M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

05-15-2019, 01:32 PM   #23
Jasoneo5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe, M3, Turbo S

Man, sorry to hear this. Could have been 1 or multiple of the previous owners if the car had decat and a tune at a minimum. Bearing wear is really mitigated by frequent oil changes and reasonable warmup time. A risk we all take in buying 2nd hand that has me anxious now...
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 02:43 PM   #24
pTron
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Doesn't matter

Sorry to hear.

I will suggest you consider the total cost of rebuild (i.e. cost of rebuild + resale on the car post re-build). Do not discount the fun of a Steve Dinan built engine.

My old man had to rebuild his AM DB5 engine, he was the second owner (from his father) and it gave in 1000 km later, this was when we were on the other side of the pond. Till today, it is still an extremely fun ride.. 24 years later. It was GBP 1000 (approx.) back in the 90s to have it redone (parts+labor).
      05-15-2019, 04:59 PM   #25
BM dnobagaV
BM dnobagaV
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 528i

DP's shouldn't affect the reliability of your engine at all, right?

It must be down to having a tune, previous driver habits, & not frequent enough oil changes or warm ups. There's no reason the engine should blow up at 60k miles.... this isn't the e60 V10.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 06:40 PM   #26
E93M3ofSFL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 F10 , 2008 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinylFrontier View Post
Update:

For those wondering I was the 4th or 5th owner. Car had 54k when I got it, engine died at 59k. One of the previous owners, did air scoops, charcoal filter delete and catless DP. I eventually found out that they also put BM3 on the model, because I couldn't register the VIN when I tried to load the Stage 1 map. I had to get BM3 to reset the VIN, so I could load the OTS map. The only reason I wanted to load BM3 was to adjust for 91 Octane which is all I can get locally, and to see if I could potentially smooth out the turbos in first gear, as it kicks pretty hard around 2k RPM. I wasn't even trying to get more power.

I changed the oil when I got the car, and was actually planning to do it again this weekend. So on the bright side... I don't have to change my oil any more!

The best guess at this point is the engine was already failing, potentially due to the driving by the previous owners. Don't get me wrong, I am an enthusiastic driver, but never tracked it.

I am new to this mechanic, European Autotech, but was recommended to me by a good friend. Everything in the shop was a BMW with several M cars. Feel pretty confident they are shooting me straight. Told me when they drained the oil, it was almost silver due to the metal in the pan.

At this point, I am planning on sourcing a rebuilt or used engine, upgrading the clutch while I'm at it, and try to get her back on the road. Not a lot of options on Ebay, but I did find this one from Ghassan. The unlimited mileage warranty, is very interesting to me. I put around 500 miles a week on the car, and plan to sell around the 2 year mark. However, I also saw several negative reviews on this forum regarding engines from them.

Does anyone have any additional input on Ghassan? I could see about having the engine rebuilt by Carbahn, but to be honest, I am worried to do something for additional HP gains, at the risk of being less reliable. I still need to get to work 5 days a week.
Mine is being towed as of now up to Michigan where Troy Jeup is !!!

To me hands down best option , after speaking to him you realize how much knowledge he has about these engines ...

Haven't heard anywhere of an engine he built that failed ...

Mine was completely stock with 70k miles 2013 and it happened unexpectedly...
BMW should be ashamed of all this ...

Bonus it will come back to Florida with 700hp ... and a 2 year warranty from Troy
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2019, 02:25 AM   #27
M5theonlyone
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E93M3ofSFL View Post
Mine is being towed as of now up to Michigan where Troy Jeup is !!!

To me hands down best option , after speaking to him you realize how much knowledge he has about these engines ...

Haven't heard anywhere of an engine he built that failed ...

Mine was completely stock with 70k miles 2013 and it happened unexpectedly...
BMW should be ashamed of all this ...

Bonus it will come back to Florida with 700hp ... and a 2 year warranty from Troy
That's some 1600 mi from where you are. Wasn't there someone closer that could do the job.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 03:10 AM   #28
OneExtra
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Competition Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
That's some 1600 mi from where you are. Wasn't there someone closer that could do the job.
That's like us taking it from London to Southern Spain
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 04:21 AM   #29
E93M3ofSFL
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
Quote:
He gets tow trucks to his shop from all over the country on a weekly basis !!! There is a reason why ....
Appreciate 1
OneExtra509.00

05-16-2019, 04:23 AM   #30
E93M3ofSFL
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
He receives cars from all over the country on a constant basis ... there is a reason why ...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 04:23 AM   #31
OneExtra
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
He gets tow trucks to his shop from all over the country on a weekly basis !!! There is a reason why ....
It was more the size of the USA compared to the UK
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 08:09 AM   #32
AirBull
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M5

Garage List
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
I started following him on Facebook, he has some very nice builds. Although most on his website is labeled as sold, the prices there appeared very reasonable.

Born 02.27.2015 in Dingolfing
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 08:53 AM   #33
E93M3ofSFL
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBull View Post
Quote:
I started following him on Facebook, he has some very nice builds. Although most on his website is labeled as sold, the prices there appeared very reasonable.
Agree !!!

Here is mine being taken to Michigan yesterday

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 10:28 AM   #34
VinylFrontier
Rep

From what I am seeing, best case, I am looking at, $10k for the motor rebuild and $4-5k to get it installed. I'm also going to be down a vehicle for at least a month. That is assuming my engine core is good and can be rebuilt. If it can't be rebuilt, add $3-8k to the total for the new core.

Total minimum rebuild $15-23k.

E93M3ofSFL How much for the rebuild?

While I choke at actually paying a repair bill that high, I can do it. My bigger fear is that, I will have another major issue down the road. I always anticipated it would be expensive to keep this car on the road, but not this soon.

To be honest, I am very close to fixing at the minimum expense, selling it, and getting a CPO Lexus IS350 or RC350 with unlimited mileage protection. I know it will be less of a car, but maybe it was foolish to think I could drive an M5, 500 miles a week and only be into it for a few thousand a year.

Does anyone on here drive this many miles on the regular?? Would love to know others experience. What is your average maintenance expense, per 10,000 miles? I average about 30k a year. I already have to change the oil 4-6 times a year, but what other expense should I expect?

I am afraid the dream, of driving this car daily, might not be feasible. Talk about not meeting your heros... lol
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 02:59 AM   #35
apexlocator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

RK Autowerks has spare and built engines I believe.
SSP Spec-R
KW V3/ Corsa Axle back
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 10:52 AM   #36
Hellerp
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F10 M5 CP

Ive had mine for 6 months and not had any issues. Though i must say this post has me scared sh*tless lol.
mines a 2014 CP with 39,000 miles and is completely standard. I was thinking of having an exhaust mod done but now think its best not to.
I have the BMW mondial extended warranty on mine so im assuming that would cover it if the engine died right?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 11:40 AM   #37
OneExtra
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellerp View Post
Ive had mine for 6 months and not had any issues. Though i must say this post has me scared sh*tless lol.
mines a 2014 CP with 39,000 miles and is completely standard. I was thinking of having an exhaust mod done but now think its best not to.
I have the BMW mondial extended warranty on mine so im assuming that would cover it if the engine died right?
Yes you would be covered if its a comprehensive warranty and the services were all up to date.

Don't be overly concerned enjoy the car but look after it.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 08:48 PM   #38
VinylFrontier
Rep

I really think it's due to the previous owners. If you have a lower mileage, 1 or 2 owner car, you will likely be ok.

I'm still looking getting the engine rebuilt, but for now have driven up to Minneapolis to pick up an IS 350 F. For the amount I drive, having unlimited mileage coverage for 6 years, is huge piece of mind. We'll have to see what I end up doing with the m5 after getting it repaired. I don't want to hold on to it just to have it sit around, but it's going to be hard to get rid of it at that point.

Love that car
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 11:37 PM   #39
WickedBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBull View Post
How well do you trust your mechanic? If the entire motor needs to be replaced, he ought to be able to explain to you how one thing failed and it took the entire motor with it so you can at least better speak to it when you're shopping around looking for someone who can do the rebuild. Do your due diligence and make sure you at least explore your options.

I believe Steve Dinan now owns Carbahn Auto Works and they can rebuild your motor and you'd end up with something more than you had. If you're really going to need a new motor, explore what it might take to utilize the improvements made on the current F90 M5 S63B44T4.

https://carbahnautoworks.com/product...12-f13-f06-m6/

Bimmer Performance Center in North Carolina could probably handle the rebuild, as well.

I would go with this option, Carbahn.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 10:56 AM   #40
VinylFrontier
Rep

Officially picked up the IS today...

Not gonna lie... I die a little inside when I putt my foot down, but 6 years of unlimited mileage protection... and the warranty is transferable to the new owner when I sell it. Hell I can almost keep the M5 with the amount I will save in repairs/gas/tires...

Still looking at getting it rebuilt. Looking forward to seeing how the rebuild goes for E93M3ofSFL
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 01:55 PM   #41
code600
Private
Rep
Drives: E92

Why not just buy a used engine from junk yards/ebay you can get it in the range of 8-10k there are shops that can install it for 2k if you look around then sell it? Would be your best bet.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 08:00 AM   #42
mister2d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by code600 View Post
Why not just buy a used engine from junk yards/ebay you can get it in the range of 8-10k there are shops that can install it for 2k if you look around then sell it? Would be your best bet.
That would be 12K plus incidentals on an unknown engine condition that might end up back at square one. Might as well spend another few grand on a rebuilt one.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 11:31 AM   #43
BeachM5nster
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5

i'm gonna say this hoping for good karma. these worries really suck.

but downpipes without a tune is supposedly healthy for the motor and turbos.

I was lucky enough to talk to the previous owner of my car and he was a car guy and changed the oil every 5000 miles with Amsoil 5w- 40 and I have a brand new transmission that he got done at the dealership as a favor not because it was needed so he says because he was planning on keeping the car

I always let my car warm up and I change my oil every 3000 miles with liquimoly leichtlauf 5w-40
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 11:35 AM   #44
BeachM5nster
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5

oh, and a large majority of these engine failures keeps having one thing in common: bootmod3..

I had looked at bootmode/bm3 months ago and I never bought it because I'll tell you, the price is too cheap and everything I read about it just made me not trust it bc it it seemed very, how do you say... shitty and cheap .. and the off-the-shelf tunes from tuners that just upload it ..it sounds like such a bad idea.. and then being able to switch back-and-forth between maps feature and all that ..I mean no ..it's just such all a bad idea

and all these reports are backing up my instincts on the matter

A good tune on this car is gonna be 2,000-$3000, not $800
Appreciate 0