BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

03-31-2020, 06:46 AM   #1
Speenybean
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15’ Xdrive 50i

Wheel studs

Is is necessary to add extended wheels studs when putting on spacers? I know I have to use extended lug nuts but wasn't sure if studs were a requirement. If so 70mm? Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 06:55 AM   #2
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speenybean View Post
Is is necessary to add extended wheels studs when putting on spacers? I know I have to use extended lug nuts but wasn't sure if studs were a requirement. If so 70mm? Thanks guys
It's necessary for your safety, just add the width of your spacers to the measurement of the standard ones and you know what ones you have to purchase including the locking wheel lug.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 07:23 AM   #3
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

I only used 5mm spacers but they came with extended wheel bolts. I used the original locking bolts because there was enough length on them to get a good number of turns. Anything more than 5mm though and you'll need a full set.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 07:28 AM   #4
Speenybean
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
Quote:
It's necessary for your safety, just add the width of your spacers to the measurement of the standard ones and you know what ones you have to purchase including the locking wheel lug.
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not speaking on behalf of extended lug nuts. I know they're required and most spacer kits come with them. I'm speaking specifically on extended wheel studs.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 07:29 AM   #5
Speenybean
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaynos View Post
I only used 5mm spacers but they came with extended wheel bolts. I used the original locking bolts because there was enough length on them to get a good number of turns. Anything more than 5mm though and you'll need a full set.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not speaking on behalf of extended lug nuts. I know they're required and most spacer kits come with them. I'm speaking specifically on extended wheel studs.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 07:33 AM   #6
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Sorry I misread your question. I'm not sure about the use of studs if I'm honest, I know some people do use them but not sure on the benefits.
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2020, 08:08 AM   #7
M5Rick
General
Rep

You'll still need them,only bit of work involved.Generally you need minimum of six turns of wheel nut for security but for these cars the more the better.
Go onto u-tube: How to Replace Wheel Studs or Replacing Studs the 'Easy Way' by Eric the Car Guy.Com
Appreciate 1
J11SEK268.00
      03-31-2020, 11:06 AM   #8
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You'll still need them,only bit of work involved.Generally you need minimum of six turns of wheel nut for security but for these cars the more the better.
Go onto u-tube: How to Replace Wheel Studs or Replacing Studs the 'Easy Way' by Eric the Car Guy.Com
I think you're referring to splined knock out type wheel studs. Bmws use wheel bolts. You can buy stud conversions with threads on either end. I think this is what the OP is asking about.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 11:07 AM   #9
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
I think you're referring to splined knock out type wheel studs. Bmws use wheel bolts. You can buy stud conversions with threads on either end. I think this is what the OP is asking about.
Yes this is what I gather he was referring too.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 08:52 PM   #10
Speenybean
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I just realized our cars use wheel bolts not lug nuts. So if I put spacers on can I just use extended lug bolts? I won't need extended studs like 75mm?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 09:11 PM   #11
Sweattdogg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 M3/09 e90 335d/13 f10M5

I believe most spacers come with the longer bolts already so you should be all set. Just make sure you use the longer bolts. I'm running 12mm all around on my M5
Appreciate 0