BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

01-23-2021, 11:56 AM   #1
tinysM5
Private
Rep
Drives: subaru

about to purchase during lockdown, what should i be asking the dealer

hi guys, signed up here a while ago but due to 1 thing or another never got round to getting an m5 HOWEVER that may be about to change as ive seen a really nice m5 local to me @ bmw in tamworth, yesterday it was £30k and now its £26.5k so that tells me they are struggling to sell it (guessing due to the current situation and not because there is anything wrong with it)

im going to ask the salesman to email me some info over before i go see the car so i was wondering if there are any recalls that should have been done etc or running in service? can the i-drive tell you ho long discs/pads have left?

so far i have

-any outstanding recalls
-running in service completed on time
-breakdown of the services its had so far
-any other work the car has needed
-disc and pad life left
-number of owners
-warranty being offered (hoping to get 2 years)
-checked the mot history and it shows lat year mot showing diff seal leak so need to ask if thats been sorted

anything else i should be asking guys?

this is the car in question

https://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/vehicle/2...d-5398f57457d7

thanks
matt
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 10:23 PM   #2
m5rosco
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 M5

You are asking all the right questions.

Bare in mind its a low spec car. No nice seats, no 360 camera, no led headlights etc
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 01:15 AM   #3
hawker1986
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

Looks like the right questions, might be worth asking regarding life left in the tyres. Hardly a big deal but theyre not cheap and you might want an idea when the cost will be coming
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 02:27 AM   #4
ianm5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

I don’t know if you’ve had one before, brilliant cars.

Remember that at 60k miles your warranty will ‘suddenly’ cost lots more, plenty of threads here refer.

If you run that car through Parker’s, you’ll see a range of values from 17-23k. I’m not suggesting Parker’s is accurate and the M5s second hand value is definitely spec and quality dependent, but if you wanted to offload that car in a year as PX then you’d be disappointed by the residuals because all the other black book equivalents use the same numbers.

I think there is definitely an anomaly in F10 M5 prices. They aren’t technically that for off being a RWD F90 and yet they sell for Hatchback money. My experience is that the running cost and reliability concerns are myths. So far In 2.5yrs I’ve spend a total of about 1k on trivial warranty items and main dealer major servicing and the car easily does 25mpg. I’ve blown way more money on way less interesting used cars.

I bought from BMW and didn’t regret it. I bought their servicing pack and warranty too and it’s been fine, although as the residual falls I’ll probably go aftermarket. They have lots of information on their system and in the cars logs that can give you a good picture of how it’s been treated. At the same time one of the big posters here sold one a while back and for a few k more it was like a fully specced museum grade piece. I guess it’s whether you know enough to comfortably buy outside the system.

The only real criticism I have is that the car sounds pretty rubbish and if that’s your thing you might want to factor in some exhaust either in money, the spec or find a CP car.

What kind of Subaru do you have? I’ll never forget in about 1999 when someone drove me over the Portsmouth hills in a chipped j import Impreza, even today I think it would whup everything.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 02:44 AM   #5
ianm5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Adds: some of that spec listed in the advert requires paid subscription to work properly. I was annoyed when I found that out. Make sure the sat nav has the latest paid update too.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 02:45 AM   #6
tinysM5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianm5 View Post
I don’t know if you’ve had one before, brilliant cars.

Remember that at 60k miles your warranty will ‘suddenly’ cost lots more, plenty of threads here refer.

If you run that car through Parker’s, you’ll see a range of values from 17-23k. I’m not suggesting Parker’s is accurate and the M5s second hand value is definitely spec and quality dependent, but if you wanted to offload that car in a year as PX then you’d be disappointed by the residuals because all the other black book equivalents use the same numbers.

I think there is definitely an anomaly in F10 M5 prices. They aren’t technically that for off being a RWD F90 and yet they sell for Hatchback money. My experience is that the running cost and reliability concerns are myths. So far In 2.5yrs I’ve spend a total of about 1k on trivial warranty items and main dealer major servicing and the car easily does 25mpg. I’ve blown way more money on way less interesting used cars.

I bought from BMW and didn’t regret it. I bought their servicing pack and warranty too and it’s been fine, although as the residual falls I’ll probably go aftermarket. They have lots of information on their system and in the cars logs that can give you a good picture of how it’s been treated. At the same time one of the big posters here sold one a while back and for a few k more it was like a fully specced museum grade piece. I guess it’s whether you know enough to comfortably buy outside the system.

The only real criticism I have is that the car sounds pretty rubbish and if that’s your thing you might want to factor in some exhaust either in money, the spec or find a CP car.

What kind of Subaru do you have? I’ll never forget in about 1999 when someone drove me over the Portsmouth hills in a chipped j import Impreza, even today I think it would whup everything.
hi and thanks for the reply, i know that the warranty will jump when the car reaches 60k thats why im going to haggle for 2 years warranty with it, i cover around 4k per year so not concerned too much about it.

ive already done some research on the exhaust and i think i will go with a backbox mod from pcw exhaust mods or modstock so it still looks stock when it goes in for a service.

ive had 3 impreza's over the last 9 years,my latest was a forged hawkeye sti with 354bhp and 400ftlbs, i sold it last summer though.i want to try something different now

regards
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 02:47 AM   #7
tinysM5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianm5 View Post
Adds: some of that spec listed in the advert requires paid subscription to work properly. I was annoyed when I found that out. Make sure the sat nav has the latest paid update too.
oohh i didnt know that thanks for the heads up
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 02:48 AM   #8
tinysM5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawker1986 View Post
Looks like the right questions, might be worth asking regarding life left in the tyres. Hardly a big deal but theyre not cheap and you might want an idea when the cost will be coming
good point
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 02:52 AM   #9
tinysM5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5rosco View Post
You are asking all the right questions.

Bare in mind its a low spec car. No nice seats, no 360 camera, no led headlights etc
yeah i understand mate but its £10k cheaper than a fully loaded car and i have to ask myself are the extras going to make a difference to the small amount of miles i do in the car.........probably not.

im quite a large guy over 6ft 7 and around 400lbs weight so im led to believe that the std seats would suit a built person over the M multi function seats.

360 camera i wouldnt use
adaptive headlights look great but more to go wrong in my opinion
i would have like the competition pack so thats a bummer

i would love a fully loaded one like this one but its £10k more and i cant stretch to it

https://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/vehicle/2...c-60e3c70fb098

thanks for replying buddy
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 06:04 AM   #10
J11SEK
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinysM5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawker1986 View Post
good point
Front discs don't look too great... look like originals and got a lip on them??? I'm currently purchasing front discs and pads for mine and so far I'm £1k in and that's only parts.... I knew this when buying mine 12months ago so tried to factor some of the cost into the deal!
Good luck with the purchase buddy! You will love it once you plant that throttle!
Appreciate 1
M5Rick60091.50
      01-24-2021, 06:52 AM   #11
tinysM5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J11SEK View Post
Front discs don't look too great... look like originals and got a lip on them??? I'm currently purchasing front discs and pads for mine and so far I'm £1k in and that's only parts.... I knew this when buying mine 12months ago so tried to factor some of the cost into the deal!
Good luck with the purchase buddy! You will love it once you plant that throttle!
ive just been sent over some service information so see what you think

running in service @ 1253 miles 27/03/2015

then as follows......

5/05/2016 @ 10814 miles - service 05348
11/04/2017 @18125 miles - service 05348
09/02/2018 @25439 miles - service 05348
nothing in 2019 which is strange
22/01/2020 @39265 miles - 05361
05/02/2020 @39481 miles - service 00000 (any ideas?)
31/12/2020 @42754 miles - service 08864

concerned about the lack of service in 2019 with 14k between oil changes thats insane, my impreza went 4k between oil changes. how can they offer a warranty on something thats missed its service?

rear brake pads have 35000 left on them obviously depending on driving style

front pads have 43000 miles left

brake fluid just been done

he just emailed me the discs measurements

34.1 Minimum - Actual 35.1

22.5 Minimum - Actual 23.3

whats it look like to you guys?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 07:01 AM   #12
tinysM5
Private
Rep

oh and i forgot its had 3 owners so far and tyres all have 7mm left
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 08:21 AM   #13
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

That missed oil change is a bug in the ointment apart from that it looks good. The adaptive lights are good if you live out of town and great for taking quick corners when pitch dark, well worth having.
Appreciate 1
J11SEK268.00
      01-24-2021, 08:32 AM   #14
tinysM5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
That missed oil change is a bug in the ointment apart from that it looks good. The adaptive lights are good if you live out of town and great for taking quick corners when pitch dark, well worth having.
thanks buddy, i spoke to the sales guy again about it and its not a missed service as its 2 years between services, he said if anything this car has had more oil changed than alot of m5's of the same year.

what do you think about the disc thickness?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 08:54 AM   #15
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
thanks buddy, i spoke to the sales guy again about it and its not a missed service as its 2 years between services, he said if anything this car has had more oil changed than alot of m5's of the same year.

what do you think about the disc thickness?
The common theme on the forum is that these motors need an engine oil/filter change every year or 5000mi whichever comes first. Don't take any notice of what BMW say or what comes up on the i-drive like waiting every two years is just too long.
The disc thickness looks fine for the mileage with the newly fitted pads it appears to have had, my M's on 38k miles and the original discs are slightly lipped so that's about right.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 10:38 AM   #16
tinysM5
Private
Rep

Quote:
The common theme on the forum is that these motors need an engine oil/filter change every year or 5000mi whichever comes first. Don't take any notice of what BMW say or what comes up on the i-drive like waiting every two years is just too long.
The disc thickness looks fine for the mileage with the newly fitted pads it appears to have had, my M's on 38k miles and the original discs are slightly lipped so that's about right.
yeah i wont listen to bmw mate dont worry, i will cover around 4k per year with no track work and it will have an oil service every year. just like the gearboxes that bmw say are sealed for life lol

still debating if its the car for me or not............
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 12:21 PM   #17
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
yeah i wont listen to bmw mate dont worry, i will cover around 4k per year with no track work and it will have an oil service every year. just like the gearboxes that bmw say are sealed for life lol

still debating if its the car for me or not............
Shame it hasn't got split/fold rear seats, that was an absolute must with mine with some of the things I lug.
I've had mine coming up to four years in March and have no inclination of selling it on for a while yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 12:32 PM   #18
tinysM5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Shame it hasn't got split/fold rear seats, that was an absolute must with mine with some of the things I lug.
I've had mine coming up to four years in March and have no inclination of selling it on for a while yet.
the only other two that take my fancy are these 2 but currently out of my price range unless i can get 3k knocked off, im hoping as its a buyers market right now and stock isnt shifting that i can take advantage of it

https://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/vehicle/2...3-fa7bc221693b

https://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/vehicle/2...7-a190d46d57e6
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 01:00 PM   #19
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
the only other two that take my fancy are these 2 but currently out of my price range unless i can get 3k knocked off, im hoping as its a buyers market right now and stock isnt shifting that i can take advantage of it

https://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/vehicle/2...3-fa7bc221693b

https://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/vehicle/2...7-a190d46d57e6
My one's Singapore grey, the only colour I was looking for with black soft Merino leather multifunction comfort seats, really worth having those. I bought it privately just 10 miles from me.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 01:14 PM   #20
tinysM5
Private
Rep

Quote:
My one's Singapore grey, the only colour I was looking for with black soft Merino leather multifunction comfort seats, really worth having those. I bought it privately just 10 miles from me.
from what ive read the M-multi function seats dont suit the larger person and im one of those persons

i do like singapore grey.have you modded yours at all? the temptation to take it to velocity tuning may prove too much for me lol
Appreciate 1
m5rosco210.50
      01-24-2021, 01:36 PM   #21
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
from what ive read the M-multi function seats dont suit the larger person and im one of those persons

i do like singapore grey.have you modded yours at all? the temptation to take it to velocity tuning may prove too much for me lol
Nope, standard 560 suits me fine just got 5mm spacers on the back wheels and had recent Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres fitted with 305's on the back for more traction, a popular upgrade. On the front wings the chrome surrounds on the side vents are carbon wrapped by a lot and on pre lci models the grille can be swapped for the double stacked one as well as the steering wheel replaced for the lci one as has been done on my '13 model.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 01:41 PM   #22
tinysM5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Nope, standard 560 suits me fine just got 5mm spacers on the back wheels and had recent Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres fitted with 305's on the back for more traction, a popular upgrade. On the front wings the chrome surrounds on the side vents are carbon wrapped by a lot and on pre lci models the grille can be swapped for the double stacked one as well as the steering wheel replaced for the lci one as has been done on my '13 model.
i find it very difficult to keep things standard, i was always doing something with my impreza's. i guess if i buy with a warranty im limited what i can modify.

thanks for all your input buddy, most helpful
Appreciate 1
M5Rick60091.50