M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Cosmetic Maintenance (wash/wax, protection, repairs)

07-10-2018, 02:09 PM   #1
hirkaismyname
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: In Decision x5m/m3

Steering Wheel Restoration to Factory Look + Alcantara

I am looking for a process in which I can restore the f10 m5 steering wheel back to its original, factory, matte feel & look.

All the detailing videos I have seen generally use a leather cleaner & a brush to agitate the leather's pores, and wipe clean. To some extent even steam machines; however, whenever the leather is conditioned (per conventional good detailing) the shine comes right back.

Are there products in the market that leave a steering wheel matte conditioned? Further, any good leather steering wheel cleaning products & methods I may employ for the best results?

Lastly, I am thinking of switching the steering wheel to alcantara M sports steering wheel (the electronic one). How does one go about maintaining/cleaning one of those?

Thank you all!
Best,
H
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 11:19 AM   #2
hirkaismyname
Private First Class
Rep

Bump!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 08:45 AM   #3
hirkaismyname
Private First Class
Rep

Lol...please?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 06:36 PM   #4
M5_Brandoe
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black sapphire M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirkaismyname View Post
Lol...please?
Haha.

Bump for you. You need to keep them hands clean. I would be interested in this also, for the future.
      07-21-2018, 08:51 AM   #5
hirkaismyname
Private First Class
Rep

M5_Brandoe I hear "Leather Masters" from Detailers Domain (website) is a pretty solid cleaner. Further they have a "matte" conditioner that leaves the leather without a shine but with a condition.

I've also researched SwissVax and heard good things about them as well. I'll test it out and keep you posted.

I'm kind of not motivated to clean the leather given that the vehicle is a lease; however, the steering wheel is an absolute MUST. So, I'll be trying both out very soon.

Thanks,
H
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2018, 12:37 PM   #6
Lennon997
Private
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirkaismyname View Post
M5_Brandoe I hear "Leather Masters" from Detailers Domain (website) is a pretty solid cleaner. Further they have a "matte" conditioner that leaves the leather without a shine but with a condition.

I've also researched SwissVax and heard good things about them as well. I'll test it out and keep you posted.

I'm kind of not motivated to clean the leather given that the vehicle is a lease; however, the steering wheel is an absolute MUST. So, I'll be trying both out very soon.

Thanks,
H
lol good to know......even on a lease you wont clean and condition the leather once a year? thats pretty poor.

OP.....

the short answer to your question is you will never get it back to original luster and condition, ever...... You can either replace the wheel with an OEM leather or replace with alcantara or the m performance wheel.

In keeping suede clean, wash your hands before you touch....you can use a coating (think ceramic pro or even a product you would use on suede shoes), spray and let it dry, this will create a barrier.

Also with alcantara/suede, there are specific cleaners made to clean it but IMO and in 10 years of doing this for fun i find that using a terry rag with water cleans the suede the best. You then brush it down to keep it consistent and let it dry.

for your OEM current wheel..... if you can take it out the car do it. leave it (with no electronics and no airbag) in direct sunlight. this will start to open the pores on the leather. Use a good cleaner (i like leatherique pristine clean personally) with new microfiber towels, one to apply and one to wipe.

Let it continue to sit in the sun while it drys out, you can then apply a leather conditioner (as other mentioned ones that leave a matte finish, or a leatherique rejuvinator.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 03:54 PM   #7
hirkaismyname
Private First Class
Rep

Lennon997 broke as ever
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 07:24 PM   #8
Vancouver_M5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 M5 Sedan

So I just bought a 2012 M5 from a BMW dealership and there was some wear or scratches or dirt on the wheel. It was rather rough in some spots. I got the dealer to fix it before I buy and they took it to some local leather repair place. The wheel was actually in not bad shape considering it's age and it had been cleaned or else it would have been more shiny but after the leather repair was finished it, it was practically new. I mean it was completely the right color, and completely matte. The texture I would say is almost identical to a brand new wheel in the showroom. I was shocked. I don't think they replaced the leather because the turn around was same day and it would be probably more expensive. So maybe check around your local dealer and ask if they have a guy that refinishes leather. It is possible.
Appreciate 0