M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

02-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #1
anthony @ eas
United_States
Rep
Drives: R56 Cooper S

Singapore Grey M5: Gruppe M Intake Installed (Photos)

We had the opportunity to install the Gruppe M ram air intake on this Singapore Gray M5 so I snapped some photos of the finished product. Enjoy.

Modifications:
Akrapovic Evolution Titanium Exhaust System
Gruppe M Ram Air Intake
H&R Sport Lowering Springs
Macht Schnell Competition Wheel Spacers (12mm front, 10mm rear)

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 03:05 PM   #2
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

I know this might be a far fetched question but I was wondering if you have any dyno's of before and after with the intake. Just looking for someone to post if the system actually makes any power like Gruppe M claims. For the record I'm still skeptical, but I'd like to be proven wrong.

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
anthony @ eas
United_States
Rep
Drives: R56 Cooper S

Here's a before/after dyno comparison we did with a previous M5:

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
Nate@IND
Rep
Drives: BMW

Very nice guys
      02-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #5
mindlessmark07
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Jon's M5 is truly stunning!!!

MindlessMark07
///2013 M5 Alpine White/Black,Orange County CA\\\
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 04:28 PM   #6
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Very nice. Might have to look into this.

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 04:28 PM   #7
Jon///M5
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Thanks guys!! Can't wait for the rain to stop so I can get on it to feel the difference. Looks and sounds amazing.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #8
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

Looking good Jon. Can't wait to hear how it sounds.
'10 E60 M5, Space Gray/Black
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #9
Jon///M5
Rep

Thanks Chris! I'll be at C&C tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #10
runningthingz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Frozen White M5

Looks great Jon! Nice dyno numbers too.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 10:19 PM   #11
Jon///M5
Rep

Those weren't mine. Someone else's. Hopefully getting my Dyno done soon.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 05:31 AM   #12
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony @ eas View Post
We had the opportunity to install the Gruppe M ram air intake on this Singapore Gray M5 so I snapped some photos of the finished product. Enjoy.
Great pictures, and I especially like the transparent hood effect. When the Gruppe M intake first came out I was skeptical that it would provide any HP increase over the stock intake. As I remember from reading the first posts of the Gruppe M install from both pro and owner installations, and I could be mistaken, nobody happened to mention the apparently very restrictive charcoal filter that is also in the stock intake tract. There were pictures of the normal air filter, but not a word about the presence of the charcoal filter. For you professional types, when you first opened the air-box, wasn't that an AHA! moment? Did anyone think to test the stock intake on the dyno, first with the charcoal filter in and then removed? Is it possible that any HP increase from the Gruppe M intake is totally due to the elimination of that charcoal filter? Or, is everyone who buys or installs/sells this intake determined to show at least some HP increase from the $3,500 cosmetic addition in the engine compartment so they can somehow justify the expense?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 04:57 PM   #13
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be View Post
Great pictures, and I especially like the transparent hood effect. When the Gruppe M intake first came out I was skeptical that it would provide any HP increase over the stock intake. As I remember from reading the first posts of the Gruppe M install from both pro and owner installations, and I could be mistaken, nobody happened to mention the apparently very restrictive charcoal filter that is also in the stock intake tract. There were pictures of the normal air filter, but not a word about the presence of the charcoal filter. For you professional types, when you first opened the air-box, wasn't that an AHA! moment? Did anyone think to test the stock intake on the dyno, first with the charcoal filter in and then removed? Is it possible that any HP increase from the Gruppe M intake is totally due to the elimination of that charcoal filter? Or, is everyone who buys or installs/sells this intake determined to show at least some HP increase from the $3,500 cosmetic addition in the engine compartment so they can somehow justify the expense?
I'm gonna jump back in on this as well. What Used2Be is talking about here makes a lot of sense now that we are seeing some independent dyno's on only the removal of the charcoal filters. Funny how no-one seemed to speak up after Used2Be's comments. So far we've gotten a +15hp(Fly M5) and +11hp(M5ccibro) compared to an +11hp gain from the Gruppe M Intake independent dyno run, seems to me these numbers are a little too close for comfort. A long time ago I saw some dyno from Gruppe M themselves claiming around +25hp gain when they first introduced their intake system. At that time, I personally did not believe it. I tend not to put any stock unless I see multiple users get the same results. I'm not saying that the Gruppe M intake system is a bad thing, because I surely love the way it looks, I'm just saying that there are too many inconsistencies to back up their horsepower claims.

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 07:25 PM   #14
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Conflict of interest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Funny how no-one seemed to speak up after Used2Be's comments. So far we've gotten a +15hp(Fly M5) and +11hp(M5ccibro) compared to an +11hp gain from the Gruppe M Intake independent dyno run, seems to me these numbers are a little too close for comfort. A long time ago I saw some dyno from Gruppe M themselves claiming around +25hp gain when they first introduced their intake system.
I noticed that none of the after market suppliers thought to respond to my post and thought it odd also. It bothers me that Gruppe M would claim 25 HP in their advertising, but even more that the businesses who sell the product, and have dyno testing capability, decided to ignore the restrictive stock charcoal filter during their install procedures prior to the dyno runs. And, as I've learned from other posts, the charcoal filter is not a new addition to BMW intakes, so the experience of these tuners should have told them that it was a definite restriction and plays a role in HP production, or lack of it. Those businesses did report accurate dyno figures, but failed to attribute the results in the appropriate way. My cynical side tells me these same companies sell the Gruppe M products, and with the hefty price tag there is most likely also a hefty profit margin! Disappointing, as most of us must rely on their expertise to make our decision of which performance products to spend our money on.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 12:29 AM   #15
Alen E90
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i TiAg

WOOOOW, that is one super SICK engine bay....

TiAg FTW!
Appreciate 0