M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding

08-24-2018, 09:08 PM   #1
Vancouver_M440
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 M5 Sedan

Did I just screw up my ECUs or is the Vgate broken?

So after getting my car back from the dealer today to fix my DT Mal, I decided to try to continue coding my car using Bimmercode and my Vgate. I plugged it and started to change the settings for the ASD. I left the engine running and hit code. While writing the code, it hits an error and after that multiple ECUs no longer read. I tried restarting the app, my phone, and the car but the ASD ECU doesn't even show up anymore. Worse yet, about 3 to 4 ECUs are now not readible and some of the ones that are green fail when I try to read them. From what I can tell my previous coding still works and my ASD sounds like it's still functional but I am afraid it's busted. Is my Vgate busted or my ECUs messed up? My Vgate is only a week or so old.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 03:33 PM   #2
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

You are not meant to code the car with the engine running, I don't think it would damage the ECUs though.

Can you load the back up files and see if that fixes it.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 02:06 AM   #3
Vancouver_M440
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I dunno. It seems all manner of messed up. I did code before with engine running because I was afraid of the power shutting down in the middle of a write. Ignition has to be on anyway so I don't see how it would be different if the engine was running vs just ignition on. But maybe u are right. Anyone had this happen?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 01:15 PM   #4
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

Having the engine running is a lot different to just having the ignition switched on. When running, the ECUs are controlling the engine and therefore cannot be reset as required for any coding to take place. As suggested you could try loading backup files. You could also try disconnecting the battery for a short time so that all ECUs are be woken up again.

Sometimes when i code my car I notice that the head unit ecu does not show and i have to reconnect, sometimes more than once for it to show up.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 01:57 AM   #5
Vancouver_M440
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Doesn't disconnecting the battery cause issues with a bunch of stuff? I'm not worried about stuff like radio presets but other systems? Is it ok?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 04:05 PM   #6
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_M5 View Post
Doesn't disconnecting the battery cause issues with a bunch of stuff? I'm not worried about stuff like radio presets but other systems? Is it ok?
It only affects the time, if i remember correctly you don't even have to set the date.

You will not cause any problems disconnecting your battery.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 02:57 AM   #7
Vancouver_M440
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Luckily the situation resolved itself. I gave it another shot and everything was back to normal. All the ecus work with the exception of the HKLM for the trunk but that never read the first time.
Appreciate 1
OneExtra809.50
      09-21-2018, 11:38 AM   #8
Bobby_Drake
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 X5M

I coded my M6 GC with engine running no problems; and now my F85 X5M with engine running as well - no issues.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 12:10 AM   #9
Vancouver_M440
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

So just in case someone else has this problem, I thought I would follow up with the conclusion to my thread. I recently tried to code using the Vgate and Bimmercode again and everything was normal. There was an updated for Bimmercode in the interim and something musta changed because now I could also read the trunk ECU and set the option to close via button and fob.

Bimmercode actually replied back to me some time ago as well, maybe 1 month or so after my initial email and assured me that no damage was done and that I just had to wait a while for everything to reset.
Appreciate 0