M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

07-18-2019, 09:24 AM   #1
DRVGRMN
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5,AUDI B7 A4,AUDI C7

I bought my wife a 2013 F10 M5 with 45k miles for our anniversary. it now has 48k drive train malfunction came on 3 times now check engine light won't go off, but show no codes.
I am sure it is a fuel issue and I think we're got some bad gas (maybe...I hope)
So I want to get a code reader. I researched a bunch of them the main one I am interested in is the BMS s63tu JB4 w/ BCM & OBDII Performance Tuner | M5, M6, X5M, & X6M

Any thoughts, I own Audi with helix vagcom and this seems better and more to offer for my M5 but, i can't seem to find reviews. Do you guys have any input before I spend $1000 on it? Thank you in advance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 09:57 AM   #2
lamaro88
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35D

From what I have read and heard, these cars have that issue. Most of the time it could be fixed with changing out the spark plugs and coils. My car had this issue recently, so I took it back to the dealership and they changed out the plug and coil on one of the cylinders. Hopefully it isnt more than that.

Also I know if you go to an auto parts store, oreillys, autozone...they read codes for free.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 10:54 AM   #3
core22
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i / 911 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRVGRMN View Post
I bought my wife a 2013 F10 M5 with 45k miles for our anniversary. it now has 48k drive train malfunction came on 3 times now check engine light won't go off, but show no codes.
I am sure it is a fuel issue and I think we're got some bad gas (maybe...I hope)
So I want to get a code reader. I researched a bunch of them the main one I am interested in is the BMS s63tu JB4 w/ BCM & OBDII Performance Tuner | M5, M6, X5M, & X6M

Any thoughts, I own Audi with helix vagcom and this seems better and more to offer for my M5 but, i can't seem to find reviews. Do you guys have any input before I spend $1000 on it? Thank you in advance.
Welcome to a great forum

You posted a JB4 rather than a code reader. A reader will be a fraction of the cost (and you can get the codes read for free at some shops). A JB4 (piggy-back tune) will provide more power, as well as read and clear codes. Not sure you want to drop $$ on a JB4 until you figure out the source of the issues you are experiencing.

Past:
2013 911 C4S | 2019 X2 M35i | 2015 M5 Comp | 2013 M5 | 2013 640i | 2010 535xi | 2007 525xi

Last edited by core22; 07-18-2019 at 11:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 11:12 AM   #4
HXS
Licensed Drug Dealer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
drive train malfunction came on 3 times now check engine light won't go off, but show no codes..
The last time my car did this, it was the coils and plugs. So, crossing fingers it will be the same for you!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 12:03 PM   #5
DRVGRMN
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamaro88 View Post
From what I have read and heard, these cars have that issue. Most of the time it could be fixed with changing out the spark plugs and coils. My car had this issue recently, so I took it back to the dealership and they changed out the plug and coil on one of the cylinders. Hopefully it isnt more than that.

Also I know if you go to an auto parts store, oreillys, autozone...they read codes for free.
hopefully that's just it.... only had the car for a month. ty
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 12:07 PM   #6
DRVGRMN
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by core22 View Post
Quote:

Welcome to a great forum

You posted a JB4 rather than a code reader. A reader will be a fraction of the cost (and you can get the codes read for free at some shops). A JB4 (piggy-back tune) will provide more power, as well as read and clear codes. Not sure you want to drop $$ on a JB4 until you figure out the source of the issues you are experiencing.
I know that I can get them cheaper but it seems to me you get more bang for the buck.... and the hours I work everything is closed when we're get off of work to go anywhere to do a scan. and there are no BMW Dealership within 600 miles of me
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 12:11 PM   #7
DRVGRMN
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HXS View Post
Quote:
drive train malfunction came on 3 times now check engine light won't go off, but show no codes..
The last time my car did this, it was the coils and plugs. So, crossing fingers it will be the same for you!
I am really hoping that it is a simple cheap fix. I just dropped alot on her car, it would such to already have a big bill. lol
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 12:12 PM   #8
DRVGRMN
Rep

OP thanks for the welcome. I like how this forum is set up and it's clean look.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 04:37 PM   #9
TLK
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP, '12 550i, '04 545i

You can get by with a simple obdii reader that gives the P-codes and you can look them up on the web.

I have a fancier one that does the translation based on some data I downloaded after I got it, but that just saves you doing the lookup. Still only P-codes though. Handy to grab if somebody wants me to go look at a used car with them.

I use ISTA+ on PC for the BMWs since it is a good shop level tool and does much more than reading codes but setup is required and buying a loader from one the couple of sources that sell it. This is something a lot of people don't want to deal with. It can read and reset faults from almost everything in the car, unlike the simple tools that only show powertrain codes.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 07:09 PM   #10
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5

Quote:

no dealer within 600 miles is gonna not be fun
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 11:18 PM   #11
DRVGRMN
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLK View Post
You can get by with a simple obdii reader that gives the P-codes and you can look them up on the web.

I have a fancier one that does the translation based on some data I downloaded after I got it, but that just saves you doing the lookup. Still only P-codes though. Handy to grab if somebody wants me to go look at a used car with them.

I use ISTA+ on PC for the BMWs since it is a good shop level tool and does much more than reading codes but setup is required and buying a loader from one the couple of sources that sell it. This is something a lot of people don't want to deal with. It can read and reset faults from almost everything in the car, unlike the simple tools that only show powertrain codes.
yes thank you I was looking into that also.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 11:20 PM   #12
DRVGRMN
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachM5nster View Post
Quote:

no dealer within 600 miles is gonna not be fun
it's going to be.... but, I am used to it now. I own a 2015 S6 also and the closest Audi DS is 5-6 hours in either direction. Smh lol
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 04:45 AM   #13
technician117
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2001 M5, 2013 M5 6MT

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Nice looking car! I would get a basic bluetooth OBD2 reader and a phone app for basic reading/clearing codes while out driving. This way if you get a drivetrain malfunction and limited power, you can clear the codes to keep driving normally. Next, if you are computer savvy, I would try to find a download of ISTA D or ISTA+. Download to a laptop and then buy a $20 ENET cable and you have full diagnostic capability similar to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 07:53 AM   #14
Chauncey.Bishop
Big girls don't cry.
India
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:

A VAGCOM will provide you with more options and customization than a JB4 (I've used the ross-tech ones in the past). However if you're buying a tuner anyway and want built in code reading functionality, then JB4 does have basic diagnosis built into it, you simply need to acquire the cable that connects its circuit board to your laptop (i.e. serial to usb).