M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

04-20-2012, 05:03 AM   #111
jippii ensio
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Sorry to see. The father was lucky to survive.

Other drivers make mistakes because of not being the best drivers and not being able to see or comprehend a car approaching at 300km/h.

A driver could reduce risks by slowing down and avoiding excessive speed differences when other cars are in sight.

If the accident happens, it does not help much even if the other party was at fault. Quite the contrary. You'll just get angry...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 05:05 AM   #112
pepsih
Captain
Rep
Drives: f02, e24

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 View Post
I hope the family comes out ok.

I hope they catch the SOB that cut him off.
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 05:40 AM   #113
House MD
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nockenpaul View Post
Well, even if there is no general speed limit on the Autobahn, there is a "adivsory speed limit" of 130 km/h. If you exceed this limit and are involved in an accident, you can have partial liability so that the insurance will refuse to pay 100 %.

http://www.spiegel.de/auto/aktuell/0...748406,00.html

http://horst-schinzel.suite101.de/di...-werden-a48418
Thanks for the information, didn't know that.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 05:47 AM   #114
Ascari
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M - 08 X3 MSport 3.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767IJP
Back in the 60s and 70s the plane company Beechcraft made a private high performance single engine airplane called the Bonanza. The elite went out and got their pilots license and buying it in big numbers. They also wound up getting killed like mad. It was dubbed the "Doctor Killer". See despite the ability to afford it, they didn't have the competence to
Operate it. See JFK Jr.

This guy was going at 300km/h on a public road which is INSANE. Perhaps this driver knew what he was doing. But the mere variable of OTHERS sharing the same road shows some sort of invincibility by him. Like motorcyclists say. "it's not the bike that'll kill you, it's the other drivers." 300 Klicks is insanely fast. Close to F1 top speeds. On a public road, infested with gobs of incompetents (now matter how high the standard is there)?!? Madness.

300km/h leaves you with little reaction time to someone else's blunder. You're putting your trust out on a ridiculous limb.

That said hope they pull through and slow down for god sakes. What's the point? On a public road!?!?!
This
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 05:59 AM   #115
inthemix
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 e39 M5

Any updates on the condition of the driver/passenger?

Do we know what is the current condition of those folks?
      04-20-2012, 06:26 AM   #116
pow
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: 320i

Don't get me wrong but, kill yourself no problem - but dont danger other drivers on the street!
Recover good and fast.
      04-20-2012, 06:34 AM   #117
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nockenpaul View Post
Well, even if there is no general speed limit on the Autobahn, there is a "adivsory speed limit" of 130 km/h. If you exceed this limit and are involved in an accident, you can have partial liability so that the insurance will refuse to pay 100 %.

http://www.spiegel.de/auto/aktuell/0...748406,00.html

http://horst-schinzel.suite101.de/di...-werden-a48418
We made sure our policy does not have the 130 clause. It seems if you have a safe history, not a new driver and do not go with a budget insurer the clause is not there.

I also pay a €10 a month adder to protect my other assets in the event we are at error (very unlikely but I am not naive enough to think my wife and I are flawless).

I will say that the German insurance system is much less forgiving than the US. It makes you take more precautions because you can be liable and may have to pay out of pocket (like not having snow tires).

I wish those in the accident a speedy recovery- I have been on their end almost a few times (at less speed) on deserted roads with wondering drivers and it is no fun and can be deadly.
      04-20-2012, 06:35 AM   #118
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

This happens a lot. The people who can afford these cars are usually past their prime as far as reflexes go and they are very good at something like banking, law or medicine so they have a lot of money. The problem is they think they are good at everything. Well, they aren't race car drivers and people do get cut off. Driving isn't just about your car, it is about the other guy too.
      04-20-2012, 06:39 AM   #119
Touring
Major
Norway
Rep
Drives: i3,E21,M2,E23, Skoda Kodiaq

Going 300km/h on the autobahn with traffic.... Well, he is not my hero.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 06:44 AM   #120
ItsNumptyBoy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E82 123d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touring
Going 300km/h on the autobahn with traffic.... Well, he is not my hero.
Exactly.
All of the engineering excellence applied by BMW M Division......totally undone by the "tool at the wheel"!!

If he ever drives again, then he'd do well to learn that the art of advanced driving in a public highway includes supreme observations, recognition of potential and actual hazards, and adjusting one's progress accordingly do as to ALWAYS have an achievable safety option!!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 06:46 AM   #121
Tupapison
Private
Austria
Rep
Drives: 2012 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsNumptyBoy View Post
Exactly.
All of the engineering excellence applied by BMW M Division......totally undone by the "tool at the wheel"!!

If he ever drives again, then he'd do well to learn that the art of advanced driving in a public highway includes supreme observations, recognition of potential and actual hazards, and adjusting one's progress accordingly do as to ALWAYS have an achievable safety option!!
My point exactly. Not just go full speed because the car can go 300km/h.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 06:50 AM   #122
Touring
Major
Norway
Rep
Drives: i3,E21,M2,E23, Skoda Kodiaq

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsNumptyBoy View Post
Exactly.

well said!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 07:18 AM   #123
Nelrock
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767IJP View Post
Wake up. It's not against the law sure. As educated as German drivers are would you blindly trust someone you've never met to drive perfectly at all times? Really?

300km/h is hauling the mail dude. If anyone, ANYONE fucks up you're dead. This guy is lucky he isn't.

Also from what I hear any speed above 130 exposes driver to possible fines if it is found he is negligent.

Sure the idiot that cut him off is wrong. But why would you ever put yourself in a spot where said idiot could ever do anything that COULD kill you?!

This guy doing that speed leaves himself ZERO outs if someone else makes even the slightest error. This drivers judgement shows serious flaws IMO.
Accidents occur...people die or are injured...people get cut off...every day...at 55mph...65mph...

Having lived and driven in Germany, I very rarely ever saw an accident. Can't recall any on the autobahn. It's an entirely different driving mentality and etiquette. Besides beer delivery to my doorstep...it's one of the things I miss the most. Loved driving over there.

2011 E92 M3 | Melbourne Red | Black Novillo w/Carbon Leather Trim | M-DCT | Competition Package | Premium Package 2 | Convenience Package | Enhanced Premium Sound | Heated Front Seats
2004 E46 M3 | Silver Grey | - Retired
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 07:24 AM   #124
///Mmmm Good
Private
Rep
Drives: 2002 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalamokid View Post
Anyone question why there is an m3 and an m6 at the crash site? Maybe they were racing?
Not sure if this has been answered, didn't want to read all of the posts. The other ///M's on scene belong to the son's of the driver of the ///M5 who were following him, as it states in the article. Whether or not they were racing... I don't know. Be safe out there!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 07:53 AM   #125
bucket328
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 328i

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [10.00]
OMG!!!! I can't believe everyone walked away from that.I wish them a speedy recovery!!!
      04-20-2012, 08:04 AM   #126
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

7 pages and no one said it...

"That'll buff right out".

Glad to see these people are alive and hope they are well. To those who decry this type of behavior on the autobahn, get off it. Those types of speed happens every day over there. It's your choice to do so when you are in an unrestricted zone. Suppose the road was clear and conditions were good but some asshat decided to pull over without looking? clearly the guy had his lights on to warn other drivers.

Accidents happen at the speed limit, even when there isn't one.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 08:20 AM   #127
ItsNumptyBoy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E82 123d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
7 pages and no one said it...

"That'll buff right out".

Glad to see these people are alive and hope they are well. To those who decry this type of behavior on the autobahn, get off it. Those types of speed happens every day over there. It's your choice to do so when you are in an unrestricted zone. Suppose the road was clear and conditions were good but some asshat decided to pull over without looking? clearly the guy had his lights on to warn other drivers.

Accidents happen at the speed limit, even when there isn't one.
Thankfully, worldwide without exception, the legal position is diametrically opposed to yours!!!

Firstly, it's NOT the Green Hell......if you want true "participation by consent, with no speed restrictions" then go there FFS!!!
This is a public highway, where the over riding factors, irrespective of posted limits, is the requirement to uphold a driving standard that shows a duty of care to ALL users. Driving, on any public highway, is NOT a consent based sport!!

This tool approached a clearly visible on slip, an "actual danger" in advanced driving terminology, and predictably, an emerging car joined the main carriageway. It is highly probable that the emerging car would have difficulty seeing the oncoming M5, and YES, may be displayed an element of neglect or less than ideal observational standards.......BUT, the tool in the M5 approach this hazard at V-Max......that being 280 feet per second!!!! That's 280 FEET PER SECOND!!!!!!!!!!!
With an average reaction time of AT LEAST 1.5 seconds (and on occasion as much as 3) that's 420 to simply PERCEIVE the emerging car before inputting any braking or steering!!!

At the very LEAST, there was a predictable 100mph differential between the M5 and any vehicle that might emerge.....more so if it were to be a heavy goods vehicle or a 1.6l family box!!

I conduct the forensic reconstruction of fatal collisions for a living.....and this guy is wholly culpable for his injuries and those of his passengers......and had anybody died then he would also be facing a stint in a very small room with bunk beds!!

Take it to the track people.........
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 08:24 AM   #128
fatjoez
student
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash237 View Post
How much for the left headlight shipped to 33176?
bro you made my day lol

on another note.
2 sons. one has M3, the other M6,

and NEITHER chases the at fault driver down?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 08:39 AM   #129
mookie45
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW 340i M-Sport

WOW that's crazy!! I hope they are making a speedy and full recovery.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 08:44 AM   #130
Wideboy
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M Sport

Keep your eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel
The future's uncertain, and the end is always near...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 08:55 AM   #131
TonyMeister
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW...
Location: I'm here I'm there I'm F' everywhere I'm the eggman

I'd like to know more news about their status.

Because, so far, all we know is that they were rescued alive and are in critical condition, but how critical is their situation? Because a critical condition can range from several broken bones to severe brain injuries.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 09:13 AM   #132
Fester
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Porsche 911 (991) 4S

Well great to know that everyone survived .... The pics look terrible!!