10-02-2019, 03:23 AM   #1
umz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10

New Owner :) - M5 F10

Hi all,

New member here and new to the M5 world. Purchased a M5 F10 last week and I am in love! Wife hates me now!

Still getting used to everything, so taking it easy with the car right now, trying to get my head round all the different driving modes and what they are capable of. Not sure exactly what the best setting is for me yet but unfortunately with the UK weather there is not much testing i can do.

A few pics

Name:  file.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  344.1 KB

Name:  file1.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  400.3 KB

Any hints, tips and general information on the car would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all,
Ummer
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 08:21 AM   #2
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Congrats mate. When I showed the car to the wife first time she hadn't a clue how to start it or take the handbrake off and after offering her the handbook and explaining all the driving modes she said she didn't want to drive it ..actually she did once then not after that.
Yeah first time I was buried in the handbook for a few hours and programmed the M1 M2 driving modes. Easy on 1 then some sport modes on 2 not really bothering with the super sports then adjusting the EQ on the hi fi to my types of music.
After that all the small bits come to you when needed.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 08:41 AM   #3
BIMMERMANM5
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Congratulations on the new purchase, it looks nice. I purchased mine in June this year and its an amazing machine, I found it bit overwhelming at first and I was not sure I had done the right thing. After a few months I appreciate the car for what it is and its an awesome machine for the monies now.

What year is that? What sort of extras did you get on the car and how are you finding it?

For me it was my first M car, the DCT and all the settings took some time to familiarize. Mine only gets used on Saturdays and Sundays wish I could drive it more.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 10:45 AM   #4
umz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMERMANM5 View Post
Congratulations on the new purchase, it looks nice. I purchased mine in June this year and its an amazing machine, I found it bit overwhelming at first and I was not sure I had done the right thing. After a few months I appreciate the car for what it is and its an awesome machine for the monies now.

What year is that? What sort of extras did you get on the car and how are you finding it?

For me it was my first M car, the DCT and all the settings took some time to familiarize. Mine only gets used on Saturdays and Sundays wish I could drive it more.
Thank you.

I literally got the car last week and I agree, it is a little overwhelming. Im still getting used to things, so we are in the same boat.

Its a 63 plate. Its the LCI, so the fancy steering wheel and had to go with the red leathers. I wish it had the all round view on the car, makes life easier when parking. Im still getting used to the dimension, its a BIG car.

Im loving every minute of driving it and tbh not really given it any welly yet due to the s**t weather recently here. so not really felt what this car is capable of yet.

Currently doing some research on the exhaust, I want to wire open the valve for a little more noise, trying to find a step by step process on how to do it. Please let me know if you come across anything.

thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 04:58 AM   #5
BIMMERMANM5
Rep

I got mine in June so the weather was nice during July/Aug/Sep. Put it this way a few times it got the power down when the tires where up to temp and the tarmac was hot. It totally blew me away the fastest car I had driven and been in. I took it out for a drive last night and the yellow traction light kept flickering.

Like you said it is a big car, however I have the surround view on mine don't think I have ever used it. A reverse camera is a must if you ask me that I rely on when parking.

What sort of options do you have on your car?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 05:27 AM   #6
umz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I got mine in June so the weather was nice during July/Aug/Sep. Put it this way a few times it got the power down when the tires where up to temp and the tarmac was hot. It totally blew me away the fastest car I had driven and been in. I took it out for a drive last night and the yellow traction light kept flickering.

Like you said it is a big car, however I have the surround view on mine don't think I have ever used it. A reverse camera is a must if you ask me that I rely on when parking.

What sort of options do you have on your car?
Its is stupidly fast, i took it out for a welly last night, blown away! addictive!! Im the same, never owned a car this fast before.

I have front and rear sensors, do not have the camera option. I would like to have some cameras fitted, need to find where i can get them done, do you know if BMW do them? maybe even surround view, would be a lot easier parking! Still getting used to the "creep" mode, feel like it needs to be "creepier" in tighter spots lol

LCI Facelift (63)
Got the M seats, Red leathers
Harmon Kardon (i think) no emblems anywhere though (are they standard?)
Do not have the rear folding seats (which would have been nice tbh)

how about you?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 07:16 AM   #7
BIMMERMANM5
Rep

It is stupidly fast, and most roads in my area are too busy for me to use it anything near its full potential even half of its potential. Over the last few months its spends most of it time inEfficient Mode and Comfort etc..Yesterday I had it in M1 mode and it was rapid to a different level.

Mine:
63 Plate LCI Model
HK Sound System
Surround View
Reverse camera
M Multi Function Bigger Seats
LED Adaptive Front Lights (changes look of the front end and turn as u take a corner)
Heated Front Seats
Cooled Front Seats
Heated Rear Seats
Comfort Access
Soft Close Doors
Power Boot LID
20inch Alloys

I jumped on this one straight away it was based on the other side of the country, I have mine running on a full comprehensive BMW Warranty, anything goes wrong with these your paying £££££
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 09:00 AM   #8
umz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
It is stupidly fast, and most roads in my area are too busy for me to use it anything near its full potential even half of its potential. Over the last few months its spends most of it time inEfficient Mode and Comfort etc..Yesterday I had it in M1 mode and it was rapid to a different level.

Mine:
63 Plate LCI Model
HK Sound System
Surround View
Reverse camera
M Multi Function Bigger Seats
LED Adaptive Front Lights (changes look of the front end and turn as u take a corner)
Heated Front Seats
Cooled Front Seats
Heated Rear Seats
Comfort Access
Soft Close Doors
Power Boot LID
20inch Alloys

I jumped on this one straight away it was based on the other side of the country, I have mine running on a full comprehensive BMW Warranty, anything goes wrong with these your paying £££££
Mate you got the full whack!! i feel like i want the surround view to make it easier parking.

Yeh roads are similar here, however yesterday i took it onto some carriageways, put it into M2 yesterday, i have that setting at Sports + everything, traction ON and paddle shift, absolute monster! actually scared myself a little, ngl.

looking into some dashcams now and i think the fully comprehensive warranty sounds like a good idea, if you dont mind me asking, how much it cost you, and what does it cover exactly?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 09:22 AM   #9
BIMMERMANM5
Rep

Reverse Camera is good for sure. Fully Comp Warranty if the car is under 60k miles cost me one of payment around £900 (annual cover) I think with a £150 access per claim. But if the Turbo, DCT or Engine was to pop you are looking at tens of thousands for replacement engine. The amount of cars on Auto Trader stating New Engine fitted by BMW warrants a BMW warranty for sure.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 10:55 AM   #10
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Reverse Camera is good for sure. Fully Comp Warranty if the car is under 60k miles cost me one of payment around £900 (annual cover) I think with a £150 access per claim. But if the Turbo, DCT or Engine was to pop you are looking at tens of thousands for replacement engine. The amount of cars on Auto Trader stating New Engine fitted by BMW warrants a BMW warranty for sure.
Just renewed mine at £875 with £250 excess includes breakdown etc

Only covered 15,800 miles but its worth it, if I sell the car then its definitely a great selling point
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 10:56 AM   #11
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by umz View Post
Thank you.

I literally got the car last week and I agree, it is a little overwhelming. Im still getting used to things, so we are in the same boat.

Its a 63 plate. Its the LCI, so the fancy steering wheel and had to go with the red leathers. I wish it had the all round view on the car, makes life easier when parking. Im still getting used to the dimension, its a BIG car.

Im loving every minute of driving it and tbh not really given it any welly yet due to the s**t weather recently here. so not really felt what this car is capable of yet.

Currently doing some research on the exhaust, I want to wire open the valve for a little more noise, trying to find a step by step process on how to do it. Please let me know if you come across anything.

thanks in advance
Buy an exhaustmeister does what you want properly
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 12:24 PM   #12
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
Congratz!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 03:05 AM   #13
umz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
Buy an exhaustmeister does what you want properly
Yeh, i have come across people talking about them in the forums, i might look into one, can you buy one from the UK?

thank you.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 03:57 AM   #14
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yeh, i have come across people talking about them in the forums, i might look into one, can you buy one from the UK?

thank you.
I got mine from a member on here, but have a google search. Took 20 mins to fit and does exactly what you want

I find it gets tiresome on motorways etc if you just wire them open as they drone so closing them with the remote is better
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 04:33 AM   #15
umz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I got mine from a member on here, but have a google search. Took 20 mins to fit and does exactly what you want

I find it gets tiresome on motorways etc if you just wire them open as they drone so closing them with the remote is better
Thanks for that Want to avoid drone. Just a little more sound and i am happy.

Looking for some Carbon tips as well, finding it difficult to find any online tbh and i wanted to know if anyone around here has any dashcams fitted, BMW Advanced Eye 2 or a different one that they fitted themselves.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 05:52 AM   #16
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for that Want to avoid drone. Just a little more sound and i am happy.

Looking for some Carbon tips as well, finding it difficult to find any online tbh and i wanted to know if anyone around here has any dashcams fitted, BMW Advanced Eye 2 or a different one that they fitted themselves.

Thanks in advance
I got these and they are excellent, direct from China

https://kemir.en.alibaba.com/product...c4977bda4wPwol
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 06:05 AM   #17
umz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I got these and they are excellent, direct from China

https://kemir.en.alibaba.com/product...c4977bda4wPwol
Thanks mate, Ill have a look at them, are they straight bolt on? no customisation required?

My assumption is that to fit on stock, i require the 70mm inlet diameter, but what length do i require (130mm or the 115mm)? i want to maybe poke them out a little more than stock from the bumper as im currently looking at a rear diffuser.

thank you
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 08:00 AM   #18
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks mate, Ill have a look at them, are they straight bolt on? no customisation required?

My assumption is that to fit on stock, i require the 70mm inlet diameter, but what length do i require (130mm or the 115mm)? i want to maybe poke them out a little more than stock from the bumper as im currently looking at a rear diffuser.

thank you
Yes straight bolt on, the carbon part on mine are 100mm but email them as they are very helpful
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 06:20 AM   #19
C320
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 911 Turbo S, X5 40i, XC90 T5

Congrats on the new motor mate, sounds great. I was looking at getting one a while back but ended up with an X6 M, which is massive. Car parks are a bit of a pain, but I know what you mean about the power. This BMW S63 powerplant is insane!

There are a number of reputable BMW coders out there that could retrofit the reverse camera and even Surround view (although the latter is a lot more £££ as you'd be replacing both mirrors. The reverse camera is a much easier mod. I can recommend a guy near Southampton/Portsmouth, it's a bit of a trek but he enabled Speed limit display for me and he's retrofitted just about every option on other peoples cars.

I'm pretty sure the HK logo should be on the tweeters, so it sounds like you've got the base BMW Professional HiFi (which I believe is unusual on the F10 M5 as most appear to have HK).
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 11:46 AM   #20
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by C320 View Post
Congrats on the new motor mate, sounds great. I was looking at getting one a while back but ended up with an X6 M, which is massive. Car parks are a bit of a pain, but I know what you mean about the power. This BMW S63 powerplant is insane!

There are a number of reputable BMW coders out there that could retrofit the reverse camera and even Surround view (although the latter is a lot more £££ as you'd be replacing both mirrors. The reverse camera is a much easier mod. I can recommend a guy near Southampton/Portsmouth, it's a bit of a trek but he enabled Speed limit display for me and he's retrofitted just about every option on other peoples cars.

I'm pretty sure the HK logo should be on the tweeters, so it sounds like you've got the base BMW Professional HiFi (which I believe is unusual on the F10 M5 as most appear to have HK).
I looked at retrofitting surround view on my 530D and using genuine parts was about £1200 that was drilling the existing mirrors etc, surround view is nice but in reality it’s only the reverse camera that I really trust.

Spend your money on a warranty
Appreciate 1
C320340.50
      10-06-2019, 04:32 AM   #21
C320
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 911 Turbo S, X5 40i, XC90 T5

Quote:
I looked at retrofitting surround view on my 530D and using genuine parts was about £1200 that was drilling the existing mirrors etc, surround view is nice but in reality it’s only the reverse camera that I really trust.

Spend your money on a warranty
That would be my advice too, reverse camera is an easier and cheaper retrofit and probably more useful than surround view. The remaining money would be definitely be much wisely spent on a warranty. I wouldn't want to run any modern M car without the BMW warranty.

I have surround view on the X6 M and whilst it's a cool function, the reverse camera is the most useful part of it.
Appreciate 1
OneExtra809.50
      10-07-2019, 09:18 AM   #22
BIMMERMANM5
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by C320 View Post
That would be my advice too, reverse camera is an easier and cheaper retrofit and probably more useful than surround view. The remaining money would be definitely be much wisely spent on a warranty. I wouldn't want to run any modern M car without the BMW warranty.

I have surround view on the X6 M and whilst it's a cool function, the reverse camera is the most useful part of it.
What is the x6 M like to drive? it has the same s63 engine right? I like the look of these and been looking at these. The 4 wheel drive nature and the high driving position is tempting over an M5. But the price of these, decent F10 M5 25K but 40k for an X6. But it is a bigger and a premium car from what i understand.
Appreciate 0