BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

07-28-2020, 12:09 PM   #1
santamonica00
Lover of the 3rd pedal
Rep
Drives: '16 M5 6spd; '13 Audi S4 6 spd

Problem w/ newly purchased '16 CPO

So I've posted a few times about the long road I took to try and find a 2016 F10 w/ CP and a manual. Was able to find it at BMW Ridgefield (CT) back in February. Had a friend drive it and the dealership CPO'ed it but didn't do a PPI. Yes, would have loved to but given the competitive market in getting it I didn't have time. Well, flash forward a couple months and limited driving due to COVID I'd noticed some metal sound when turning the wheels when stopped all the way right or left. Wanted to get it to the dealer near me (BMW Santa Monica) and they found the suspension is "all after market". None of this was disclosed at sale and actually surprised they could "CPO" it (though who knows what that's worth).

Not sure a CarFax would ever mention but confused why a fully warranty'ed car would continue to be serviced at a dealer (under warranty) have the suspension replaced w/ aftermarket. Dealership sent me this video: http://www.mkvwa26.com/p/8UQ5rx.html

Couple questions:

Anyone recognize this setup on the car? How expensive would it be to revert back to original parts?
Any recourse about the sale to me given those modifications? My understanding was the car was unmodified though not sure that was ever represented in an email or sale docs.

Car now as 49k miles so trying to get anything under warranty fixed now before 50k. Any thoughts/comments would be welcome.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 12:39 PM   #2
Fullpoints
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 6spd CP

It appears you have Dinan coilovers...which is absolutely EPIC and a great upgrade. You should be ecstatic! They are completely adjustable and a quality part. I would lower your car an inch, tighten all bolts again, and drive off into the sunset happy.
Appreciate 2
      07-28-2020, 12:59 PM   #3
santamonica00
Lover of the 3rd pedal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullpoints View Post
It appears you have Dinan coilovers...which is absolutely EPIC and a great upgrade. You should be ecstatic! They are completely adjustable and a quality part. I would lower your car an inch, tighten all bolts again, and drive off into the sunset happy.
Are they Dinan or are you just saying that from the color? Would hope that were true but just got off with the rep (not guy doing the work) and he said they were "plastic and cheap". Surprised me because why would you swap out for an inferior part?

Appreciate that and will try to take to an independent when I get it back.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 01:17 PM   #4
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by santamonica00 View Post
Are they Dinan or are you just saying that from the color? Would hope that were true but just got off with the rep (not guy doing the work) and he said they were "plastic and cheap". Surprised me because why would you swap out for an inferior part?

yea bo, those are dinans. and should be warrantyable. but dont get rid of it!

Whoever had your car -a manual competition package - didn't skimp out and put stupid suspension on it!

youre lucky. baller
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2020, 02:02 PM   #5
santamonica00
Lover of the 3rd pedal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachM5nster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by santamonica00 View Post

yea bo, those are dinans. and should be warrantyable. but dont get rid of it!

Whoever had your car -a manual competition package - didn't skimp out and put stupid suspension on it!

youre lucky. baller
Warranty'able with Dinan? Just wondering who to look to.

Oh and for some fun, here's the quote to get the original suspension back 😳
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 03:06 PM   #6
Fullpoints
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 6spd CP

I would check to see if you have the Dinan Tension Strut Ball joints installed, they can sometimes make some noise as its a metal joint vs. a bushing. They tend to always make some noise, but people put up with it for the increased stiffness and feel. I think they are about $500 for new ones, so might be an easy fix or it might be serviceable as is.
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2020, 03:44 PM   #7
Doctor_X
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 CP - 2022 M5 CS

Garage List
2015 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5 CS  [0.00]
The only real problem you have is a tech not knowing what helper springs are and not recognizing factory endorsed aftermarket high end components.

Lucky dog!
Appreciate 2
      07-28-2020, 05:34 PM   #8
PerfM5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Space, E92 M3 Techno

OP go to a better shop ASAP. These guys are ripping you off! PitStop Motor Tuning specializes in these cars. In fact he has a long history with BMW. Now he's racing his 911 GT3RS regularly. Go visit him and tell him Ludwig sent you.
      07-28-2020, 06:17 PM   #9
santamonica00
Lover of the 3rd pedal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_X View Post
The only real problem you have is a tech not knowing what helper springs are and not recognizing factory endorsed aftermarket high end components.

Lucky dog!
Many thanks all! I actually called Dinan who only tracks the installation by VIN on their ECU tunes so couldn't confirm but did refer me to Mark Norris at Bavarian Works in West Hills (about 20 miles north of LA).

Interestingly, I just picked up the car and when I referenced a couple of the points here the front office guy at BMW Santa Monica agreed that maybe it was Dinan. Keep the group posted on what is under the car. All the (quick) help is much appreciated.

One thing still confuses me, doesn't this need to be disclosed when sold given it was CPO'ed? I'll take it nonetheless!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 09:40 PM   #10
SGTVinny
Rep
Drives: E90

The occasional clicking is completely normal, its called spring perch. As they are coilovers vs conventional / performance (non-threaded) CP springs. I would be willing to bet those are Dinans. No 6MT + CP enthusiast is going to put a cheap & plastic suspension.

And yes, normal for the car to be CPO'd with these on them.

You need to pay the Dinan shop, you were referenced, for the labor to re-adjust the suspension to your liking, road force and align. Ask them if you have monoballs and sways too. The clicking is not going to go away unless you move back to OEM or other non-threaded springs. However, it will you a better ride than what you have now.

If you do not believe me, let this guy called Steve Dinan explain -->

Good luck, do not forget my offer
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2020, 10:00 AM   #11
santamonica00
Lover of the 3rd pedal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTVinny View Post
The occasional clicking is completely normal, its called spring perch. As they are coilovers vs conventional / performance (non-threaded) CP springs. I would be willing to bet those are Dinans. No 6MT + CP enthusiast is going to put a cheap & plastic suspension.

And yes, normal for the car to be CPO'd with these on them.

You need to pay the Dinan shop, you were referenced, for the labor to re-adjust the suspension to your liking, road force and align. Ask them if you have monoballs and sways too. The clicking is not going to go away unless you move back to OEM or other non-threaded springs. However, it will you a better ride than what you have now.

If you do not believe me, let this guy called Steve Dinan explain -->

Good luck, do not forget my offer
Thanks for the video. Appreciate the elementary education because that's the level I need on this! Very helpful.
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2020, 04:21 PM   #12
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullish657 View Post
Fk - id find a cheaper way to do this. but honestly i dont know why americans think they know better than european manufacturers when it comes suspension - spend 100k on an M5 then butcher it to make it "look real cool"
it is agreed upon that the suspension is the f10m5's weak point. plus its just struts. just tighter. these arent to look cool. dinan programming on the f10 -no.. dinan suspension upgrade-yes. a 6mt cp owner did this bc they clearly are an enthusiast and wanted performance over comfort at all times
Appreciate 0