Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

12-07-2019, 10:37 AM   #23
wallyman424
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by technician117 View Post
This is incorrect. The DME's and intercoolers are on their own separate system that runs at a lower temperature than the engine and turbos. It's true that the turbos have a cooling circuit, but it's run from the same system and reservoir as the main engine. The confusion comes because the turbo coolant system is run by an electric pump after the engine shuts down. People think this is a separate system but it's actually drawing engine coolant to run it. I just reviewed the technical data so please don't argue.

The S63TU technical data document is posted on this website, I don't have the link handy (I have the document on my computer now). They actually do a good job with pictures and diagrams separating out the different systems.

Summary:
DME's and intercoolers have their own (2) electric waterpumps and a reservoir in the middle/top of the engine. This system does not utilize a low coolant sensor in the reservoir, but the pumps will shut down and store a code and display a message if they sense they are pumping air.

The engine and turbos run from a separate system utilizing a mechanical pump AND electric pump (to continue cooling the turbos after shutdown). They run off of the reservoir located near the firewall. This tank does have a coolant level sensor.
That is interesting.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 11:47 PM   #24
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

tryit out and let us know how it works out

Country run
Appreciate 1
JW_ATL345.50
      01-04-2020, 03:37 PM   #25
thef10m5
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F10 M5

Pretty late to this thread but adding my personal experience for reference. About a month ago I got a low coolant warning on my dash ('14 F10 M5) & called my mechanic. About 5 months prior I had installed downpipes and a BM3 tune to my midpipes & exhaust system so the car had been running harder for that period. He warned me to add coolant ASAP and do not drive the car. I learned then that the car has 2 separate coolant reservoirs - one for the motor & another for the turbo lines. My motor coolant levels were normal but the turbo line levels were very low. Picked up a gallon of the Peak branded coolant at a local Autozone & had to add roughly 16 ounces of it to the turbo lines reservoir. Upon subsequent service for oil-change & brake fluid replacement it was also discovered that my left charge pipe had cracked and was leaking. I removed the downpipes & the tune, replaced the charge pipe & car has been running fine since.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 06:01 PM   #26
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.b View Post
I am hoping one of you know definitively one way or the other on this - I've asked a few people who should know but still need more evidence.

2014 M5 in Atlanta, GA in September - If the engine coolant was completely empty, under normal driving conditions on a hot day - how far do you think it would get?

1 mile? 5 miles? 10 miles? 20?

again, very serious question with alot riding on the answer. I will explain at a later date.

Thanks
Serious variable- is the motor to temp or cold? if cold itd go 10 miles maybe. if to temp and no coolant. 1-2 miles and get ready to pay
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 03:25 PM   #27
d.b
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Motor was cold when started, ambient temp in the 90s parked outside.
Appreciate 0