M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

04-24-2019, 11:38 PM   #1
Kyriakos84
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10

Weird sound from the side of my M5

Hello Guys.
I own a M5 Build 2012 .
This is my First BMW M car and since i own it i had to learn that M cars do alot of weird sounds which are normal ^^.
I don‘t Reality know if i am just paranoid or something like this.
My M5 has a weird light sound.
I only can hear it when i stand 1 Meter from the car in the area between the drivers door and the front wing and i can only hear it with closed bonnet . If I move my head 10 cm to the right or to the left I can’t hear this sound anymore.
I can’t explain the sound really well and it is very hard to notice it. BMW told me there is nothing wrong wirh the car and my brother couldn’t hear it at all. I can hear this sound at idle when I am standing outside the car in the area I told before. Everything works fine. The sound isn’t annoying but I would like to know what this is. It sounds like a small rubber hose which is loosen. The sound is not constant. Sounds a bit like water circulation. Sorry for the bad explanation but it’s very hard to explain. Can’t make a voice record cause it’s very hard to notice except if you are paranoid like me ^^. Does anybody else know such weird sounds from his M5 ?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 04:38 AM   #2
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Welcome to the world of M cars! If you think it's a hose or something loose then you could do worse than go through all the hoses that you can reach making sure they're tightened up and not perished and also check the drive belt for wear, if it's shiny then replace it.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 04:59 AM   #3
Kyriakos84
Rep

Thanks alot for the quick reply .
The Problem is if I open the bonnet it’s not noticeable anymore. I pushed my ears on everything under the bonnet to try to locate it but I can‘t hear anything ^^. The belt seems to be good already checked that. All hoses are tight and look like new with no wear. Seems to be some kind of echo. Hmmmm will check everything later again . I‘ll post any updates. Everybody is welcome to give me more tips.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 09:38 AM   #4
Kyriakos84
Rep

Found the weird noisy thing^^
I took the plastic cover off the engine and it is the heatshield of the turbos. It is fixed well. The sound is not annoying or noticeable aswell except you are paranoid like me :-) But this is because I love the m5 sooo much.
Now everything is ok . It is always good to know where the noise comes from ^^
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 05:50 AM   #5
technician117
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2001 M5, 2013 M5 6MT

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Glad you fixed it! This is a good example why you can never listen or trust BMW dealer. Trust your "gut feeling".

How did you fix the problem? Was a shield loose?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 12:26 PM   #6
Kyriakos84
Rep

Yes right. It was a bit loose. Not a big deal :-)
Appreciate 0