. If Apple hadn't slipped on the 4S launch by several months, BMW would have been releasing a cradle for one phone almost exactly when Apple replaced it with their next one.

And all of this just to get PlugIn, video playback (only while parked, mind you), and the ability to use your USB jack for some other device?
Another issue that I have heard with the cradle is that the iPhone has a tendancy to overheat in the cradle inside the closed armrest since there is little ability for heat created by the phone to dissipate.
Previous: 2019 Donnington Grey M5 Competition, 2016 Silverstone M5 CP, 2013 Monte Carlo Blue M5 CP (ED on 9/1/12), 2009 Carbon Black M5, 2006 Silverstone M5, 2003 Sterling Grey M5, 2000 Anthracite 540i6, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9Ltd, 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, 1978 Mazda RX-7
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #11
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwen View Post
Hi Guys

Order the Snap i adapter for my 4S , one question is that when i snap the phone in the snap in adapter will i be able to see the songs list on my idrive or should connect it with the Y cable.

thks
Not to mention the fact that the iPhone 5 will have a different plug. So all of our chargers etc will be useless to it. Bastards!!
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 02:37 PM   #12
zzzmmm
SICK
Rep
Drives: MCB F10 M5

Quote:
do have the part number?
I bought this part in the BMW store at the WELT. They have them behind the counter.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #13
bradone1
BMW Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 M Sport, 2015 M4 Vert

Guys, if anyone is ordering or expecting the iPhone 5 i would wait on getting any parts for this connection. Apple is 99% expected to change the connector at the bottom of the phone which means all new accessories for everyone.. BMW will most likely need to change that piece to allow for the new smaller connector, there will be an adapter from apple to convert new to old but that will be clunky and messy. iPhone 5 due out either Sept 12th or 21st... stay tuned..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 07:41 PM   #14
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlmd View Post
Not to mention the fact that the iPhone 5 will have a different plug. So all of our chargers etc will be useless to it. Bastards!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradone1 View Post
Guys, if anyone is ordering or expecting the iPhone 5 i would wait on getting any parts for this connection. Apple is 99% expected to change the connector at the bottom of the phone which means all new accessories for everyone.. BMW will most likely need to change that piece to allow for the new smaller connector, there will be an adapter from apple to convert new to old but that will be clunky and messy. iPhone 5 due out either Sept 12th or 21st... stay tuned..
The adapter wouldn't necessarily be large. If you take a look at the MagSafe 2 to MagSafe 1 adapter to allow the chargers that come with their new laptops to work on their older laptops, it's barely any wider than the connector itself and incredibly thin; I suspect the same will be true here, so having a standard white Apple cable in the car plus a tiny adapter will allow you to charge both iPhone 5s and every other iDevice out there. The cradle would be another story entirely, of course, but you could use the cable I linked above plus the adapter if you really wanted to, though that whole solution would definitely be somewhat bulky -- and again, that assumes that the 4S cradle electronics will work with the 5 at all.

EDIT: Apple's Lightning adapters do not support video, so the above solution I proposed will not work to get the iPhone 5 transmitting video through the 4/4S Media cradle.

Gone but not forgotten:

Last edited by jphughan; 09-17-2012 at 05:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 12:59 AM   #15
SpotM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

I have the iPhone 4S adapter in my car. I got it for the phone clarity (direct link) vs Bluetooth and the ability to use the outside antenna. I've tested it with a variety of calls and it does "seem" clearer.

Also, re the heat, the adapter has a small built in fan in the cradle. I haven't experienced any overheating or heat buildup.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #16
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotM5 View Post
I have the iPhone 4S adapter in my car. I got it for the phone clarity (direct link) vs Bluetooth and the ability to use the outside antenna. I've tested it with a variety of calls and it does "seem" clearer.

Also, re the heat, the adapter has a small built in fan in the cradle. I haven't experienced any overheating or heat buildup.
The phone uses Bluetooth for calls even while it's in the cradle, so any increased phone clarity you're hearing is either due to reception improvements from induction through the baseplate from the external antenna, or it's entirely in your head. Now, MUSIC from the phone benefits tremendously from a wired connection compared to Bluetooth. Bluetooth definitely doesn't sound bad, but on higher-bitrate audio it's definitely not as good as being directly connected.

I've had my phone power off and show a temperature warning on the display even while connected to the fan-equipped cradle. Granted, it was 105 F outside and I had just gotten into my black interior car that had been sitting outside and it was before I had tint, plus I was using it to stream Pandora at the time which seems to warm up the phone in general, but it can happen.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 07:35 AM   #17
hrada2020
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

I bought and just returned the insert. Found out that the insert will not work with an iphone case....thus everytime I wanted to use it I had to take the case off.
HR
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 10:05 AM   #18
vishwen
Private First Class
Mauritius
Rep

Quote:
Thks

Guys please help me for my iphone to play video on my i drive.

some explain to me but cannot get it work.
330i M sport (2001) SOLD
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #19
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Guys please help me for my iphone to play video on my i drive.

some explain to me but cannot get it work.
When you originally asked this question:

Quote:
Thks

...I posted a response DIRECTLY under it, literally 2 minutes later:

Quote:
^ While the phone is in the cradle, go to Multimedia > External Devices and select your phone. Then on the button stack on the left edge where you'd select your music library, skip tracks, etc, you'll see a Videos button. But you have to be using the Media cradle (not Music) and it only works for videos actually stored in your Videos library on the phone, i.e. you can't use it with the YouTube app or any third-party video apps on the phone.

You might also need to have the handbrake on and be in Park (assuming you have DCT).
Did you not see that? If not, or if you need more basic instructions, here goes:

1. Get an iPhone 4 or 4S running iOS 5 or later, and a car with the BMW Apps option.

2. Add some videos to the iPhone via iTunes. Make sure they appear in your phone's Videos app. You can't access videos in third-party apps like YouTube, VLC, etc.

3. Connect the iPhone to your car via the 4/4S MEDIA cradle. The regular Music cradle will not work, nor will the USB cable.

4. Make sure you're stopped with the handbrake on. With DCT you may also need to be in Park, not sure.

5. Go to CD/Multimedia > External devices > Your phone.

6. Over on the left where you see a vertical stack of buttons for track skip, browsing your library, etc, you should see a button that says Videos. Select it.

7. Select a video. Once it starts playing, after a few seconds of no further input, the rest of the iDrive display will fade away to allow fullscreen viewing.

8. Enjoy watching videos for as long as you can stand just sitting in a parked M5 watching videos rather than actually driving or getting out of your car to carry on with your life....

Gone but not forgotten:

Last edited by jphughan; 09-17-2012 at 05:55 PM..
Appreciate 0