M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

04-06-2016, 07:34 AM   #1
financenick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10 - 2016

M5 F10 - Induction air intake upgrade £100 fitted

Job done with 2 x of these: www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350888390156
Larger size 175mm also available. Thing i like about these filters is
there dry - so no worry of oiling the MAF

THANKS TO RAMAIR
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      04-06-2016, 07:47 AM   #2
TheHouseWon
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

How's the sound?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 07:53 AM   #3
financenick
Private First Class
Rep

Sound really nice, you can def here the slurping of air now, and the odd wastegate flutter, glad there not too noisy - but just right !! could be me but feel they have reduced lag too
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 08:23 AM   #4
TheHouseWon
Colonel
Rep

From a manufacturer of a similarly designed product--according to BMStuning:

I'm interested in an intake, but won't the exposed filters just suck in hot air on the track?

The short answer is yes, they will ingest hotter air, but a lot more of it. The end result is actually cooler air entering the engine. This is because you are reducing the huge pressure drop across the factory airbox, dramatically improving the efficiency of the compressors. The BMS intakes also reduce impeller speed improving turbo reliability.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 09:06 AM   #5
financenick
Private First Class
Rep

The filters sit right next to the charge coolers which remain cool even after a thrashing there cold to touch. Also the bottom half of the air box remains in place which have the air scoops for cold air feed, I'm no techy but think heat soak should not be a major factor
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 09:09 AM   #6
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

I like!

Im in the market for an induction kit of some sort and have been looking at the MSR kit for some time but im all ears if something similar could be had for a fraction of the cost...

What I dont understand is how all manufacturers state that standard airboxes are all restrictive in terms of air flow and all of their aftermarket units offer essentially better performance over standard...

Does that mean that all manufacturers of high end sports cars are knowingly designing inferior air boxes into their cars??? I just cant believe this for some reason....The same with thing with exhausts....All aftermarket companies state their aftermarket product will offer performance gains so if this is all true, why is a company like bmw using components and designs that are knowingly inferior? or is it the fact that they are not actually inferior?????
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 09:31 AM   #7
Sabs1815
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbru View Post

Does that mean that all manufacturers of high end sports cars are knowingly designing inferior air boxes into their cars??? I just cant believe this for some reason....The same with thing with exhausts....All aftermarket companies state their aftermarket product will offer performance gains so if this is all true, why is a company like bmw using components and designs that are knowingly inferior? or is it the fact that they are not actually inferior?????

^^^^^^^
I've always wondered the same thing! It's pretty much the only thing holding me back from modifying my M5. I mean I'm sure a lot of the things BMW does to their cars are for emissions and Government restrictions, but how is it that so many aftermarket tuners can make products that are not only better then OEM but also 50 state legal like the BMS intake and Charge pipe.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 10:26 AM   #8
financenick
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
Can't say about other car manufacturers, but BMW makes solid intake system. If your car has a stock tune, aftermarket intakes will not do anything but look and sound better. If you're running 25psi+ as stated by Burger Tuning's website below, you "may" see 10HP (at least they're honest). Which makes sense as higher boost would require more air than the BMW engineers spec'd it for. After market drop in filters can fix this alone.

Don't believe the gimic. After market intake power gains is the biggest scam for suckers, no one has proven massive power gains with just intakes (3rd party unbiased testing).

OEM air box with BMC filters would be the cheapest upgrade if you're just looking for another 5-10HP with a tune.

If you want cheap intake sound, get BMS intakes with Perrin or Weapon R filters. I like the effort of OP here, but cheap foam filters will damage your motor. They let contaminant through and the foam will break down over time, going into the intakes. There's nothing more damaging to your motor than burnt foam. If you ever burnt foam as a child, you know what I'm talking about. They turn black and sticky, very toxic.

http://burgertuning.com/s63tu_BMW_M5...ce_intake.html
Interesting post, RAMAIR are well respected here in UK, and remains subject to opinion or home spun wisdom as to their quality over and about other filtration systems, and feel the that topic is pedantic too.

However one comment you mentioned above: you said there is no scope for power increase unless your running 25 PSI, well the M5 runs 21psi standard so assuming it won’t develop that extra 10 BHP only if you tune it to 25psi

There not a gimic, and im not a sucker, ive come from 15 years of tuning GTR's and we used high flow filters to simply allow better breathing, and feed greater volumes of air into the turbos - period. Turbo’s crave air, this just allows more of it to flow

On some race GTR's we only used turbo entry trumpets with no air filters at all and removed a headlight to literally ram air in, in these extreme instances turbo’s would only last up to 10k miles before needing a rebuild, and we have swallowed many wasps and small children with this method

thanks for your comments but ive deduced you’re not actually factual and just a nay sayer - forums are full of them !!

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 10:42 AM   #9
financenick
Private First Class
Rep

My old Supra
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 10:56 AM   #10
apexlocator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Different cars/manufacturer. ....in my 350z days the best intakes (after the model being out for 13 years) are the stock airbox with after market filter.

Some of us nay sayers spend the money, dyno time, research to form our opinion of what's best, despite not having 15 years of gtr tuning.

There is a forum member who I believe has gone through multiple intakes only to go back to the stock for his m5. I think his m5 is running in the 9s now.
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2016, 11:09 AM   #11
financenick
Private First Class
Rep

Can't believe that but ok
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 11:48 AM   #12
TheHouseWon
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by financenick View Post
My old Supra
Why did you downgrade to an M5?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 11:56 AM   #13
financenick
Private First Class
Rep

Not a downgrade, well... Only in power, as I get older I value the luxury and comfort. It can be a real beast one minute and a daily comfortable family car the next - it's a masterpiece imo
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 12:10 PM   #14
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Interesting post, RAMAIR are well respected here in UK, and remains subject to opinion or home spun wisdom as to their quality over and about other filtration systems, and feel the that topic is pedantic too.

However one comment you mentioned above: you said there is no scope for power increase unless your running 25 PSI, well the M5 runs 21psi standard so assuming it won’t develop that extra 10 BHP only if you tune it to 25psi

There not a gimic, and im not a sucker, ive come from 15 years of tuning GTR's and we used high flow filters to simply allow better breathing, and feed greater volumes of air into the turbos - period. Turbo’s crave air, this just allows more of it to flow

On some race GTR's we only used turbo entry trumpets with no air filters at all and removed a headlight to literally ram air in, in these extreme instances turbo’s would only last up to 10k miles before needing a rebuild, and we have swallowed many wasps and small children with this method

thanks for your comments but ive deduced you’re not actually factual and just a nay sayer - forums are full of them !!

The statement was on Burger Tuning's website and Burger Tuning is a very reputable BMW tuner. What they meant is at stock tune, you will not see a power increase with their intakes. But at 25psi, you will see an increase of 10HP on their intakes over stock intakes at 25psi. I think you misread that 4psi increase will only gain 10HP.

"While the factory s63tu intake is very high flowing the BMS intake provide power gains of up to 10whp range at 25psi+ boost levels. Turbo spool up speed is also improved." - Burger Tuning

You are welcome to call Terry at Burger Tuning. He has always said BMW OEM intakes are hard to improve. When they developed BMS intakes for the F80, they even told potential customers that it's for look and sound only.

Who would you believe. An intake vendor that claims 30HP increase or someone who flat out says there's no gains, just sound and look?

I apologized for knocking on RAMAIR. I've never heard of them and for the price, I assumed quality isn't good. After doing more research, RAMAIR seems very solid. I might try this mod with air scoops, although I don't expect power gains the turbos would be happy with free flowing air and added noise. I have deleted my negative comments about RAMAIR, sorry.

Thanks again for being an innovator and sharing.

Last edited by JNoSol; 04-06-2016 at 12:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 12:22 PM   #15
financenick
Private First Class
Rep

Agreed, and thanks for your clarity
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 12:29 PM   #16
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Agreed, and thanks for your clarity
Sorry, we started off the wrong foot. I'm now fascinated about RAMAIR, I wonder why it's not popular as Perrin (oil based) or HKS?

I do like that the base has a milled aluminum velocity stock built in. It's also made in the UK, not China that I expected.

Would the 175mm base be too large? Your 150mm looks like a perfect fit, not sure if 175mm would clear.

Also, our OEM intake air inlets are passive. You would want an air scoop to ram the air into the intakes to reduce heat soak.

I sure wish there's a knockoff brand to RPI air scoops. $249 for air scoops is ridiculous.

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=932982
      04-06-2016, 01:50 PM   #17
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Will this fit?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RAMAIR-BLACK...BWMSCX&vxp=mtr
      04-06-2016, 04:11 PM   #18
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

.....In all honesty I think the M5 has plenty of power for the kinds of roads I drive on and the conditions that they are in i.e. crap road surfaces and wet most of the time in the UK. In fact, living in pretty much central London, I can't really exploit the full potential of the car 95% of the time anyway.

Therefore, for me personally, Im not interested in any more power gains...Looks and sounds are all I want so when I think about buying an exhaust or an induction kit of some sort I just can't justify the type of money that is being asked e.g. Akra exhaust is over £6k in the UK...Its not that I don't have the money (well....my wife has my money) but I just can't justify the spend hence I think if financenick has found a way to get the sound, looks, reliability etc etc as it appears that he has then its a tick for me and if I can get over my stupid warranty worries, I will be doing exactly the same

As far as intakes go, Id love to have the MSR intake and looks like George has done an amazing job developing this...BUT...it is expensive....If I can get a similar sound, okay I appreciate it won't be as great, but if it is similar and costs 10% of the cost of the MSR unit I know which one I will be buying.
Appreciate 2
      04-06-2016, 04:29 PM   #19
financenick
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
Yes my friend, the 175mm you found fits nicely (just) and lets in more air than the 150mm, RAMAIR been making filters for for race tuned cars since 1981 there just priced well, ive seen some induction kits for our M5's priced at $3000 its known as M-tax

As for the scoops - these fit in perfectly, you just need to spray them black: http://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-ve...te-100mm/18905
Appreciate 2
      04-06-2016, 04:32 PM   #20
financenick
Private First Class
Rep

£3 scoops fitted

these work better than RPI (another comment that will get me in trouble) but they do
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      04-06-2016, 05:06 PM   #21
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes my friend, the 175mm you found fits nicely (just) and lets in more air than the 150mm, RAMAIR been making filters for for race tuned cars since 1981 there just priced well, ive seen some induction kits for our M5's priced at $3000 its known as M-tax

As for the scoops - these fit in perfectly, you just need to spray them black: http://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-ve...te-100mm/18905
Awesome, thanks a lot. 175mm it is. I do like that these are dried filters.

I take back on running BMC with stock air-boxes. It turns out the BMC filters are overly oiled, causing CELs (read through the thread below). Good thing I didn't pull the trigger on those BMC filters. Your mod is cheaper and should sound better.

Can you post a DIY on mounting the air scoops? You should sell them on eBay, LOL.

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=827119
      04-06-2016, 05:19 PM   #22
financenick
Private First Class
Rep

Yer, I was very careful to choose dry filters, oily filters no good with mafs. To be honest my scoops are great, you just pop them in to the standard air inlets and put 2 self tapping screws in to hold in place not bad for under $5 if anyone wants me to buy a load and send to USA I'd be happy to.

They catch 85% of the air rushing straight in through the kidney grills, and noticed an improvement straight away
Appreciate 0