Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

02-23-2017, 06:50 AM   #45
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
The Lexus doesn't really match up to the M5. However, it is true that the M5 is traction limited even under non-snowy conditions. My experience was that I had to always be gentle with the throttle or I would trigger the traction control.

Ultimately living at the top of a hill in New England made having the M5 impossible even with dedicated snow tires. Studded tires might have worked. Having now experienced a X5M, i think a AWD M5 would be awesome.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 09:11 AM   #46
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post
Can't disagree that BMWs have gotten softer but no way they aren't still true to their heritage. My M3 is way more exciting than a Toyota , from styling to the way it drives.

Also things must move forward. Does anyone really expect BMW to not adopt electric steering in their cars? Or meet cafe standards by utilizing turbocharging? At the end of the day BMW offers cars that are fun with great styling and at least to me, overall more satisfying than it's competitors. Mercedes C styling doesn't do it for me (and a shifter stalk on the column??), Lexus - no manual, Caddy- styling too childish, etc. Instead with the M3 I get a comfortable car that can be very fast when needed, handles the road as much as any person can need on the road, styling is A+ (I get compliments pretty much daily), and comes with a manual.
They are not true to their heritage. The 3-series is certainly not the Ultimate Driving Machine anymore.

And your M3 is a $70K+ car - and even at that, without the competition package, gets less than stellar reviews. The Comp package at least makes it competitive - but only good enough for a 3rd place finish losing badly to the Alfa Quadrifoglio in a recent comparison.

I'm not knocking the M3 (I certainly think it the only 4 door car I would want today and yes, it comes with a juicy stick shift - but it, along with the M4, is is not the bread and butter of BMW). But, when we look at the core of BMW's lineup, it has lost its way.

And...
Porsche makes electric steering work really nice

And...
Let's be honest, turbocharging is a good thing - torque rocks.

So people are not knocking BMW for still offering a stick (thank GOD), or offering turbocharging (thank GOD), but the steering feel, the chassis dynamics, the insistence on run-flats, ugh.... this has been the demise of the Ultimate Driving Machine.
Can't disagree on much there. No doubt that BMW's entire lineup is not M3 caliber, but we're they ever? The new M3 performs better and that's what people want so they delivered in my opinion. I'm sure steering could give more feedback but overall, like you said, there probably isn't another car you'd want in that class with 4 doors.

By the way I don't care about reviews - they also picked a Camaro over the M but the styling and quality is a non-starter for me any many others, so take reviews with a grain of salt. Even so there's someone tracking M reviews on these forums and they still have won more than they lost.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 09:49 PM   #47
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
They are not true to their heritage. The 3-series is certainly not the Ultimate Driving Machine anymore.

And your M3 is a $70K+ car - and even at that, without the competition package, gets less than stellar reviews. The Comp package at least makes it competitive - but only good enough for a 3rd place finish losing badly to the Alfa Quadrifoglio in a recent comparison.

I'm not knocking the M3 (I certainly think it the only 4 door car I would want today and yes, it comes with a juicy stick shift - but it, along with the M4, is is not the bread and butter of BMW). But, when we look at the core of BMW's lineup, it has lost its way.

And...
Porsche makes electric steering work really nice

And...
Let's be honest, turbocharging is a good thing - torque rocks.

So people are not knocking BMW for still offering a stick (thank GOD), or offering turbocharging (thank GOD), but the steering feel, the chassis dynamics, the insistence on run-flats, ugh.... this has been the demise of the Ultimate Driving Machine.

Your point on turbocharging is highly arguable.

It's quite ironic that someone arguing about the demise of the "Ultimate Driving Machine" makes a point in favor of turbocharging while for many BMW fans, the phasing out of normally aspirated engines across BMW's lineup can be seen as contributing to that very "demise".

The fact that neither BMW nor BMW M offer even one naturally aspirated motor in the ever expanding lineup of cars is really nothing to celebrate about.
Especially considering BMW made a name for itself with its linear, smooth, and free-revving engines.

Torque be damned, I'd take an S54 or S65 all day over an N54/N55 or S55.
Hell, I find the M54 and N52 engines to be way more enjoyable and more quintessentially BMW than the N20/N26 that came after.

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 10:02 PM   #48
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post

It's quite ironic that someone arguing about the demise of the "Ultimate Driving Machine" makes a point in favor of turbocharging while for many BMW fans, the phasing out of normally aspirated engines across BMW's lineup can be seen as contributing to that very "demise".

The fact that neither BMW nor BMW M offer even one naturally aspirated motor in the ever expanding lineup of cars is really nothing to celebrate about.
Especially considering BMW made a name for itself with its linear, smooth, and free-revving engines.

Hell, I find the M54 and N52 engines to be way more enjoyable and more quintessentially BMW than the N20/N26 that came after.
It's not ironic at all - and not really arguable - at least by most people. How does the addition of low end torque contribute to the demise of the Ultimate Driving Machine?

There aren't too many people who "hate" their 1M/M2/F30 M3 and miss their E90 M3 because, "dammit, the car just moves off the line".

Heck, I went from a E60 550 to a E60 M5 and missed the torque every day!

So, if anything these new turbocharged engines HELP BMW in terms of the being more enjoyable for 99% of the people.

I also have yet to see any new 911 owner really complain about their newfound torque at low speeds.

Now, steering feel, chassis dynamics, road manners - those things make up a
"Ultimate Driving Machine". When you get in a F30 3-335/340 after driving a E90 335, wow, what a difference.

Electric Steering? Better in terms of fuel economy, worse in terms of feel. I get that - nobody really wants it.

But turbocharging? It rocks.
Appreciate 1
BDWonder138.00
      02-23-2017, 10:18 PM   #49
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:

Well, Ultimate Driving Machine has nothing to do with naturally aspirated engine. It just means it's the best, so if a turbo charged engine performs better, I don't see anything wrong with using it.

Turbo charged engines has come a long way. S63Tu is linear, smooth, and pretty free revving. Maybe still not quite as responsive as naturally aspirated engine at low rpm, but I think it's something BMW will continue to improve upon.

It's not inconceivable that turbo charged engines will eventually behave like a naturally aspirated engine in every way plus with more power and torque.

Whatever the case, ultimate driving machine will in the end, be exactly what it means, ultimate driving machine. It will drive itself. In 10 or 20 years, the next battle ground for car companies will be the interior. As driving the car burden lessens, what will you be doing inside the car? What can car companies offer you that will persuade you to buy one over the other?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 10:32 PM   #50
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
It's not ironic at all - and not really arguable - at least by most people. How does the addition of low end torque contribute to the demise of the Ultimate Driving Machine?

There aren't too many people who "hate" their 1M/M2/F30 M3 and miss their E90 M3 because, "dammit, the car just moves off the line".

Heck, I went from a E60 550 to a E60 M5 and missed the torque every day!

So, if anything these new turbocharged engines HELP BMW in terms of the being more enjoyable for 99% of the people.

I also have yet to see any new 911 owner really complain about their newfound torque at low speeds.

Now, steering feel, chassis dynamics, road manners - those things make up a
"Ultimate Driving Machine". When you get in a F30 3-335/340 after driving a E90 335, wow, what a difference.

Electric Steering? Better in terms of fuel economy, worse in terms of feel. I get that - nobody really wants it.

But turbocharging? It rocks.
There's more to an engine than gobs of low-end torque.
Hell, if what you describe is the definition of fun-to-drive, we should all be driving diesels.

For BMW & M cars in particular, instantaneous throttle response, the theatrical noise and feel of revving out an engine, contributes to a more emotional and overall connection with the driving experience.
NA vs. turbocharging, in BMW's case, is analogous to hydraulic steering vs. electric steering. The latter in both cases, implemented because of ever-increasing environmental constraints.

There's been plenty of discussion on the E9X M3 and F8X boards (and other BMW forums not on this site) discussing this topic so [I] understand it's a dead horse by now.
But to say it's not a topic that is debatable and that everyone unanimously loves turbos would be a huge fallacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat View Post
Well, Ultimate Driving Machine has nothing to do with naturally aspirated engine. It just means it's the best, so if a turbo charged engine performs better, I don't see anything wrong with using it.

Turbo charged engines has come a long way. S63Tu is linear, smooth, and pretty free revving. Maybe still not quite as responsive as naturally aspirated engine at low rpm, but I think it's something BMW will continue to improve upon.

It's not inconceivable that turbo charged engines will eventually behave like a naturally aspirated engine in every way plus with more power and torque.

Whatever the case, ultimate driving machine will in the end, be exactly what it means, ultimate driving machine. It will drive itself. In 10 or 20 years, the next battle ground for car companies will be the interior. As driving the car burden lessens, what will you be doing inside the car? What can car companies offer you that will persuade you to buy one over the other?
To some it's about numbers.
To others it's about feel.

Sometimes, choosing which car is the most fun is not a logical, but an emotional choice.

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 10:38 PM   #51
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
There's more to an engine than gobs of low-end torque.
Hell, if what you describe is the definition of fun-to-drive, we should all be driving diesels.

For BMW & M cars in particular, instantaneous throttle response, the theatrical noise and feel of revving out an engine, contributes to a more emotional and overall connection with the driving experience.
NA vs. turbocharging, in BMW's case, is analogous to hydraulic steering vs. electric steering. The latter in both cases, implemented because of ever-increasing environmental constraints.

There's been plenty of discussion on the E9X M3 and F8X boards (and other BMW forums not on this site) discussing this topic so [I] understand it's a dead horse by now.
But to say it's not a topic that is debatable and that everyone unanimously loves turbos would be a huge fallacy.

To some it's about numbers.
To others it's about feel.

Sometimes, choosing which car is the most fun is not a logical, but an emotional choice.
Still disagree. The 3L turbo engine (N54/N55/B58) is nothing like a diesel - they are award winning engines that rev quite nicely, have a flatter torque curve and are simply more responsive than their normally aspirated counterparts. The fact is, turbos today are not what they were way back when and while it is true emissions have a lot to do with it - the fact is they make it work - a lot better than electric steering. And while the numbers are better, so is the feel
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 10:53 PM   #52
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Still disagree. The 3L turbo engine (N54/N55/B58) is nothing like a diesel - they are award winning engines that rev quite nicely, have a flatter torque curve and are simply more responsive than their normally aspirated counterparts. The fact is, turbos today are not what they were way back when and while it is true emissions have a lot to do with it - the fact is they make it work - a lot better than electric steering. And while the numbers are better, so is the feel
I never said they are like diesels. The diesel remark was in reference to the torque argument, where you seem to put torque above response in terms of driving pleasure. Torque is not everything.
While they [N54/N55/B58] are impressive engines for what they are, I'd take an NA counterpart any day of the week.

More responsive than an NA unit? Don't make me laugh
Turbo-lag, no matter how minuscule, is turbo-lag.
A turbocharged engine will never match the response of an NA engine. You can't change the laws of physics.

You don't have to agree with me. I'm simply sharing the other point of view (i.e., arguable) on BMW's implementation of turbocharging since you thought its implementation is unanimously loved.

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 01:15 PM   #53
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
More responsive than an NA unit? Don't make me laugh
Turbo-lag, no matter how minuscule, is turbo-lag.
A turbocharged engine will never match the response of an NA engine. You can't change the laws of physics.

You don't have to agree with me. I'm simply sharing the other point of view (i.e., arguable) on BMW's implementation of turbocharging since you thought its implementation is unanimously loved.
Sorry, "much more responsive". I'm not waiting for the RPMs to craw up into the stratosphere before the car starts reacting.

And ok, unanimously except for one
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 01:23 PM   #54
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
This review boils down to time and place. I would probably also prefer the Lexus on that road. It is narrower, it is lighter, it handles the broken road surface better, and the power disadvantage is moot given the cold wet conditions.

Drive on German or Italian roads in the summer and it will be a totally different story.

That said the F10 M5 was not a great car because it wasn't effective at putting down power. It's 0-60 time was slower than even the cheaper Audi S6. BMWs e-diff was poorly designed and allowed too much slip. They designed the car for drifting, not for speed.

G series M5 will hopefully be a different story.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 02:47 PM   #55
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
This review boils down to time and place. I would probably also prefer the Lexus on that road. It is narrower, it is lighter, it handles the broken road surface better, and the power disadvantage is moot given the cold wet conditions.

Drive on German or Italian roads in the summer and it will be a totally different story.

That said the F10 M5 was not a great car because it wasn't effective at putting down power. It's 0-60 time was slower than even the cheaper Audi S6. BMWs e-diff was poorly designed and allowed too much slip. They designed the car for drifting, not for speed.

G series M5 will hopefully be a different story.
Agreed with road comments but disagreed with M5 comments.
F10 M5 is not designed for drift only and e-diff (Active M Differential ) is one of the best LSD out there but you can not repeal the laws of physic. With that said you can turn off the DSC and go for a complete scary drift if you are skilled enough person and still drive the car as a monster highway cruiser to beat almost every single car including exotic cars at rolling over 100 km/h or 60 mph. In case of 0-60 this is obvious AWD car has much better performance than a powerful RWD with frontward weight distribution. I admit M5/M6 have difficulty putting the power down but again this is the law of physic. I have the same issue putting the power down with my current M4 CP if I want to turn the DSC OFF. Almost the same issue I had with my M6 you are referring too...
There are some high light with M5 that we have to admit. DCT, Differential, Engine beside the suspension and comfortale seats are the main ones...
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 09:56 PM   #56
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Sorry, "much more responsive". I'm not waiting for the RPMs to craw up into the stratosphere before the car starts reacting.
I think you need a better understanding of throttle response.
You're talking about a powerband focused on low-end torque, which is not the same as throttle response.
Low-end torque or not, the time it takes from the opening of the throttle, to actual execution is not as fast as a naturally aspirated engine, which is near instantaneous. High-rpms is just a bonus

Try again.

Quote:
And ok, unanimously except for one
It's a topic beaten to death. There are many threads with more "dissenting" opinions like mine.

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 10:39 PM   #57
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I think you need a better understanding of throttle response.
You're talking about a powerband focused on low-end torque, which is not the same as throttle response.
Low-end torque or not, the time it takes from the opening of the throttle, to actual execution is not as fast as a naturally aspirated engine, which is near instantaneous. High-rpms is just a bonus

Try again.

It's a topic beaten to death. There are many threads with more "dissenting" opinions like mine.
Don't need to try... your "throttle response" comes at 4K+, mine comes at 1.5K+. You must drive at high RPMs all the time so have a different "understanding" of throttle response.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/fiat/...r-s-toyota-86/

"Associate editor Scott Evans said the engine was smooth and extremely responsive, and the steering was precise."

PS - and yes, this is a dig... I lusted for a E90 M3... and when the dealer finally sold their blue M3, I picked up the 1M. I assure you, the 1M puts a smile on my face 7/8ths of the time driving it - vs. what I expect the E90 M3 would have done (1/8th). That engine is like my old E60 M5 - torqueless (worse actually) and no fun whatsoever until the RPMs are way up there. That doesn't work for me. Sure, on the track it is probably very nice - but I just don't drive on that daily, weekly... crap, even monthly...
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 12:02 AM   #58
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
Agreed with road comments but disagreed with M5 comments.
F10 M5 is not designed for drift only and e-diff (Active M Differential ) is one of the best LSD out there but you can not repeal the laws of physic. With that said you can turn off the DSC and go for a complete scary drift if you are skilled enough person and still drive the car as a monster highway cruiser to beat almost every single car including exotic cars at rolling over 100 km/h or 60 mph. In case of 0-60 this is obvious AWD car has much better performance than a powerful RWD with frontward weight distribution. I admit M5/M6 have difficulty putting the power down but again this is the law of physic. I have the same issue putting the power down with my current M4 CP if I want to turn the DSC OFF. Almost the same issue I had with my M6 you are referring too...
There are some high light with M5 that we have to admit. DCT, Differential, Engine beside the suspension and comfortale seats are the main ones...
Quite a few magazine review complained that the M5 has power that the chassis can't handle. There are RWD cars out there with even more power and lighter weight that doesn't receive the same complaint. So I do believe there are some truths to that the F10 M5 has trouble putting the power down, that it could have been engineered better even in RWD form, maybe with something like four wheel steering, rear wheel steering whatever they call it.

SA said that the chassis has not kept up with the power development.

But it's a 2012 car, I'm sure BMW has learned a lot since then and will improve upon the weakness of the F10 M5.

Last edited by Phatcat; 02-25-2017 at 02:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 01:57 AM   #59
elitex
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M8C Coupe, 21 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Don't need to try... your "throttle response" comes at 4K+, mine comes at 1.5K+. You must drive at high RPMs all the time so have a different "understanding" of throttle response.

"Associate editor Scott Evans said the engine was smooth and extremely responsive, and the steering was precise."

PS - and yes, this is a dig... I lusted for a E90 M3... and when the dealer finally sold their blue M3, I picked up the 1M. I assure you, the 1M puts a smile on my face 7/8ths of the time driving it - vs. what I expect the E90 M3 would have done (1/8th). That engine is like my old E60 M5 - torqueless (worse actually) and no fun whatsoever until the RPMs are way up there. That doesn't work for me. Sure, on the track it is probably very nice - but I just don't drive on that daily, weekly... crap, even monthly...
I really don't think you understand what Law is talking about. Even the best of turbo engines are not as responsive as their NA counterparts, period. There's always the bit of rubber band feeling when the torque kicks in. Some doing it more noticeably than the others. Yes, this is the new norm, and yes turbo engines are much more useable everyday.

I've gone back and fourth between Turbo and non-turbo engines and end up lusting after the one I don't have. Best case scenario is to buy both types. Problem solved.

I am thinking Huracan performante and an M3. Perfect combo.
21 X5M MBB, 20 Evora GT, 20 C63S Coupe,19 X5 50i, 18 Giulia QV, 18 M5, 17 Evora 400, 18 LX570, 17 GT350,18 M4 Comp,17 R8 V10 ,17 M3 Comp,17 GT350,16 Escalade Plat ESV, 16 570S,16 911 GTS,15 M5, 15 LX570, 13 M5,13 Viper,14 Cayman S,13 M3,13 S4,10 RX8,12 A4,10 G37, 04 Mini Cooper S, 08 Scion TC, 06 Altima V6, 05 Altima, 01 Altima, 00 Altima, 94 Explorer, 92 Toyota Pickup, 98 Altima
Appreciate 1
Law6377.00
      02-25-2017, 03:05 AM   #60
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitex View Post
I really don't think you understand what Law is talking about. Even the best of turbo engines are not as responsive as their NA counterparts, period. There's always the bit of rubber band feeling when the torque kicks in. Some doing it more noticeably than the others. Yes, this is the new norm, and yes turbo engines are much more useable everyday.

I've gone back and fourth between Turbo and non-turbo engines and end up lusting after the one I don't have. Best case scenario is to buy both types. Problem solved.

I think they have different opinion on what is responsiveness. What exactly is throttle responsiveness? Are they talking about technical terms or what a driver would feel?

Most of NA engines has low torque at low rpm, so unless you are always at high rpm, NA engines can feel sluggish to a typical driver.

Meanwhile, modern turbo engine provides gobs of torque at low rpm, can get the car moving much more quickly than a NA engine. So on the street, where keeping the car at high rpm is nearly impossible, a well designed turbo car can feel more responsive to throttle input.

Turbo engines has gotten a lot better and will only get better since it is now at the center of engine development due to tougher emission laws for most of the car manufacturers. And also, we drive the car, not just the engine. Clever engineers will (and have) design other supplementary technology such as electric motor to help combat turbo lag and improve throttle responsiveness. That's why I said earlier that it is not inconceivable that a turbo engine or car will eventually have the good characteristics of a NA engine in every way and you won't be able to tell the difference.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 09:05 AM   #61
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I think they have different opinion on what is responsiveness. What exactly is throttle responsiveness? Are they talking about technical terms or what a driver would feel?

Most of NA engines has low torque at low rpm, so unless you are always at high rpm, NA engines can feel sluggish to a typical driver.

Meanwhile, modern turbo engine provides gobs of torque at low rpm, can get the car moving much more quickly than a NA engine. So on the street, where keeping the car at high rpm is nearly impossible, a well designed turbo car can feel more responsive to throttle input.

Turbo engines has gotten a lot better and will only get better since it is now at the center of engine development due to tougher emission laws for most of the car manufacturers. And also, we drive the car, not just the engine. Clever engineers will (and have) design other supplementary technology such as electric motor to help combat turbo lag and improve throttle responsiveness. That's why I said earlier that it is not inconceivable that a turbo engine or car will eventually have the good characteristics of a NA engine in every way and you won't be able to tell the difference.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 12:07 PM   #62
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:

You're still talking about low-end torque, which is not the same as throttle response. Nobody is disputing that a comparable turbocharged engine is torquier down-low than a high-revving NA engine.

In an NA engine, the throttle response is the same at any RPM, because when the throttle opens, the air is combusted instantaneously.
The driver gets 100% of the power and torque at a given RPM @ WOT as soon as the throttle is activated.
In a turbo engine, there is a lag in the delivery of power & torque at a given RPM @ WOT. The air is combusted sans boost and the turbine is not spinning until there is enough exhaust gases to bring the turbine up to full speed to deliver 100% of the power/torque @ a given RPM.
It doesn't matter how minuscule the lag is, it is always there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitex View Post

The rubber band feeling is exactly what i'm talking about.
Yes, in daily driving, it may be a moot point, as many may prefer a powerband that maximizes torque at low RPM, but for a nice weekend drive or track driving, there is little that can replace the feeling of instantaneous response of the throttle.

Quote:

Think of it this way.
The throttle of an NA engine is like an LED lightbulb. The light is activated instantly. It may be just a small LED, but it reaches full illumination right away and without delay.
One is in full control of how and when the light is activated and the lighting element is focused and sharp.
The throttle of a turbo engine is like a large incandescent lightbulb. While this large incandescent lightbulb may have a larger ray of light at full brightness than a single LED bulb, there is a noticeable delay between the time it takes from "off" to full illumination and the light is not as focused or sharp.

That's the difference.

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 12:37 PM   #63
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Think of it this way.
The throttle of an NA engine is like an LED lightbulb. The light is activated instantly. It may be just a small LED, but it reaches full illumination right away and without delay.
One is in full control of how and when the light is activated and the lighting element is focused and sharp.
The throttle of a turbo engine is like a large incandescent lightbulb. While this large incandescent lightbulb may have a larger ray of light at full brightness than a single LED bulb, there is a noticeable delay between the time it takes from "off" to full illumination and the light is not as focused or sharp.

That's the difference.
I think you got that reversed...

LED lights are often known for their delay in turning on

and I still disagree, because with your analogy, there of course is some delay for the turbo to spool up - but the same can be said with waiting until the RPMs are high enough to generate significant power on a NA engine - its the same thing.

Anyway... think we have beat this dead horse up bad. The fact is, turbos are here to stay, just like electric steering. So we either get used to them (still not there yet with my M2) or we keep holding on to our cars as long as possible.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 12:41 PM   #64
frisky
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 ///M5 Individual

M5 vs a Toyota? hahahahaha!
2016 ///M5 Individual | Frozen Cashmere Silver Metallic | Amaro Brown Full Leather w/ Custom Special Order White Contrast Stitching | Piano Black Trim | Custom Headliner | Competition Package w/ 601M wheels | Executive Package | Drivers Assistance Package | Bang & Olufsen |
European Delivery: October 10 2015 [Pictures here]
@friskygeek
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 12:48 PM   #65
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
I think you got that reversed...

LED lights are often known for their delay in turning on
Nope, actually, you got it reversed.
The thing on the right...that's turbo lag

Quote:
and I still disagree, because with your analogy, there of course is some delay for the turbo to spool up - but the same can be said with waiting until the RPMs are high enough to generate significant power on a NA engine - its the same thing.
It's not the same thing.
Having predictability & full control of the throttle is important in enthusiastic driving.

Quote:
Anyway... think we have beat this dead horse up bad. The fact is, turbos are here to stay, just like electric steering. So we either get used to them (still not there yet with my M2) or we keep holding on to our cars as long as possible.
Well, we may have buried this horse a few times here.
But 'twas a good discussion, even if you still have a few things misunderstood

Appreciate 1
Phatcat749.50
      02-25-2017, 01:18 PM   #66
Unicum
Registered
Rep
Drives: Chevrolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisky View Post
M5 vs a Toyota? hahahahaha!