BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

04-12-2019, 06:39 PM   #1
ciprian75
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

Better adhesive needed!

I installed a 3D Design window spoiler on my F10 and it came off twice. I used double sided 3M tape. Do any of you know of a better option or any tricks to make this stick and not come apart?
Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 08:09 PM   #2
M5_Brandoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black sapphire M5

Check out 3m products, they also come in different strengths.
      04-13-2019, 12:03 AM   #3
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
I've always used 3m double sided tape for all my spoilers and stuff. I believe the problem could be the preparation. Make sure you clean the area, use rubbing alcohol to make sure there is no contaminants. Then put the tape on the spoiler (new, never reuse it once it's off once). I'd recommend just before putting the spoiler on, heat up the tape a little. Then put it on, apply some heat& pressure. Make sure it's on well (don't pull it off to test it right then). Wait a bit before driving. Best of luck!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 01:54 PM   #4
rockyfeller
King of NYC
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 CP

I've used this on another car. Works well.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...020&rt=rud
Blaxwil624.00
      04-13-2019, 09:27 PM   #5
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickdeep View Post
I've always used 3m double sided tape for all my spoilers and stuff. I believe the problem could be the preparation. Make sure you clean the area, use rubbing alcohol to make sure there is no contaminants. Then put the tape on the spoiler (new, never reuse it once it's off once). I'd recommend just before putting the spoiler on, heat up the tape a little. Then put it on, apply some heat& pressure. Make sure it's on well (don't pull it off to test it right then). Wait a bit before driving. Best of luck!!
he is 100% correct. you didn't prep properly and/or you applied it in cool weather without a hairdryer. 3m acrylic foam tape likes to be warmed. you can also order molding tape "adhesion promoter" from amazon that comes in small moist towelette indivudual pack form and u wipe it on the area you are applying(with gloves on!) and whatever you are applying is not coming off

.. with a brand new car with a smooth unscraped front bumper i can apply a front lip with just 3M tape and no screws if i use the adhesion promoter its that strong. its really uncanny stuff
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 03:56 PM   #6
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyfeller View Post
I've used this on another car. Works well.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...3087020&rt=rud
omg no! not for his application or any application of applying a piece of body trim to a vehicle. that is basically epoxy.. it even says permanent and for replacement windshields, but I wouldn't even use it for that.

no no
Appreciate 1
Ickdeep5715.50
      04-15-2019, 03:24 AM   #7
rockyfeller
King of NYC
United_States
Rep

It's not epoxy at all. But yes, it is meant for permanent installation and typically used for windshields. But it's not a "no no" at all. Don't knock it till you try it.

The reason why a lot of people use it for roof spoilers is because it bonds to glass very well and there's no chance of it flying off at high speed. I had the same problem as him with double sided tape. Almost lost the spoiler a few times.

Even though I thought it was "permanent" I was able to remove the spoiler pulling on it a bit. Came off easier than I thought. There was hardly any residue on the glass. A little Goo gone and the car looks like it never had a roof spoiler on it before.
      04-15-2019, 03:35 AM   #8
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

It may be fine to bond a spoiler to glass but I would not use this for bonding an after market spoiler to bodywork.Should the spoiler be removed at a later date then would paintwork still be intact...Double sided tape every time.
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2019, 06:05 AM   #9
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyfeller View Post
It's not epoxy at all. But yes, it is meant for permanent installation and typically used for windshields. But it's not a "no no" at all. Don't knock it till you try it.

The reason why a lot of people use it for roof spoilers is because it bonds to glass very well and there's no chance of it flying off at high speed. I had the same problem as him with double sided tape. Almost lost the spoiler a few times.

Even though I thought it was "permanent" I was able to remove the spoiler pulling on it a bit. Came off easier than I thought. There was hardly any residue on the glass. A little Goo gone and the car looks like it never had a roof spoiler on it before.
yes, i would only apply that to glass. you can get virtually anything off of glass with a straight razor.
but NEVER use that stuff on a painted surface. just my advice
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 12:45 PM   #10
ciprian75
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

I called 3M today and they told me to use the double stick tape code 06397 along with a adhesive promoter code 06396. Apparently the adhesive promoter is what makes the tape stick and never come off.
Thank you all for your input.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 06:54 PM   #11
rockyfeller
King of NYC
United_States
Rep

Didn't realize what you meant. Yes of course. You never want to put it on bodywork indeed. Not meant for rear deck spoilers at all. Specifically just if you want to mount a roof spoiler mounted high on the rear glass.
      04-17-2019, 02:00 AM   #12
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciprian75 View Post
I called 3M today and they told me to use the double stick tape code 06397 along with a adhesive promoter code 06396. Apparently the adhesive promoter is what makes the tape stick and never come off.
Thank you all for your input.
yea be sure you are positive you want it because the adhesion promter damages the paint
Appreciate 0