M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding

11-05-2013, 09:28 PM   #23
mainly
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, '12 CLS63 Kleemann K3

does anyone know if you can get texts to appear on the idrive of a 2012 m5?

im on android BTW.

or is it just the 2013-14's ? i know i don't have the new idrive cause mines ONLY a 2012 model (thanks alot BMW)

and frankly Ive yet to see ANY usefulness to any of the tech features of the idrive.

i tried fiddling through all the menus and its like "what the hell is the point of all this shit? none of it works!!?

maybe its just the 2012's that got left in the dark?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #24
v12
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

@mainly: Yes, depending on the phone you use, you'll be able to get SMS displayed on the iDrive srceen. Check HERE on bmw.com for compatibility info.
SMS works for me with all my phones whether be Android or iOS.

@zzzmmm: You can always assign the the Messages screen to one of the 1-8 keys.
Go to Current Office > scroll down to highlight Messages with the controller (don't press it though) > press and hold down a key of your choice from the 1-8 for 2-3 seconds until you hear a sound.
You can do this for almost any item in the iDrive menu/ sub-menu, for instance the tire pressure screen, turning the screen on/ off etc.

Last edited by v12; 11-07-2013 at 09:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #25
mainly
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
@mainly: Yes, depending on the phone you use, you'll be able to get SMS displayed on the iDrive srceen. Check HERE on bmw.com for compatibility info.
SMS works for me with all my phones whether be Android or iOS.
yeah that doesnt really tell you anything...

but if im on android, shouldn't it be compatible with a all androids?

the compatible phones thing is kinda stupid. theres only android and iphone. thats it. ok windows phone but hardly anyone uses those. so if one iphone is compatible they all should be, and so for android... no?

anyway, i was able to access the messages on my android from the idrive screen through office, but ive never had a message appear on the idrive screen when it arrives. still trying to figure that one out.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #26
mainly
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

oh, and when i go to BMW apps it prompts me to insert a USB device. anyone know why that is?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 02:11 PM   #27
v12
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

Did you click the link, selected Canada etc.?

Here is the direct link to the BMW's "updated" list of supported phones and what functions can be used with the car:
http://www.bmw.ca/ca/en/owners/navig...ed_List_EN.pdf

Compatibility is a function of both the phone and car's software builds (version). Also during pairing you have to wait for the promts on the phone to allow acceas to contacts and messages.

what phone are you using?

And when it arrives, a SMS won't pop up on the iDrive screen. You'll get an envelope near the cell signal strength bars.

Example for the S4:

Last edited by v12; 11-08-2013 at 07:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 04:21 AM   #28
dtelfer
Registered
Rep
Drives: E93 2008 velvet blue champagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdernst View Post
Yes. The "catch" is Dragon Drive is a subscription service. You can start the service in the car and get 60 days free but eventually you have to go to their web site and subscribe. I believe it's $39/yr.

Also, I can't speak for whether or not this is available internationally - I can only tell you it is available in the U.S.

Mike
I just took delivery of a 2016 F33 in the UK, and can confirm you get a two month free trial. the annual subscription in £19.95 according to the email they send me this morning (Jun 2016).
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 10:57 PM   #29
speedemn
Rep
Drives: Various - V8 - 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
1. Get iOS 6

2. On the phone, go to Settings > Bluetooth > the blue arrow for your car's profile. Turn on "Show Notifications".

3. Under Settings > Notifications, make sure texts and emails are set to have some type of alert or banner, and are enabled for the lock screen if you want both. Note that email delivery to iDrive is spotty right now, though I kept emails off since I don't want to ruin my car by turning it into yet another place I'm plagued with email anyway.

4. Go to www.bmw.com/update and download any iDrive Bluetooth update that may be available there to install in your car.

Only NEW texts and/or emails that you receive while the phone's display is off will show up on iDrive, under ConnectedDrive > Messages. And they'll be auto-deleted from iDrive (but not the phone) when you turn the car off. There's no manual way to delete them from the display or the phone using the car.
Thanks for this. Step 2 is key (all are of course but I have notifications on my SMS messages app on my iPhone but I had to turn on notifications on the bluetooth settings for the car in my iPhone - your step 2).

I am now finally getting text messages to my iDrive Office system however I can only have it read to me and all the other buttons such as reply are greyed out.

?!

Of course still no emails on the iPhone. I am using iPhone 5S with iOS 9.3.4
GONE: 2003 540i/6 black sapphire on black
BBS RG-R, CDV, DINAN Exhaust, RSB, RSTB, SSK, FSTB, CAI, TB, MAF, Stage 4 software
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 07:56 AM   #30
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedemn View Post
Thanks for this. Step 2 is key (all are of course but I have notifications on my SMS messages app on my iPhone but I had to turn on notifications on the bluetooth settings for the car in my iPhone - your step 2).

I am now finally getting text messages to my iDrive Office system however I can only have it read to me and all the other buttons such as reply are greyed out.

?!

Of course still no emails on the iPhone. I am using iPhone 5S with iOS 9.3.4
Pretty sure email support was removed entirely shortly after it was introduced. Replying to a text I believe requires support from the phone and iOS doesn't support it, perhaps as a deliberate safety measure. The only reply functionality I've seen anywhere involves dictation where the car passes voice through to Siri, but the E9x cars don't do that. Sorry, but glad the rest is working!

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 09:59 PM   #31
speedemn
Rep
Drives: Various - V8 - 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Pretty sure email support was removed entirely shortly after it was introduced. Replying to a text I believe requires support from the phone and iOS doesn't support it, perhaps as a deliberate safety measure. The only reply functionality I've seen anywhere involves dictation where the car passes voice through to Siri, but the E9x cars don't do that. Sorry, but glad the rest is working!
I have full email support (read-out and reply-dictation) with my blackberry. No email support at all with my iPhone.

I have full text support (read-out and reply-dictation) with my blackberry. My phone only reads out texts.

I have read various other threads with people getting their iphones fully integrated but that was in earlier years with previous iOS but if it was possible for iDrive to crack in to the Apple ecosystem in the past I don't think that ability would go away with later iOS releases unless they just got lucky.

Anyone with iOS 9 or later who have full integration working?
GONE: 2003 540i/6 black sapphire on black
BBS RG-R, CDV, DINAN Exhaust, RSB, RSTB, SSK, FSTB, CAI, TB, MAF, Stage 4 software
Appreciate 0