M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > F10 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery

03-23-2013, 06:00 AM   #67
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6-Spd Manual MCB M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsc23 View Post
Currently sitting in the WELT Premium lounge with 11 minutes to my delivery. For those coming for ED, Id highly recommend the Dingolfing Plant Tour, pretty amazing.
Have you gone on that Dingolfing tour? People who went on the tour during my ED in October (this was on the same day for my actual delivery) complained that it was not like the Munich plant tour (where the 3-series are built) which was much better. I did not go as I came on the exact date of the delivery due to BMW schedule changes. I was told that it was more of an M5 explanation tour where they had some BMW Engineers gather the participants and look over the guts of the M5 in a raised platform, questions were asked and answered -- but none of the "real" plant tour where one gets to see how the M5 series are built from basic metal frame to the final product which the Munich plant tour (that I had) shows and explains in step-by-step detail how the 3-series cars are built.

It could be that for that particular tour on that date (for some BMW reason) was setup that way. Anyway, it would be nice if we could get details from others who did a Dingolfing tour.
      03-23-2013, 02:06 PM   #68
Scott_in_FL
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 Nissan GTR

As several know, we're also in Europe right now (Bologna, Italy digesting at this very second from a full day cooking class... for the wife, folks... for the wife ) and our ED is Thursday, so I'm also interested in hearing more about how the Munich tour compares to Dingolfing.

We're currently only scheduled for Munich, but would love to try doing Dingolfing too of it is really worth it.

Patsc23, post up some pics! I'm gettin' antsy over here
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #69
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

I've done both several times and the Dingolfing tour is different to the Munich tour.

The Munich plant tour is more orchestrated and sticks to a pre-defined path/agenda .

The Dingolfing tour is a walk-through of the live plant with stops in various places (including
paint shop and if time/situation permits even the RR body shop).

The Dingolfing tour is much more of an individual experience than the Munich tour which is designed for large groups and throughput.
Also the tour across the Dingolfing plant allows for custom times/group sizes etc , it also tends to be a much longer walk (+3mls) than the Munich tour.
Both are great and it really depends on ones preferences (I like the aspect of the Dingolfing tour taking one "off the beaten path" and if you're lucky you may even see a few prototypes too (we did see the 4 series and 3GT last year in October)
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #70
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_in_FL View Post
As several know, we're also in Europe right now (Bologna, Italy digesting at this very second from a full day cooking class... for the wife, folks... for the wife ) and our ED is Thursday, so I'm also interested in hearing more about how the Munich tour compares to
I did not get the chance to do the Munich tour since my delivery was on a Saturday. As for Dingolfing, Im not a big fan of groups so I booked aprivate tour for just my wife and I (100 Eur plus tax with CCA card) and it was pretty amazing for me. The plant itself works until 10pm so despite starting the tour at 5pm we still got to see all the robots and workers on the line. We started in the paint shop where we watched 5ers, 6ers, and 7ers being painted. The robots are fascinating, watching them closing doors and articulating their way around different models w/o reprograming. From there we went to the welding shop where on the way we happened to come across a carrier where we watched 4 RR Phantom aluminum bodies getting loaded for shipment to England. The welding shop was essentially all robots doing work, with few workers making sure the robots are running smoothly. We watched as small parts were welded into larger parts all the way into one final welded frame. The final stop was assembly - here we watched the cars go from a bare frame to its marriage with the engine. We walked the entire line as workers inserted seats, dashboards, steering wheels, etc. I even learned that drinking beer (available at the vending machines) is permitted while you work!

Although I cant compare it to Munich, there wasnt any fluff in Dingolfing, it was just the guts of the plant and how they operate, a must do for any BMW fan I think. Just walking around Welt today Im pretty sure I would not have liked the tour as much as there were so many tours, groups, tourists and kids. Since Dingolfing is a real plant experience and by appointmentonly, noone under 14 is allowed (nothing against kids, but if I'm doing a BMW factory tour, I dont want to hear screaming and crying). Thanks to JMH as I believe I booked this on his recommendation. Although I didnt get to see any M's built, I did see two completed M6 Gran Coupes going through the roads test simulations.

As JMH said, we also spotted two test mules in camo tape, no idea what they were. And I also saw what I thought was an X3M. It had the M stripes, quad tips, but no badging.

Sorry working off my phone so no pics to post yet, but ED was a blast, and now the wait. We spent 7 days eating in Italy as well, so detox is in order when I get back. Overall an amazing experience, but thanks to a stop at the Panerai store in Florence Ive already spent double my ED discount on this trip, guess no exhaust for me!

Last edited by PatrickC23; 03-23-2013 at 05:43 PM..
Appreciate 0