BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

09-20-2018, 11:51 AM   #1
SuperF10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Coil Replacement Programming?

My car is at the dealership right now and I just got a call from my SA. They said that the coil and spark plug need to be replaced and that the coil needs programming that's not required but recommended at $382 for just the programming. Any thoughts?
      09-20-2018, 01:36 PM   #2
apexlocator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

No need to reprogram with new plugs and coils.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 02:22 PM   #3
SuperF10
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexlocator View Post
No need to reprogram with new plugs and coils.
Even if they are replacing only one coil and spark plug? The others are original
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 02:41 PM   #4
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperF10 View Post
Even if they are replacing only one coil and spark plug? The others are original
I'm so disappointed that a dealership would gouge a customer in this way. The coils take commands from the DME, they have no programmability in them. I have mixed manufacturer coils on my car and it needed no programming. If I were you I'd report this dealership to BMW. Have your SA put his recommendation and the billing for it in writing so they can't wiggle out of it. I'll bet he won't.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 03:20 PM   #5
SuperF10
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be View Post
I'm so disappointed that a dealership would gouge a customer in this way. The coils take commands from the DME, they have no programmability in them. I have mixed manufacturer coils on my car and it needed no programming. If I were you I'd report this dealership to BMW. Have your SA put his recommendation and the billing for it in writing so they can't wiggle out of it. I'll bet he won't.
I called my extended warranty company and was on the phone with a general manager for claims and he told me not to pay. He said that it made no sense too. He said that they paid out for the job and that it should be completed fully including any updates.

The SA is saying that it needs to be updated because the DME is giving an error and saying that it needs an update. I am not versed in coils or any type of programming but I had a gut feeling I was getting raked over the coils. I just told them that I wasn't paying for it and so we'll see what happens.

The damn dealership is a scam, the only reason I go there is because my aftermarket warranty. But I had to get a spark plug replaced and it's over $180!

Last edited by SuperF10; 09-20-2018 at 03:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 03:47 PM   #6
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

That's a different matter than saying the programming is needed for the coils. But still, I'd have him print out the error messages he's getting now and tell him you'll come back if the car gives you the problems he's describing. His description from the tech is pretty nebulous, as if anything might happen.

I'm have no knowledge of programming either, but that's my take on it. Perhaps one of the tuners can chime in with more experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 10:14 AM   #7
SuperF10
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
That's a different matter than saying the programming is needed for the coils. But still, I'd have him print out the error messages he's getting now and tell him you'll come back if the car gives you the problems he's describing. His description from the tech is pretty nebulous, as if anything might happen.

I'm have no knowledge of programming either, but that's my take on it. Perhaps one of the tuners can chime in with more experience.
Thank you for the reply. I skipped the programming and the car is acting normal, so glad to have it back.

On another note, when I went to pick up the car the bill was $380.98. I only opted to replace 1 spark plug and then cover my $100 deductible. After a quick word with a different advisor and the service manager, miraculously my bill dropped to $135.15. Part cost for a spark plug is $32.46 and they already had the ignition coil out so I think I was possibly being charged double labor.

I would probably stay away from BMW of the Woodlands...
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 12:25 PM   #8
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5, E46 330i, R56 Mini.S

It is certainly understandable if going through the ISTA test plan the technician was instructed to update the integration level of the software on the vehicle. It should have been presented properly if that were the case. That said coils and spark plugs absolutely do not require programming, that would be preposterous. The SA you're dealing with is clearly a warm body filling a chair and doesn't have a vested personal interest in these cars.

If you want to get away from sketchy dealer antics that'll never change come see me at ABR Houston in Spring. We're enthusiast owned and operated, treat our clients fairly, and you'll always be working directly with like minded individuals.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 06:09 AM   #9
luv135i
Major
Rep
Drives: White

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperF10 View Post
Quote:

Thank you for the reply. I skipped the programming and the car is acting normal, so glad to have it back.

On another note, when I went to pick up the car the bill was $380.98. I only opted to replace 1 spark plug and then cover my $100 deductible. After a quick word with a different advisor and the service manager, miraculously my bill dropped to $135.15. Part cost for a spark plug is $32.46 and they already had the ignition coil out so I think I was possibly being charged double labor.

I would probably stay away from BMW of the Woodlands...
What warranty company do you have?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 11:09 AM   #10
SuperF10
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv135i View Post
What warranty company do you have?
AMT/Warrantech I believe.
Appreciate 0