M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

02-07-2019, 09:13 AM   #463
bm5bullit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil@BPC View Post
I think you may have already answered your own question there

But Ill go into detail, I dont mind

The engine was torn down for inspection. We wanted to inspect for any wear. Rubens engine is our first built S63 and has the most mileage on it compared to our other 4 built S63's. Like a race team that measures engines on hours and then has the engine taken out and sent back to the manufacturer for inspection we wanted to do something similar. We pulled the engine, performed the tear down, inspected seals, gaskets, connecting rod bearings, main bearings, cylinder walls, piston rings, pistons, crankshaft, camshafts, valves. After was inspected and checked out we simply reinstalled the pistons, crankshaft, camshafts, valves, valve springs with all new seals, gaskets, connecting rod bearings and crankshaft bearings.

Awesome. Great to see that a company like yours has the customer's best interest at the top of it's priorities. And, it sure doesn't hurt your reputation.

If you had 30,000+ miles on your first built engine that makes over 1000rwhp and then wanted to crank the boost up to make even more power wouldn't you be interested to see how everything was wearing internally?

This is just part of who we are, we wouldn't want to just throw an engine together and then just keep turning up the boost until... oh crap sorry we blew the engine.... Although we are a small shop and dont make race engines on a daily basis we do like to break down engines for inspections and report to the owner our findings. This is just a sign of going above and beyond and by expanding our knowledge of how things wear in under these conditions.

Dont worry the engine didnt let go or blow up. If it did Id show photos, Im pretty sure just about everyone in here would love to see that.

Awesome. Good to see that a company like yours is looking out for it's customer's best interests. Also, doesn't hurt your reputation at all.
2020 Chev. ZR2 Bison truck, Daily Driver
Appreciate 1
Phil@BPC463.00
      02-07-2019, 10:05 AM   #464
ONE_slow_m5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 f90 m5

Quote:
I think you may have already answered your own question there

But Ill go into detail, I dont mind

The engine was torn down for inspection. We wanted to inspect for any wear. Rubens engine is our first built S63 and has the most mileage on it compared to our other 4 built S63's. Like a race team that measures engines on hours and then has the engine taken out and sent back to the manufacturer for inspection we wanted to do something similar. We pulled the engine, performed the tear down, inspected seals, gaskets, connecting rod bearings, main bearings, cylinder walls, piston rings, pistons, crankshaft, camshafts, valves. After was inspected and checked out we simply reinstalled the pistons, crankshaft, camshafts, valves, valve springs with all new seals, gaskets, connecting rod bearings and crankshaft bearings.

If you had 30,000+ miles on your first built engine that makes over 1000rwhp and then wanted to crank the boost up to make even more power wouldn't you be interested to see how everything was wearing internally?

This is just part of who we are, we wouldn't want to just throw an engine together and then just keep turning up the boost until... oh crap sorry we blew the engine.... Although we are a small shop and dont make race engines on a daily basis we do like to break down engines for inspections and report to the owner our findings. This is just a sign of going above and beyond and by expanding our knowledge of how things wear in under these conditions.

Dont worry the engine didnt let go or blow up. If it did Id show photos, Im pretty sure just about everyone in here would love to see that.
We don't want to see engines blowing, we just like to see resaults of what works and what doesn't work thats all. Tons of engines are getting built everyday now and 0 data comes back.

We just want to know if they are being pushed how they are holding up and if ported heads, manifolds, springs etc are worth it. or if doing rods, pistons, and bearings is good enough to safely run 800-900whp.
wheelpro175.00
      02-16-2019, 03:33 PM   #465
bm5bullit
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm5bullit View Post
Awesome. Good to see that a company like yours is looking out for it's customer's best interests. Also, doesn't hurt your reputation at all.
My last question would be -would you change any of the parts, specs, type of gaskets, bearings that you are currently using? I am sure guys build a solid motor given the 30K mark with no issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 08:29 AM   #466
Phil@BPC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E39 M5/ E30 325is

Garage List
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 325is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bm5bullit View Post
My last question would be -would you change any of the parts, specs, type of gaskets, bearings that you are currently using? I am sure guys build a solid motor given the 30K mark with no issues.
We wouldn't change anything about the parts, specs types of gaskets or bearings used in these builds
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 08:49 AM   #467
bm5bullit
Captain
United_States
Rep

Hardware

Quote:
We wouldn't change anything about the parts, specs types of gaskets or bearings used in these builds
Awesome. Great to know that the hard parts and the rest of necessary workmanship is rock solid. Got to find a way to find that spare motor core.
Appreciate 1
Phil@BPC463.00
      02-18-2019, 09:24 AM   #468
Phil@BPC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E39 M5/ E30 325is

Garage List
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 325is  [0.00]
Before going down this road we did so much research and talked to so many suppliers from all over, it was mind blowing. With all this effort and leg work we were able to establish a solid foundation that will work together and last under intense punishment.

There was someone on here that has cores unfortunately I can't remember who it was or there signature.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 11:17 AM   #469
bm5bullit
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Before going down this road we did so much research and talked to so many suppliers from all over, it was mind blowing. With all this effort and leg work we were able to establish a solid foundation that will work together and last under intense punishment.

There was someone on here that has cores unfortunately I can't remember who it was or there signature.
Thanks for the info. Appreciate your time and effort on this quest.
Appreciate 1
Phil@BPC463.00
      07-03-2019, 01:01 PM   #470
M4_Ronin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1st 1000WHP F10M5 in the world

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Hello everyone.

I've been waiting to write this as it's been a long road to get to this point.

First and foremost I would like to apologize to the bmw community and M5 guys that were following this thread. It's been fun and I will always remember our banter and going back and forth with people. Ended up making rivals that turned into new friends that have been real every step of the way... more so than some people I know in person and for that I thank you.

Second. Bimmer Performance Center has gone above and beyond! Dan Connor is the nicest guy I've ever met and could pick his brain on BMW's for hours.

Recently we decided to get the heads built on the car and to make a long story short it started smoking when coming to a stop after a week of running the new heads. At this point I was already kind of bummed about some asshole stealing my new wheels and kind of bored with the project so I jokingly told Dan that I wanted to sell it and it snowballed into an offer I couldn't refuse so I decided to sell it to him.

Now he has less pressure to get it done and he knows every inch of the car. I purchased an M4 to keep me happy and I'm only doing bolt on's... for now...

Thanks again!

Ruben.
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2019, 07:41 PM   #471
allmotor_2000
F10 1/4 WR: 9.9s / 142.5mph 1/2 WR: 175.5mph
Rep
Drives: 2018 RS3, 991 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruben7520 View Post
Hello everyone.

First and foremost I would like to apologize to the bmw community and M5 guys that were following this thread. It's been fun and I will always remember our banter and going back and forth with people. Ended up making rivals that turned into new friends that have been real every step of the way... more so than some people I know in person and for that I thank you.

Second. Bimmer Performance Center has gone above and beyond! Dan Connor is the nicest guy I've ever met and could pick his brain on BMW's for hours.

Recently we decided to get the heads built on the car and to make a long story short it started smoking when coming to a stop after a week of running the new heads. At this point I was already kind of bummed about some asshole stealing my new wheels and kind of bored with the project so I jokingly told Dan that I wanted to sell it and it snowballed into an offer I couldn't refuse so I decided to sell it to him.

Now he has less pressure to get it done and he knows every inch of the car. I purchased an M4 to keep me happy and I'm only doing bolt on's... for now...

Thanks again!

Ruben.
Been a wild ride my friend... onto the next chapter in good health!
Appreciate 1
M4_Ronin479.50
      07-03-2019, 10:35 PM   #472
M4_Ronin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotor_2000 View Post
Quote:
Hello everyone.

Thanks again!

Ruben.
Been a wild ride my friend... onto the next chapter in good health!
Thanks bro! Your advice was always helpful and wise!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 11:54 PM   #473
RG604
Canada
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Good choice!

Quote:
Hello everyone.

Thanks again!

Ruben.
      07-04-2019, 03:40 AM   #474
KMORGSM5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 CP M5

Quote:
Hello everyone.

Thanks again!

Ruben.
You doing Kratos turbos?

That is the guy who built my engine and turbos.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 09:26 PM   #475
M4_Ronin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMORGSM5 View Post
Quote:
Hello everyone.

Thanks again!

Ruben.
You doing Kratos turbos?

That is the guy who built my engine and turbos.
Yes i am! Seems like a good choice for now.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 08:37 PM   #476
ONE_slow_m5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 f90 m5

Quote:
got those m4 sounds horrible . But their power is proven now. unlike our m5
      07-14-2019, 12:07 PM   #477
M4_Ronin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slo_JUNK View Post
Quote:
Yes they sound HORRIBLE in comparison to the M5... but then i gapped a ZL1 1LE so i was like "ok ok. I see u M4"
Appreciate 2
Mcc420473.50
RG60411.00
      03-12-2020, 10:21 AM   #478
mspired335i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4_Ronin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slo_JUNK View Post
Quote:
Yes they sound HORRIBLE in comparison to the M5... but then i gapped a ZL1 1LE so i was like "ok ok. I see u M4"
Good choice moving onto the m4. Never seen the m5 motors actually hold up . Always a problem . Psyched to see kratos engine and turbos next !
Appreciate 0