BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

01-14-2020, 01:13 AM   #1
F10CPROG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5 Competition

Track Days

Anyone used their M5 on track? How did you find it?

I have a full day session booked in a week or so at Snetterton, one of my favorite tracks locally. I want to explore the "drifting" characteristics in a safe environment, this is the 1st high powered RWD car i have owned and at times i can feel myself holding back to maintain traction at the rear. Hoping a day of fooling around and pushing the limits will boost my on the road confidence.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 02:49 AM   #2
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

Should be a great day, I would use MDM and manual shift if I was you, to turn everything off will be suicide.

Seriously with all TC off you will last about 10 minutes, when they go they really go and unless you are really capable it will be on the grass in the gravel or worse
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 03:45 AM   #3
F10CPROG
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
Should be a great day, I would use MDM and manual shift if I was you, to turn everything off will be suicide.

Seriously with all TC off you will last about 10 minutes, when they go they really go and unless you are really capable it will be on the grass in the gravel or worse
Yeah, i was thinking of starting out in MDM then progressing to fully off... I don't want to eat my rear pads, mines a CP and i read the MDM lets you spin out anyway
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 10:15 AM   #4
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Just go to Merc World in Surrey and wear out an AMG to hone your skills and save your M.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 01:42 AM   #5
F10CPROG
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
Just go to Merc World in Surrey and wear out an AMG to hone your skills and save your M.
Not a bad shout!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 04:44 PM   #6
mb26
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

F10 M5 is a little heavy for track day and a little soft and benign compared to all previous versions. Brakes are a big improvement on previous models and will survive a few laps of abuse - all previous models survived about 4 corners before the pedal disappears

The CP is a big improvement in suspension, steering and noise

Bedford aerodrome the safest place to go first.. and cheap!! But the short radius corners aren’t ideal for huge cars...

Silverstone next best track , but expensive... these were the only laps I did a couple years ago in my standard f10 M5. Took me a couple of laps to figure out how to over come the understeer so you can fast forward to the last few laps for the drifting to start...

Enjoy Snetterton ! It’s the best circuit in the Uk after Silverstone

Last edited by mb26; 01-31-2020 at 12:32 PM..
Appreciate 1
M5Rick59561.00
      01-25-2020, 06:03 PM   #7
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb26 View Post
F10 M5 is a little heavy for track day and a little soft and benign compared to all previous versions. Brakes are a big improvement on previous models and will survive a few laps of abuse - all previous models survived about 4 corners before the pedal disappears

The CP is a big improvement in suspension, steering and noise

Bedford aerodrome the safest place to go first.. and cheap!! But the short radius corners aren’t ideal for huge cars...

Silverstone next best track , but expensive... these were the only laps I did a couple years ago in my standard f10 M5. Took me a couple of laps to figure out how to over come the underwater... so you can fast forward to the last few laps for the drifting to start...

Enjoy Snetterton ! It’s the best circuit in the Uk after Silverstone
Great vid and shows the heavy seats were begging to be removed and replaced with lightweight carbon ones!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 06:17 AM   #8
F10CPROG
Private First Class
Rep

So after a day at Snetterton the car loved it...

Wet sessions until 11am, so was learning how to play with the back end. After lunch the track had dried out and the car transformed, even with barely 3mm left on the front tyres I could lean on the front end nicely, the back breaking away wasn't as progressive as i thought, almost snaps out next to you and you have to be quick to react.

Had 1 hairy moment at 110mph in 4th on the straight. I changed 3rd to 4th and it lit the arse up in MDM mode, nearly poo'd myself as i was overtaking at the time.

Had some great laps with an R8 V10, a track prepped e46 m3 and a host of others. I was eating lotus elises with ease, obviously on the straights but staying with them and most of the caterhams in the bends.

Tyre temps in the wet wouldn't go above 20c, but once dry i saw them at 45/50c most of the afternoon. Breaks moaned afew times, but the pedal never softened althought the discs are rather blue now haha! Charge coolers were cold to touch all day which is a great sign of the cars thermal management capabilities.

To sum up the car is great for track work, i done 7 25/30min sessions and no issues... Just a brilliant day out with other like minded people.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick59561.00
      01-28-2020, 09:23 AM   #9
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10CPROG View Post
So after a day at Snetterton the car loved it...

Wet sessions until 11am, so was learning how to play with the back end. After lunch the track had dried out and the car transformed, even with barely 3mm left on the front tyres I could lean on the front end nicely, the back breaking away wasn't as progressive as i thought, almost snaps out next to you and you have to be quick to react.

Had 1 hairy moment at 110mph in 4th on the straight. I changed 3rd to 4th and it lit the arse up in MDM mode, nearly poo'd myself as i was overtaking at the time.

Had some great laps with an R8 V10, a track prepped e46 m3 and a host of others. I was eating lotus elises with ease, obviously on the straights but staying with them and most of the caterhams in the bends.

Tyre temps in the wet wouldn't go above 20c, but once dry i saw them at 45/50c most of the afternoon. Breaks moaned afew times, but the pedal never softened althought the discs are rather blue now haha! Charge coolers were cold to touch all day which is a great sign of the cars thermal management capabilities.

To sum up the car is great for track work, i done 7 25/30min sessions and no issues... Just a brilliant day out with other like minded people.
Glad you enjoyed yourself and the M5 was a good experience on that track.
Did you try some laps with MDM off after that 'catch'.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 03:17 AM   #10
F10CPROG
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Glad you enjoyed yourself and the M5 was a good experience on that track.
Did you try some laps with MDM off after that 'catch'.
I had set the m2 up so MDM was on, i would disable it manually for most of the track where i was happy to slide the car then on the straight i kept MDM on for the morning sessions whilst the track was wet - didn't fancy sideways at 100mph+

After lunch as the track dried out MDM went off for a session, thats when i realised how quick you need to be to react when the back breaks away.

Following/watching a couple caterhams and the e46 they were constantly changing steering inputs to keep the back in line in the wet, they were almost 50% opposite lock when cornering i would guess. The m5 was alot more composed than that but not as progressive as the long wheelbase would have you believe.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 12:31 PM   #11
mb26
United Kingdom
Rep

Glad you enjoyed it!
Wet weather eases wear and tear on the car!
Any video ?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 12:34 PM   #12
mb26
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Great vid and shows the heavy seats were begging to be removed and replaced with lightweight carbon ones!
🤣 suppose that would be a start!!

Shows how quiet the standard car is... you can hear radio 4 (my helmet meant I couldn’t hear it was still on)
Appreciate 1
M5Rick59561.00