Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

09-23-2019, 07:38 PM   #67
SapphireM5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Sapphire Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoogene View Post
Would you say that it is more usable power in the upper RPMs? As soon as the boost kicks in for me, i can feel the rear end get squirrely and traction control kicks in. I really want to take this thing on a track day event, as I'm sure i would learn a ton more about the driving dynamics of this car vice the street pulls I've been doing.

I'm not trying to argue that a stage 1 upgrade is a waste of money, but rather, amazed that people have become "used to" 500+ HP/TQ. I know we're all on a forum about modding cars to our individual specs, so i have nothing but respect for all of you who are out there pushing boundaries of the platform!
The car all around just feels much better. Can you floor it and get traction, no. But accelerating getting on it, the power feels so smooth and it feels like it can pull to the moon. I roll on it and can get it without spinning. On the highway at 60mph. I can roll on it pretty good and she just pulls. If its a waste of money, that will be up to you to decide. I love me stage 1
'13 Black Sapphire Metallic - BPM Stage 1 Tune - RPI Exhaust - KW HAS Kit - 12mm spacers all around- Carbon Fiber front lip - High Kick Trunk Spoiler - Rear Roof Spoiler - IND Kidney and Fender Grills - 20% Tint all around 50% Front Windshield - PPF
Appreciate 1
yoogene90.00
      09-23-2019, 09:02 PM   #68
yoogene
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireM5 View Post
The car all around just feels much better. Can you floor it and get traction, no. But accelerating getting on it, the power feels so smooth and it feels like it can pull to the moon. I roll on it and can get it without spinning. On the highway at 60mph. I can roll on it pretty good and she just pulls. If its a waste of money, that will be up to you to decide. I love me stage 1
Believe me, I think a tune is the most cost effective power increase we can get. I'm not saying it's a waste of money, because anything people are doing to increase the capabilities of the platform are a tremendous learning point for everyone on the forum. I just think (for me) it'll take a while to get used to the stock HP/TQ before i'll be ready for a tune.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 01:14 AM   #69
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by thef10m5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Out of curiosity....

...Is the stock ///M5 not fast enough for you guys?!? How much power do you really need? It's already a monster off the lot.
A totally fair question. TBH - I don't think anyone in their right mind "needs" more than even 300HP in the right car to have a blast. To someone like me, it's a mental thing. Just knowing I've got that much HP & TQ at my foot has been a very satisfying feeling when I'm out & about.

Also - I never planned on getting the BM3. I just wanted the mid-pipes & muffler for the intoxicating exhaust note & was perfectly happy with the car being otherwise stock. BUT - the catless & BM3 kind of became an offer that I couldn't turn down, so I just went with it. This said, the difference in having & not having the BM3 is quite significant.

Off-the-line acceleration is frighteningly fast & I've beaten the new F90 in short pulls. I am very careful about how I use it though & will likely remove the catless & BM3 within the next year as I've gradually found it to be overkill for about town driving.
Thank you for your perspective, and I appreciate you answering my question. My question was definitely one of curiosity. I hope it didn't come off negatively in any way.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 04:51 AM   #70
Craze
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5 E60, M5 F10, X5 50i

I have an e60 m5 also

Now when i drove the f10 i felt it needed more power, the e60 no it doesnt! The e60 na engine responds much quicker, but the f10 being more numb and isolated needed a wakeup
1950kg and 550hp isnt really crazy power
For such a car 600-700 is what it needs
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2019, 05:07 AM   #71
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craze View Post
I have an e60 m5 also

Now when i drove the f10 i felt it needed more power, the e60 no it doesnt! The e60 na engine responds much quicker, but the f10 being more numb and isolated needed a wakeup
1950kg and 550hp isnt really crazy power
For such a car 600-700 is what it needs
What part of Australia are you in Craze you must have full throttle roads that go on for miles.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 06:13 AM   #72
schrickm5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M550d xdrive touring

I also think its a fair question, but it all depends on what you are used to. If you've had the car for a short period - then maybe its enough.
Another factor could be your driving environment, are there many fast cars around?
Then, personally I think would probably want to get that Stage 1 or 2 tune, especially if you can't resist when challenged.

Previous Cars:- 2015 GTR > 2014 M5 CP > 2006 M6> 2007 M5 E61 > 2014 F31 328xi >2001 E39 530i > 1995 E34 M5 > 1999 Alpina B8 > 1992 E34 M5 >
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 08:59 AM   #73
SapphireM5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Sapphire Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrickm5 View Post
I also think its a fair question, but it all depends on what you are used to. If you've had the car for a short period - then maybe its enough.
Another factor could be your driving environment, are there many fast cars around?
Then, personally I think would probably want to get that Stage 1 or 2 tune, especially if you can't resist when challenged.
I don't do a lot of high speed runs, i just like to be able to nail it getting onto the highway, from a stop light etc. I just really like how much better all around the car feels, not just the power.
'13 Black Sapphire Metallic - BPM Stage 1 Tune - RPI Exhaust - KW HAS Kit - 12mm spacers all around- Carbon Fiber front lip - High Kick Trunk Spoiler - Rear Roof Spoiler - IND Kidney and Fender Grills - 20% Tint all around 50% Front Windshield - PPF
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2019, 06:03 PM   #74
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5

Quote:
I don't do a lot of high speed runs, i just like to be able to nail it getting onto the highway, from a stop light etc. I just really like how much better all around the car feels, not just the power.
lol yea we can definitely merge with the s63
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 06:09 PM   #75
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
A totally fair question. TBH - I don't think anyone in their right mind "needs" more than even 300HP in the right car to have a blast. To someone like me, it's a mental thing. Just knowing I've got that much HP & TQ at my foot has been a very satisfying feeling when I'm out & about.

Also - I never planned on getting the BM3. I just wanted the mid-pipes & muffler for the intoxicating exhaust note & was perfectly happy with the car being otherwise stock. BUT - the catless & BM3 kind of became an offer that I couldn't turn down, so I just went with it. This said, the difference in having & not having the BM3 is quite significant.

Off-the-line acceleration is frighteningly fast & I've beaten the new F90 in short pulls. I am very careful about how I use it though & will likely remove the catless & BM3 within the next year as I've gradually found it to be overkill for about town driving.
m cars are pretty non-existent here so ill probably never get to line up with an f90.. but ive wondered.. cool to hear

but if the f90 is tuned im pretty sure its over lol
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 06:49 PM   #76
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

Quote:
I am very careful about how I use it though & will likely remove the catless & BM3 within the next year as I've gradually found it to be overkill for about town driving.
How exactly is it overkill if you don't mind expanding a bit on that? Genuinely curious as I'm Dinan Stg1 and considering going BM3 Stg 2 + DP's when my CPO warranty is up.
      09-26-2019, 11:56 PM   #77
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94jedi View Post
How exactly is it overkill if you don't mind expanding a bit on that? Genuinely curious as I'm Dinan Stg1 and considering going BM3 Stg 2 + DP's when my CPO warranty is up.
i think your logic is flawed... go stage 2 while u still have a warranty so if it blows up u have a shot at a new motor for free(just put it all back to stock before it gets checked out)
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 12:02 AM   #78
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh no question. It was my friend's new F90. He'd upgraded from a tuned F10 as well & was a bit chapped that his new F90 was slower than my F10. But I went to his wife's baby shower a couple weekends ago & he was like "I've ordered my parts & tune. Your days are numbered." LOL
haha ohhh so its your friend! youre stage2? did u run him from a roll? im doubting highly we can beat an f90 off the line with that AWD no matter how much juice we have.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 12:17 AM   #79
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, this is strictly my personal opinion, but what I mean for example - the car is obnoxiously loud now & closing the valves doesn't really help bc there's so much vibration & rattle, so I just keep them open all the time. It draws too much attention.

I'm a full-time exec for a large company with two young teenage boys, so life is just busy. I don't have time for long weekend drives so the car is mostly driven locally - but this machine is only really happy when it's driven the way M cars are supposed to be driven - which is hard. Still, I enjoy the hell out of the car how I can.

I'm admittedly just a regular guy who has more serious enthusiast friends. They always coax me into things for my cars that I'd otherwise not do - like getting catless DP & a BM3 - LOL. I don't track my car or obsess about HP stats, 0-60 times etc. but I feel like the set-up now is geared for more serious driving which I don't do.

Anyhow - that's what I mean by overkill. Doesn't really suit how I use the car.

its totally overkill, even stock, but the reaction u get from passengers when you kick it at 60mph and it fishtails.. is just right. lol.

but dont ever let your sons own or drive this or something like this unless theyre 30 or pro.

i would 100% be dead right now if i had gotten this before 30 or if my parents had ever put me in anything over 250hp.

i think they knew better after observing me doing wheelies thru every gear to top speed on a honda300 quad when i was 12 (every day) lol
i really am kinda lucky
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2019, 07:44 PM   #80
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
I felt a huge difference with my BPMSport stage 1
Where in NJ you live? I'd like to see how my F90 M5 compares

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 08:03 PM   #81
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachM5nster View Post
i think your logic is flawed... go stage 2 while u still have a warranty so if it blows up u have a shot at a new motor for free(just put it all back to stock before it gets checked out)
Unfortunately, they'll know if you flashed the ECU...they always do. I think Stg2 + DP's is pretty safe, but for now, don't want to do anything to void the warranty.
      09-27-2019, 08:09 PM   #82
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, this is strictly my personal opinion, but what I mean for example - the car is obnoxiously loud now & closing the valves doesn't really help bc there's so much vibration & rattle, so I just keep them open all the time. It draws too much attention.

I'm a full-time exec for a large company with two young teenage boys, so life is just busy. I don't have time for long weekend drives so the car is mostly driven locally - but this machine is only really happy when it's driven the way M cars are supposed to be driven - which is hard. Still, I enjoy the hell out of the car how I can.

I'm admittedly just a regular guy who has more serious enthusiast friends. They always coax me into things for my cars that I'd otherwise not do - like getting catless DP & a BM3 - LOL. I don't track my car or obsess about HP stats, 0-60 times etc. but I feel like the set-up now is geared for more serious driving which I don't do.

Anyhow - that's what I mean by overkill. Doesn't really suit how I use the car.
Appreciate your perspective and I completely understand. I take my kid to school, go to my corporate job, then battle traffic on the way home. I keep meaning to get this car on the track, either road or drag, and just haven't had the time. On rare occasions, I'll get the car out on a Sunday morning for a quick jaunt on some back roads, but this really isn't a back road corner carver either.

This car is a cruise missile, at home at 80mph and beyond, on a highway.

It's 100% overkill, even in stock form...but to me, that's the whole point.
      09-27-2019, 08:49 PM   #83
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Stage 2. We went from a roll bc my tires would spin like crazy from a standstill LOL. And as I mentioned, I'm not a hardcore enthusiast or anything, so I've never dyno'd the car - but with the full Meisterschaft system + the tune, I was told the estimated HP at the crank was easily over 700 & it feels every bit like it is.
upgraded clutches yet?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 06:24 PM   #84
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No...can you educate me? What are the benefits of upgraded clutches? Faster shifts? Any recommendations?
At a certain TQ level, the stock clutches begin to slip. They simply can't clamp w/ enough force/friction to put the power to the rear axle consistently. Most folks agree that around 650 lbft wtq and beyond is where you're pushing the limits.

Problem is, these motors are capable of 700+ wtq. In fact, the turbos can easily flow enough air (fueling might become an issue) and make enough power to bend rods or shoot one out the side of the block.
      10-02-2019, 05:09 PM   #85
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94jedi View Post
At a certain TQ level, the stock clutches begin to slip. They simply can't clamp w/ enough force/friction to put the power to the rear axle consistently. Most folks agree that around 650 lbft wtq and beyond is where you're pushing the limits.

Problem is, these motors are capable of 700+ wtq. In fact, the turbos can easily flow enough air (fueling might become an issue) and make enough power to bend rods or shoot one out the side of the block.
lol def seen both those occur. yea heat starts really becoming an issue at high boost too. i think a good stage 1 is adequate especially since no stage is gonna beat the tuned f90 awd

Last edited by BeachM5nster; 10-02-2019 at 05:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 05:10 PM   #86
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oy. I've read stories about bent rods claiming engines on more than one M5 that had the BM3. I didn't understand the mechanics of how it occurred, but your explanation has both enlightened and stressed me LOL. I'm at the point where I think the CDP/BM3 is becoming more headache than it's worth. Just yesterday I was having some fun alongside a GT350 and heard a disconcerting 'thwunk' between 2nd & 3rd shifts as I was gunning the throttle.
uh oh.. whats the specs on your tune?

and a thwunk would be your rear differential to my knowledge. or it just hitting into gear.. the slipping of clutches doesnt make a noise or impact i dont think

Last edited by BeachM5nster; 10-02-2019 at 05:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 05:27 PM   #87
Monteblueem5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 13 m5

So my car is finally getting fixed after Denied the claim I have to pay 15k
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 06:00 PM   #88
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
LOL. Here's the list of mostly performance oriented mods that I've had done.

- Meisterschaft SUS Muffler Exhaust w/ GTC EV Remotes / 4 x 102MM
- Meisterschaft Full Cat-Back Bolt-On Mid-Pipes (LXR) w/ Velocity Box (SUS)
- Meisterschaft Cat Elimination Downpipes w/ Reservoir Tank (90MM Piping)
- Bootmod3 S63TU Performance Flash Tune (Stage 2)
- 2 SVF2 Front Wheels @ 22 x 9 w/ Lionhart Tires 255/30zr22 95w xl
- 2 SVF2 Rear Wheels @ 22 x 11 w/ Nexen Tires 295/25zr22 97y + 8mm spacers
- I've also had the suspension lowered to reduce wheel gap but no aftermarket parts.
u still have fender gap with 22's? wth? lol

but i meant whats the power output of your tune but ok yea youll need clutches soon Regardless of if that was the noise or not
Appreciate 0