M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding

11-24-2022, 03:16 PM   #1
MarcF10
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
KAFAS or dashcam

Hi folks,

I do have the KAFAS2 camera on my LCI M5 - however not every option activated. I believe I do have the high beam assistant and the speed limit. Nothing else (like lane departure, front colision warning, etc)

I am trying to figure out if the existing hardware can be coded to enable these extra features. I was not able to find conclusive information.

On the other hand, I am planning to upgrade my current dashcam with a newer model that comes with an external GPS adapter. This newer dashcam (Thinkware 200pro) with the GPS dongle offers an Advanced Driver Assistance System with all the functions I am missing on KAFAS2.

The cost for the dashcam + GPS is £150 roughly. And I can use the existing hard wired kit already fitted on my windscreen.

So what do I do?

Carry on my investigation on how to enable the KAFAS2 hidden features (if this can be done by coding)

OR simply buy the dashcam with the GPS and get it done with?

The only reason I have this dilemma is because I hate to wasting a good solid BMW hardware (KAFAS2) and kind of "go around it" by upgrading my dash cam in order to get some extras. That's all.

Thank you
Appreciate 0