BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

08-20-2020, 04:18 AM   #1
ianm5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

2020 Warranty

Sorry if there are groans but it comes up all the time so I thought it would be useful to update the warranty detail and cost.

The warranty handbook is attached.

These are actuals using my own car, these figures are for continuation of a BMW warranty with FBMWSH. Starting a warranty a new warranty may cost more :

Add 20% if you pay monthly
Deduct about £90 if you don't take the roadside assistance

Price (Price in brackets is with 250 excess)

Under 60k miles:

Comp 1392 (875)
Named 1117 (748)
Driveline 864 (601)

Over 60k miles (I used 60100 in the browser) (put yr seatbelt on):

Comp 3394 (1982)
Named 1117 (748)
Driveline 864 (601)

If there is a discrepancy its probably £90 where I didn't toggle 'do you wish to include roadside' to 'on'.

My observations of the T&C is that a lot of the covered components of my car are subject to their wear and tear clause so the compo cover is worth it (If you have the Comprehensive level of cover however, we have included all insured components even if the failure is due to normal degradation (wear and tear) up to 100,000 miles from the date of registration).

I've whinged about the warranty in the past but I've made peace with myself by dividing the warranty price by the BHP. On that basis it's good value. The excess irritated me last year, it only takes 2 claims for it to be a poor choice.

If I had any doubt about renewing, the fact the BMW actuaries seem to imply statistically that stuff worth 2 grand is going to fail beyond 60k miles is convincing.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf __PDF_4102BMW 0220.pdf (347.7 KB, 244 views)
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 01:39 PM   #2
J11SEK
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianm5 View Post
Sorry if there are groans but it comes up all the time so I thought it would be useful to update the warranty detail and cost.

The warranty handbook is attached.

These are actuals using my own car, these figures are for continuation of a BMW warranty with FBMWSH. Starting a warranty a new warranty may cost more :

Add 20% if you pay monthly
Deduct about £90 if you don't take the roadside assistance

Price (Price in brackets is with 250 excess)

Under 60k miles:

Comp 1392 (875)
Named 1117 (748)
Driveline 864 (601)

Over 60k miles (I used 60100 in the browser) (put yr seatbelt on):

Comp 3394 (1982)
Named 1117 (748)
Driveline 864 (601)

If there is a discrepancy its probably £90 where I didn't toggle 'do you wish to include roadside' to 'on'.

My observations of the T&C is that a lot of the covered components of my car are subject to their wear and tear clause so the compo cover is worth it (If you have the Comprehensive level of cover however, we have included all insured components even if the failure is due to normal degradation (wear and tear) up to 100,000 miles from the date of registration).

I've whinged about the warranty in the past but I've made peace with myself by dividing the warranty price by the BHP. On that basis it's good value. The excess irritated me last year, it only takes 2 claims for it to be a poor choice.

If I had any doubt about renewing, the fact the BMW actuaries seem to imply statistically that stuff worth 2 grand is going to fail beyond 60k miles is convincing.
Is your car tuned in anyway?? If so BMW now have a way or seeing this (even if a map is returned to stock) which will void ANY warranty as they now claim any tune can/will cause damage which they are not prepared to cover.......

So basically ANY M5 that has had any tune will be completely void of any warranty if BMW are involved...... :
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 12:25 AM   #3
ianm5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

No...I have enough snags with traction anyway.

There are plenty of get-outs in the warranty document but I suppose it’s not worth their while to risk the credibility of the ‘comprehensive’ warranty on forums like this.

I accidentally nudged into manual and over-revved for a second the other day. I’ve read in a different forum that someone did that in a 911 turbo and Porsche fought them when the engine later failed after looking at logs..

Those of us wth pre-LCI cars are probably entering the uncharted territory in terms of the longevity of the F10 platform and the M5 parts. I’m guessing that some critical part or repair will emerge as being the ‘f10 m5’ thing in the same way E92 M3’s have their rod bearings and E60 M5s have ‘everything forward of the steering wheel’
Appreciate 1
J11SEK268.00