M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

09-07-2023, 07:58 AM   #1
SlimM5
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Comp

Garage List
  [0.00]
So a day ago, my M5C dinged me for a customary quart of oil top up. I obliged. However, I also had to change the goopy driver's side door handle and forgot to close the cap for the oil refill.

What a silly and almost costly mistake! Anyway, I proceeded to drive the next day with the cap stuck under the hood and not covered. Needless to say, my engine light came on on my drive home. I kept wondering what could the problem be, considering I didn't have my scanner. Then it hit me. . . . "Did I cover the oil fill opening?" Eff me!! Sure enough, that's the 1st thing I checked and the cap is sitting right in front of the engine on top of the brace. How the heck do I make a mistake like that?!

Some oil pumped out and made a mess of the components on that side, but not too terrible. Checked the levels and lost maybe half a quart of the oil I put in. I ran a diagnostic and cleared the CEL. All is good now.

Now, a day later, I'm having chills thinking about the potential catastrophe that could have happened. Whew! Lost my e60 M5 to rod bearings and don't want to go through that again.

Always check your covers after refills. Don't make this rookie mistake.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick60090.50
Mdriv3r148.50
      09-07-2023, 09:11 AM   #2
M5_Brandoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black sapphire M5

This happen to me before. Luckily I didn’t drive far ! Cell popped on and immediately something told me to check under the hood.
M5Rick60090.50
      09-07-2023, 09:27 AM   #3
Blaxwil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

There are two mesaages that I never want to see pop up on the screen. Drivetrain Malfunction and Low Oil.

I feel like the car was starving enough to let you know she needs oil.

Be careful out there !!!!
Appreciate 2
SlimM572.00
M5Rick60090.50
      09-07-2023, 10:01 PM   #4
SlimM5
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Comp

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaxwil View Post
There are two mesaages that I never want to see pop up on the screen. Drivetrain Malfunction and Low Oil.

I feel like the car was starving enough to let you know she needs oil.

Be careful out there !!!!
And I'm so glad it did and gave me ample time to resolve it before it became a major issue. Whew!

Already had the drivetrain malfunction, but the repairable type. (Fuel injector-under warranty & spark plug ignition coil). That's enough for my peace of mind.
Appreciate 0