M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

05-06-2020, 01:23 PM   #177
Soul Performance Products
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / 987.2 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysf10m5 View Post
I ordered mine off the site looking forward to the arrival!
Thank you! Please let us know your feedback once it's installed!

-Mike
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 02:36 AM   #178
jaysf10m5
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Performance Products View Post
Thank you! Please let us know your feedback once it's installed!

-Mike
So installed in my garage. I didn't video or photo the job.

I did it without jacking up the car. I just drove up on some wood planks 1.5 inches thick. It wasn't enough so i jacked each side up and placed 2x4's under each as well so about 3 inch left and I was able to complete the job laying on my back.

Step one is unbolt grounding straps.
Then start cutting.

At first the dimples in the factory exhaust were not as noticeable as I thought they would be but once found a Sawzaw made pretty quick work of the exhaust piping.

From there spray the hangers with WD40 let it sit a min.
Pull the mufflers off and disconnect the vacuum tubing.

Install of the SOUL system was easy the whole thing took me about 2 hours.
The hardest part is figuring out which depth I wanted the tips at. I would say I spent about an hour or so just messing with different set ups.

The Soul Exhaust sounds good. Deep but not like an American muscle car. When you are just cruising around it isn't annoyingly loud. When you get on the gas though she really screams.

The workmanship on the system is great. Welds are super clean fit and finish is perfect.

Now if only Soul made a cold air system and upgraded air chargers. =)
future mods:
Cold air intake, down pipes, tune
Appreciate 3
      05-07-2020, 09:21 AM   #179
Banned
United_States
Rep

Awesome, thank you for the review - glad you are happy!

While our focus is exhaust, we have a lot of partners in the industry and offer many third party components to enhance your setup, just let us know what you need!

-Mike
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 08:09 AM   #180
A3ch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 X5 M, 14 BMW M5

Have you guys ever thought about titanium tips (with the burnt finish)? Just curious. I have been doing some homework on exhausts and it appears this car really just needs an axle back.
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2020, 08:32 AM   #181
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by A3ch View Post
Have you guys ever thought about titanium tips (with the burnt finish)? Just curious. I have been doing some homework on exhausts and it appears this car really just needs an axle back.
We could likely do it, it would just be expensive.

-Mike
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 02:00 PM   #182
Banned
United_States
Rep

We always consider our existing products for continued improvement. We've made strides in our bending capabilities and will be eliminating a weld from each pipe for an even better product! We're also continuing to look into a cast Y section that offers great flow without being too heavy.

-Mike
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 02:05 PM   #183
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysf10m5 View Post
I ordered mine off the site looking forward to the arrival!
Here's your system being finished!

-Mike
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 01:53 AM   #184
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

Quote:
Here's your system being finished!

-Mike
Nice to see someone actually purging the pipe .
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2020, 03:18 PM   #185
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaynos View Post
Nice to see someone actually purging the pipe .
Thank you! We use that good stuff.

-Mike
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 03:40 PM   #186
Banned
United_States
Rep

Here's an unpacking and installation video of our Resonated Muffler Bypass Exhaust!

-Mike
Appreciate 1
Fast.F10513.50
      06-19-2020, 03:07 PM   #187
Fast.F10
Extruding Elements
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M5 Comp

Garage List
2016 BMW M5 F10  [0.00]
Quote:
Here's an unpacking and installation video of our Resonated Muffler Bypass Exhaust!

-Mike
Before start
Before rev
After start

No after rev...this would of completed the puzzle...
2006 BMW M5
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 03:17 PM   #188
Fast.F10
Extruding Elements
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M5 Comp

Garage List
2016 BMW M5 F10  [0.00]
"Soul Performance Products has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space"

nooooooo....MONICA!!!!
2006 BMW M5
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2020, 08:58 AM   #189
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast.F10 View Post
"Soul Performance Products has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space"

nooooooo....MONICA!!!!
Sorry I have cleared out our inbox!

-Mike
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 04:05 PM   #190
Banned
United_States
Rep

In conjunction with a weld elimination in May, we're finally rolling out our cast Y section! This will yield better interior flow with the smooth wall path and edged interior. The thicker walls may yield a very slight increase in drone reduction.

We thank everyone for supporting us and in turn we'll continue to refine present and future products.

-Mike
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 11:39 AM   #191
SpeedProtocol
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F10 M5 - '21 F90 M5

so much want.

seems like the perfect solution for me because the rest of the exhaust isnt worth replacing.

waiting for brakes to show up first. one thing at a time. ha.
Appreciate 2
      06-25-2020, 03:18 PM   #192
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droner View Post
so much want.

seems like the perfect solution for me because the rest of the exhaust isnt worth replacing.

waiting for brakes to show up first. one thing at a time. ha.
Thank you! We're ready when you are!

-Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 10:20 PM   #193
Doctor_X
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 CP - 2022 M5 CS

Garage List
2015 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5 CS  [0.00]
Ordered a black PVD single wall slash cut kit, excited for its arrival!

Thanks a bunch Mike for the assistance!

Can’t wait to see the new cast collector in action
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2020, 12:51 PM   #194
Speedy38
Rep
Drives: Bmw 550i

Wil this fit on a 550i N63 engine? very interested
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 08:13 PM   #195
Doctor_X
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 CP - 2022 M5 CS

Garage List
2015 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5 CS  [0.00]
Cast collector wuuuuuuttttt! Thanks Mike for the build progress pic!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Ickdeep5718.50
      07-24-2020, 09:28 AM   #196
Merlin_83
Merlin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW M3 6MT w/ZCP

Garage List
2012 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
In conjunction with a weld elimination in May, we're finally rolling out our cast Y section! This will yield better interior flow with the smooth wall path and edged interior. The thicker walls may yield a very slight increase in drone reduction.

We thank everyone for supporting us and in turn we'll continue to refine present and future products.

-Mike
Why does the welder connect the ends to 'purge' the pipe while welding? Is it Argon gas to make the weld purer? I for whatever reason follow a few welding and mechanical people on IG and see these 'purge' pipe connectors when they are welding with TIG or MIG.

Thank you,
Merlin

2012 E92 M3 ZCP | 2008 E90 335xi | 2008 E90 335i |
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 11:57 AM   #197
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy38 View Post
Wil this fit on a 550i N63 engine? very interested
We are looking for a local 550i to adapt our system, but as it stands you would need the M5 rear lower valance for it to work and some adjustment might be needed. We have had people do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin_83 View Post
Why does the welder connect the ends to 'purge' the pipe while welding? Is it Argon gas to make the weld purer? I for whatever reason follow a few welding and mechanical people on IG and see these 'purge' pipe connectors when they are welding with TIG or MIG.

Thank you,
Merlin
You are correct, we back purge with argon gas.

Below you see three welds that look very similar on the outside – but inside it’s a very different story! Proper TIG welding technique is not just about achieving a great stack of dimes on the outside of the piping, but more importantly about penetration and preservation – making sure the back of the weld is functionally sound.

Back purging is the process of shielding the inside of the weld with an inert gas to prevent contamination during the welding process, resulting in a stronger weld.

Wikipedia extrapolates on this statement: “Stainless steels, duplex steels, titanium-, nickel- and zirconium- alloys are sensitive to the presence of air, oxygen, hydrogen, water vapour and other vapours and gases that may combine with the hot metal as it is being joined.

Such gases may combine with the metal to form undesirable compounds that may reduce corrosion resistance or may be instrumental in creating cracks or other structural defects in metals.”

The rate of oxidation in metal progresses more rapidly as temperature increases – to a very high level during welding. Back purging prevents this from happening. An inert gas does not undergo chemical reactions and prevents rapid oxidation while the stainless is in a molten state.

Argon, a noble gas, is the most commonly used shielding gas in TIG welding. It offers a very stable arc allowing a skilled fabricator great control over the resulting weld.

As part of the welding process, the welding torch is designed to emit shielding gas to protect the front of the weld. Different cups offer different gas patterns as seen below in a still below from a demonstrative video, but ultimately the goal is to shield the weld from oxidation and the negative effects explained above. This is how you can have a weld that looks great on the outside with the interior of the welding looking much different. To protect the inside of the weld, back purging is necessary – but not always done.

Here’s an example of SOUL using back purging during the fabrication process. Our fabricator has plugged the ends of this 991.2 Carrera Cat Bypass Pipe and Argon gas is being pumped from a gas cylinder at a controlled rate through the inside of the piping. It takes some time to displace the ambient air with the inert gas before the welding can begin.

Now that you’re aware of what back purging is and why it’s done, let’s go over a few examples of different welding scenarios with and without it to give you a better idea of why it is used.

Weld 1: Lack Of Penetration (No Back Purging)

This butt weld shows a lack of full penetration, leaving the root gap exposed. During the welding process this gap can allow for a better, stronger weld. Left unfilled, it can attract moisture and corrode quicker than the rest of the exhaust system. Without full penetration in this butt joint, this is a weak weld with reduced strength – it’s a point of failure. Below is an example of weld that failed from lack of full penetration.

This weld can result from high amp / low duration settings with no back purging. The blackened surface consists of oxides of chrome, iron, and nickel – effectively the rust resistant properties of the stainless steel are being burnt out of it.

Weld 2: Sugaring (No Back Purging)

Sugaring / granulation / contamination is extreme oxidation of the back side of a stainless weld. This weld has penetration but is also heavily oxidized due to lack of a shielding gas. While this weld has full penetration it is not as strong as a back purged weld and is also a point of potential rust and / or failure under stress. To a mild effect sugaring also interrupts exhaust flow.

Sugaring is often a rejectable defect in medical / food industries as the texture can trap bacteria.

Weld 3: Back Purged Weld

In the end strength, longevity, and minimal impact of flow are the end goals of a back purged weld. This weld was done with the same settings as the weld above but was back purged with Argon. The inert gas prevents burning and contamination for a visibly different weld. There is full penetration with no contamination on the backside. Not only is it beautiful and well done, but it is quite strong.

We’re proud to weld to the highest possible standards by back purging our welds whenever possible and we’re proud to incorporate Airgas ARCAL™ Prime argon into the process. Argon is an excellent shielding gas and is available in many blends for back purging. Airgas ARCAL™ Prime has an extremely high purity at 99.998% Ar with H2O<10ppm. This increases our internal cost of producing components but results in the best possible weld, and the best possible welds result in the smoothest flow and the best durability. Our commitment to quality and excellent customer service is considered in as many aspects of how we business as possible – every detail matters – even .001 percent of a gas.

-Mike
Appreciate 4
      07-29-2020, 12:36 PM   #198
SpeedProtocol
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F10 M5 - '21 F90 M5

Learned something here. Great reply.
Appreciate 1