M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Sports Lounge

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-14-2022, 08:33 AM   #1
joao.toscano
Captain
joao.toscano's Avatar
Netherlands
1242
Rep
911
Posts

Drives: BMW M140i
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Amsterdam

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Arrow What is your worst Football memory?

I thought about starting this topic as yesterday defeat of my favorite football club that is Futebol Clube do Porto, commonly known as FC Porto or simply Porto.

Yesterday during the 2nd round of the 2022/23 UEFA Champions League we lost for the first time in the club history (with total undefeated score of in 8 games - 6 wins and 2 draws with Belgian teams) a lost of 0-4 against Club Brugges. Well deserved lost but hard to digest. I can hardly think of such shame result regardless of the context of competition and team we're playing.

__________________
....Life is too short to drive boring cars
BMW M140i STG.1 MHD/ BMW 120i E81 - UA71 gone

HGT'2022 |
M&M-PerformanceCC
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 08:53 AM   #2
TTM0TION
Private First Class
United_States
251
Rep
181
Posts

Drives: 2018 Grigio Telesto ZCP
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: LI, New York

iTrader: (0)

Stevie G's infamous "slip" was a pretty bad day.
__________________
Brandon
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2022, 09:40 AM   #3
joao.toscano
Captain
joao.toscano's Avatar
Netherlands
1242
Rep
911
Posts

Drives: BMW M140i
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Amsterdam

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTM0TION View Post
Stevie G's infamous "slip" was a pretty bad day.
Are you meaning this ....

__________________
....Life is too short to drive boring cars
BMW M140i STG.1 MHD/ BMW 120i E81 - UA71 gone

HGT'2022 |
M&M-PerformanceCC
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 09:52 AM   #4
///mawana
Lieutenant
///mawana's Avatar
Zimbabwe
79
Rep
563
Posts

Drives: e90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Prosper, TX

iTrader: (0)

I have many but for starts: Zidane's head-butt on Materazzi! I had money on that game.
__________________
2015 K46 S1KRR
2008 E90 M3
Appreciate 2
      09-14-2022, 09:56 AM   #5
TTM0TION
Private First Class
United_States
251
Rep
181
Posts

Drives: 2018 Grigio Telesto ZCP
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: LI, New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joao.toscano View Post
Are you meaning this ....

yes. dick. LOLOLOL!
__________________
Brandon
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2022, 01:26 PM   #6
joao.toscano
Captain
joao.toscano's Avatar
Netherlands
1242
Rep
911
Posts

Drives: BMW M140i
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Amsterdam

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///mawana View Post
I have many but for starts: Zidane's head-butt on Materazzi! I had money on that game.
Oh yeah! That will remain in the history for sure!

__________________
....Life is too short to drive boring cars
BMW M140i STG.1 MHD/ BMW 120i E81 - UA71 gone

HGT'2022 |
M&M-PerformanceCC
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 09:21 PM   #7
KevinC
your average JAMF
KevinC's Avatar
United_States
4347
Rep
3,658
Posts

Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cochise County, AZ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Switching gears to the "other" football..

My worst memory was attending the infamous Stanford/Cal game in 1982, decided by a late touchdown after the kick returner ran over a trombone player in the end zone. I grew up right next to Stanford campus and was a massive football & basketball fan. Really pissed that I don't have the ticket stub!

__________________
'21 M2 Comp
'19 Golf R
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2022, 09:01 AM   #8
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
vreihen16's Avatar
Ukraine
10913
Rep
788
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Orange County, NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List




.
__________________
2015 BMW i3 BEV, Giga World (Lodge interior), Tech/Driving Assist Packages, 22K miles
Appreciate 2
      09-15-2022, 04:29 PM   #9
joao.toscano
Captain
joao.toscano's Avatar
Netherlands
1242
Rep
911
Posts

Drives: BMW M140i
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Amsterdam

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Switching gears to the "other" football..

My worst memory was attending the infamous Stanford/Cal game in 1982, decided by a late touchdown after the kick returner ran over a trombone player in the end zone. I grew up right next to Stanford campus and was a massive football & basketball fan. Really pissed that I don't have the ticket stub!

Epic!! The commentator says everything! Absolutely stunning! Thanks for sahring this wonderful moment
__________________
....Life is too short to drive boring cars
BMW M140i STG.1 MHD/ BMW 120i E81 - UA71 gone

HGT'2022 |
M&M-PerformanceCC
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2022, 04:31 PM   #10
joao.toscano
Captain
joao.toscano's Avatar
Netherlands
1242
Rep
911
Posts

Drives: BMW M140i
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Amsterdam

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post




.
oh man ..... it looks easy but it's not right?
__________________
....Life is too short to drive boring cars
BMW M140i STG.1 MHD/ BMW 120i E81 - UA71 gone

HGT'2022 |
M&M-PerformanceCC
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2022, 05:01 PM   #11
JMcLellan
Second Lieutenant
JMcLellan's Avatar
United_States
607
Rep
296
Posts

Drives: BMW M240i
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: MN

iTrader: (0)

I'm going to experience PTSD as I recall my worst football (american football) memories....you will notice a theme here: Vikings losing in the NFC Championship

1. 1998 NFC Championship between the Vikings and Falcons-- Gary Anderson misses a field goal from 39 yards and he had not missed a field goal in 2 full seasons. The Falcons tie the game on their next possession, then the Vikes decide to kneel and run out the clock with 50 seconds left to send the game to overtime where they lose.
2. 2009 NFC Championship game between the Vikings and the Saints-- during our final drive in regulation where the game was tied, Brett Favre threw an interception while the Vikes were pretty much in range for a long field goal-- the game ended up going to overtime where the Saints won
3. 2001 NFC Championship game between the Vikings and Giants-- got smoked 41 to 0
4. 2017 NFC Championship game between the Vikings and Eagles-- Eagles won 38 to 7-- this is coming a week later after the Minneapolis miracle TD to Stefon Diggs. We then had to watch the Eagles win the superbowl in our home stadium

If my dad were to respond to this post his 1 through 4 would be the Vikings 4 superbowl losses in the 70's before my time.
__________________
2019 M240i RWD-- MHD Stage 2+, XHP Stage 3, TU HPFP, VRSF DP, CTS chargepipe, M Perf Exhaust, M Perf LSD, Apex EC-7 wrapped in PS4's
Appreciate 2
vreihen1610912.50
      09-15-2022, 05:30 PM   #12
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
vreihen16's Avatar
Ukraine
10913
Rep
788
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Orange County, NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by joao.toscano View Post
oh man ..... it looks easy but it's not right?
No, it's WIDE RIGHT! Those two words haunt Buffalo Bills fans to this day. It is often cited as the worst choke in NFL history.

This was the first Superbowl loss of four straight for the Bills, tainting the legacy of the most dominant NFL team of the 1990's...and haunting their fan base for three decades now.

They lost another heartbreaker game in the 1999 playoffs to the Tennessee Titans that Titans fans call the Music City Miracle, where the Bills snatched defeat from the jaws of victory when the Titans made a miracle play to score and win the game as the clock ran out.....
__________________
2015 BMW i3 BEV, Giga World (Lodge interior), Tech/Driving Assist Packages, 22K miles
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2022, 06:16 PM   #13
Mason Hatcher
Lieutenant
United_States
806
Rep
512
Posts

Drives: BMW 230i
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: FW-TX

iTrader: (0)

Jerry Jones firing Tom Landry. Fuck Jerry Jones
Appreciate 2
      09-16-2022, 12:54 AM   #14
tranquility
sportscars only
tranquility's Avatar
Canada
2181
Rep
2,761
Posts

Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montréal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
No, it's WIDE RIGHT! Those two words haunt Buffalo Bills fans to this day. It is often cited as the worst choke in NFL history.

This was the first Superbowl loss of four straight for the Bills, tainting the legacy of the most dominant NFL team of the 1990's...and haunting their fan base for three decades now.

They lost another heartbreaker game in the 1999 playoffs to the Tennessee Titans that Titans fans call the Music City Miracle, where the Bills snatched defeat from the jaws of victory when the Titans made a miracle play to score and win the game as the clock ran out.....
Oh man, I'm not even remotely from Buffalo and it hurts, and that leading to 4 freaking straight SB losses, boy do the Football Gods not like you guys!

Was it really a choke though, and who exactly? I definitely don't fault the poor kicker. Man... They even made a movie about it, one of my faves, Buffalo '66.

That's probably the reason I'm a honorary Bills fan. They gotta win one. Josh Allen's the real deal, almost had it last yr if their D didn't crap the bed. Their 1st game was a statement, even w all the kinks they destroyed the champs. GL this season.
__________________
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 1
vreihen1610912.50
      09-16-2022, 05:26 AM   #15
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
vreihen16's Avatar
Ukraine
10913
Rep
788
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Orange County, NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Oh man, I'm not even remotely from Buffalo and it hurts, and that leading to 4 freaking straight SB losses, boy do the Football Gods not like you guys!
It comes with the team when you're a fan. I spent a lot of my childhood living a mile from the stadium, and my school bus used to pass it every day. As an adult, I used to be a season ticket holder and drive the 400 miles each way to attend games.

Quote:
Was it really a choke though, and who exactly? I definitely don't fault the poor kicker. Man... They even made a movie about it, one of my faves, Buffalo '66.
Scott Norwood was the kicker. Buffalo threw a huge party for the team after the loss, and Norwood received nothing but praise and support from the fans and team. The Bills Mafia is forgiving.

The movie was really "Ace Ventura, Pet Detective," but they substituted Dan Marino as the holder and the Miami Dolphins (the biggest Bills rival at the time).

Quote:
That's probably the reason I'm a honorary Bills fan. They gotta win one. Josh Allen's the real deal, almost had it last yr if their D didn't crap the bed. Their 1st game was a statement, even w all the kinks they destroyed the champs. GL this season.
The Bills were the betting favorite to win the Superbowl this year as the season started. It would be sweet for them to win it while Marv Levy is still alive (head coach for the SB losses and now 97 years old), just so that he can see the trophy finally come to Buffalo.....
__________________
2015 BMW i3 BEV, Giga World (Lodge interior), Tech/Driving Assist Packages, 22K miles
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2022, 10:17 AM   #16
joao.toscano
Captain
joao.toscano's Avatar
Netherlands
1242
Rep
911
Posts

Drives: BMW M140i
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Amsterdam

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLellan View Post
I'm going to experience PTSD as I recall my worst football (american football) memories....you will notice a theme here: Vikings losing in the NFC Championship

1. 1998 NFC Championship between the Vikings and Falcons-- Gary Anderson misses a field goal from 39 yards and he had not missed a field goal in 2 full seasons. The Falcons tie the game on their next possession, then the Vikes decide to kneel and run out the clock with 50 seconds left to send the game to overtime where they lose.
2. 2009 NFC Championship game between the Vikings and the Saints-- during our final drive in regulation where the game was tied, Brett Favre threw an interception while the Vikes were pretty much in range for a long field goal-- the game ended up going to overtime where the Saints won
3. 2001 NFC Championship game between the Vikings and Giants-- got smoked 41 to 0
4. 2017 NFC Championship game between the Vikings and Eagles-- Eagles won 38 to 7-- this is coming a week later after the Minneapolis miracle TD to Stefon Diggs. We then had to watch the Eagles win the superbowl in our home stadium

If my dad were to respond to this post his 1 through 4 would be the Vikings 4 superbowl losses in the 70's before my time.
Wow! Thanks for sharing this! I really appreciate as this is history made.

But still Vikings on the go regardless of what!
__________________
....Life is too short to drive boring cars
BMW M140i STG.1 MHD/ BMW 120i E81 - UA71 gone

HGT'2022 |
M&M-PerformanceCC
Appreciate 1
JMcLellan606.50
      09-16-2022, 10:21 AM   #17
joao.toscano
Captain
joao.toscano's Avatar
Netherlands
1242
Rep
911
Posts

Drives: BMW M140i
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Amsterdam

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
No, it's WIDE RIGHT! Those two words haunt Buffalo Bills fans to this day. It is often cited as the worst choke in NFL history.

This was the first Superbowl loss of four straight for the Bills, tainting the legacy of the most dominant NFL team of the 1990's...and haunting their fan base for three decades now.

They lost another heartbreaker game in the 1999 playoffs to the Tennessee Titans that Titans fans call the Music City Miracle, where the Bills snatched defeat from the jaws of victory when the Titans made a miracle play to score and win the game as the clock ran out.....
Wow! It's amazing how you can describe - i guess general speaking when it comes to American football - how intuitive and involving matches are and their matches can remain in the history. That also comes with soccer - let me call it like that. There's moments that remain for the eternity. In the end those guys just make our days be better or not right! We can't all be happy because of sports results. Anyway nice to read from you. Thank you!
__________________
....Life is too short to drive boring cars
BMW M140i STG.1 MHD/ BMW 120i E81 - UA71 gone

HGT'2022 |
M&M-PerformanceCC
Appreciate 1
vreihen1610912.50
      09-16-2022, 10:22 AM   #18
joao.toscano
Captain
joao.toscano's Avatar
Netherlands
1242
Rep
911
Posts

Drives: BMW M140i
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Amsterdam

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher View Post
Jerry Jones firing Tom Landry. Fuck Jerry Jones
Was this about? Jerry Jones firing Tom Landry. Fuck Jerry Jones
__________________
....Life is too short to drive boring cars
BMW M140i STG.1 MHD/ BMW 120i E81 - UA71 gone

HGT'2022 |
M&M-PerformanceCC
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2022, 10:45 AM   #19
JMcLellan
Second Lieutenant
JMcLellan's Avatar
United_States
607
Rep
296
Posts

Drives: BMW M240i
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: MN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher View Post
Jerry Jones firing Tom Landry. Fuck Jerry Jones
Yep, Jerry needs to go. He is holding them back big time.
__________________
2019 M240i RWD-- MHD Stage 2+, XHP Stage 3, TU HPFP, VRSF DP, CTS chargepipe, M Perf Exhaust, M Perf LSD, Apex EC-7 wrapped in PS4's
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2022, 05:26 PM   #20
tranquility
sportscars only
tranquility's Avatar
Canada
2181
Rep
2,761
Posts

Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montréal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
It comes with the team when you're a fan. I spent a lot of my childhood living a mile from the stadium, and my school bus used to pass it every day. As an adult, I used to be a season ticket holder and drive the 400 miles each way to attend games.



Scott Norwood was the kicker. Buffalo threw a huge party for the team after the loss, and Norwood received nothing but praise and support from the fans and team. The Bills Mafia is forgiving.

The movie was really "Ace Ventura, Pet Detective," but they substituted Dan Marino as the holder and the Miami Dolphins (the biggest Bills rival at the time).



The Bills were the betting favorite to win the Superbowl this year as the season started. It would be sweet for them to win it while Marv Levy is still alive (head coach for the SB losses and now 97 years old), just so that he can see the trophy finally come to Buffalo.....
Ya, out of that tragedy some pretty good movies were made loosely based on it. I don't think Buffalo ever had any sports successes (pls correct me if I'm wrong) so that 4 straight was pretty brutal.

Didn't know that about Levy, ya, go win one for the dude. Wow, they are rated as the best? Ok, fingers crossed.


Anyway, speaking of US football tragedies....any Falcons fans in here?
__________________
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2022, 06:59 PM   #21
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
vreihen16's Avatar
Ukraine
10913
Rep
788
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Orange County, NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
I don't think Buffalo ever had any sports successes (pls correct me if I'm wrong) so that 4 straight was pretty brutal.
The Buffalo Sabres (NHL hockey) are 0-2 in the Stanley Cup.

The Bills actually won the AFL Championship before the merger, and only a loss to Kansas City stopped them from advancing to SuperBowl I. Otherwise, it is a dismal professional sports town.

If you were wondering why the Bills Mafia (rabid fans) breaks tables and do all kinds of other crazy things while tailgating outside the stadium before every game, its because you really have to live a life of abuse to be a Bills fan.....
__________________
2015 BMW i3 BEV, Giga World (Lodge interior), Tech/Driving Assist Packages, 22K miles
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2022, 11:47 PM   #22
Tuxedo
Bowties r cool ▶:◀
Tuxedo's Avatar
United_States
1187
Rep
749
Posts

Drives: 09' 128i MT e88, 22' G05 X5
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
The Buffalo Sabres (NHL hockey) are 0-2 in the Stanley Cup.
it was a legit goal, cept that year...
Appreciate 1
vreihen1610912.50
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 AM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST