M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

10-30-2019, 09:37 AM   #1
Montego335i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M5

Extended Maintenance Plan?

Hi,

In September I bought a 2016 M5 non-comp 6-speed CPO and the complimentary service is no longer transferred to the new owner. At the time, the dealer said it would cost $700 to transfer it to me. I declined. The car has about 17,000 miles on it. It's going to be my daily driver and I do about 8,000 - 9,000 per year. I have a lead foot but otherwise the car will never see a track.

Today, I dropped off my car at my local dealer for a few minor issues. My SA is recommending I get the maintenance plan transferred and upgraded to a longer plan. He said that the next service in April will cost around $600! For what an oil change? Prior to the M5, I've owned a 640 and 335 (manual) so I don't have experience with an M car. I used to either do the work myself (oil change, brake pads, and other easy stuff) or have an independent do the service. Anyone have experience with the extended maintenance plan with these M cars? Is it worth the money? I'm assuming it's not but I know some parts such as rotors and clutch kit are expensive but how often are those parts getting replaced in these cars? BTW, regarding the 335i I had it for about 10 years and never needed a clutch. I plan on keeping this car a long time as this will probably be the last manual I will ever get to own.

Thanks for your feedback!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 11:40 AM   #2
technician117
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2001 M5, 2013 M5 6MT

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montego335i View Post
Hi,

In September I bought a 2016 M5 non-comp 6-speed CPO and the complimentary service is no longer transferred to the new owner. At the time, the dealer said it would cost $700 to transfer it to me. I declined. The car has about 17,000 miles on it. It's going to be my daily driver and I do about 8,000 - 9,000 per year. I have a lead foot but otherwise the car will never see a track.

Today, I dropped off my car at my local dealer for a few minor issues. My SA is recommending I get the maintenance plan transferred and upgraded to a longer plan. He said that the next service in April will cost around $600! For what an oil change? Prior to the M5, I've owned a 640 and 335 (manual) so I don't have experience with an M car. I used to either do the work myself (oil change, brake pads, and other easy stuff) or have an independent do the service. Anyone have experience with the extended maintenance plan with these M cars? Is it worth the money? I'm assuming it's not but I know some parts such as rotors and clutch kit are expensive but how often are those parts getting replaced in these cars? BTW, regarding the 335i I had it for about 10 years and never needed a clutch. I plan on keeping this car a long time as this will probably be the last manual I will ever get to own.

Thanks for your feedback!
Congrats on joining the F10 M5 6MT club! ... and a 2016 to boot!

I can't fully answer your question mostly because I don't know what they cover and at what mileage under the plan. Also how many years/miles is it good for? $700 could be worth it honestly.

That said, I'm a huge proponent of DIY. I do all of my own work except tires and alignments and then it's only because I don't have the equipment! If you've done the maintenance on your prior cars, there's no reason you can't do it on this one. The F10 is pretty easy to work on and is pretty reliable.

I bought my car last year with 49k miles but no warranty or maintenance plan. I've put 16,000 miles on it and have only done basic maintenance on it besides a failed B&O amp and soft close door motor.

A downside of a maintenance plan is they will only do the work per the schedule. That probably means oil changes half as often as it should be changed, etc. So when you want stuff done on your time/mileage schedule, it will be out of pocket anyway.

What colors and options does your car have?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 01:03 PM   #3
Montego335i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M5

Thanks! Mine is Carbon Black with Silverstone interior. Only options are executive package and driving assistance package.

I should have mentioned that the $700 transfer fee covers the car until 4/2020. Which is also when the car is due for its next service appointment per BMW's schedule. I am sure the cost is in the thousands to extend it for several more years. As I think more about this, I am leaning toward not getting the extended maintenance plan and doing the basics myself. I guess I'll need to buy a better floor jack. I wish I had access to a lift in NJ.
Appreciate 0