M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

11-30-2020, 12:19 PM   #23
eritF30
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 340i xdrive

Had a set in my last M5 for over 6k miles and have had zero issues with them.
Was the reset and break in procedure done after installation?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 07:31 AM   #24
RockNDoc
M5 Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxixt View Post
Hello to everyone! I want to give full review about ssp production . l have bought ssp spec r for my m6 installed it , for first almost 3000km everything seemed to be ok, after about 2850km car started to move when you are in mdm mode and standing on 1 gear, after few km more ,when swiching first or reverse gearbox started to hit . Ok removing clutch and what we see, all plates are ok exept two plates, metal plate bended in one place and started to overheat friction plate .After detailed defectation we saw that ssp plates are made not accurate every spline is very sharp and basicly it can cought on basket any second .Compared oem plates to ssp, ssp is made from cheap steal and without any additional macheaning to make splines accurate and precise. Sent all photos to ssp, for a few days Kris were telling that everything and everyone guilty exept his garbage clutch , after he finaly asked to ship clutch pack to him for warranty repair , to get it back I waited 2 weeks (he got it in few days because i have sent with express) After I got pack back I was realy mad when I saw his "repair" , he gave only one new friction plate and two metal plates he just smashed with something to make them straight and grinded with 80 sandpaper at least it looks like so. Besides every "repared " plate size were jumping about 0.02-0.0035mm by circle .Calling Kris, useless he is not answering, sending pics on wats up , finaly answered - everything ok just put inside, Im telling that i dont like this plates i dont think that it would work- ok i will sent new plates if you want. Serious? And wait 3 weeks more , i dont understand it was so hard to put 2 new plates wtf? After few hour discussion Kris told to put as it is with words that he measured everything and it will work perfect. Putting all back, new oil, filters, adaptations all by his own instructions and what do you think? Clutch works like crap put 1 gear , pause then hit from gearbox, then car moves .Same with reverse and plus when driving and putting off foot from gas pedal there is noise from clutch. Looks like Kris making clearence of this clutches two fingers between moon and stars. Ok I told about situation to Kris , he told that clutch was installed incorrect and he dont care about anything ,no warranty and no refund. So guys I advice not to buy this garbage , othervice you will throw your money togeather with ssp clutch to garbage can.
Worst attitude and quality i have ever met.
Unfortunately replacing my stock OEM clutch with the SSP Spec R has been the biggest and most costly mistake I've ever made! After much research, and all the great reviews, I purchased the complete clutch set up directly from Kris... including billet baskets... for my M5 which makes around 630 hp at the wheels. Also went for the larger capacity transmission pan. Sent my OEM clutch to Kris, for him to build and received back after 2 weeks... this was LAST June. My very experience Indi BMW guru installed... normal adaptation with ISIS... all seemed good except for new noise when engine running but in N. Readapted trans with ISIS Noise went away, only to come back after ~ 100 miles but would go away under light load. Kris assured it was OK and occurred sometimes during break in, so we continued gentle break in process. Put another 300 miles on car gently driving around town to complete trans adaptation. Then drove car additional 600 miles, mainly highway. Needed to pass... first time under full throttle... immediately lost 2,4,6 the gears and master drivetrain fault. Shipped car back to Indi shop. Clutch completely trashed with warped plates (first time we took a look). Shipped back to Kris... reluctantly replaced clutch under "warranty" but said that was it... no more warranty. We opened clutch this time before install to verify correct assembly... found OLD OEM baskets... not the expensive billet ones I paid for! Doesn't say much for quality control. After some discussion with Kris he sent correct baskets and my Indi built clutch and verified all parameters. It's very tight with the extra plates but everything within spec. Now comes the even bigger problem... Despite thoroughly clean transmission, it would never adapt again. As you may know, the Getrag is not serviceable but we did finally trace at least part of problem to a pressure release valve in the housing that is not accessible and likely full of residual clutch material from the original shelling. We have finally sourced a used transmission for replacement and will go back to the stock OEM clutches. This has been a 9 month nightmare!! While many seem to have no issues with their SSP clutches, there are enough of us out there with catastrophic failures that raise serious doubt about quality control and consistency of this product which is sourced from who know where! Save yourself a lot of $$$$... stick with stock clutches and replace as needed... you will be a lot happier! I certainly wish I had!!!
Appreciate 2
M5_Raz511.00
boots620.00
      04-04-2021, 08:19 AM   #25
Blaxwil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockNDoc View Post
Quote:
Hello to everyone! I want to give full review about ssp production . l have bought ssp spec r for my m6 installed it , for first almost 3000km everything seemed to be ok, after about 2850km car started to move when you are in mdm mode and standing on 1 gear, after few km more ,when swiching first or reverse gearbox started to hit . Ok removing clutch and what we see, all plates are ok exept two plates, metal plate bended in one place and started to overheat friction plate .After detailed defectation we saw that ssp plates are made not accurate every spline is very sharp and basicly it can cought on basket any second .Compared oem plates to ssp, ssp is made from cheap steal and without any additional macheaning to make splines accurate and precise. Sent all photos to ssp, for a few days Kris were telling that everything and everyone guilty exept his garbage clutch , after he finaly asked to ship clutch pack to him for warranty repair , to get it back I waited 2 weeks (he got it in few days because i have sent with express) After I got pack back I was realy mad when I saw his "repair" , he gave only one new friction plate and two metal plates he just smashed with something to make them straight and grinded with 80 sandpaper at least it looks like so. Besides every "repared " plate size were jumping about 0.02-0.0035mm by circle .Calling Kris, useless he is not answering, sending pics on wats up , finaly answered - everything ok just put inside, Im telling that i dont like this plates i dont think that it would work- ok i will sent new plates if you want. Serious? And wait 3 weeks more , i dont understand it was so hard to put 2 new plates wtf? After few hour discussion Kris told to put as it is with words that he measured everything and it will work perfect. Putting all back, new oil, filters, adaptations all by his own instructions and what do you think? Clutch works like crap put 1 gear , pause then hit from gearbox, then car moves .Same with reverse and plus when driving and putting off foot from gas pedal there is noise from clutch. Looks like Kris making clearence of this clutches two fingers between moon and stars. Ok I told about situation to Kris , he told that clutch was installed incorrect and he dont care about anything ,no warranty and no refund. So guys I advice not to buy this garbage , othervice you will throw your money togeather with ssp clutch to garbage can.
Unfortunately replacing my stock OEM clutch with the SSP Spec R has been the biggest and most costly mistake I've ever made! After much research, and all the great reviews, I purchased the complete clutch set up directly from Kris... including billet baskets... for my M5 which makes around 630 hp at the wheels. Also went for the larger capacity transmission pan. Sent my OEM clutch to Kris, for him to build and received back after 2 weeks... this was LAST June. My very experience Indi BMW guru installed... normal adaptation with ISIS... all seemed good except for new noise when engine running but in N. Readapted trans with ISIS Noise went away, only to come back after ~ 100 miles but would go away under light load. Kris assured it was OK and occurred sometimes during break in, so we continued gentle break in process. Put another 300 miles on car gently driving around town to complete trans adaptation. Then drove car additional 600 miles, mainly highway. Needed to pass... first time under full throttle... immediately lost 2,4,6 the gears and master drivetrain fault. Shipped car back to Indi shop. Clutch completely trashed with warped plates (first time we took a look). Shipped back to Kris... reluctantly replaced clutch under "warranty" but said that was it... no more warranty. We opened clutch this time before install to verify correct assembly... found OLD OEM baskets... not the expensive billet ones I paid for! Doesn't say much for quality control. After some discussion with Kris he sent correct baskets and my Indi built clutch and verified all parameters. It's very tight with the extra plates but everything within spec. Now comes the even bigger problem... Despite thoroughly clean transmission, it would never adapt again. As you may know, the Getrag is not serviceable but we did finally trace at least part of problem to a pressure release valve in the housing that is not accessible and likely full of residual clutch material from the original shelling. We have finally sourced a used transmission for replacement and will go back to the stock OEM clutches. This has been a 9 month nightmare!! While many seem to have no issues with their SSP clutches, there are enough of us out there with catastrophic failures that raise serious doubt about quality control and consistency of this product which is sourced from who know where! Save yourself a lot of $$$$... stick with stock clutches and replace as needed... you will be a lot happier! I certainly wish I had!!!
You send this as I thought I was going to pull the trigger on an SSP clutch today. My biggest concern is finding a capable shop to perform the work.

What about the customer service? Also does SSP offer instal service or do they only sell the product?

Appreciate the write up.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 11:07 AM   #26
warpeacelove
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaxwil View Post
You send this as I thought I was going to pull the trigger on an SSP clutch today. My biggest concern is finding a capable shop to perform the work.

What about the customer service? Also does SSP offer instal service or do they only sell the product?

Appreciate the write up.
Sticking with stock for now. Kris has to fix this horror ordeals.
Appreciate 1
boots620.00
      04-04-2021, 04:09 PM   #27
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaxwil View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Appreciate the write up.
I spoke to Carbahn about this. They use the stock clutches on their 1000+hp engines due to the 2+ year unlimited mileage warranty from BMW. They said the stock new ones have the least slip, even compared to SSP. I'd also go to them for the install since I think you're in California.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 07:42 PM   #28
Doctor_X
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 CP - 2022 M5 CS

Garage List
2015 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5 CS  [0.00]
I did a ton of research before deciding to pull the trigger on SSP.

After talking with Kris a metric shit ton prior to install, I gathered that there is not an insignificant variability in install quality, relearning procedures, and driver break in habits.

Kris sent an extremely detailed set of install instructions that outline every single step, including relearning.

In addition, following the first 500mi of break in, the clutches are to go through the relearning process again prior to returning to full performance. Driver is to put the car in DSC3 and DSC off, and not to exceed 3500 rpm’s for the entire break in period.

Every Indy is a “guru,” every driver who reports problems states they followed the break in procedure to the t. Kris says the variability is just too significant to understand where/how things were done incorrectly, which makes total sense.

My brother is a BMW master tech. He is wary of 99% of other shops and mechanics. I took mine to Parts Score in Phoenix for install, they had done 11 SSP installs prior to mine in high horsepower applications and they have reported zero issues.

I think the real concern is probably not the clutch quality or the specific manufacturer, but the install quality and driver adherence to the strict break in and post break in repeat relearning.

Once everything is fully broken in, and after I get some miles on the new high HP setup - I’ll report back. I have no reservation to report exactly what I find.

There are significantly more success stories than nightmares regarding the SSP. I think a couple failures definitely shouldn’t define which clutch you decide to go with. I also think claiming that OEM clutches can hold 4 digit power is absolutely absurd. I have been running 640whp for 8mos and my clutches were slipping less than 3mos after the power adders were installed. I have zero faith in the capability of the stock clutch.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 12:20 PM   #29
RockNDoc
M5 Driver
United_States
Rep

SSP will take your clutch and rebuild with their parts and send back to you. Thats what I did the first time which gives you a 6 month warranty. There's a shop in Houston that installs SSP clutches and a few more scattered around the country. The most important thing is that the shop you use has a BMW computer to do a correct transmission adaptation after the install. Unfortunately none of this will save you from inferior parts and engineering and you too may be buying yourself a new transmission! Use at your own risk!

Last edited by RockNDoc; 04-05-2021 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: Txt error
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 03:19 PM   #30
RockNDoc
M5 Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_X View Post
I did a ton of research before deciding to pull the trigger on SSP.

After talking with Kris a metric shit ton prior to install, I gathered that there is not an insignificant variability in install quality, relearning procedures, and driver break in habits.

Kris sent an extremely detailed set of install instructions that outline every single step, including relearning.

In addition, following the first 500mi of break in, the clutches are to go through the relearning process again prior to returning to full performance. Driver is to put the car in DSC3 and DSC off, and not to exceed 3500 rpm’s for the entire break in period.

Every Indy is a “guru,” every driver who reports problems states they followed the break in procedure to the t. Kris says the variability is just too significant to understand where/how things were done incorrectly, which makes total sense.

My brother is a BMW master tech. He is wary of 99% of other shops and mechanics. I took mine to Parts Score in Phoenix for install, they had done 11 SSP installs prior to mine in high horsepower applications and they have reported zero issues.

I think the real concern is probably not the clutch quality or the specific manufacturer, but the install quality and driver adherence to the strict break in and post break in repeat relearning.

Once everything is fully broken in, and after I get some miles on the new high HP setup - I’ll report back. I have no reservation to report exactly what I find.

There are significantly more success stories than nightmares regarding the SSP. I think a couple failures definitely shouldn’t define which clutch you decide to go with. I also think claiming that OEM clutches can hold 4 digit power is absolutely absurd. I have been running 640whp for 8mos and my clutches were slipping less than 3mos after the power adders were installed. I have zero faith in the capability of the stock clutch.
I'll be very interested to hear about your experience with the SSP clutches after a couple of miles! I've found that many on these bloggers disappear after making claims to report back... likely because outcomes aren't always as predicted (try looking up REAL dyno results some time! I've coincidentally posted mine for stock, Dinan Stage II and BPM Stage I which are not fabricated as some will claim).

As far as the install goes, my Inde is a BMW master tech and certified DINAN dealer who has built no less that three of my "BMW projects" including a Dinan Stage V 750li, a Dinan Stage IV 650i, and the current built M5 all of which were new car purchases and modified after standard break in.

No doubt there is a lot of variability in technicians, but this should be a bolt on replacement. The real variable seems to be the quality of these materials. I will hopefully be able to post some detailed pics of the SSP clutches from the car (new with no miles).

As for your shop in Phoenix, I'm surprised you found one as Kris couldn't recommend a shop for me in AZ when my clutch shelled just north of there in Payson. I really hope you have a better outcome with this! I'm not taking any more changes and going back to stock.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 04:56 PM   #31
Doctor_X
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
SSP will take your clutch and rebuild with their parts and send back to you. Thats what I did the first time which gives you a 6 month warranty. There's a shop in Houston that installs SSP clutches and a few more scattered around the country. The most important thing is that the shop you use has a BMW computer to do a correct transmission adaptation after the install. Unfortunately none of this will save you from inferior parts and engineering and you too may be buying yourself a new transmission! Use at your own risk!
Quote:
I'll be very interested to hear about your experience with the SSP clutches after a couple of miles! I've found that many on these bloggers disappear after making claims to report back... likely because outcomes aren't always as predicted (try looking up REAL dyno results some time! I've coincidentally posted mine for stock, Dinan Stage II and BPM Stage I which are not fabricated as some will claim).

As far as the install goes, my Inde is a BMW master tech and certified DINAN dealer who has built no less that three of my "BMW projects" including a Dinan Stage V 750li, a Dinan Stage IV 650i, and the current built M5 all of which were new car purchases and modified after standard break in.

No doubt there is a lot of variability in technicians, but this should be a bolt on replacement. The real variable seems to be the quality of these materials. I will hopefully be able to post some detailed pics of the SSP clutches from the car (new with no miles).

As for your shop in Phoenix, I'm surprised you found one as Kris couldn't recommend a shop for me in AZ when my clutch shelled just north of there in Payson. I really hope you have a better outcome with this! I'm not taking any more changes and going back to stock.
Again - I don’t think you can generalize your experience to apply to everyone. You certainly haven’t had good luck - but that doesn’t mean your experience is law. Variables like improper installation, adaptation, and break in can’t be ignored, no matter how emotional you are about the way Kris has handled your particular case.

People are much more likely to report negative outcomes than positive. That’s human nature. I’ll report back my findings either way - simple as that.

Out of curiosity - are you a physician?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 08:07 PM   #32
Aceway
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i / F25 28i

I've had my ssp clutches/baskets installed for 3 years and getting close to 30k miles on them. BPM Stage 2 93 octane the majority of the miles, but I'm on a 91 octane tune now. Install was done at Trinity Autosport in Anaheim who have done many installs for forum members. I thought about going to a regular Indy for the install, but it was $5k+ in parts and it's not something a lot of mechanics do regularly.

No regrets here.
Appreciate 1
Doctor_X1158.00
      04-08-2021, 04:48 PM   #33
SSPKris
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR

First time I came across this thread. Where to start:
To the person that started this thread, you are an absolute liar. I am not even going to get into the details of our conversations back and forth. I will take the high road and let you have your 15 minutes of shame. Anyone that has dealt with me personally or my business knows this is not how we treat "honest" customers. I wish you the best of luck with your business practices......
Appreciate 5
      04-10-2021, 08:26 AM   #34
RockNDoc
M5 Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Again - I don’t think you can generalize your experience to apply to everyone. You certainly haven’t had good luck - but that doesn’t mean your experience is law. Variables like improper installation, adaptation, and break in can’t be ignored, no matter how emotional you are about the way Kris has handled your particular case.

People are much more likely to report negative outcomes than positive. That’s human nature. I’ll report back my findings either way - simple as that.

Out of curiosity - are you a physician?
If you'll reread my original post, you'll realize that I did not generalize in any way, but just recounted my experience with the SSP product. You made the generalizations about "improper installation, adaptation, and break in", which exist with any automotive or other application. I went to great lengths and $$$$ to believe in the product and make it work, including no less that 9 (yes NINE) R&R's of the transmission. Unfortunately, this was to no avail. IMO, the problem is in the great variability of the product itself... either sourcing, manufacturing, or material. I can tell you that the brand new paper thin plates for 1st and 2nd that were removed from the second set of clutches after less than 50 miles were already showing wear. It's apparent that the clutches are binding up. They are also catching on the billet basket housing and not releasing. All of this results in excessive friction which results in increased heat and premature failure. This has been my experience with TWO sets of clutches now, the first of which destroyed my DCT. I have personally reached my limit, and have abandoned any further attempts with the SSP product. I'm not saying this will happen to everyone else, and there are certainly others who have made this product work for them, but I'm not the only one who has had issues either. The DCT set up in the F10 is the weakest link for getting HP on the ground. There's a reason the new F90 M5 is a pure automatic with AWD. Maybe we shouldn't try to outsmart German engineering and the millions of Euros in R&D on this one?

And why yes... the user name is a bit of a give away... What about yours? lol
Appreciate 2
      04-10-2021, 03:04 PM   #35
Doctor_X
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5 CS  [0.00]
Just completed my post 500 mile break-in re-learn programming with no issues. No noise, no clunks, no adaptation problems, no smells, no slipping. Car is performing flawlessly.

I’ll update again after I get some flogging done.
Appreciate 3
      04-12-2021, 07:18 PM   #36
Doctor_X
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5 CS  [0.00]
Another 160 miles of absolute relentless flogging.

Multiple 0-60, 0-150, 80-120, 30-100 pulls.

Not a single issue. Car runs like a raped ape.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 07:34 PM   #37
warpeacelove
Lieutenant
Rep

https://www.evolvetuning.us/brands/d...12-f13-m6.html
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 08:06 AM   #38
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpeacelove View Post
I saw that they went with Deka which shocked me because the did an SSP install video on an F06 M6.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vision, CCB, RKAutowerks Forged Rods/Pistons & E85 DI Exhaust Cams,Carbon Fiber CAI & Billet Diff Brace, Infinity Design CF Turbo Inlets, Swaintech Coated DPs, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3 Flash, Bootmod3
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 10:04 AM   #39
warpeacelove
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
I saw that they went with Deka which shocked me because the did an SSP install video on an F06 M6.
Exactly. I was astonished by the that but also made aware that we now have another option especially since EVOLVE IS BACKing the product.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 08:08 PM   #40
Doctor_X
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5 CS  [0.00]
900 miles on the Spec X.

Flogged the living daylights out of the car and clutch.

It’s perfect.
Appreciate 2
      04-21-2021, 10:48 PM   #41
707M5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5

Quote:
900 miles on the Spec X.

Flogged the living daylights out of the car and clutch.

It's perfect.
Are u running upgraded turbos and built motor?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 11:31 PM   #42
Doctor_X
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5 CS  [0.00]
Stock motor

FBO
Pure stage II
Meth
JB4 and DME tune

Making maybe 750ish? Haven’t dyno’d bc I had to break said clutch in
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 09:58 AM   #43
707M5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5

Quote:
Stock motor

FBO
Pure stage II
Meth
JB4 and DME tune

Making maybe 750ish? Haven't dyno'd bc I had to break said clutch in
What's the secret to preserving the stock motor with upgraded turbos? Lol
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 01:25 PM   #44
Doctor_X
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5 CS  [0.00]
This setup is newly installed on the car, so we will see how it handles everything after some miles are put on it.

When upgrading, I installed new O2 sensors/plugs/coils/injectors/fuel pumps

The meth setup is completely custom. It sprays post intercooler right before the throttle body. Injection is via dual 900cc injectors controlled through the JB4.

I didn’t tune the car for meth as a supplementary fuel source. I use the meth just for IAT’s. I think that’s where guys get into trouble regarding engine longevity - upping the boost and adding meth to make up for the inadequacy of the stock fuel system.
Appreciate 3