MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
The F10 M5 review

I've loved the F10 M5 from afar, always looking to try one, but never working out.

But I found one to review a few weeks ago! I had a 528 a few years back and the F10 was always a looker, but now I see shades of G80 M3 here.

https://machineswithsouls.com/2022/1...f10-m5-review/
Attached Images

M5Rick60016.50
co_pa223.00
Beast27358.00
fstm5145.50
MarcF10135.00
BMWM5NYC496.00
      11-22-2022, 10:03 AM   #2
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinesWithSouls View Post
I've loved the F10 M5 from afar, always looking to try one, but never working out.

But I found one to review a few weeks ago! I had a 528 a few years back and the F10 was always a looker, but now I see shades of G80 M3 here.

https://machineswithsouls.com/2022/1...f10-m5-review/
Great review there!
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2022, 10:58 AM   #3
co_pa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 m340ix

First and foremost, I subscribe to and enjoy your blog immensely. E.G., I have grown to trust your take on our beloved ///Ms and the competitive set.

Maybe that bias, coupled with the bias that I have grown to favor the F10 M5 as my favorite BMW I've owned - based on my age and need for function, refinement, blah blah - has me agreeing with your take almost unanimously.

For me, coming to the F10 M5 Base from an F80 ZCP, upping the performance ante and taking out any snooze factor was as easy as adding Dinan Sways and Coilovers, a mild stage 1 tune and some visual goodies (like the obvious LED interior lights) and enjoying the shit out of it.

I've had it for 2+ years and have thought of selling it recently only to get back behind the wheel for a spirited drive to change my mind. I am going through a round of de-contenting the carbon fiber stuff and adding in an Apple CarPlay MMI box. Then, as it has been, it's a steady diet of maintenance, paint detailing and driving it.

All that to say. Great review and I'm going for a drive.
      11-22-2022, 11:46 AM   #4
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by co_pa View Post
First and foremost, I subscribe to and enjoy your blog immensely. E.G., I have grown to trust your take on our beloved ///Ms and the competitive set.

Maybe that bias, coupled with the bias that I have grown to favor the F10 M5 as my favorite BMW I've owned - based on my age and need for function, refinement, blah blah - has me agreeing with your take almost unanimously.

For me, coming to the F10 M5 Base from an F80 ZCP, upping the performance ante and taking out any snooze factor was as easy as adding Dinan Sways and Coilovers, a mild stage 1 tune and some visual goodies (like the obvious LED interior lights) and enjoying the shit out of it.

I've had it for 2+ years and have thought of selling it recently only to get back behind the wheel for a spirited drive to change my mind. I am going through a round of de-contenting the carbon fiber stuff and adding in an Apple CarPlay MMI box. Then, as it has been, it's a steady diet of maintenance, paint detailing and driving it.

All that to say. Great review and I'm going for a drive.
Thank you! Enjoy it!

This is on the short list of used cars I'd pick up. Still looks so good too!
      11-23-2022, 12:31 AM   #5
NotSooFast
On the Go!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Just a few!

Good review..

Your "soul" score may be at least 2 notches higher. And I do drive a 6-speed, but still..
      11-23-2022, 08:06 AM   #6
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by co_pa View Post
My experience has been similar. I didn't add a tune, but the KW V3s and Dinan sways completely changed it for me. And as it's my (summer) DD, I've come to really appreciate how versatile it is. I can blast around the back roads, have fun on a track, and drive my family 4.5hrs up north comfortably with the same car.

If I was just buying a weekend car I'd have gotten something else, perhaps an E63 M6 with a manual swap or a GT350, but given my needs there's really no competition.
      11-23-2022, 09:15 PM   #7
Jus.Static
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Garage List
2016 BMW M5  [9.33]
Another good writeup, keep it up 👏!!
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2022, 02:42 PM   #8
MarcF10
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
Lovely review, easy to read and digest and very well presented in sections and scoring.
I would also like to add that your photographs are beautiful, you have added some intensity and drama in the background but also a cheeky and subtle sense of humour when you placed the car at the marina. Perhaps you wanted to hint the car is the size of boat just kidding.
Personally I find this car very underrated and weirdly so. BMW does not seem to be very proud of it. I have not driven any other M car and truly not interested. This is a good car, powerful but what really stands out for me is the solidly built chassis and the confidence you feel whenever you drive it.
They built it quite plush, hiding the beast under layers of fat. It's up to the enthusiast to wake the beast up, let it breathe, add some upgrades that offer sharper braking and handling. Everything is right there. The foundation is amazing. But details are not so great.
The interior is boring and no character. It's basic. Even for the time it was initially launched. The trim, the seats, the lights - they are aiming at the naughty German doctor, not the enthusiast.
The exterior is simply awesome - hands down. Better than the boaty and too much plasticky G90. Has some elements of vintage and I love it. Flowing. I am not a fan of angles anyway.
Brakes are not great. I would have expected more accuracy. They do work well but they need to be brought in temperature (if i said in heat i would be describing a dog ) . In low speeds they simply function.
Gearbox and transmission can do with a tune. Personally I am very happy with DCT.
The motor has a frightrain pull. Gives you a rightfully erection of the...spirit and if you untap intakes, exhaust etc you really want to...come...to your senses It's really impossible to resist the temptation to tune this motor. There's 100 more HP right there waiting for you...easy peasy
Last but not least. It's a real car. By real car I mean a rear wheel drive.
X drives and 4X4s are an overkill. This is not an offroad car. Jesus people are getting so weird these days with "safety". If you want safety, learn how to drive fast, break correctly, steer with confidence and don't drive under the influence. The rest is (pardon me) just s***t.
You said it - all legends are rear wheel drive. This car is the last of the mohicans. And you can get it cheap because THANK GOD people cannot appreciate good cars. They only do trendy and sexy cars.
What you need people is raw power and relentless torque. This is the best therapy. Step on the pedal, fire and forget. Rocket.
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2022, 03:32 PM   #9
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcF10 View Post
Lovely review, easy to read and digest and very well presented in sections and scoring.
I would also like to add that your photographs are beautiful, you have added some intensity and drama in the background but also a cheeky and subtle sense of humour when you placed the car at the marina. Perhaps you wanted to hint the car is the size of boat just kidding.
Personally I find this car very underrated and weirdly so. BMW does not seem to be very proud of it. I have not driven any other M car and truly not interested. This is a good car, powerful but what really stands out for me is the solidly built chassis and the confidence you feel whenever you drive it.
They built it quite plush, hiding the beast under layers of fat. It's up to the enthusiast to wake the beast up, let it breathe, add some upgrades that offer sharper braking and handling. Everything is right there. The foundation is amazing. But details are not so great.
The interior is boring and no character. It's basic. Even for the time it was initially launched. The trim, the seats, the lights - they are aiming at the naughty German doctor, not the enthusiast.
The exterior is simply awesome - hands down. Better than the boaty and too much plasticky G90. Has some elements of vintage and I love it. Flowing. I am not a fan of angles anyway.
Brakes are not great. I would have expected more accuracy. They do work well but they need to be brought in temperature (if i said in heat i would be describing a dog ) . In low speeds they simply function.
Gearbox and transmission can do with a tune. Personally I am very happy with DCT.
The motor has a frightrain pull. Gives you a rightfully erection of the...spirit and if you untap intakes, exhaust etc you really want to...come...to your senses It's really impossible to resist the temptation to tune this motor. There's 100 more HP right there waiting for you...easy peasy
Last but not least. It's a real car. By real car I mean a rear wheel drive.
X drives and 4X4s are an overkill. This is not an offroad car. Jesus people are getting so weird these days with "safety". If you want safety, learn how to drive fast, break correctly, steer with confidence and don't drive under the influence. The rest is (pardon me) just s***t.
You said it - all legends are rear wheel drive. This car is the last of the mohicans. And you can get it cheap because THANK GOD people cannot appreciate good cars. They only do trendy and sexy cars.
What you need people is raw power and relentless torque. This is the best therapy. Step on the pedal, fire and forget. Rocket.
Thank you! I do love the F10. I hope I can drive a stick version one day.
Closed Thread